Where Do We Go from Here?

Autorstwa josefaelsa

Naomi Tan, a perfectly average girl, is as stupidly excited as any fresh-out-of-high school kid to enter the... Więcej

Where 'Here' Begins
ii.
iii.
iv
v.
vi.
vii.
viii.
ix.
x.
xi.
xii.
xiii.
xiv.
xv.
xvi.
xvii.
xviii.
xix.
xx.
xxi.
xxii.
xxiii.

i.

575 76 545
Autorstwa josefaelsa

1 YEAR AFTER

      My test results are crumpled somewhere inside my backpack beside me, but I can still see the red mark showing a 3 point deficient score before considered as passed. Our professor is up front, blabbering something about not giving up and honestly, I couldn't care less.

     I still hate results day, but not as much as I hated it when I first got my failed mark. At this point, it's just the norm, the default for me and most of the class. You fail one test, and you try your hardest to do great on the next so you can be safe. It is a constant battle of 'not giving up', and the thing is, when you're in that head space of trying not to give up, it doesn't really help when someone shoves it further down your throat, that's for me, at least. 

     "Party at Jean's later?" my seatmate whispers. His test result sits on his desk, facing down. He got the highest score. Again. With his chiseled jawline, almond brown eyes, glistening tan skin and velvet wavy hair, you ought to think he's an empty can. But he isn't.

     This is when I know God has his favorites. One of them is Jacob 'Cobi' Villa, my closest Uni friend. 

     "Must you ask? Of course, we'll go," I grin and I see his excited smirk after. I catch some women swoon over that one second glory. I have my fair share of women giving me glares because of Cobi, some of them have the nerve to even confront me about it. Although, I don't get affected, I find it funny rather, that they actually think Cobi will give me a chance. 

     That sounded pitiful. Let me rephrase that in my favor, Cobi and I are just friends and nothing more. 

     Jean Mendez is a batch mate of ours who throws parties after the results are out and somehow it became a campus tradition. He is from a different college but since our college has a fair market share of failures, Accountancy students tend to be at the scene most of the time. The party welcomes everyone, but I mean, who really needs all the booze to forget? Us, the failures and disappointments. 

     "Now, to wrap up this class, I wish you all a happy weekend," Ms. Judith announces. 

     Not a minute after, I already have my backpack on me and I am ready to get out.

     "Where do you want to pass time? Mine or yours?" Cobi asks, tidying up his bag.

     "Do you want my brother to knock your front door off?" I answer, "And boy, do you really have to start doing this now? When Ms. Judith's blabber portion was the perfect time to do it? We could have bounced by now."

       "He can't knock it off, it's mahogany," he begins, "And it's disrespectful to tidy up when someone's still talking," he ends sarcastically.

     "And this is why we cannot be more than friends," I complain, "you are annoying my soul and I."

     "You sure it's not because I cockblocked you?" he retorts and I smack his head. He got me. But that's for another time to tell. 

     We finally arrive in the room's doorway after slithering our way out of there and we see a giant boy towering at 6'5 passing through the hallway, literally inviting everyone he comes across to. A few moments after, we lock eyes and he comes where we are at.

     "Hey Cobi Wan Kenobi! Yo, Naomi!" Jean does a handshake-chest pump greeting with Cobi and and he messes my hair up after. "Ooh, that rhymed. Just checking, you going?"

     "Of course, man. Wouldn't want to miss it," Cobi answers. "Heard you have new recruits in your basketball team? Maybe we can play sometime soon?"

     "Very nice. Oh yeah, actually we have this engineering transfer who tried out last week. He is damn good, 6'2, smart as well. He got straight As," he shares. Jean has this voice and mannerisms that just make him look dumb. He uses his hands while talking all the time, but it is always so sloppy and off-beat. It's funny.

     "So he's like Cobi, only 2 inches taller?" I raise my brow.

     "Bet you, that's the only inch he's more than me," Cobi boasts while nudging Jean and both of them laugh way too much for the credit that joke deserves. Boys.

     "Come to think of it, he is coming for your crown, Mr. Popular," Jean teases, "but anyway, I have to go, will def set a game night with you so we can test out the recruits," he says, walking away. 

     "You mean, Mr. Kind of Popular," I mumble under my breath.

     Cobi, as I have heard through the grapevine a.k.a Jean, was a great basketball player during his junior and senior year in high school. But for some reason, he doesn't want to play for a team anymore when he entered the Uni. Although, the basketball team likes including him in their practice games. And I have seen a few, and he is great at it.

     "Why don't you just play for the Uni Cobi? Seems like you still enjoy it," I ask as we buckle up in his car.

     "Some things are enough for enjoying Nam, you don't always have to ask for applause for the things you enjoy." 

     "Damn sir, you didn't have to go so deep," I reply and we both let out a good laugh. 

---------

     "Yo Cobi, Naomi!" Jean shouts through the crowd, waving his hand. He doesn't have to though, we can see his head pop out the sea of heads in the party. This is probably the biggest crowd I have ever seen.

     Jean's parents are businessmen based overseas and so he has this big house all to himself. Even with the generous space, the crowd makes it look small tonight.

     Jean raises his hand and I let my hand meet his mid-air,  "What a huge crowd you have tonight, Jean."

     "Didn't you hear? The passing rate was low this period," he shouts just so I can hear him over the loud music. He escorts us into "The Lobby", a huge exclusive room for Jean's circle. Jean tries to keep the space free from strangers as it is his game room/hang out place on normal days. He says it's supposed to remain 'sacred', whatever that means.

     As he closes the door behind us, the lights become more stable and the music's volume is now less provoking, my senses can finally function properly. "The Lobby" has different arcade games, an exclusive bar and a few leather tufted couches. People here are more low key than the ones outside, not because they are, but because Jean wants it that way.  Although, you will catch a few people making out once in a while. There are about twenty people inside the room, some have familiar faces, others, I don't care about. 

     "Cobi, this is Rocky, the new recruit I was talking to you about," I hear Jean say. I am overwhelmed with my now functioning senses, for a moment I forgot about Cobi and Jean. 

      I turn to face them and I see this tall guy with a lean muscular build, his hair is curly and the blackest I have seen. His nose is perfect, there's no other word to describe it. His lips are red and plump, and his jawline is sharp but not as sharp as Cobi's. He is sitting casually on the arm of one of the leather couches. 

     I see Austin Kaling sitting behind the new guy and Brooke something, I forgot his last name but I swear he has one, standing on the new guy's left side. They are both basketball players.

     "Hey man, Jean has talked about you. Can't wait to play a game with you," the new guy greets. His voice is lower than most men but it is soothing.

     Looking at both Cobi and him, they look insanely beautiful. And with the both of them against Jean, they look ethereal.

     "Oh yeah, this here is Naomi, Naomi Tan," Cobi announces.

     At this point my mind is faced with a dilemma again. In these moments, do you go for a handshake? A fist bump? A nod?

     With my mind panicking, I find my hand mid air but moments later nobody takes it.

     "A nod would've cut it, Nam," the new guy teases and I withdraw my hand. I feel my face get hotter by the second. "Kidding, my name's Rocky San Jose. Engineering."

     I see the boys holding in their laughter. 

    "A handshake, really Naomi?" Jean whispers. 

     "Shut it," I mutter under my breath.

     "It's Naomi for you," I complain, "And I'm from Accountancy," It was not nice meeting you. "So when are you playing?" I face Jean, "So I can see him get played?" Then I turn to Rocky and his annoying face.

     Their friends start "wooing" but he has this annoying smile on his face while looking at me. 

     "Ever been played, Nam? How does it look like, cause I've never been," he answers. 

     I let out a laugh. 

     I see Cobi's lips turn up by its corners while gazing between Rocky and I, alternately.

     "Okay, okay kids. How 'bout this, we'd make a bet. If my team wins, Rocky should take Naomi out on a date," Cobi proposes. 

     "Ooh and- and if Rocky's team wins, you could ask Naomi for a dare," Jean adds.  "Dare. Dare. Dare." 

     "What the hell is wrong with you guys?" I nudge them both "And why does taking me out on a date, their punishment, asshole?" I fume at Cobi.

     Ever since the semester started, Cobi has been setting me up with boys because he felt like "it is time". I never had a relationship again after my junior year of high school. That was the first and last. 

     Okay, maybe it is about time. But maybe, I would like to do it on my own terms. If I'm going to get it, maybe I would like it to not be a form of punishment for the other side.

     "Damn, that's a pretty scary bet," Rocky teases, "But, the dare sounds tempting..."

     "Boy, after that date, you'd be begging for a handshake," I glare at him. 

     "So you want a date then?" Jean mumbles and I shoot him a side eye as a response.

     "What's in it for me, everything's just not in my favor," I cross my arms,  "I won't do it. It's dumb."

     "Okay, you could pick a date then, anywhere, go somewhere expensive, it's Jean's treat," Cobi offers and Jean looked fine the first few seconds but moments later, he realizes what's going on.

     Anywhere? 

     "I mean, yeah, sure," Jean says, "And, and Cobi will do 3 school works for you!" he adds.

     Cobi gives Jean a scowl and Jean's lips suddenly forms a smirk. Karma is indeed a bitch.

     Okay, maybe the booze is kicking in, but I am actually, like an idiot, thinking about it. 

     "You're talking like I'm gonna lose," Rocky intercepts. 

     "Won't you, kid?" Cobi exclaims. 

     "I won't, I already have a dare in mind. It's a call, then," Rocky smirks. 

    Everyone's waiting for my answer. And just like that, I imagine all the things I can do with Jean's credit card and Cobi's brain.

     "I want your credit card, no cap," I declare, "And I want A's, nothing less," I face Cobi.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note

Hello,

After a lengthy hiatus on Wattpad and on reading and writing in general. Here I am starting anew, starting something I will finally finish.

Constructive criticisms are welcome.

If you like this chapter, please do comment and vote.

Thank you.

Regards,

Josefa Elsa

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

105K 5.3K 91
**Includes SLB Books 1 and 2** Sex, Love, and Basketball follows a groups of girls and a few guys on their journey through life as college students...
8.4K 1.4K 17
When you're broken, lost and got nothing left to lose... you become bulletproof. Trying to fix your life back together after having it shaken upside...
5.5K 258 23
𝐇𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬... follow the heartwarming journey of Allisa, a resilient 19-year-old girl, as she...
425K 21K 13
This is a story about bullying, and like the hundreds of other books on the topic, it will show you the harsh reality of what it is like to be discri...