Through the Years (Dramione G...

By kim_camaro

Hermes Granger fervently believed that Malfoy's sole purpose in life was to make his life a living hell. Dram... More

preface
the cast
Chapter One: First Year
Chapter Two: Second Year
Chapter Three: Third Year
Chapter Four: Fourth Year
Chapter Five: Fifth Year
Chapter Six: Sixth Year
Chapter Seven: Seventh Year/Horcrux Hunt
Chapter Nine: Eighth Year - Part II
Chapter Ten: Eighth Year - Part III
Chapter Eleven: Eighth Year - Part IV

Chapter Eight: Eighth Year - Part I

880 27 11
By kim_camaro

"So?"

Harry and Ron broke into identical grins. "We got in!" they exclaimed in unison.

Hermes laughed. "I bloody told you so," he shot back, ushering them closer until they slid down on the booth across from him in the Leaky Cauldron. "Especially you, Boy-Who-Lived."

Harry's cheeks turned into pink. "Shut up, Hermes," he said, rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment. "The theoretical part was really hard and if it weren't for your color-coded notes, I might have failed it. I mean, Merlin, that thing practically saved my life."

"And mine," Ron said reverently, grabbing hold of Hermes' hands with sincere earnestness. "Thank you, Hermes Granger."

The curly-haired brunet rolled his eyes and smacked Ron's hand away. "Wankers," he said, prompting them to laugh loudly in return. "If you have that kind of passion back in Hogwarts, you might actually be passing your classes."

Ron groaned. "We haven't seen each other for a week, Hermes! Stop reminding us how really swotty you are, mate, blimey," he whined.

"You know," Harry piped in, "it's not too late to apply for aurorship, Hermes. They've extended the application period. After the bloody war, they've lost a lot of aurors and they're trying to recruit as many graduates as possible."

"We've talked about this," Hermes said with a pointed glance. "I want to return to Hogwarts to finish my degree and get my NEWTs. I'm glad that the ministry waived such degrees in our batch and let you lot apply to your desired ministry positions because they've lost a lot of manpower. Aurorship seems like a nice prospect, too, but I need... I need to do this for myself."

"They have an opening in the Department of Magical Creatures," Ron offered, a hopeful glint in his eyes. "Maybe you can finally pursue that spew of yours – "

"It's S.P.E.W.," Hermes corrected indignantly. The corner of Ron's lips twitched with humor, but hope still gleamed in his blue eyes.

"Come on, Hermes," Ron pleaded. "Think of all the fun we'll have in the ministry. The Golden Trio – saving people, hunting things – it's... it's what we've always done."

Hermes' heart clenched a tiny bit, knowing that he would not be able to see his best friends frequently once the school year started. He was sorely tempted to join them; after all, being with them was one of the things that kept him alive despite the atrocities of war. They had been through a lot, seen a lot, and supported each other until things got back to normal once again. Hogwarts wouldn't be the same without them.

But, he knew he'd like to go back to Hogwarts for his eighth year. The moment Headmistress McGonagall sent them letters as an invitation to finish their studies, Hermes did not hesitate in replying yes. Harry and Ron had persistently tried to change his mind, tempting him with all their auror training and adventures, but... Hermes knew he needed a break from all these shenanigans. The prospect of returning to Hogwarts and continuing his education was very appealing, after all.

Perhaps, this time, he could finally, finally study in peace.

"Once he gets that look, there's no changing his mind, mate," Harry said, clapping Ron on his shoulder. Hermes gave them an apologetic smile. "As long as you write us a letter every single day, then we're all good, wanker."

Hermes snorted. "Merlin, I didn't realize how clingy you've all become," he said, dodging the piece of peanut Harry threw his way. "But yes, of course, I'll owl you as frequently as I can. After all, I have to make sure none of you will do anything stupid and kill yourself in the end."

"Oh, haven't you heard?" Harry asked with widened eyes. "I'm the Boy-Who-Lived, -Twice, mind you. Sooo... I don't really die easily, Hermes."

He laughed and shook his head. Merlin, he was going to miss them so much.

Then, to Ron, he asked, "How's your mother holding up?"

A sad smile appeared on Ron. "Mum's good," he said. "Fussing over George had kept her busy, you know. George hadn't been... after... he hadn't been the same." Ron suddenly looked very tired as he took a long swig from his butterbeer. "And you?" He focused his blue eyes at him. "Your parents?"

Hermes ran a hand through his hair. "I've contacted Healers expert in Memory Charms," he said. "There aren't many of them so the earliest they can look into my parents' case will be after a month. They reckoned the Obliviation Charm I placed of them was bloody powerful so it might... it might take a while."

He swallowed down the panic rising from his stomach, wondering if they would be able to undo his parents' spell. Obliviating them was still the wisest decision, but Hermes hadn't really thought about what would happen after the war had ended. He was highly convinced back then that the situation was dire, and he would not emerge alive in the end.

"You're still welcome to stay over at Grimmauld Place," Harry offered with a kind smile.

"Or the Burrow," Ron said with a solemn nod. "Merlin knows how that place needed more cheering up."

"Thanks for the offer, mates," Hermes said with a sad smile in return. "But, I'd like to organize the house before my parents can come back."

Suddenly, from across from him, Harry ducked his head behind his arms. Hermes looked at him, startled, as Harry slowly lifted his head with a sheepish smile. "Sorry, I think I saw a camera," he said with an embarrassed chuckle, his cheeks turning red. "Instincts, you know."

Hermes looked at Ron questioningly. "The paparazzi's been having a bloody field day now that Harry Potter, Hero of the Wizarding World, is out and about," Ron explained. "Bloody menaces, I tell you. They've been rabid during our first weeks of training and Kingsley had to pass a memorandum barring any journalists from bothering Harry without the proper permission from the minister himself and our beloved hero."

"Well, as expected, I suppose," Hermes said with a casual shrug. "Of course the media would sensationalize this."

"They've been trying to pester me about my future," Harry grumbled, angrily grabbing onto his mug of butterbeer to down it with a large gulp. "I don't bloody know. I've never had the luxury to think about that before when I've been constantly in danger."

Hermes gave him a sympathetic smile. "At least Kings had done something about it," he reassured. "And, well, you can also do some nifty spells here and there."

"They aren't bothering you, though?" Harry asked. "Ron here has some encounters with the paps in the past, too."

Ron's ears turned pink, and Hermes hazarded that he wasn't quite used to being the center of attention. "Well, there were some bothersome individuals but... I've taken care of it," Hermes said with a small smirk on his face, remembering all the wards he placed on his Muggle home and setting up booby traps for uninvited people. He remembered the unfortunate, snooping journalist drenched with bubotuber pus last week.

They've exchanged more anecdotes about their life nowadays, with Harry and Ron usually recounting a particular obstacle during training or their field adventures. Hermes contented himself in listening to them yammer about their day, knowing he wouldn't be able to hear their annoying blabbers once he went back to Hogwarts.

The Golden Trio finally went their separate ways when the Leaky Cauldron was about to close. Harry and Ron promised they would see Hermes off during September 1st, knowing that Hermes would most likely be alone since his obliviated parents were still in Australia.

Hermes came inside his Muggle home with a sad heart. It was filled with memories of his childhood and it gave him an ache knowing that his mother and father weren't there to welcome him back.

Shaking his head, he resolutely promised himself he shouldn't lose hope. If Harry Potter, a bloody teenager, was able to defeat the most powerful dark lord in the Wizarding World, then anything was possible. The Healers were still hopeful they would be able to retrieve his parents' memories, after all. He shouldn't dwell on the worst case scenario.

Hermes was about to go to his room when he saw a letter sitting on the coffee table. He immediately grabbed onto it and recognized McGonagall's handwriting and the Hogwarts seal. The letter was heavier than normal and curious, Hermes broke off the wax and peered inside. There was a letter and a shiny object inside. Eyes widening, he grabbed onto the latter and was surprised to see a shiny maroon badge with a letter 'H'.

He quickly scanned the letter with Headmistress McGonagall appointing him as the Head Boy for this school year. The candidates for Head Boyship from the incoming seventh years all refused this position and thought it would be fitting if Hermes would be the one appointed instead. McGonagall listed down all his qualifications, insisting that he was perfect for the position, and by the time he finished the letter, he was flattered.

Hermes hastily went upstairs to pen a reply, saying that he was honored to be made Head Boy.

As he tied the letter to his owl, Hermes wondered who the Head Girl might be.

__________

"Eat your meals on time, Hermes."

"And please, for the love of all good and holy things, just stop spending so much time in the library!"

"Maybe get yourself a girlfriend, I mean, blimey."

"Don't raise your hand in the air too eagerly. You have to give chance to others."

"Or, maybe you can pull out that stick out of your arse to – OW, HERMES!"

The curly-haired Gryffindor threw an exasperated glare at his best mates. "Why are you being like this today?" he whined as he pushed his trunk past platform 9 ¾, Harry and Ron not too far behind.

"Without us, you'd spiral out of control," Harry said with a grim frown on his face. "You'll forget to eat and maybe start camping out in the library if McGonagall finally gave you the permission to do so. Admit it, Hermes. That isn't too farfetched."

Ron, whose neck was still smarting from Hermes' earlier slap, concurred with a solemn nod. "I'm sure you're going back to being boring and swotty and... and..." A soft groan escaped from his lips as he melodramatically covered his face with both of his hands. "I can already imagine you growing a thick, long beard after finishing all the books in the library just so you can get all 'O's in your NEWTS!"

Harry waved his wand, prompting Hermes' trunk to become wide open. "Hey!" Hermes cried, but Harry was already dumping a lot of toffees inside. "This will keep you well-nourished during times when you skip your meals," Harry said with a stern look in his eyes. "Then, don't forget to brush your teeth afterwards."

"You're both acting insufferable, bloody hell!" Hermes exclaimed with a loud laugh, swinging both of his arms over their shoulders. "Even my parents weren't this... this smothering every time I go back to Hogwarts. I'm going to be fine. I'm already a grown adult. I can take care of myself. You don't have to worry too much about me and just focus on being brilliant aurors."

Ron sighed. "We're going to miss you, Hermes," he said with a sad frown. "It won't be the same without you."

Hermes snorted. "Funny, I think I overheard you tell Harry yesterday you can't wait to get rid of my nagging voice," he pointed out.

"You heard that?" the redhead asked with a sheepish smile. When Hermes rolled his eyes, he added, "Well, you do nag a lot, you annoying git."

"If anyone has to worry in this group, it should be me," Hermes said with a snort. "If it weren't for me, you both would have been dead by now."

"That's true," said Harry while at the same time Ron uttered "You got that right, mate."

"So don't go chasing after bad guys and being a bloody hero about it," Hermes said with a stern glare.

"In case you've forgotten, we're aurors," Harry said with a wide grin. "That's basically our job description. The difference now is that we're actually getting paid for it."

Ron laughed while Hermes shook his head. "I'm sure you'd have fun with the mountain of paperworks and reports too," the brunet remarked with a smirk, watching as identical horrified looks flitted on their faces.

"Are you really, really sure you don't want to join us to the ministry, Hermes?" Ron quickly pleaded, a desperate glint in his eyes. "We'll have loads of fun and get paid a handsome amount. And..."

His words died down as a whistle blew from the Hogwarts Express, signaling its impending departure. "Too late now, Ronald," Hermes said with a grin.

Harry sighed. "So, it's really a good bye now," he said, suddenly looking uncomfortable and sad. "I mean... it's so weird, knowing we won't be together for the following weeks." He glanced at Hermes once more and frowned. "But if this is really what you want, well we can't do anything about it anymore."

"Stubborn Hermes Granger," Ron said with a forlorn nod. "Brightest wizard of his age."

His eyes may have misted slightly because he would honestly, truly miss these stupid blokes. "We're brothers through and through," Hermes assured. "I don't think some distance will ruin the friendship we've forged for these past few years."

Harry grinned boyishly. "Brothers through and through," he said while spreading his arms. "Now bring it in, Granger."

Hermes snorted but tightly wrapped his arms around him nonetheless. "Don't do anything stupid, Potter," he gravely said.

Ron tightly wrapped his hands around his friends too. "Granger's Hug of Warmth will surely be missed," the redhead said with a sigh.

"Don't do anything stupid either, Ronald," Hermes said with a laugh, gently pulling his arms away to look at his best friends for the last time.

"Goodbye, wankers," he said with a warm smile. "Remember, before doing anything, ask yourself 'What would Hermes do?"

"Bloody Merlin," Ron groaned as Harry boisterously laughed.

They watched as Hermes got onto the train and waved until their arms hurt and they couldn't see him anymore.

Hermes forlornly looked outside the window as the scenery slowly changed into greenery. Hogwarts wouldn't be the same without Harry and Ron; he would terribly, terribly miss them. But, this was a refreshing change. Hermes vowed to make the most out of his last year in Hogwarts.

He then proceeded to pull his trunk until he reached the Heads' compartment. When he opened the door, he was surprised to see that it wasn't unoccupied anymore. Prefects from fifth year and above from different Houses were already crammed inside, waiting for the arrival of their Heads.

Hermes surveyed the crowd, noting some familiar faces. Ginny waved her hand in greeting, newly appointed as the seventh year Gryffindor Prefect partnered with Johnny Hopkins.

"I knew McGonagall would make you Head Boy," the youngest Weasley said as Hermes slid inside the compartment and sat beside her. "But, I'm surprised you didn't skip eighth year like Harry and Ron did."

He looked at the crowd once more and frowned. "The Head Girl isn't here yet," he pointed out. "Do you know who it is?"

Ginny shook her head. "I have no idea," she said with knitted eyebrows. "I think Luna was offered Head Girlship by McGonagall but she turned it down."

"Really?" he asked in surprise. "Luna?"

She smiled. "She's very eccentric but hey she's a Ravenclaw," she offered. "But like I said, she turned it down."

"Why aren't you Head Girl?" Hermes asked. "You have decent grades unlike your stupid brother."

"Well, McGonagall did offer the position to me too," she revealed. "But, I had to choose between being Head Girl or Gryffindor Quidditch Captain. Obviously, I chose the latter."

He quirked a small smile. "Obviously," he echoed, knowing how the fiery redhead always claimed she'd be a member of the Holyhead Harpies after graduating.

"So, anyway, I haven't heard anyone being offered the position," she pointed. "So, maybe she'd be an eighth year like you, too."

The compartment door opened once more and all amicable conversation ended, shocked to see the new person to join their small group.

Iris Malfoy, still looking like the proper Pureblood princess she was, stood outside the compartment, a shiny, green 'H' pinned on her robes.

Hermes' eyes had grown wide upon seeing her, surprised that she was actually here.

She seemed to have ignored the other people, too, her eyes solely staring at him.

The Slytherin considerably paled and uttered a soft "Fuck" under her breath.

Well, fuck, indeed.

__________

"Are you sure McGonagall's not playing tricks on you, princess?" Theo asked, prodding the Head Girl badge pinned on her robe with the tip of his wand.

"Quit it, Theo," Iris said with a frown, batting his hand away. "And she isn't. I sent her an Owl immediately when she gave me this badge, clarifying her decision to make me the Head Girl."

Blaise snorted. "Well, you have one of the highest marks in our year," he offered. "It isn't that surprising, Iris, really."

"Yes, okay, but are we all forgetting that I'm a bloody Death Eater?" she thundered, yanking her left sleeve up to show the faded mark on her forearm. She swallowed down her ire when Blaise looked away in discomfort and Theo turned pale.

Iris immediately covered her left arm, still refusing to look at the mark of evil on her forearm, and sighed. "She did tell me I wasn't first choice, so there's that," she grumbled, slightly slumping back down on the compartment bench beside Theo. Iris closed her eyes and leant her head against the headboard. "I don't even know why I have to go back."

With Lucius convicted with lifetime imprisonment as a Death Eater and Narcissa in house-arrest indefinitely for conspiring with the Dark Side, Iris didn't understand why her mother insisted that she go back to Hogwarts when the news that McGonagall was willing to receive students from their year arose. Iris honestly thought she'd be like her father, thrown to Azkaban and left to rot for all the things she had done, but surprisingly, the Wizengamot had decided that she was innocent from all grave charges. It was found out that her Dark Mark was given to her by force and that she was, in the end, just a child and a victim of circumstances. It was just unfortunate she was on the losing side of the war.

The Wizengamot still had convicted her with some minor offenses, but they were easily paid off by the Malfoy riches. They also had a condition that she would be placed in house arrest for a year unless she was to attend to Hogwarts to finish her studies.

Iris immediately chose the former because she knew the idea of attending Hogwarts once more after everything she did was preposterous. But Narcissa protested, told her it wasn't too late for her yet whatever that meant. "You still have to prove to everybody that you are the best among all of us," her mother gently told her after she protested magnificently.

"I don't have anything to prove, Mother," Iris had replied, exhausted after everything that had happened. It was the first time she actually felt free, from her father's expectations, from Voldemort's clutches and at least, for once in her life, she wanted to do something that she wanted.

"You will not be happy here, my love," Narcissa soothed, brushing the frustrated tears that rolled down Iris' eyes.

Hence, she reluctantly penned a letter to McGonagall that she wanted to return to Hogwarts for her eighth year. A part of her wouldn't be shocked if she was denied entrance, but the Headmistress surprised her with a letter that welcomed her back. A week after, McGonagall sent her another letter appointing her as Head Girl and her badge.

"Cheer up, princess," Theo teased. "At least we're going back with you."

Iris cracked her eyes open and frowned. "I sure as hell know you both didn't have to come back to Hogwarts," she said matter-of-factly. They were heirs to a great family and they could spend the rest of their lives hiding in their manors and spending every galleons in their vaults. They weren't Death Eaters like her, after all. They had nothing to prove in this new bloody world.

"Hmm, what? I wanted to take my NEWTS," Theo innocently said with a smile on his face. Then, jutting his thumb towards Blaise, he said, "I don't know about that bastard, though..."

"I miss the Hogwarts library," Blaise drawled with a bored expression on his face. It didn't go unnoticed how his cheeks reddened with his lame excuse.

Iris rolled her eyes. "Right," she said. Deep inside, a part of her was grateful she wouldn't be alone this year. She had this inkling they came back because of her, but Iris didn't want to get too ahead of herself.

"Shouldn't you be meeting with your Prefects now?" Blaise asked after composing himself.

A look of horror befell on Iris' face. "Damn it, you're right," she said. She groaned and hid her face behind her hands. She wasn't ready to face other people yet.

"Who do you reckon the Head Boy will be?" Theo asked aloud.

"Granger?" Blaise offered.

Her heart skipped a beat at the mention of his name.

"Nah," Theo said with a shake of his head, oblivious to Iris' sudden stillness. "I heard the Golden Trio got recruited by the auror department immediately. Those three blokes are practically joined to the hip! I doubt Potter and Weasley wanted to come back so I'm sure Granger followed them to the ministry."

It would be bloody disastrous if Granger was made Head Boy. How could she face him after everything she had done in the past year? How could she face him when they had been in different sides during the War? How could she face him when she had finally gotten the karma she deserved and he was a celebrated hero of this world?

But Iris immediately shook that thought away, knowing that Theo had a point.

"I got to go for the meeting," she said as she stood up from her seat. Instantly, both Blaise and Theo were also on their feet. She looked over them in bemusement. "I don't need bloody escorts, you gits. Just stay here."

Blaise made a move to protest but she immediately walked out of their compartment. Thankfully, none of them followed her out.

Iris kept her head bowed as she meandered through the corridor. She might have heard some gasps and hisses sent her way, but she kept on walking and walking, until she finally reached the Heads' compartment.

'Please don't make it Granger,' she begged. 'Please don't make it Granger.'

She took a deep breath and opened the compartment door. Instantly, all conversations inside ceased, their eyes firmly glued on her. But then, the moment her eyes landed on Hermes Fucking Granger, she instantly knew he was Head Boy to her Head Girl.

"Fuck," was all she could say.

__________

Headmistress McGonagall personally accompanied them to their new dormitory.

Hermes quickly followed behind the quiet professor, aware that Malfoy was just a few steps behind him. She hadn't said a word, even during their train ride, and Hermes had no idea how to approach her or at least talk to her.

He had been very distracted during the meeting with the new Prefects back at Hogwarts Express. Iris had been tensed all throughout the ride and tried to be as inconspicuous as possible. Some of the Prefects even snidely commented why she was there, why she even had the audacity to show herself back at Hogwarts, but one scathing glare from Hermes silenced any protests. Instead, he focused their conversation more with their tasks this school-year and his desire for them to all work together to let this year run smoothly, especially after the events that had happened last school-year.

When the meeting had finished and the prefects left, Malfoy immediately scrambled out, leaving Hermes alone in the Heads' compartment.

Ever since the War had ended, he still hadn't found the time to actually talk to Malfoy. The last time he saw her was during her Wizengamot trial to support Harry's testimonial. He was meaning to speak with her after her acquittal, but the media immediately took that opportunity to bombard The-Boy-Who-Lived with questions. Hermes missed his chance by then. Up until now, with her just a few paces away from him, Hermes was still at a loss what he would say to her. 'I'm glad you are alive?' or 'How are you coping?' seemed too sensitive, too eager... too personal.

Malfoy hadn't been the same since the War, which he didn't find surprising after all. After everything she had gone through, only someone inhuman wouldn't be affected by all the atrocities she had undergone.

If there was someone as famous as the Golden Trio right now, it would be Malfoy. She had been the subject of numerous newspaper articles, of speculations about her true loyalty and sins at the height of the war. Many still loudly protested when she was acquitted, too aggrieved by the deaths that had befallen in their family.

But... but she was just a victim, too. Hermes couldn't understand how they could fault a bloody child for all the things she had done all in the name of survival. War brought out the worst in everybody, especially those who did not have the continuous love and support from people that mattered that most. They could not fault her that she grew up in an environment that had made her as such. True, she had done unforgivable things that he knew couldn't be justified with simple words but one thing Hermes understood ever since he became best friends with Harry Potter was that not everything was black and white. Not everything was either good or bad. There were good intentions reached through evil means; bad, hurtful outcomes which inevitably occurred despite all the morally just means along the way. No, one thing Hermes Granger understood was that there were various shades of grey during the bloody war, morals ambiguous and lines blurred, because at the end of the day, survival was at the forefront of their minds. It just so happened that Hermes would do everything for his friends, his cause, because that was just how he was - how he was brought up and nurtured by those around him. Iris Malfoy, on the other hand...

She was capable of change, though. He had seen it – during second year, when she helped them with the basilisk; during fifth year, when she hid the fact that Hermes' had blatantly lied to Umbridge; during sixth year, when she had constantly broken down due to a responsibility he now understood the gravity; during their horcrux hunt, when she fervently denied their identity from Bellatrix. The list was endless, and he heard this surprising detail from Ginny that Malfoy, Zabini, and Nott constantly tried to lessen the effects of Cruciatus by secretly stunning and numbing the victims at the same time.

Maybe, she had realized her mistakes later during the war, but she still did, and they could not condemn her forever for making disastrous mistakes as a bloody child.

"Mr. Granger?"

Hermes blinked and realized that Headmistress McGonagall wasn't in front of him anymore. He turned around, eyes widening when he saw that the headmistress was already a few feet away from him. Malfoy was beside her and looked at him with a mixture of amusement and curiosity in her grey eyes.

"Err... sorry, professor. I just had a lot of things in my mind," he excused, furiously blushing as he quickly walked towards them.

They were now standing in front of a beautiful portrait of a unicorn. Her beady eyes curiously gazed at the trio, before quickly shifting towards Malfoy. The Slytherin's hand was placed against the painting, a small smile on her face when the painted unicorn tried to nuzzle her pale hand.

Hermes looked away, quite sure the blush on his face wasn't because of embarrassment anymore.

"The password to your common room is 'Purity'," the older witch said.

Malfoy stilled and threw a glare towards her direction. The headmistress did not seem to notice and strode inside when the unicorn had let them in.

Professor McGonagall explained the basic rules and etiquettes, reminded them of their responsibilities, and wished them good luck for this school-year.

"Mr. Granger, may I have a word?" she asked once her reminders had finally ended.

Hermes briefly shot a look at Malfoy, who was now idly looking around their common room.

"Of course, Headmistress," he said.

McGonagall strode out of the common room, Hermes closely following behind. Once the portrait closed behind them with a click, she turned to him, seriousness in her eyes.

"I know why you paired us, Headmistress," Hermes said before he could stop himself. When McGonagall quirked an eyebrow, he felt his cheeks warming. "Forgive me, but I don't think making her Head Girl to my Head Boy isn't purely because of her academic achievements."

Her eyes softened. "I apologize for this, Mr. Granger," she explained with a sigh. "But with the conclusion of a very tiring war, Hogwarts is in ruins. I would like all of my students to feel safe within its walls. Miss Malfoy..." She paused, suddenly looking very tired and weary. "Things had been difficult enough for her. She might have done unforgivable things in the past, but it isn't too late for her yet. I hope you understand what I am trying to say, Mr. Granger."

"Of course, Headmistress," he said without skipping a beat.

"I am asking for your help, Mr. Granger, to look after her," she said with a stern glance. "She grew up in a very difficult household and realizing that her beliefs had been wrong... perhaps, what Miss Malfoy needed the most right now is a friend."

A wry smile appeared on Hermes' face. He wasn't entirely sure if he was the right person for that.

Headmistress McGonagall bid him good bye and good luck and left. Hermes stumbled back into his new Common Room and was surprised to see that Malfoy still hadn't gone to her bedroom.

She stood awkwardly at the very middle of the room and once again, Hermes had no idea how to approach her. Their relationship had been complicated to begin with, especially at the start of their sixth year. He wasn't sure how Iris regarded him right now.

"I didn't know you'll be coming back to Hogwarts," Hermes blurted out.

Malfoy coolly met his eyes, an indecipherable look in her grey orbs. "I didn't know you'll be coming back, either," she replied in return.

Silence followed and Hermes struggled to think of saying something again. Hermes never ran out of words but Malfoy... Malfoy always made things difficult for him.

Her eyes slowly landed on his left sleeve, the one covering his pale 'Mudblood' scar. For a moment, something vulnerable peeked from her eyes... vulnerability he had seen countless of times during sixth year. His heart lurched at the sight, but Malfoy immediately looked away and marched towards her bedroom.

Once she was gone, Hermes wearily plopped down down on one of the overstuffed couches in their Common Room.

He chuckled humorlessly, thinking that he wouldn't be able to study well during his eighth year after all.

__________

It was glaringly obvious that almost half of the student body didn't return for this school-year. Parents didn't want for their children to return that year, which was completely understandable. After all, the brunt of the Second Wizarding War happened in Hogwarts. The formidable and safe castle had fallen once, endangering numerous lives. They couldn't let their children return to Hogwarts when things hadn't stabilized in the Wizarding World yet.

Hermes felt a little uneasy as his eyes roamed all throughout the Great Hall. Only eleven students returned for eighth year: Neville Longbottom, Seamus Finnegan, the Patil twins, Hannah Abbott, Ernie McMillan, Terry Boot, Iris Malfoy, Theodore Nott, and Blaise Zabini. Hermes was still trying to adjust with the fact that Harry and Ron weren't there to accompany him anywhere he went.

With regards to population, the Slytherin House had the least number of students. More than half of the student body hadn't returned. Most of their families dabbled in the Dark Arts and were in cahoots with the Dark Lord; it wasn't a surprise if students didn't want to return to Hogwarts when the Dark Side had lost.

Which was why, seeing Iris Malfoy in the Great Hall was the single, most surprising thing in this whole school-year. She was sitting at the very end of the Slytherin long table near the doors, as if she was ready to bound away in case something arose. A wide berth was between her and the other students, with only Zabini and Nott reverently staying by her side.

It bothered him how the once proud and feisty blonde Slytherin was gone, replaced by a woman whose head was bowed down, keeping eye contact at a minimum. The two blokes beside her were comically engaged in an uproarious conversation, but Iris kept her replies clipped and short, seemingly distant.

A week had already gone by ever since the start of the school year but Hermes still hadn't properly interacted with Iris. He felt like she was actually avoiding him, which he couldn't understand at all! Somehow, he missed the Malfoy before who went out of her way just to torment him.

Nott was now loudly recounting an anecdote with wild gesticulations, before draping his arm around Iris' shoulders. The blonde rolled her eyes at his ridiculous antics, but there was a small, amused smile on her face.

Before Hermes could realize what he was doing, he was already on his feet and hastily walking towards the Slytherin table. Irrational anger surged from his heart and he couldn't make sense of it even until he was behind Iris.

"Malfoy," he stiffly called.

She stiffened, before slowly looking behind her. Nott shot him a suspicious glance, and the arm around her tightened protectively.

Hermes scowled.

"What do you want, Granger?" Zabini asked with a frown on his face. His wand was instantly on his hand, ready to cast a spell if the need arose.

"There's no need for that," Hermes said with a frown, jutting his chin at Zabini's wand. Then, to Malfoy, he continued, "We have patrol tonight."

She knitted her eyebrows in confusion. "I thought Heads do not go on patrols," she quipped.

"They don't," he replied. "But, seeing that we still haven't made a decent patrol schedule for our Prefects..." He gave her a meaningful glance, hinting that she had been dodging him every time he tried to approach her to discuss Head matters.

Pink rose on her fair cheeks and she shifted her gaze away. "Right," she said with a small frown.

"We can discuss the schedule after the patrol," he added. "If you like."

Malfoy expelled a deep sigh then looked back at him. "Seems like I don't have a choice," she drawled, an annoyed look appearing on her face.

"You're right," he concurred. "You don't."

"Fine," she replied, turning around so that her back now faced him again.

Hermes scowled once more at her haste dismissal.

"Do you still need anything?" Nott asked with a quirked eyebrow.

"Just don't be late, Malfoy," he murmured, finally turning around and walking out of the Great Hall.

__________

"You're late."

"For five minutes, Granger, blimey," Iris said as she finally strolled inside their Common Room.

Granger sat on one of the gaudy, oversized couches, his arms crossed against his chest in disapproval. There was a frown on his face, but he finally sighed in resignation and stood up from the couch. He tucked a book under his armpit and passed her without another word.

She looked at his back in curiosity, wondering what had gotten him in such a bad mood. Iris quickly followed him out of their Common Room, careful to keep a safe distance between them.

A week had already passed and she was thankful they hadn't interacted. Until now, that is. Iris knew that Granger was trying his best to reach out to her, to at least talk to her about their duties as Heads, but being the coward that she was, she always found an excuse to get away before he could even utter a single word.

It was rude and cowardly, but Iris knew it was for the best. Granger was hailed a hero in the Wizarding World; it wouldn't help his wonderful reputation if people saw he was interacting with a pariah. She didn't care how people treated her because she bloody well deserved them anyway, but she'd be damned if they started speculating and creating ridiculous rumors about Granger all because of her. She had caused enough turmoil to people that was close to her in the past and she vowed never to let people in, no matter how she missed their warm hugs or their warm eyes.

Iris released a soft sigh and tucked a strand behind her ear. She wished she could just ditch him and crawl into her bed, lie awake at night to keep the demons away, and wait until sunlight streamed into her window.

Activities had been mechanical for Iris ever since she came back for her eighth year. Wake up, shower, dress up, eat, go to classes, eat, do homework, lie on bed, repeat. She tried to minimize interaction except with Blaise and Theo, which was an easy feat seeing that nobody wanted to associate with an ex-Death Eater. She tried to be as inconspicuous as possible, hoping that the days would fly by until she could take her NEWTs and leave Hogwarts.

Her mind came back into the present when she almost bumped against Hermes' back. The Gryffindor skidded into a halt and Iris tried to see what had stopped him in his tracks, but Granger was already releasing a deep sigh and turning around.

"This is getting ridiculous, Malfoy," he murmured, an annoyed frown on his face. She looked at him questioningly and waited for him to elaborate. "We should... we should be working together. I mean, we weren't exactly friends before and you don't really like me at all, but if we need this... this partnership to work, we must start talking to each other."

Iris' eyes widened, realizing that Granger thought the reason why she had been avoiding him because she didn't like him. Unwittingly, her eyes glanced at his covered forearm once again, remembering Bellatrix' torture quite vividly, and suddenly grew sick in the stomach.

This was the reason why she could not properly talk to him. Every time she saw him, she remembered that day, and guilt would swallow her whole. He had been hurt in her home and she didn't do anything to save him. Thank Merlin her mother had destroyed that room, scrubbed Malfoy Manor clean until remnants of dark magic disappeared. The only reason why Iris tolerated living in that manor because it looked livable again, all thanks to Narcissa.

She blinked at his hand, now outstretched in front of her.

"If we want this year to go on smoothly, maybe a cease fire would be for the best," he awkwardly offered.

Iris' eyes shifted back into his honey-colored eyes, bright with hope and something more. A foreign feeling in her heart sparked, but Iris desperately trampled on it before it grew.

"Come on, Malfoy, I'm starting to get a little embarrassed here," he joked, shaking his hand slightly.

Her heart hammered inside her chest and it took a lot of effort to restrain herself from throwing her arms around him instead. Finally, she lifted her own hand and grasped his own. He grinned brightly and shook her hand with enthusiasm, and Iris couldn't stop the small smile from appearing on her face.

__________

Dear Hermes,

Why the bloody hell did we just find out that Iris Malfoy is sharing a Common Room with you? This is Ron by the way. Harry's insisting that we write on one parchment an –

This is Harry now. Why the BLOODY HELL did we just find out that Iris Malfoy is Head Girl after TWO WEEKS YOU BLOODY WANKER! Yes, I'm putting three exclamation points because you've been a right arse for hiding this vital information from us. I can't believe we found this out from Ginny instead! If we weren't swamped with –

Ron again. Harry's been trying to wrestle the quill from me but he already had the chance to write more lines, bloody wanker. So yeah. Iris Malfoy. Head Girl. WHY HERMES?! You should ask McGonagall to choose another Head Girl or, if it can't be helped, ask her to at least transfer you to another dormitory instead of sharing a room with MALFOY. I'm telling you, she's going to Avada you while you're asleep.

Harry – Tell McGonagall that you don't want to share a dormitory with Malfoy. She's always been fond of you as a kindred swot. I'm sure she'll understand.

This is Ron. Now tell McGonagall or do we have to tell her ourselves? Anyway, we have to end this letter now. We're in the middle of a field assignment but we have to send this letter first because WHY HERMES?! Oh, and by the way, Harry and Ginny are dating again. Ridiculous. You should see the amount of letters Harry's been receiving from my sister. Merlin, my eyes are still –

Harry. Ron didn't need to tell that, that wanker. Just don't study too much and eat on time. We've sent a bagful of toffees because knowing you, you'd have finished your supply now.

Love,
Harry and Ron

-0-0-0-

Harry and Ron,

I'm bloody fine. I can take care of myself. McGonagall has understandable reasons why she made Malfoy Head Girl, and I'm not going to plead for her to change her mind. Malfoy hasn't Avada'd me yet, contrary to popular belief. Besides, I know enough spells that could even make Voldemort quack in his tomb.

Don't do anything stupid.

Love,
Hermes

-0-0-0-

Wanker,

Too early for that stupid joke, Hermes. Harry refuses to reply to that stupid letter of yours. This is just Ron. He insisted that I address this letter to you as a 'wanker', because that's how you've behaved for the past few weeks.

If anyone can survive living with Malfoy for a year, we bloody well knew it would be you.

We haven't done anything stupid, by the way.

Love,
Ron and not Harry

-0-0-0-

Harry and Ron,

Terribly sorry for that joke. Tell Harry that I bloody miss his chicken scratches.

I'm glad you're both still alive. Hogwarts hasn't been the same without you blokes.

Love,
Hermes

-0-0-0-

Hermes,

Merlin Almighty, please don't try to inhale all the books in the Hogwarts library.

We miss you.

Love,
Harry and Ron

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

717K 15.5K 59
"I know you want me Laurier" he whispered, I lifted my head up and glare at him. With every anger I seethed through gritted teeth, "Fuck you Malfoy"...
1.7M 36.7K 53
His hands gripped her waist, and his head fit perfectly in the crook of her neck. She leaned back into his chest, a small smile spreading across her...
8.4K 195 34
Draco Malfoy and Emma Dawlish attend Hogwarts: School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Emma is almost always a straight A student and she is forced to wo...
11.9K 480 29
Y/N is a muggle born. All her life she had been taught normal things. But when her Hogwarts letter arrives, she can't help but be giddy with exciteme...