Open fire

By white_lies_me

~sequel to Flames in water~ {Calum Hood fanfiction} Who knew that after several peaceful years, you and your... More

Part 2 "I wish for something else"
Part 3 "Perth"
Part 4 "New area"
Part 5 "Let's get the crew"
Part 6 "Start somewhere"
Part 7 "News are the worst"
Part 8 "Clues and unknown"
Part 9 "Family"
Part 10 "Strange behaviours"
Part 11 "We've got it?"
Part 12 "Out of control"
Part 13 "Small talk"
Part 14 "Troubles along the way"
Part 15 "There's still time for everything"
Part 16 "Emergency"
Part 17 "Too soon"
Part 18 "Doesn't have to be miserable always"
Part 19 "Come clean with it"
Part 20 "Time is ticking by"
Part 21 "What is left?"
Part 22 "In between two worlds"
Part 23 "If the world ends now"
Part 24 "On your way"
Part 25 "Only one scar is permanent"
Part 26 "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"
Part 27 "Choices are never simple"
Part 28 "All the voices in my mind are calling out for me"
Part 29 "Gotta get out"
Part 30 "Broken pieces"
Part 31 "Agreements and disagreements"
Part 32 "An unexpected visit"
Part 33 "Trust"
Part 34 "Just like you"
Part 35 "Confessions"
Part 36 "I love and hate surprises"
Part 37 "Figuring things out"
Part 38 "Final decision"
Part 39 "I'm not ready to start again"
Part 40 "Mission accepted"
Part 41 "Back to the Dead forest"
Part 42 "Ghost of you"
Part 43 "Undoing the wrong"
Part 44 "On the edge"
Part 45 "Open fire"
Part 46 "End of an adventure"

Part 1 "Once more"

196 6 5
By white_lies_me

Five beautiful years have passed since the war that finally brought peace to the werewolf and werecat world. Everything has been amazing so far, calm, fun, unexpected. Last year you and Calum actually travelled across your whole world. That was the original plan so long ago, to think it's been held off for that while. You saw so much, the beautiful beaches, mountains, forests, everything and he was there with you all along. It was great to do that travel, it felt natural, like you were supposed to always be on the road and never in one place. You came back two months ago to your little village, everything remained as if you never left.

***

"Morning" you say as you smile at Ashton once you walked by his house. Ash changed a lot in the last five years, he had shorter brown hair, was taller and more broad, but his personality is still the same. He learned quite a bit about himself which is what he always wanted, you and him got to know eachother again after missing out on it for a few years as well. Ash became more self-aware you could say, he wasn't that silly as he used to be.

"Morning sis, what's the plan for today" he flashes a smile too.

"Don't know yet, you?" you come closer to his door, leaning on the pillar next to it. This was somewhat of a routine.

"None whatsoever, as usual. We could ask Luke, he always has something planned" he answers, gesturing in the direction Luke and Sierra lived.

"Yeah, sure" you comply, walking over there with him. The two of you occasionally waved to other people that were walking around, mostly to the ones you knew better. You knock on Luke's door, waiting for the tall blonde figure to emerge. Luke and Ashton switched hairstyles a little bit, Luke now had long, blonde curls and was taller than Ashton, he was six foot four, but he'll tell you he's six two at best. He also had a stubble going on, which suited him well with the hair he had now. Remember how Luke and Sierra had an undefined relationship, that all changed as well, almost immediately after the war. They are happy being mates, no matter how much Sierra complains about him, she loves him still. Luke was still the most intimidating one if you meet the group, but really he stayed the goofball, somewhat awkward and fun guy he was. Thankfully though, he got quite a bit of confidence in himself that he didn't have before.

"Irwins, what do you two need today?" he grins widely.

"Better question is what are you doing today? We don't have anything planned, but you know that already" you answer, which made him chuckle.

"Si and I are doing paintings of us, but she is doing much better than me" all of you laugh.

"Luke, what's taking you so long?" you hear Sierra's voice echo, untill she arrives herself. She almost hasn't changed at all, but she grew up just like everyone else. You learned they way she thinks and actually a bit of it rubbed on you, she taught you quite a lot on your mental powers as well. Sierra also became more skilled in the way your two species work, everything about them there was to know, well, the things that were saved.

"Oh, Willow, Ash!" she happily greets you. You may have lived in close quarters, but you didn't need to talk to eachother all the time like earlier, so it was natural for all of you to be happy to see one another again.

"You painting I see" Ash comments, pointing to the spots of paint on her cheek. Luke laughs lightly and Sierra glares at him, she didn't seem pleased.

"He did that" she says, poking his cheek, she had to stand on her tiptoes to reach him. Everyone laughed lightly, even her at that.

"Okay then, we'll leave you to it I guess" Ash says and the two of you walking off, still having no plans for today.

"Ashton" you hear a familiar voice say. You turn around to see Sarah rushing your way, you didn't see that every day. She had cut her hair to shoulder length, but kept it dyed toned red and also had bangs now. You grew slightly taller than her, which you couldn't shut up about when you teased her about things. Sarah has learned to better hide her anger, as well as when to say things to somebody's face and when not to. She also spent a lot of time perfecting her scouting skills, she just always had a feeling they'd be needed again, it was also one of her favourite things to do.

"Sarah, what's up?" he asks, surprised to catch her like that.

"Hi Willow" she greets you too, giving you a tight hug.

"Hey, what's new?" you say in exchange.

"Nothing much, but I actually need Ashton's help for something" she says and he nods for her to continue.

"Can you come to my house to help me move some furniture around?" she asks, he smiles, saying of course.

"Right, you go do that guys. I'll continue my walk" you say, waving them off.

***

You knocked on Mali's door now, you actually saw her yesterday, but it was a habit for you two to have a daily chat.

"Hey Willow, wanna walk like yesterday?" she already offers with a smile, you chuckle at that.

"You got me" you laugh a little and go to Michael and Crystal's house. Mali's appearance didn't change much, expect that she had more of her natural black hair now, but still some blonde highlights creeping in. You could say she was kind of your best friend in the group, your girl friend, but you loved them all equally. She explained her knowledge when it came to healers and travelled on her own for a few months as well. She was still the same sensible, caring, kind and wise person she was then, but now she didn't hesitate to show her fun side. One you thing you did notice about Mali was that she was getting more self-conscious, nervous, she didn't feel as confident as before and you never got to know why. You knock on Crys and Mike's door to see your brother from another mother, Michael Clifford. Mike has changed his hair colours throughout these years, he had red, orange, purple, blue, he had them all, but now he's keeping it blonde. He had a stubble just like Luke, although his was a bit more visible. He's grown up to be the same height as Calum, keeping his style of wearing all black everyday with his snapback as well. He is still the same, quirky, clumsy, loud and always ends up in trouble boy you knew, but he learned one thing. Responsibility, or better said Crystal taught him. Crys was Sarah's height and as she was the oldest, she didn't change almost at all, well, she became more beautiful if that was even possible. Her character of sometimes taking care of everybody, being the voice of reason when Mali isn't and the fun she brought in your group was still there. You loved talking to her because she always cheered you up, no matter how bad of a day you were having.

"Hey guys. To what do I owe this pleasure for?" he smiles, hugging you both.

"We wanted to check up on you and Crys" Mali answers for you. He gestures for you to get in instantly, seeming really glad to hear that.

"She's fine now. I guess that those two days were just passing" he explains as he scratches the back of his neck.

"Hey girls, come join me!" she eagerly says, patting the spot on the couch. Crystal never liked being alone so she hated it if she had a cold or something and couldn't hang out with you. Although werewolves and werecats had healing powers they'd get a cold specific for them, not the one that humans experience, even if the symptoms are the same. You sit and hug her tightly from the left side, while Mali does the same from the right side.

"Okay, okay, enough, maybe you'll get sick too" Mikey shakes his head, chuckling.

"It is worth it" you answer him, everyone laughing. You chatted a bit more before you decided to leave. Mali wanted to stay some more so you went back to your house on your own.

***

"Cal are you here?" you question as you enter you home. You don't get a response, just two grabby arms emerge from the couch, pretty standard. You chuckle as you go around the couch to see him laying on it. He had a lazy smile on his face, his hands gesturing for you to come closer. This was the quirky and baby Calum you see too much of nowadays, but you do love him. Calum had changed drastically physycal wise, he used to be skinny, seeming weak at first glance, but now there was muscle there, he was taller than then. Ashton was the shortest of all the boys, even if he was the oldest out of them, but what was scary is that he isn't even that short, he's six feet for goodness' sake. Cal had let himself lose, all that stress had been lifted off of his shoulder and his personality began to shine in a lot more. He wasn't as serious all the time, his confidence was over the moon, but he still had the aspects of a leader. You got to know the real Calum, the crazy, strong opinionated, sarcastic one, the total opposite of what he could be.

"I'm here" he answers, pulling you down on him.

"What are we gonna do today?" he asks, kissing your temple.

"I've been trying to figure it out the whole morning!" you groan, but chuckle afterwards which makes him smile. You roll off of him to stand up, which leaves a pout on his face. He sits up straight, looking to be lost in his own thoughts for a moment.

"I miss the traveling, seems like it's always been in our blood" he sighs.

"Well, after one hell of it you never get used to having so much free time" you try to lighten the mood as you sit next to him.

"And it's been so peaceful, but that's a good thing of course. I'm just not used to it, even after five years" he says, ruffling his hair up.

"But it's better than war, isn't it?" you bring your knees to your chest as he nods slowly.

"I wouldn't ever wish for it to continue again, of course Willow. But seriously, we don't have anything to do!" he explains with a little laugh, he was right though.

"I'm the laziest alpha in history" he laughs, you chuckle.

"Well, don't say it like that. I mean, there wouldn't be any of this without you and our pack" you smile and he grins, you always knew how to make eachother feel better.

"You know-" he starts, but is cut out as quickly covers his ears, his face scrunching up, eyes shuttting tightly. You did just the same as you heard a giant sound that sent shivers down your spine. You swear you felt your ears bleed, it was so loud and it came out of nowhere.

"What the hell just happend?!" he questions, more himself than you as he gets up, massaging his ears.

"Nothing good" you mumble, immediately getting outside to inspect things.

Everyone was already out of their homes, looking everywhere untill their eyes landed on you and Calum.

"Did everyone hear that?" he questions, people nodding their heads in response.

"I-i, something's changed Cal" you say, hugging yourself as if you felt exposed because of it, it felt weird.

"Willow!" you hear Sierra shout, dragging Luke behind her throughout the crowd.

"Are you okay? Are you feeling the same thing as me?" you question, as she stops in front of you to catch a breath.

"I do, I think something horrible happened" she tries to explain, Luke stroked her shoulder lightly as he tried to calm her down. One of things you got from Si is that when things alike theses happen you freak out almost.

"Calum!" you hear Ashton and Sarah emerge from the crowd as well, Michael, Crystal and Mali behind them. They stand around you, looking very confused and startled.

"Okay everyone just calm down. We have to figure out what happend!" he shouts, everyone becoming silent at once. Suddenly people who can also talk to trees came to you and Sierra, whispers being shared all around. You gasp, realising what happend, you had every right to be scared now.

"Calum you won't believe this" you whisper in his ear what happend, feeling his heart rate increase instantly.

"Where's Charlie?" he calls out to the crowd, before Charlie shows himself. They talk something amongst themselves, it's a good thing Charlie was always there to help, although you didn't need his guidance in a while. You informed your friends what happend, terrified of what this may mean, you glanced at the crowd seeing your mom and other parents of your friends looking just like you. You really didn't want to stress all these people out, but who knows what this may lead to. After a few minutes you hear Calum clear his throat, a thing he always does when something's very, very serious.

-

"Everyone there's no need for panic. Just listen to the whole story first, please" he calmly addresses, but there was slight hesitation in his voice.

"The barrier to the human world is broken" gasps evoked throughout the crowd of people, panic surrounding everyone's fear, denial in some.

"Please listen! It means that this peninsula is visible to them. They can cross on it and see everything and we're in trouble" he says, trying to keep the calm voice.

"We're gonna die!" some people shouted, that made your stomach twist.

"This is war" some whispered, one of them being your own mother, oh God what is going on... Cal growled to get everyone's attention back, seeing as they were in their own worlds.

"This isn't a war. Charlie please" Cal says, letting him speak.

"It'll be alright. Our ancestors had a plan prepared for this situation, they built underground tunnels which have food, water, houses, everything we need. They are alike an underground village. Besides, this isn't anything confirmed yet, but in case it's true everyone needs to pack now" he finishes, simple but effective as always.

"Go to your home, pick only things necessary and wait for us right here. The tunnels are all around the world here so we'll get there shortly. Know that you aren't alone in this" Calum addresses and grabs your hand on his last words. You see everyone hurrying back to get packed, following alpha's orders without any doubts. You wave off to your friends as they do the same and lastly to your mom as you get back to your house.

***

"This should be everything" you sigh, putting your backpack on. This was just like when you and Mike were getting ready for your journey, but it was less sad.

"Just when we said things were getting boring" he manages to chuckle slightly, zipping his bag up, while you give a small smile.

"This is more dangerous than last time Calum. If it's true" you whisper, it felt odd to think about it. Millenniums have passed and the barrier had never been broken before.

"I know baby, but we're older now" he says as he takes your hand and guides you out of the house. You took a glance one last time before exiting your home and going in front of the line. It may have served only for five years, but you've grown to love it, it's a shame you have to leave. There were a few people to count how many of you were there, others checked the houses to see if anyone was left behind, thankfully it didn't take long.

"Okay, stay together. We should be there shortly" Calum reassures, starting to walk with you right beside him, your friends second in the line with Charlie, the rest following.

***

"There we go" Charlie grunts, opening the metal door on the ground. You gotta admit, it was very well hidden from everything, no wonder noone knew about these tunnels.

"Okay, one by one, come on" Cal says, gesturing for people to get in. Charlie entered first to help anyone if needed, children were the priority, then everyone else. Calum got in last and you two turned to look at the sight before you. A line of small, cozy houses lined up along the wide tunnel. They weren't as big as the ones in the village, but quite charming nonetheless.

"This doesn't seem so bad" Sierra comments as you nod your head, agreeing.

"Come on" Luke says, following Cal and Charlie.

"Everybody will have basically the same house as before, so we'll go in that order" Cal explains, people walking off to find theirs. There was plenty of food for everyone as well as water, you even had an underground lake. What more could you need?

***

A few hour have passed by while everyone settled in. You didn't bother to unpack, you just left your stuff in a room and that was it, going to check on your mother quickly afterwards. If this was all a lie you wouldn't have to stay here that long.
Currently the old gang was sitting in a circle on some chairs you brought out.

"How did you know about this Charlie?" Ashton questions, fumbling with his fingers.

"Only the elders know of this place" he explains, everyone taking the information in, it was logical.

"What now?" Crystal questions, glancing at Charlie with worry.

"We have to find out if this really happened" Michael answers her.

"But how, or why?" Luke couldn't keep silent and by the way Charlie shrugged not even he knew.

"I don't know, this should have never happened. I don't have an explanation for it" he says, showing no emotion, although you knew that deep down he was extremely unbalanced about it.

"Why is it happening now..." Sierra mumbles, more to herself, but everybody understood her.

"This spell was cast by our ancestors, you can't simply break it " Mali adds, throwing a rock in the lake behind you.

"We have to find out" Calum says, it was pretty obvious what your next move was by his words.

"You'll go again?" Charlie asks and everyone nodded without a second thought.

"We did it the first time, we'll do it again. Besides, you don't know for sure what's going on out there" Michael shrugs.

"Fair, just be quick. If this isn't false humans should already be sending in helicopters and people to investigate, you don't want to seem foreign" Charlie warns you. You could tell he had more to say, but held it off.

"Alright then, we're going at dawn" you say, throwing another rock into the lake.

"Once more" Calum adds, which made everybody smile, but you were still worried that this isn't a game at all. You've learned it before.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14K 298 27
Looking after his dog was just supposed to be a job. it all started out just fine but somehow things escalated. I never expected for things to chang...
488 6 32
"Lucy listen to me! Everything is going to be ok. Trust me" "Calum... I can't trust you. He's already ruined my life before so how do I know you won'...
333K 9.6K 31
|book one| im-prin-ted se-ries ❝in which a half wolf, half teenage boy meets his imprint. his human imprint.❞
70.9K 2.7K 50
The universe has a funny way of making strangers appear in your life repeatedly when it's time for them to become a piece to your story. For Calum th...