The institution

Por Essien_Eno

Ugly events around Ivie Momoh's life made her preoccupied with a revolutionary three point agenda; to get her... Más

The institution episode 1
The institution episode 2
The institution episode 4
The institution episode 5
The institution episode 6
The institution episode 7
The institution episode 8
The institution episode 9
The institution episode 10
The institution episode 11
The institution episode 12
The institution episode 13
The institution episode 14
The institution episode 15
The institution episode 16
The institution episode 17
The institution episode 18
The institution episode 19
The institution episode 20
The institution episode 21
The institution episode 22
The institution episode 23
The institution episode 24
The institution episode 25
The institution episode 26
The institution episode 27
The institution episode 28
The institution episode 29
Thr institution episode 30
The institution episode 31
The institution episode 32
The institution episode 33
The institution episode 34
The institution episode 35
The institution episode 36
The institution episode 37
The institution episode 38
The institution episode 39
The institution episode 40
The institution episode 41 (Final episode)

The Institution episode 3

572 144 6
Por Essien_Eno

On the thirteenth day of November 2018, Ivie woke up with plans to go to the institution to see the activities there. She wondered if they've redesigned the building too.
She took her bathe then combed her hair looking at how bad they were. It looked as those the frontal of her hair had been feed to rats in prison.

Mrs Momoh walked into Ivie touching the hair. The texture overdue undergrowth was appalling, if she wanted to be honest. Her hair had naturally turned into a virgin hair. 

"It's bad right?"

"Where are you going to all dressed up?" Her mother ignored her question, "Um.... I want to check out somethings at the institution then I'll go to the bank . It's been a while since I used the account"

"Are you sure you want to go?"

"To the bank? Yes"

"Not the bank, the institution"

"Why?"

"Well I don't think it's a good idea"

"Why?" Ivie folded her hands, she immediately switched from being excited to being worried.

"Shade said the same; is there anything I should be worried about?"
"Nothing. Oh nothing Ivie dear, it's just that you can't go looking like that. Your hair is messy and besides I noticed your clothes might not size you any longer and I was actually hoping we'll go shopping today"

"We can do that later. I'm trying to get my life back. Maybe I should cut the hair off" Ivie switched to the previous topic which made her mother sigh in relief. Knowing fully well who her Ivie was, she thought she was going to dwell on why she didn't want her going to the institution. 

Ivie will definitely be heart broken!

"You can use a wig. I have a lot of wigs to spare, let me help you with a weave and then you're good to go" she volunteered and Ivie chuckled.

"I hope I look good in them"

***

"They sure look good on you than they do on me" Her mother commented after placing the wig on her hair.

"You look like your former self, except now you need lipsticks"
"I don't"

"Your lips are all cracked," "Mom I have to go." She kissed Mrs Momoh on the cheek.

"You may not be familiar with the road anymore, let Captain drive you around"

"I'll exercise my legs besides Captain is old already. Why did you guys still keep him?" Ivie complained.
"It's not in my nature to do such Ivie, I've asked him to retire severally but he still wants to earn more money for his family"

"Tell him his retirement will come with pension, I don't mind if I have to pay him myself"

"I have but you know that old man is as stubborn as a horse!"

"I'll exercise my legs and take a taxi"
"You have to be very careful of these thugs that works around the road these days"

"I'll show them that I've been to prison and they haven't" she answered. Mrs Momoh was forced to laugh.

"Bye Mom"

"I have a spare phone at home, at Least take it so I can know where you are"

"I'll be fine"

"Bye dear" she added and I've walked back in. "I need transport fare"
Mrs Momoh went back into her room then came out with some money giving it to her. "Isn't this too much?"
"In case you get stranded"

"Thanks" she smiled leaving.
Mrs Momoh's phone rang and she picked up a call.

"Are you coming?" The caller asked and she shook her head.
"No. You know i can't, Ivie just got back"

"You haven't told her have you?" The caller asked and she shook her head.
"And I'm not planning on. Good day" she hung up and she sighed.

***

Ivie stepped out of the gate only to have a reporter with her camera crew swarm all over her. "My name is Rita Anderson and I'm a reporter for DTV broadcasting company and I have a few questions I want to ask you"

"I guess have one question for you too. If you answer it, I promise that I'll answer your question too"

"That's only fair"

"How did you find out I was back?"
"News spreads like wild fire around here"

"Well, for it to spread, there has to be a source. Who's your source?" She asked and Rita shook her head.
"I refuse to divulge my source"

"I guess we have no deal again" she walked away and they kept on following her.

"Miss Momoh, you're supposed to spend ten years imprisonment what happened that"

Ivie turned towards the camera angrily. "If you guys dare follow me, I swear on my career as a journalist, I'll sue your company and I'll ruin you and make sure you lose your job and make sure you do not get employed again by any broadcasting company." She threatened and Rita ordered her camera crew to stand back.

Ivie walked away angrily.

"Aren't we supposed to get her to talk to us?" Dickson the camera man, asked and Rita raised her finger.
"We have orders, don't push"

Ivie stood in front of Stanbic IBTC bank, she took a deep sigh just before entering into it.

"Good morning Ma" the security men said to her she was grateful that she didn't have to wait in queue to get in.
He pressed the button and the door open and she walked in.

The number of customers in the bank made her rethink on coming back some other time but she either way decided to stay back.

A lady stood up from a chair so she quickly took the opportunity to sit on the vacant seat in between two men.
The other was old and mature and the other one was younger and we wore a dark shade. Ivie almost rolled her eyes. Wearing shades where there isn't sun, she hissed within, Is it like a trend?

"Good morning Sir" she greeted the aged man, Dr. Ola, "And good morning to you" she finally greeted the other guy with shades, Liam Oscar and they both answered.
Then she tapped her lap impatiently.
"Does this queue take this long?" She asked and Liam scoffed.

"Impatient much? You've barely sat for a minute"

"Seriously?" She asked, "I mean I thought with years rolled by everything would have gotten better. What's this country turning into?"
"You sound like you've been inside a box for too long" Dr. Ola answered and she searched for words to say but she had nothing.

"Well one can say I've been a box. How long does it take a country to develop?"

"If you're talking about a country like Singapore, they're getting to the stage of over development but if you're talking about Nigeria, ah! Till infinity" he answered.

Ivie could denote he was a Yoruba man.

"I'll be 56 next month and I stand uncorrected and unapologetic when I say, since I was born and now that I've gotten old, I have never seen a country like Nigeria"

"Let's not sideline it to Nigeria alone, African countries need to step up" Liam argued and the old man brought his glasses to the brim of his nose.

"Are you Ghananian?" He asked and and he shook his head.

"I'm a Nigerian"

"So what are we talking about? Why should need leave our country to talk about Africa, is my country called Africa?" He asked and Ivie chuckled.
There was a short silence which was followed by a foul smell. Ivie almost felt like disappearing.

Who would have done this? She said to herself, Fine she was convinced that she didn't do it but who out of these two men did something so abnormal?

Worst of it all, one of them might actually think she did it.

Liam suddenly turned to her and she felt uncomfortable with his stare.
He might even be the one, Ivie thought within and then he stood up leaving the place. Or could not be the old man?

"What's your name?" The old man asked, Ivie almost rolled her eyes, she wasn't ready to open her mouth to speak. The smell was still there, she didn't want to end up storing spit in her mouth.

"Ivie Momoh Sir"

"Wait.... The same Ivie Momoh that was accused" "Yes Sir" "No wonder you seem like you've been in a box. Ten years ehn? But you're already out and it's not even ten years yet"
"It's God" she was forced to say in order to avoid the topic.
"Were you really guilty of the charges?" He asked and she shook her head.

"No sir."

22nd of November 2010

The following Monday just after Ivie's wedding, she walked past the cubicles in the office while her employees greeted her good morning and congratulations.

Quite honestly, they were shocked to see her since they expected she would have been on her honeymoon. Then she walked towards her office and Getrude, her secretary rose up. "Ma! Shouldn't you on your honeymoon?" She asked and Ivie chuckled.

"Honeymoon are for those that don't have work"

"Actually the whole idea of honeymoon is to stay away from work" she answered and Ivie rolled her eyes.

"Well a journalist never takes a rest and good morning to you too"
"Sorry Ma. Good morning, I guess that's why Miss Silvia came in see you. She's in your office"

"Okay"

"And the Kingsley the photographer, not the other Kingsley, dropped a frame of you and Barrister Daniel as a wedding gift and it's in the office too"

"Oh. That's thoughtful of him" she held on the door knob, "And one more thing Ma" Getrude said with a big smile.

"What? Can't I just enter into my office in peace?" She asked and Getrude brought out a flower. "Flowers from your secret admirer again" she answered and Ivie rolled her eyes again.

She has been receiving flowers from an anonymous fellow for years now and frankly she was getting fed up.
"Can someone tell that guy that I'm married? At least, was he sensible enough to put a note or a name so I can have him arrested for stalking me" she answered and Getrude frowned.

"Why? Okay no, he didn't put a name on it but he dropped a note" she stretched it out to Ivie and she shook her head.

"Nah, thank you. You can put in the trash along with the others"

"But"

"But nothing Getrude. If you want it, feel free to have it or better yet cook with it" she snapped and Getrude pouted her lips in disappointment.
"Please get me a cup of coffee with a lot of milk, thank you" she added walking into the office the she rolled her eyes.

"This girl and her wahala" she exhaled loudly then she saw Silvia staring at a wedding picture of her.
"That must be the frame Kingsley left. Good morning Silvia" she greeted and she walked to her seat. Ivie sat down.

"Good morning Ivie,"

"I hope you haven't waited for long"
"No. It's only been fifteen minutes" she dropped the frame and Ivie laughed.

"I'm sorry. Daniel didn't want me to leave the house, it was world war three before he finally let me go" she answered and Silvia smiled.

"I guess congratulations are in order Mrs Ejiofor"

"Thank you dear. I'm just so excited"
"Don't tell me you're here to work. I mean what happened to going on an honeymoon"

"Journalists don't take breaks"

"It's your honeymoon were talking about"

"Who cares? I mean Dad already booked a place in Bahamas but I really don't feel like leaving the country neither do I feel like going to another country. I just want to enjoy what I do"

"You over work yourself, that's your problem Ivie"

Getrude walked in with the flower then dropped it on the tabler and Ivie slapped her face. "I don't think I have the heart to throw this one away." She said then she walked out.
"This girl she didn't even bring my cup of coffee" Iviesighed.

"How in the world did I employ her?" She asked and Silvia chuckled.

"What are these?" She asked and Ivie looked at the flower.

"Lemon grass" she answered and Silvia laughed.

"I'm sorry, stupid question. Are they flowers from Daniel?"

"No. They're from an anonymous idiot who thinks he's romantic but the truth is that, he isn't. Can you believe the idiot has been sending this for three years? I'm this close to reporting this to the police."

"Come on Ivie! You're too serious, he's just a harmless admirer"
"How am I sure he's not a serial killer?"

"If he was he would have had made a move to kill you"

"If I want to find out who this guy is, I would have by now. Even if it means arresting the delivery guy to get to him"

"Do you know how many ladies are dying to have secret admirers" Silvia picked up the note reading it out loud.

"To my favorite journalist,from your biggest fan, Mr anonymous"
"Tell me that doesn't sound like a death threat from a stalker?"

Silvia sniffed the flower, "It smells nice" "And it's going down the trash can maybe it will make the trash can smell nice" she answered and Silvia rolled her eyes.

"What?"

"You're too serious" she complained and I rolled my eyes.

"What is it you want?"

***** Now *****

Still waiting at the bank, Ivie walked up to a young woman, she guessed that she must be like a marketer or something and she smiled. "What can I help you with?" She asked almost robotic and she nodded.
"I have issues with my... My account has been dormant for a while now and I was wondering where I can forward my complain"

"Go upstairs. The second room, urgh! I won't be able to explain it well. Just go into any room and ask question"
"Thank you dear"

"You're welcome Miss" she answered.

Ivie climbed up the stairs and then she walked into a room. She recognized a a woman's face, Miss Blessing. Although it wasn't her regular go to banker and she once had issues with her after she spoke rudely to a customer years ago and Ivie had her reported.

"Good morning" I greeted with a smile and she frowned at me chewing her gum.

"It's afternoon"

"Are you sure cause I don't want to believe I've been waiting for hours"
"It's 12:02"

"Ehen? Well, I'm here make some transaction"

"Can you please sit down there, I'm currently attending to a customer" she answered and she turned over to a vacnmant seat where she was to sit and she did.

She sat down and I closely observed her closeness with the customer, they weren't even talking about bank related things. The other staff were busy.

Ivie rose up in anger, if there was something she had impatience for, it was indiscipline. "Madam, how can you keep a customer waiting when you're here doing unimportant things"

"Madam, shebi she said she was busy" the woman said, "Oh shut up there! You should be the one telling her the right thing to do yet you're here covering up for her"

"Please don't tell me to shut up" the customer rose up.

"How dare you? Who are you sef? Ex convinct like you, what right do you have? Who even released this dog from jail?" She continued and Ivie scoffed.

"That's why this country will keep on wasting away because of people like you and you!" She paused then she walked out of the office.

"Ivie don't cry, don't you dare cry" she remembered those days when she had authority; how staffs will cower in humility whenever she walks into any bank.

She commanded respect and no one dated exhibit any form of indiscipline before her. Every form of indiscipline ended up on the front page of the institution.

She went into the bank lavatory where she busted into tears and also eased herself. Then she got out, washed her hands looking into the mirror.

"I refuse to be made a fool, you're not an ex-convinct cause you didn't do anything Ivie. You are Ivie Momoh and Ivie Momoh doesn't fold her hands and watch people humiliate her. You're going to go in there and put that woman in her place" she determined storming off to the office then she saw blessing pointing towards her.

"That's the woman!' Blessing yelled and the security guard walked towards Ivie.

"Madam you'll have to follow me out"
"Why?"

"You're causing nuisance"

"Oh please! Do you realize you're using present tense, do you see me throwing tear gas or disrupting any activity"

"Send her out, she just got out of jail. If you see the way she was creating a scene a while ago, I'm sure she's crazy"

"What kind of person are you?" Ivie charged towards Blessing, "You call yourself blessing and yet you're acting like a curse"

"See how irrational she's acting"

"After I sort my issues out, I'll empty my account and bank elsewhere"
"Madam please follow me" the security guard gestured holding her hands.

"I'm not leaving until I get to see the bank manager!" She yelled and some persons got out of their offices to know what was going on.

"What's going on here?" Liam asked and Blessing pointed at Ivie. "We're just trying to send this deranged woman out of the bank before she causes more scene"

"How dare you?" Ivie snapped, "I know a deranged woman when I see one, this woman isn't deranged"
"Sir"

"Let go of the lady this instance" He ordered and the security man glanced at Blessing. "You don't want to see my red eyes" he added firmly and the security guard let go of Ivie's arm.

Then he walked away.

"What's going on here?" One of the bankers asked, "It's just a minor misunderstanding, it has already been sorted" Liam answered and the rest walked away to discharge their duties.

"Sir, you don't understand, this woman is insane"

"She's not"

"You've got a good head Sir. Can you believe that this rude lady had the nerves to intentionally ignore me because of clash i had with her years ago"

"Is that true?" He asked and she looked away then Blessing faced him back. It was as if the man before her had some sort of influence on her.

"Sir you know this things, I was really busy"

"You should apologize to her"

"Sir?" She scoffed at his opinion.
"You were wrong Blessing"
"I'm sorry" Blessing apologized, of course Ivie knew she didn't mean it but she wasn't willing to waste a sweet opportunity.

"And you'll never do itagain"

"And I'll never do that again."

"That's so sweet."

"I'll now attend to you" she answered, "I'll be with you shortly" Ivie answered then she folded her hands looking at Liam.

"Are you like the manager or something?"

"No. I'm just a prominent customer, not bragging"

"That makes sense cause you don't look like one" she snapped and he chuckled.

"Ouch"

"I didn't mean that as an insult. Did you see it as one?"
"I guess insult is the ears of the listener" he answered and she chuckled.

"I see what you just did there. You know as at 2010 I had this same authority over the staff here, they discharge their duties efficiently in tremble whenever I come around" she sighed.

"Does that make me sound like someone who's living in her past glory"

"Yes it does" he answered and they both laughed.

"Can I look into the eyes of the man that save my ass?" She requested and he chuckled.

"Would you kiss me too?" He asked and she scoffed.

"You don't flirt with strangers, respect the Golden rule"
"Whose golden rule?"

"It's a golden rule. You don't flirt first time meeting a person"
"That's enough turn off even if I was flirting" he answered and she smiled.
"I'm sorry Grandma" he apologized, "Grandma?" She scoffed.

"Can you please take off your wind screen, I can't even see your eyes. I'm pretty sure it's tinted and let me guess, it's bullet proof too" she asked and he laughed sarcastically.
"Are you always this forward and funny?"

"I've been jailed for it so you can start pressing charges cause those glasses look odd on you.
Read " Palm lines " by the same author ( Essien Eno )
. I only sat close to you because I didn't come along with much money. You look like you have a gun"
"Like I have a gun, nice choice of word instead of using, I look like armed robber" he answered and she chuckled.

"I mean what the hell? Why do you have a sun shade on when there's no sun shining here. I won't be shocked you came with an umbrella too" she added and he laughed.

"Please grant me this one request and let me gaze upon your face" "Let me guess, you're a fan of Shakespeare too"

"I adore him" she whispered.
"I really don't want to take off my glasses" "So tell me Meduza, will I turn into stone?" She asked and he laughed.

"Who's flirting now"

"That's not called flirting...."

"Well you won't turn into stone but... Since you're insisting" he took it off to reveal his red eyes. He had conjunctivitis.

"Jesus! Put it back on?" She snapped covering her eyes and he wore the glasses back feeling awkward.
"My eyes are already watery, why didn't you tell me you had Apollo?" "What happened to let me gaze upon your face?"

"I don't like looking at it. I'll get affected too"

"I'm sorry" he apologized and there was a brief silence.
"So you meant it literally when you said, you don't want to see my red eyes" she added and he laughed.
"Thank you for helping me out"

"You're welcome"

"I'm William Oscar, you can call me Will or Liam, I go by a lot of names" he stretched his hands, "Ivie Momoh, you can call me Ivie" she received his stretched out hands with a smile. She expected the usual Ivie Momoh sentimental prison talk but he didn't bring it up.

"I have to leave. I have something to catch up with" he answered and she smiled.

"Can I get your number?" He asked and she shut her eyes.

"The thing is I don't have a phone for now"

"It's cool. Bye" he answered leaving, "Bye" she waved at him.

****

Liam walked into Trance Fm holding a bottle of yoghourt , and a guy frowned stretching a letter out to him.

"If that's what I think it is don't give it to me"

"The government are warning us to desist from slander. If they come up strong at us, we'll be powerless"

"Let them come Frank, I'll be here waiting"

"Going head on with the government, don't you think you should at least reduce your retorts and responses, at least make it diplomatic" he requested and Liam chuckled.

"Broadcasting Regulation states that we shall adhere to the general principles of legality, to decency, to truth, integrity and respect for human dignity as well as the cultural, moral and social values of the people. That's what I'm doing and if Samuel doesn't like it, he should go shit himself" he snapped leaving his presence and Frank exhaled.
"Yes Boss"

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

34.4K 2.2K 35
Watching his only sister bruttally abused right in front of him, Nabil Dilregi becomes a stone hearted, self conscious and dangerous person. But what...
624 90 26
Tayo and Obiagelie never planned to cross paths. Will they do the needful? What happens next is entirely up to them. #BlackLove #Naija4life #Nigerian...
7.4K 434 29
People are shaped by their environment, their experience. They are either built up or torn down. But when your so torn down its hard to function, so...
22.9K 4.1K 83
"What's happening?, why are they taking you away? Say something already!! Please say something" I broke down in hot tears as I dragged him trying to...