It Began With a Smirk

By JadedRein

When Rein decided to make the move from Connecticut where she'd been living with her marine father to join he... More

1: Welcome Home
2: By the Way
3: Make an Impression
4: Settling In
5: Rain in the Grass
6: Invitations
7: Playing Rough
8: Wake-Up Call
9: Sucking Up
10: Let the Grass Grow
11: A Friend in the Making
12: First Day Jitters
13: Have You Seen the New Girl
14: So Far so Good
15: Intervention
16: Clear Skies
17: Upsetting the Enemy
18: Playing the Parents
19: Heads Up
20: Perfect Gentleman
21: Mind Games
22: Jakeson in the Flesh
23: A Ramble Worth Erasing
24: From a Distance
25: Have Some Space
26: Nude Conversations
27: Too Close
28: Table Trading
29: A Day With the Guys
30: Booty Call
31: Fatherly Love
32: Plan B
33: Acceptance
34: Green Little Monsters
35: Rich Kids
36: Dripping Wet
37: Phonecall Frustrations
38: Nothing at All
39: Behind Closed Doors
40: Beyond Control
41: Hospital Beds
42: Up and Down
43: Aftershock
44: Beach Blues
45: Getting Wet
46: The Inner Workings
47: Blastoff
48: Knight and his Trusty...Car
49: Grow on Me
50: Civil or Civil War?
51: Liquid as Bitter as Truth
52: Look Inside
53: Confusion in the Calm
54: Forgotten
55: Boys and Their Rivalries
56: Shakedown
57: Retrieval
58: A Taste of Jealousy
59: Father and Son
60: Grease Lightning
61: Relationship Talk
63: Past Regrets
64: Back to the Basics
65: A Slumber Part of Sorts
66: Kisses; Some Sweet Some Sour
67: A Good Time
68: Terrible in the Terrific
69: Stand Off
70: Awkward Moments Never Cease
71: Knowing the Truth
72: Wanting More
73: Forbidden Fruit
74: Admittance
75: Breaking the News
76: Everything to Lose

62: The Little Things

123K 1.4K 68
By JadedRein

To my surprise when I entered the diningroom for lunch Kale was sitting at the table eating already. “Didn’t think you’d be here.” I commented.

Before I could make a move towards the kitchen the maid came out and smiled at me. “Would you like me to get you a plate miss?”

I shook my head and took a seat. “No, just a glass of juice would be fine. Thank you.” Rich people. I thought sourly. I could never get used to having hired help. It just felt wrong making other people do things I was perfectly capable of doing myself.

“Did you just wake up?” Kale asked as he looked up at me from his bowl of soup.

I shook my head. “No, I was doing homework.”

“Explains why your room was so quiet.” I gave him a confused look. Why would he be listening to my room anyways? Creep. As he noticed my face he laughed. “I was going to see if you wanted to go running.” he explained. “But I didn’t want to wake you up.”

“Oh.” I grumbled feeling embarrassed that his reason had been so innocent. Was I really let down that he hadn’t been listning to my room for some other reason? “Don’t you have practice today?”

“It was called off since coach’s wife had her baby this morning.”

A smile crossed my face. Babies were always so adorable. I’d never really had any time around kids but I was sure that one day I’d have one of my own. Raising a little person seemed like such a magical thing. “That’s great.”

Kale noticed the sparkle in my eyes and asked, “Do you like kids?”

“Babies.” I nodded. “Weren’t many kids on the base so I’ve never gotten to be around them for very long.”

“When I finish eating do you want to go running?” he asked and I wondered why it looked like he had some sort of secret plan forming in that head of his.

“Sure, why not.”

“Go up and change. I’ll go get you when I’m done.” he instructed as the maid brought in my glass of juice. I accepted it from her and left the dining room. Normally I wouldn’t have obeyed an order from Kale. This time however I couldn’t seem to stop myself as I drank the juice on the way up to my room. He hadn’t instructed me with his normal air of superiority.

By the time I’d pulled on my clothes and finished my juice the sound of Kale knocking on my door made me gawk at the wood. Kale. Knocking. What is going on here? I wondered as I shook my head and strode across the room to the door. Ever since that kiss he’d been acting differently. I wasn’t sure exactly why. I wasn’t even sure if it was a change for the better. Annoying flirty Kale had been sort of fun.

I opened the door to be greeted with a huge smile from him. No classical Kale smirk, just a normal human being smile. I found myself smiling back ever so slightly. “Are you ready to go?”

I nodded. “Yeah, I’m good.”

With this established we headed down the stairs and he waited patiently as I slipped into my running shoes and tied up the laces. “I was thinking you should let me pick where we go today.”

“Why does it matter?”

We’d become used to running with each other on occasion and had learned our lesson of never going so far that we’d be too tired to make the way back. Last thing we’d need was a repeat of the Mike incident. “We should take turns picking where we go. It’ll make it more interesting.”

I shrugged and gave in. "I guess that would work.”

He smiled triumphantly and opened the front door for me. I gave him a long hard look as I walked past him and outside. What is he playing at? I wondered as we began down the driveway, me a step behind him as he lead. He’s acting like a normal person. No, like a happy normal person. I watched his sturdy back as we pressed on.

Is he going to kill me? I wondered half jokingly. We turned down streets I’d never been on before but I followed faithfully behind him. Or will he get me lost and ditch me?

All around me unfamiliar streets and buildings passed by us. No, Kale wouldn’t do that to me. Would he? My eyes focused on his smooth strong calves as he ran in front of me. With every step they’d tighten and relax. Strong and athletic calves. Perfect, just like the rest of him. I watched them as he slowed down and finally came to a stop. As he said “We’re here.” I raised my eyes up to look at where he’d brought me that sounded so lively.

“A park.” I breathed as I looked around at all of the children playing and the benches ittered with parents as they talked to each other.

He nodded. “Can’t give you a kid so I figured this is the next best thing.” I didn’t answer and I could feel his eyes on me as I looked around at all of the kids as they played with each other so happily. “Well, I guess I could give you a kid..”

I looked over at him as he smirked and nudged me playfully with his shoulder. Normal Kale was still inside then. “Oh ha ha.” I responded but couldn’t help but smile.

“Come on.” he urged and grabbed my hand, pulling me forward into the park. Some kids darted in front of us fighting over a Frisbee and I laughed along with Kale as he looked towards them with the same sparkling eyes as I did. The great Kale liked kids? Now that was highly unexpected. “I’ll push you.” he said as he finally released my hand was we approached the swings.

“Not too high.” I responded with a smile as I climbed onto the plastic swing and gripped onto the ropes. “I haven’t been on one of these since I like five so go easy on me.”

He chuckled and I felt his front press against my back as he grabbed onto the ropes from behind me. “Ten four captian.” he teased before pulling the swing slowly back and releasing it so I moved forwards.

The air played with my hair as he started to push me higher and higher into the air. Does Jakeson like kids? I wondered as I felt Kale’s hands on my back as he gave me another push forwards. Why am I thinking about Jakeson? I asked myself as I went back and noticed Kale wasn’t pushing anymore. I turned to look for him and realized that he’d taken to gently pushing a little girl who was grinning madly.

“I’ll catch you if you fall.” he promised her and I could see the lively glint to his eyes. He looked so happy. Kale didn’t have any siblings either. I realized as I swung myself watching him push her gently. Every time she laughed he would smile and respond to her little comments about her life. He was just as lonely as I was.

My heart panged for a moment and watched him with new eyes. Kale was how he was because he’d always been alone just like I had. We weren’t that different after all. His mom left when he was young and his parents had gotten divorced around the very same time mine had. He’d lived with only his dad in that big house. I hadn’t realized it before but our parents were always gone at one place or another. So he’d been alone while growing up then.

No wonder he is how he is. I thought as I slowed my swinging pace down. He had to get attention in any way he could, girls included. And I couldn’t blame him either. If I’d been left all alone and had everyone fawning over me I would have happily accepted all of their advances as well. I’d want to feel wanted. So he’d adapted his cocky personality to protect himself then, not just for fun.

He’s not so bad after all. I thought softly as I watched his smiling face and smiled along with him. His eyes turned to me and I felt my heartbeat quicken. Oh god. I couldn’t like Kale… could I?  

The Beginning of the Twist - The Futureheads

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.7K 2.9K 83
"Can we stop feeling guilty, Amelia? Guilty for all the things that weren't our fault." "We can Leo. Maybe someday." "That day isn't far off Amelia...
41.6K 765 31
(NOT FULLY EDITED) Madison has dealt with abuse and heart ache her whole life thinking that it was what she deserved. First her parents then her boyf...
1.4K 87 49
Jane just moved to New York City where she meets Luke Williams whom she falls in love with. Things become complicated when their parents get married...
680K 12.1K 42
UNEDITED! "I can't act like I'm not in love with you!" he says at last. Every single drop of confidence fades away from my body. "What did you say?"...