The institution

By Essien_Eno

Ugly events around Ivie Momoh's life made her preoccupied with a revolutionary three point agenda; to get her... More

The institution episode 1
The institution episode 2
The Institution episode 3
The institution episode 4
The institution episode 5
The institution episode 6
The institution episode 7
The institution episode 8
The institution episode 9
The institution episode 10
The institution episode 11
The institution episode 12
The institution episode 13
The institution episode 14
The institution episode 15
The institution episode 16
The institution episode 17
The institution episode 18
The institution episode 19
The institution episode 20
The institution episode 21
The institution episode 22
The institution episode 23
The institution episode 24
The institution episode 25
The institution episode 26
The institution episode 28
The institution episode 29
Thr institution episode 30
The institution episode 31
The institution episode 32
The institution episode 33
The institution episode 34
The institution episode 35
The institution episode 36
The institution episode 37
The institution episode 38
The institution episode 39
The institution episode 40
The institution episode 41 (Final episode)

The institution episode 27

567 131 7
By Essien_Eno

The institution episode 27

****

Liam walked Into the detainees room to see Efe. Efe frowned on seeing him and Liam almost chuckled.
"What are you doing here?"
"I'm not thrilled to see you either" Liam answered taking his seat.
"I didn't ask you to sit"
"I didn't need your permission" he answered.
"See Efe, I know you're Mommy and Daddy's spoilt brats and you're used to getting things however way you want it but I want you to know things are going to be different from now on"
"You're wrong! I'll be out of here before you know it"
"Don't hold your breath Efe, don't even bet on it cause you won't be getting out of this easily" "Is that a threat?"
"It's called facts; I'm just placing it on the table. The evidence against you is quite incriminating and we're looking at 10-15years and that's after an appeal, cause I'm pretty sure your parents will not agree with the main ruling"
"10 years for what?"
"Attempting to murder my client Uki Benson, for assaulting Ese Momoh and raping her too" 
"I had sex with my girlfriend. Tell me, When is that ever wrong?"
"You did it without her consent, it's her word against yours"
"What do you want?"
"I want you to plead guilty and possibly receive a fair and reduced sentence. It'll be for your good, if this goes to court"
"I'll win and you'll lose. Wanna bet?"

Delilah Godwin placed her hands on the desk, her piercing and deeply shadowed eyes didn't leave her husband who sitting across from her queen his fingers interlaced.
"Are you not going to do anything about Efe? Are you going to fold your hands and watch this happen? You're the governor for crying out loud"
"Have you been watching the news of recent?" He asked and she scoffed.
"What kind of useless question is that? Who cares about what those idiots say on the news? My son is all I care about. He slept in jail last night, how can the Governor's son sleep in jail?" She busted into Bini and Samuel tightened his fist.
"That Liam has his finger prints all over this already. The people are now openly requesting for open trials in court, it's trending all over social media already. He even announced it a while ago on radio; not like I listen to the idiot but...." He stalled then he cleared his throat as though something got stucked in it.

"I was shown some commentaries made by people and it was bad honey. I've made calls but it's the power of the masses that's working against me now"
Delilah busted into tears, "I still wonder why you're still keeping that William guy alive. Kill him off already!"
"How am I supposed to do that  without the press thinking I have something to with it. Infact that's what that boy is waiting for so he can pounce on me"
"Are you scared of that boy? Where is that husband I married? The man who put Ivie Momoh in prison without thinking twice, the man who had her father murdered, the man who had his own friends murdered, the man who wouldn't think twice before taking obstacles off his way to progress? Where is that man cause I can't seem to find him anymore" she snapped and Samuel tried escaping her piercing look.
"My hands are tied, it doesn't mean that I won't do anything about it"
"I'm going to find my way out of this even if you don't" she picked up her phone from the desk, walking out of his office.
Delilah immediately puts a call through to Babylon.
"Hello sis"
"What are you doing concerning your nephew's situation?" She asked and he opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out.
"Didn't you listen to the news? Or I'm I the only one who's worried here?"
"You're not the only one Delilah, I've been dealing with my own problems too, mixed with the election excitement. We can't afford to lose, we have to focus on the campaign too"
"On the campaign? Oh really Babylon, really? The campaign is much more important than your own nephew, your Godson"
"I'm dealing with my own problem okay? Someone entered into my house to steal important documents that might incriminate us"
"Let me guess, you let a slut steal from you"
"When you put it that way..."
"It's your mess, clean it up! Find her family, use it as bait. Do I need to tell you what to do?"
"I already did that. I'm waiting for feedbacks"
"I don't have the time for your sloppiness now, I'm trying to handle my son's own" she sighed.
"I have enough on my plate, maybe later"
"Don't you dare hang up on me" she snapped and he hung up.

****

Rachel's aunt called up a local healer, Oto, from the village to attend to Chopper's injury.
"Na gun shot be this oh" he complained. "Na hunter do am, we being dey inside farm"
"Farm? Why you dey lie like this? This no be hunter bullet" he asked turning towards Racheal who immediately looked away.
"How you for take know? Oto, abeg no just ask too much question way go cause me headache, you fit help am or not?"
"You dey inside trouble?" He asked and they both looked away. He examined Uki's pulse.
"The guy done almost reach him ancestors place"
"Him don kpai? (Is he dead?)" Rachael asked and he shook his head. I for help am but e go cost oh"
"Like how much?"

****

Delilah paid a visit to Mrs Oscar. She was allowed into the house by the house help. Mrs Oscar walked in the sitting room where she was seated, her legs crossed as she paid little attention to the TV program.
"When my help told me you were around, I almost didn't believe it." "Why? Is it a bad thing to visit a friend?"
"The last time you visited was eight years ago after my husband's death. I don't think I've talked to you since then"
"It's not my fault, I've been busy"
"I'll be going out soon, what should I offer you?"
"Nothing"
"You cannot just come like that without taking anything"
"No need, I'm fine, I don't have the appetite to eat ever since I heard the news of my son's arrest"
"I heard of it too. How are you holding up?" She asked and Delilah refrained from batting her eyes at her.
How was she supposed to feel?
"As a mother, how am I supposed to feel?" She asked, "I'm sorry but the allegations against him, ordering the death of a young guy"
"Did you believe in those lies?" She busted into tears, "I don't know the real truth but Efe has always been stubborn. I've known that boy since he was small, always causing troubles."
"I didn't come to discuss this with you. I came so you can be a friend to me"
"Pele (Sorry) What do you want me to do?"
"Speak to you stupid son!" She snapped, Mrs Oscar was taken back by the insult but she tried to remain calm.
"What does William has to do with this?"
"He's the one supporting the boy. I know your son hates my husband but going as far as accusing my son of a crime he didn't commit; that's low, even for him"
"If you're asking for my honesty, I think you should just let this unfold however way it can. If Efe has to spend time for bad behavior, maybe then he can learn some lesson that there is a day for the thief and another day for the owner" she answered and Delilah raised her brow at her.
"Are you serious right now?"
"What did I say that you're getting angry already? You called my son stupid and I didn't get angry, now I'm giving you my advice as a mother and a friend and you're getting angry"
"Wow you're just a stupid as your son and he'll end up six feet like his stupid father!" She rose up.
"Dapada! (Back to the sender)  How dare you? How dare you open that mouth to insult me, to insult the memory of my husband and threaten my son? Should I remind you that I'm older than you! You haven't even gotten married when I had my child" she snapped and the maids rushed out to witness the scene.
"Should I remind you that I'm now the governor's wife and I have three kids, how many do you have?"
"I have just one but that one child is better than three of your children!" She snapped and Delilah busted into insults in Bini.
"You go around acting like you're perfect, still calling yourself Mrs Oscar, are you still married to your dead husband?" She snapped,  "You're very stupid!" Mrs Oscar answered back in bini.
"Oh please get over your hate already! It's so obvious you're still jealous of my family and I don't blame you, my husband was enviable in all ways but yours is nothing to write home about. How long are you going to keep on covering your children's dirts ehn? Let me tell you one thing you lack my dear, home training! You lack home training and you don't even have anything to impact on your children" she continued and Delilah kept quiet.
"I can speak your language fluently, are you shocked?" She busted into English.
"You think you're the only one with language?" She added then she continued in Yoruba.
"Iyawo radarada (useless wife), Oniranu (up to good), Ikeji aja! (Next to a dog) kuro ni ile mi (Leave my house)" she gestured towards the door, it wasn't hard for Delilah to know she wanted her out.
"Back to sender!" Delilah snapped.
"Shebi you were acting like you're the only one with language" Mrs Oscar answered in English then she opened the door widely.
"Leave before I call security"
"I'll leave, but you'll be seeing me again and you're going to come back pleading on your knees, asking for mercy"
"Useless talk, I don't blame you, I blame the mother that gave you two that stupid name, Delilah and Babylon! Must you two always cause trouble? Abeg leave!" She yelled and Delilah did.

Two men knocked on the door and an old woman opened up and they barged in pointing a gun at her and her two daughters that were in the room.
"Tina!" They called out and none of them answered.
They had no idea who Tina was. "Where's Tina?" The other yelled and they all fell to their knees. "We no know anything Tina, abeg we no get any money for this house" the old woman answered and it dawned on them Rachel had dropped a fake address.
They both went out putting a call through to Bisi.
"Have you caught the bitch?"
"No Ma, it's as if we've been played. This babe dropped fake addresses oh, and I'm sure the name is even fake. This is the second place we're checking"
"Babylon will not like to hear that, you have her picture, she couldn't have given that address if it's not a street she knows. Go around and ask people if they know her,  even if you have to pretend to be a helper. You must get that girl here alive, Babylon will do the honors of killing her" she answered then she hung up.

****

Babylon watched a rerun of the news about Efe's arrest and Delilah entered angrily then she picked up a remote turning the television off.
"Why would you be feeding your mind with this poison?" She snapped and Babylon laughed.
"Hello sister"
"Save your mindless greetings for yourself" she moved to the wine bar then she poured herself a wine into a glass then she gulped it all.
"Someone looks pissed off"
She poured herself another then she dramatically walk back to him, "Pissed off brother is a understatement far from how I actually feel. I just want to get a knife and stab through that woman! What does she feel like ehn? Like her life is better than mine?"
"And who is this person? I'll have her dead before the end of the day"
"Ireti Paulina Oscar" she answered and Babylon laughed.
"It might take a while to penetrate but we can make it look like natural death and hey! No one will think it was done by us" he answered and Delilah laughed at him.
"You make me laugh Babylon. These days I look at you and I don't know who you are anymore. Maybe it's old age affecting you but you're not the Babylon I knew. The Babylon I knew wouldn't hesitate to make that call. You would have had her dead in one hour, who are you and what have to done to my brother?" She asked and he scoffed collecting the drink from her.
"The old Babylon was reckless" he drank up and she scoffed.
"I loved you that way brother" she sat close to him rolling her eyes.
"Have you been to the police station to see your son?"
"No child of mine will make me stoop that low, I mean the press will be everywhere. Do you know how much I avoided them today?"
"He's your son and if I know Efe so well, he'll be angry at you now"
"We'll hug it out when he gets released obviously" "She answered and Babylon gave her a look. He wasn't sure he would be released soon.
"What?"
"His girlfriend accused him of rape and assault, it's going to court soon. Barrister James called"
"Why did that idiot have to date a Momoh? Those people are relentless aren't they? And that fool of a Governor? What's he doing with his power? Can't you advise him well?  If I get that idiot boy who did this? I'll kill him"
"That'll be reckless. The report was intentional so we don't have to kill him, I got the message clearly."
"Can you believe he compared her son to my entire children just because I begged for her to tell that stupid idiot to back down from prosecuting my son" she snapped.
"Would it have killed Samuel to grace my womb with one child that doesn't have to give me headache? If it's not drugs, it's rape or fraud" she complained in tears and Babylon chuckled.
"It all boils down to your old feelings for the one person you ever really like. The one that could never be yours, Ben Oscar" he chuckled and she scoffed.
She had always hated the topic about Ben. Babylon wasn't wrong anyway, she fell in love with Ben Oscar the first time she met him but unfortunately for her, he was already married.
"We need leverage over this people, we need something that will make them back down" she answered cleaning her tears off.
"We don't have anything on Liam, he's clean"
"I mean that peasant boy, does he have parents? Relatives? Round them up, if these guys want fire, we'll give them fire. Uki might just have no choice but to step down" she smirked and Babylon grinned picking up his phone.

****
"Mama Uki, you hear wetin dem talk for news about Uki?" One of the customer asked and Mama Uki rolled her eyes.
"Wetin you hear?" She asked raising her nose in disbelief, two of her neighbors spoke about it that morning.
"Him say the governor pikin stab am for belle. Them don arrest am now"
"Why una like to spread rumor like this? How my Uki go take know Governor pikin, even though him com know this Governor pikin; Uki resemble person way go cause trouble?" She asked and the man shook his head.
"But"
"Na another person you see, God dey create people in twos"

The man coughed uncontrollably in Mama Uki's eating place and Mama Uki passed him a cup of water and he drank it all.
"Take am easy" she advised then walked up to her sales girl, Esther.
"I dey go Women's meeting for market side. I no go tay"
"Mrs Emotan meeting?" Esther asked and she gave a gentle nod.

****

Uki called up his friend Matthew to get his books from his house and he agreed. "Can you trust him?" Ese asked and he nodded.
"Matthew is a colleague and a friend. I trust him"
"I can help you get your books and textbooks"
"You don't have to stress yourself, Mathew will help me out"

****

Mutey watched Elsie stare at the food before her as though there was a large cockroach walking in it. He had invited her for lunch in a cafeteria, he noticed she wasn't in a good mood.
"Are you okay?" He asked and she shook her head.
"Wanna talk about it?" He asked and she forced a smile.
"Is it true Ese is suing the governor's son for rape?" She asked and Mutey nodded.
"Yes"
"And you haven't done anything about it?"
"I would have punched him in the face but, what the hell? The guy is in jail" "It's actually shocking you know? It's not everyday you hear that the Governor's son has been arrested"
"You're right"
"For the first time, it looks as though Justice will be served at last"
"Yeah. Um.. remember I agreed to talk to you about everything"
"Uh huh?" Elsie looked interested.
"I found out that Dad's death was a plot ochestrated by the governor"
"Oh my God" she covered her mouth with her palm then she wondered how Else would feel knowing she was dating the son of the man who murdered her father.
"How did you find out?"
"Efe said it indirectly to Ese"
"How does Ese feel about this?"
"I haven't spoken to her. Everyone's preoccupied with one thing or the other. Exam will be beginning next week and there's going to be a court case. The timing is so bad"
"You're right but it'll be cool if Justice prevails"
"It's going to be a war and we don't know who's going to win" Mutey answered and Elsie placed her hand over his.
"There's always war before peace. Do you know the Governor's Special adviser?"
"Babylon, why are you asking?"
"I'm not supposed be say anything but I found out...." She looked around then she glanced back at Mutey. "He was the one who killed Judith, my roommate"
"How sure are you?"
"I'm positive he did and I really want to investigate this"
"Don't even dare , I'm serious Elsie. If you want it investigated you'll let the right people know like my sister"
"I thought she didn't want to get involved in all this stuff"
"It's all hoax, they have a plan okay? Whatever you want to do, just let the right people know. Don't do anything stupid"

****

While Esther bent down to wash utensils and dirty plates, she saw a shadow hover over her. She looked up staring at a scary face.
"Where Mama Uki?" Jack asked.

****

Emotan, junior sister to Eghosa called for a general women's meeting to educate them on who to vote; she was a sole supporter of SDPN
The turn out was not as expected, there were only thirty six women present, meanwhile she expected about eighty or hundred women.
She decided to make do with the number but her greatest worry was having Samuel's tout ruin the meeting.
She leaned her hands against the podium.
"Women e dey?" She hailed, "E dey!" The women chorused, "E fine?"
"E fine!"
"E dey okay?" She answered and a few answered others looked away. It was just she response she needed to start off her speech.
"Are we not tired of seeing nonsense things happen In this state? Are we still going to fold her hands and watch the Governor Samuel become governor again?" She asked and some of the women's face contorted into a confused one.
They were obviously puzzled since Benson was the candidate and not Samuel who had already spent eight years on seat.
"Don't be confused, I know what I'm saying. Or as our children will say, if you know, you know. We all know Benson is like a rash under Samuel's buttocks and he scratches it whenever he so feels like." She clarified with a wry smile.
"In order words, Benson na Samuel house boy, yes na me talk am! We can't let this kind of thing continue, enough is enough!"
"Yes oh!" Some session of women chorused clapping their hands.
"How many of our lands our dear politicians don build their hotels and clubs on top? For money wey no reach us to buy chewing gum" She stated, "Abi oh" the women agreed.
"Shebi Delilah Samuel Godwin say she go raise head on top girl child matter, she promise us many good things if we vote for her husband. She say her husband go build schools and make education free, say she," she paused clearing her throat.
"Feel free to draw me go back if I dey wrong. She say she go establish program we go enable people government to dey feed all secondary school children, FFP about wetin them call am? It's been more two years and that program hasn't been active until thiselection time, why? So we can vote for NDP all over again." She tapped her fingers angrily on the podium.
"How long we go keep quiet make government sit down on top our head? Our leadership don sour sotay e be like food wey man no fit warm chop again. What's the way forward? Make we change leadership and who's the right candidate? Morris Osagie. If we fit stand by this man, if only we fit stand by this man, things go better pass as e be now" she answered and the women busted in applause.
"Some ushers brought out gift bags then they began sharing it.
"We no go leave out the normal parole of sharing cups of rice but I want you to know that it is never enough; but be of good cheer cause Morris will definitely empower the women, he has great ideas to help us out. No forget to get your PVC and also vote for Morris Osagie for governor" she advised and the women busted into another round of applause then she mounted down from the stage while her niece, Dorathy walked towards her.
"I have the full video Aunt, should I upload it on the Facebook page?" She asked and Emotan nodded gently while her eyes caught Uki's mom walked towards her direction.
"Share it on the Facebook page and send it to the Media team too and to Mrs Osagie too"
"Yes Ma" she swiped through her phone and Emotan sighted Mama Uki coming her direction then she smiled.
"I'm shocked you came"
"I saw the flex, I had to come for myself to hear what you had to say. Sorry the crowd was not much; women here are blinded and they all support Benson"
"Very soon, people will come around. I have faith"
"All those things you were saying about Governor Samuel and his wife Delilah; you no dey fear?"
"Of what? I've seen this animals at their worst"
"What if you end up like your sister? Personally i know say na them kill that woman"
"I'm not scared of them. Very soon, breeze go blow, chicken yansh go show (Very soon secrets will be revealed)" she answered and then a black van drove in with speed then it halted besides them.
Three scary looking man stepped out walking towards them and Emotan scoffed, not like she didn't expect to see goons disrupt their activities.
At least they came in late.
All eyes fell on them.
  "See wetin I dey talk" Mama Uki whispered, "Nothing go happen" Emotan answered.
"Wetin dey happen for here?" One of the men, Jack asked and Emotan smiled.
"It was a rally for SDPN"
"For NDP state? You no know say e dey against the law" He asked and she busted into a hearty laughter.
"I get baffled when illiterates spill dumb words. What do you know about the law? The last time I checked, we're in  a democratic dispensation but you would have known if the governor had invested in knowledge and education rather than raising political thugs"
"Na me you dey use style yab so?" Jack asked and Emotan scoffed.
"You probably have no clue of what I just said. You guys don't scare me one bit, I'd rather not waste time talking to thugs but what can I say, maybe I can change your mind and make you change sides" she answered and Jack spat out.
"God forbid! Benson till 2023"
"You're ignorant!"
"Madam I didn't come for you cause if I did. I for those start to throway bullet here but I come for her" he motioned towards  at Mama Uki and Emotan blocked him.
"Why?" She asked and he scratched the surface of his nose.
"Woman no try me oh" he threatened and Dorathy brought out her phone taking a video of it.
"What business do you have with her?" She asked but she had her guess that it had something to do with Uki appearing on the news the previous night.
"None of your business Madam so I'll advise make you shift, make I do my job"
"And if I don't?" She asked and he raised his shirt to revealing a gun and Emotan's heart leapt in fear but she tried to remain calm so she laughed.
"And you think I'm scared of that?" "Madam shift make I pass"
"Wetin they happen?" One of the women asked, "Them say them want me but I no know wetin I do" Mama Uki.
"You no dey carry her oh" some of the women began to protest and the other tout whispered to Jack, "Make we open fire?"
"No" he answered.
They got into the car then they drove off. Emotan finally lets out a sigh of relief.
"Wetin I con do now? Who i don offend?" Mama Uki asked, "Sure say e get something to do with last night news?" One of the women asked and Mama Uki shrugged.
Could the rumours be true?
"Put a call through to William now!" Emotan ordered and. Dorathy dialed his number then she gave the phone to her.
Emotan walked away from the women, "Good afternoon Ma" Liam greeted the moment he picked up, "There was a confrontation"
"What confrontation?"
"I'll explain to you when I see you; call for a general meeting with the team. I'm not leaving here without police or security escort" she demanded.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

249 53 27
Small town girl named Rose. who lost her mother when she was very young. Rose lives with her father but he is very depressed as his wife is no more w...
257K 28.3K 51
A story of heartbreak, betrayal and bounce backs.
79.8K 5.7K 17
To read the completed book: Go to Okadabooks. https://okadabooks.com/user/FareedaHaruna "There's no point crying over spilled milk" a popular adage w...
Noorul-Ayn By madamsbs

General Fiction

125K 20.2K 54
#20 Spritual (29/12/2020) #2 Fulani (28/12/2020) #1 Hausa (11/12/2021) A girl that haphazardly steps into a mans life and tries to steer him out of h...