Chapter 34

Hazel really didn't exaggerate when she said she knows people. In fact, it may as well be Hazel's party. The moment we arrive together, I feel as if every eye has turned on us. Hazel smiles widely, flashing her jeweler like it's worth all the gold in Peru, her new blond hair streaked with pink and her ridiculously high heels clapping on the pavement. Hazel is like a celebrity but no one wants to take her picture. And I feel like her plus one.

"Try to smile Jess," she whispers to me and hobbles over to a group of boys, whom she greets with kisses and squeals of delight. I even see one of them slip her a pill.

But I'm not here to get in with popular crowd like she suspects. I'm not even awed by the mansion of a house that Garcia owns, more impressive than any house I've ever been to. I'm focused. I know that this will be the perfect opportunity not only to speak to Lizzie but to inspect the house where her father – my target – will be at his most vulnerable.

What amazes me is how easy it is for me to get inside Lizzie's life. Really, I didn't even have to try hard at all.

"Who's your friend?" asks one of Hazel's male companions. He is checking me up and down. I roll my eyes and scope out the perimeter. It looks like the first floor is mainly occupied by the party. The second flood is dark, but for a couple of rooms. The third floor – an extension of the house – doesn't have windows. I make careful note to inspect that area later. We are now at the front steps of the house.

"She's no one of importance," says Hazel. "But she's dating a c–"

"Hazel!" I squeal loudly before she can blab to the world that I'm 'fraternizing'. It goes against my personality completely to be bubbly, but maybe I can pass for a little tipsy and we can all relax. "Are these the boys you told me about?"

The girl looks at me as though I've just spoken French to her. "Jess, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I drone, pretending to stumble against one of the guys. "I just want in."

"In on what?" Hazel asks skeptically.

I lean in and the four boys follow. "On the drugs," I whisper loudly.

"Shh!" Hazel hisses.

"Uh Hazel, I think you'd better get your friend inside," says one of the guys. He's got serious muscle but a face that looks like it was punched in at birth. The one I am leaning on shoves me away.

"Danny, I–"

"See you around babe," he mutters and the four of them sulk away.

Hazel turns to me with a murderous look in her eyes.

"This is how you're going to get Lizzie's attention? By parading around like a sad little drunk teenager? Do you really think she's going to want to be your friend now?"

"I'm not drunk. Dry up," I snap, staring at the crowd in the foyer. "What kind of rich bitch is this girl anyway, she's got dumb druggies doing cheap pills on her front lawn."

"F-Y-I, Jailbird, that was Lizzie's brother."

"Lizzie's brother?" I gape and turn around to stare. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I didn't think it was vital information! Lizzie always tries to get him help because she thinks he's in with the wrong crowd. He brings all the drugs to her parties, she kicks him and his buddies out, they hang around, it's standard procedure."

"Okay seriously, why aren't you and her brother dating? Then you'll all be in-laws and make wonderfully colorful children."

Hazel rolls her eyes dramatically.

"How do you know all this anyway?" I ask as we pass through the front door. The music pumps against my eardrums and makes my head feel as though it's caving in from the sides. "Sounds like you know these gigs like the back of your hand!"

"I pay attention!" She points down the hallway to the back of the house where, through the sliding doors, the glimmer of water is just visible. The house isn't as crowded as it looks outside and there are loud cheers coming from the kitchen. Everything looks messy already, but it's obvious that before the party, this house was beautifully decorated and perfectly clean. "Down there is the kitchen, which you want to avoid. Lizzie will probably be outside by the pool. She won't be alone, so good luck trying to talk to her."

"Where are you going?" I ask as Hazel turns to the staircase.

She winks at me. "Down here it's party hard, upstairs ... well there's a lot of hard there too."

"Disgusting," I mutter and we split.