Free as a Jailbird

By IsabellaModra

Jess Knight likes her freedom. Despite being in jail for about sixty-five percent of her teenage life, she is... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Changes
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69

Chapter 11

7.6K 352 12
By IsabellaModra

"What to wear, what to wear ..." I plough through my minimal closet for something other than sweatpants and dirty jail jumpers. "Alice?!"

"Yeah?" shouts a voice from downstairs.

"Where's that leather jacket I bought last month?"

The sound of pounding footsteps comes from the hallway and as I pull on my black jeans, Alice's lanky form steps into my doorway.

"The what?"

"My leather jacket," I sigh.

"Oh, in the hamper."

"Thanks." I brush through my damp hair and shove it back into a pony tail.

Alice is still in my doorway with her arms crossed. Her silver-blond hair hangs in her eyes but I can see her mouth is set in a tight line. I pause for long enough to frown at her.

"What is it this time?"

"He's a policeman, Jess," she sighs.

"No, really? I thought that was an ice-cream van parked outside."

She rolls her eyes. "Don't you get it? He's probably only dating you so he can find a way to catch you on the job, and everyone else who's involved."

"Alice, relax. And give my friends a little credit, would you? If they see me with a cop, they're not just gonna waltz right up to us and ask me when I'm supervising the next shipment." I make my way to the door and when she doesn't move, I slap my hands against my sides and groan. "What?"

Alice seems reluctant to voice her opinion, especially after what happened in the car the other night. But I know she's just looking out for me. "Jess you know how much I hate you getting into all of these dangerous situations. But I think ... well I think this is a bad idea."

"Why, because he could turn me in? You just don't want another bail on your hands." As soon as the words come out of my mouth I scold myself. Why am I defending someone I just met over the girl who fed me, clothed me and dragged my ass out of jail more times than even my own family? I shouldn't be so hard on her. But I'm not used to having a parent and I hate being told that I'm making wrong decisions. It's my life. I've learnt to deal with my mistakes all on my own and I will continue to do so.

She exhales. "No, that's not it. It's just that I don't want to see you get hurt."

"He's a cop, Ali, I'm pretty sure the person getting hurt will be the guy at the other end of his gun."

"Not that kind of hurt, you idiot. Emotionally."

"Look, I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself and make my own decisions. Now will you please get out of my way and let me have one normal day for the first time in centuries?"

She steps aside almost mechanically and I don't have the guts to even say goodbye. Her expression leaves me feeling a deep pain inside but I push it away with more anger. How can she judge Nick like that? I may have just met him, but he doesn't seem like the type to secretly plan to throw me behind bars again. I guess the voice inside my head isn't the only one finding it hard to believe that a guy might actually like me.

Nick sits behind the wheel of the police vehicle with the windows rolled down. I don't understand that; it's freezing today. When I climb in the car, I see him fiddling with his walkie-talkie police radio thingy. It doesn't seem to be working.

I close the door and Nick turns to smile at me. "Did I tell you I had a really great time last night?"

"No, but I figured so since you're back for more," I reply with a flirty grin. The engine putters to life. "Where are we going for coffee exactly, because I'm wondering if the police car is a bit hazardous ..."

He breathes a laugh and backs out onto the road. "Do you want to sit in the back so you won't look like you're fraternizing with the enemy or something?"

"Ha ha," I say with a glare. "But seriously, could you at least lose the uniform? If anyone sees me with you–"

"What's wrong with anyone seeing you with me?" His big, brown eyes are sad and I feel my stomach drop as the streets whiz past us.

"I didn't mean it like that, it's just ... well I have a reputation on the streets and if I'm seen dating a cop ..." Goddammit, now I'm really digging myself a hole. Nick isn't saying anything and his hands are clenching the steering wheel so hard, his knuckles have turned a creamy colour.

I never want to open my mouth again. Here I am with this great guy about to go on my first real coffee date and I've already offended him, what, five minutes into it? I hate the awkwardness but I have nothing to say. Honestly, I dread getting out of the car for fear one of the local crews sees me. But I have to do it so that Nick will see that I don't care what people think of me. I want so badly to get to know him, to prove to him that I'm not just some criminal without a life or a need for affection. Last night was one of the best nights of my life so far. I want more.

"Nick, I'm so–"

"I'll drop the car off and get another if you want me to," he says in a small voice, but it's sharp enough to interrupt me.

"No don't, its fine."

He glances at me fleetingly before looking back at the road and I see uncertainty in his eyes. "Really?"

"Yeah sure," I tell him, even though I know I am going to get a lot of shit for this if I'm seen.

"Okay, but we have to stop at the station anyway, I gotta drop off this jerk in the back." Nick flicks his thumb behind him, seemingly cheery again, and I spin to see a wrinkly old man I surprisingly don't know with a beard longer than my hair and scars slashed across his face like art on a canvas. He grumbles something at me and I duck back in my seat, sliding down until I can no longer see the road.

Nick snickers.

"What?" I snap.

When he catches a glimpse of my face, he bursts out laughing. "I was just waiting for a good time to drop that bombshell. It was worth it, and now we're even." He turns into the station and makes me wait in the car while he escorts the old guy into the building. I take that opportunity to make the most of my time in the front of the car. It's pretty nice not being handcuffed for once, and I pick up the walkie-talkie radio and pretend to speak into the mouthpiece, careful not to press any of the buttons. It's a laugh, sitting there like I'm an actual officer. I roughly shove the radio back into its holder when I come to the realization that if someone sees me in this car by myself without an officer or restraints I'll be in deep shit, and Nick will too.

I sink low in the chair and try not to breathe. How long will Nick be? Is he going to change like I asked him? Oh God please don't let him be long, I can't be seen in this thing!

My heart pounds as I suddenly hear voices and I don't dare peer through the window. Then the driver door flies open and I jump in my seat, spinning and ready to put up a good fight.

Nick is there with his hands up in calm defence. He has a sly grin on his mouth.

"Easy, it's just me." He slides in behind the wheel and gives me a questioning frown as he starts the car. "What were you doing that made you so jumpy?"

I blush as Nick reaches down to pick up the cigarette lighter and answers his own question.

"Do you smoke Jess?" He pulls it out of the hole. The end is burning red.

"No!" I say too suddenly. I must've accidentally activated it in my haste to stick the radio back where it belongs. "I was just ... er ... bored."

Nick snorts. "Sure. I believe you."

I roll my eyes as we pull out of the station. "I don't smoke. It's disgusting."

"I agree," he replies. "And did you notice? I changed."

I had noticed, I just don't admit it. "Thanks," I say in an effort to make things less awkward. "So where are we going for coffee then?"

"If I tell you, I'll have to kill you."

"I'd like to see you try." Thinking about Nick and I in a street fight makes me snicker. With my expertise and experience, he wouldn't stand a chance.

But Nick has other ways. Without warning, he swerves off the road and we speed straight for a thick of trees.

"Nick!" I shriek.

At the last minute he spins the wheel hard to the left and we are back on the road following a round of screeching wheels. No one is brave enough to beep their horn at a cop car.

I sit there frozen, breathing deeply, then turn to glare at Nick. He is trying very hard to stop himself from collapsing with laughter.

"You didn't have to be so specific," I snap, but I can't help letting a smile form.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33K 1.9K 8
After being betrayed by the ones who she cared for most, Cleo must make a decision as a war breaks out between vampires and humans-- which side she'l...
553K 27.3K 50
(The Forgotten Passages Book One) After almost nineteen years, I was used to life - used to school, used to having to put down my beloved books in ex...
418K 15.3K 192
Won Yoo-ha, a trainee unfairly deprived of the opportunity to appear on a survival program scheduled to hit the jackpot, became a failure of an idol...
897 150 29
Mysteriously transported to her past, soon-to-be college student, Clara Williams, has to find her way back to her own time or get stuck doing high sc...