Chapter 66

The meet with my lawyer – the same guy from the interrogation – is a little unnerving, to say the least. I feel like he's just graduated from college and this is his first big trial. I suppose it's not world-famous, but around this city, Garcia's name isn't exactly non-existent. Especially in my neighborhood.

I keep asking questions about the streets. My lawyer knows nothing, except that they're going to put Todd and the others on trial too. Thankfully they're all pretty well-connected after years trying to escape prison. Billy actually did ten years, so his record will be a little harder to scratch off. But they're more worried about me.

I'm not, not really. I'm sick of being worried, of fearing who will get hurt or what will come my way next. I'm just thankful that the hard part is over. Garcia's dead and my job is done. I didn't really consider what would happen next. The grass isn't exactly greener, but it's fresher and I'm optimistic about the trial.

Lawyer Lewis wants me to play the victim. He wants me to get the jury to sympathize with my story. Homeless, living off the streets, tough on the outside but broken on the inside. I took the deal with the Mafia because I was threatened into it. I became friends with Lizzie but realized that I actually liked her. I couldn't go through with the assassination when Carole killed herself, and then I was tortured by Garcia and blamed for the mess his life had become until Danny interrupted and shot his father in the head before the police could stop him.

Most of it is true. I'm nervous about testifying against Danny and worried that he'll go to prison. But mostly, I want to make it out to a normal life. A free life.