The Howards

By Esmeraldakay

Eleanor Morgan met the Howard boys in high school. What she didn't expect was to fall in love with the both... More

Disclaimer
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24

Chapter 16

4.3K 159 2
By Esmeraldakay

My wedding is in three weeks time. Karina didn't allow me to try on my wedding gown until wedding day itself. She said it's a surprise for Rick and I.

Karina barged into the entertainment room in S.Angel where Rick and Randall are playing pool while I paint. Hands on her hips, she said, "Dream Lake needs revamping,"

"Dream Lake doesn't need a makeover, Rina," Rick said, hitting the white ball into the gutter. Randall laughed, "Oh, wow, nice shot."

Rick groaned as Randall resets the table. Karina huffed, impatient, "I went in Dream Lake just now to grab my things. The couch is peeling off. And, that reminded me that your mattress need to get replaced!"

Rick sighed, "That, I'll have to admit, its true. We need to get the mattress replaced, El." Rick joined me by my area, kissed the top of my head, "What do you say? Shall we get it replaced?"

I nodded, "My back been aching," Rick sends me suggestive look. I smacked his arm, "I haven't been sleeping well,"

Randall pretended he's not listening in, playing with his phone. Karina folded her arms, "Randall, you are following them. Then get your dinner fixed outside. Mum and Tricia went cake tasting."

Randall frowned and looked at Rick and I. I nodded, "Let's go, Randall."

••••

Randall brought us to his regular shop. Rick and Randall are talking to Fred while I look around. I brushed my fingers over a smooth and well-craved dining table.

Rick wrapped his arms around me, "Like this?"

"It's beautiful."

Rick chuckled, "I didn't know you like vintage."

"Everyone loves vintage, Rick. How's the talk?"

"Fred will give us half the price since he knows Randall. And, I helped him to get his shop back once. He will give us free delivery as well."

I turned to Rick, "You didn't tell me about this."

Rick shrugged, "It's an easy one hour case. I got it settled in office."

"That's my man," I smiled at his working capabilities. Rick beamed, raising his head up, demanding a kiss. I kissed him and Randall cleared his throat, "Anything caught your eyes?"

Rick smiled, "Yeah," He looked at me, "It's right here."

I stifled a smile and Randall rolled his eyes, turning away from us and started choosing his own things.

I wrapped my arms around his, "Let's quickly get this done. I'm hungry."

••••

We decided on our favourite restaurant at Harry's Deli. Our food arrived and I saw the cucumbers in my food. I flinched, unknowingly.

Rick raised his eyebrow, "What's wrong babe?"

Randall glanced at me and then down my food, he picked his plate up and exchanged with me. I gave him a grateful smile and he said, "El doesn't like cucumbers."

Rick stiffened beside me, I could almost feel the instant emotion change between the brothers. Rick snorted, "Yeah? I didn't know that,"

Randall turned to his brother, "Now you know,"

Randall made it seems like he is challenging Rick. Feeling threatened, Rick placed his utensils down. "I don't need you to tell me what my fiancée like or dislike, Randall. Draw a fucking damn line," Rick grabbed my hand and left the restaurant.

Randall ran out after us and stopped Rick, "Dude, you can't just get upset over such things. Eleanor hasn't taken her dinner!"

Rick shoved Randall away, "Don't you think you're showing too much concern over her? Stop looking at my fiancée like you used to, Randall. Best friend or not, stay away."

I rubbed my temple. Feeling annoyed by how they are fighting over my dislike of cucumbers. People are starting to gather around.

Randall snapped, "Maverick, I kept my distance. I stayed away from my family. I fucking left. You are the one who called me back,"

"Then stop looking like you're planning to take her away from me," Rick retorted.

I have reached my limit. I pushed the two of them away from each other. "Enough! Just stop!"

I ran off before my tears could escape. I heard Rick shouting for me.

••••

I feel so humiliated. I feel so stupid for crying over things like this. Rick has been sensitive after Randall came home. He tried to hide that the fact that he is feeling insecure.

Why did things get so complicated?

Why can't I just fall in love with one person?

I just kept running, allowing myself to let out all my emotions. I ran past Dream Lake, went right to the end of the lake.

I hate Randall for pointing out the little things. I hate Rick for calling his brother out. I hate that no matter where I go, who I ended up with, both of them will still stay in my heart. I hate that I have to make a choice. I hate that everything I built to shut Randall away, crumbles when he shows up.

I finally allow myself to stop and let my thoughts run wild. I'm getting married in three weeks' and here I am crying my eyes out because I failed to protect my heart. I don't know how long I sat there crying. My eyes were swollen. I feel hungry and exhausted. I took my phone out but it ran out of battery.

I sighed, glancing up the moon and stars. That's when I heard movements in the woods. I stopped breathing and remembered Randall telling me that there are lots of wild life in the woods.

They like to drink by the lake.

Oh shit.

When I was about make my way back, Rick appeared beside me and said in my ears, "Shh. It's Diana,"

When Rick said Diana, I let my guard down. I know Diana won't hurt anyone. I am finally meeting Diana. I looked around to find the most beautiful thing in my whole life. Diana stood there in her four legs, her green eyes are so striking in the dark.

She tilted her head and stared right at Rick, purring.

Rick smiled in the dark, "She knows,"

"She's beautiful." I whispered. Rick leaned his chin on my head, "Yeah, she is. She is old and beautiful. She stayed here and guarded us for so many years. She is just like my guardian angel."

Diana began approaching us. Rick tensed, "Don't move, El. She might think you are a threat."

He looked right into Diana's beautiful eyes, "Thank you for watching her." Rick reaching his hand out to Diana.

Diana continued purring, brushing her body against Rick's hand. It's amazing.

Rick squeezed my hand, "It's okay babe. Look, she loves me. Just walk into the woods will you? Randall is waiting,"

I shook my head, "I want to stay."

Diana let Rick touch her face and then her head. Diana purred satisfyingly in Rick's hand like she found her long lost friend.

Rick smiled, "Go on, El. I will be fine. Go,"

Before I could protest, Randall pulled me and stepped into the woods. Rick is now leaning on Diana and talking into her ears. Diana flicked her ears as if she understood whatever Rick's telling her.

This is just not possible. How can a wild life bond with a human?

Randall tightened his grip around me, "It's okay. Rick had done this before. Diana enjoys Rick's company."

I watched Rick interacting with the beautiful cat. Rick is smiling, stroking the back of Diana like his own cat. When Rick stood up slowly, Diana purred.  Rick sighed, "I will be back, Diana. Be good. Thanks for watching her okay?"

Diana glanced at us and then back at Rick like she know who is Rick talking about. Diana purred again, brushing against Rick's leg and then disappear back into the woods.

Rick came back to me and saw Randall's hands on me, "I got her. You can let go."

Randall hesitated for a while, struggling with himself before he let go of me.

I went straight into Rick's arms, "She's so beautiful!"

Rick sighed in relief, "I'm sorry, El. We shouldn't be fighting over childish things in public. I love you, babe."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

253K 7.2K 20
Before I knew it my shirt was torn away from my torso and tossed on the floor, Charlie's doing the same. Our kiss intensified and I felt him groan ag...
383K 22.9K 62
Zachariel Joseph's heart shattered when the man that he had loved for ten years betrayed him. His lover took everything that he loved away from him...
6.6K 215 12
"Aaron..." She giggled as I ran my nose down along the side of her neck. That's my favourite sound...her laugh. "I'm trying to study, if I don't st...
164K 2.9K 29
"Hey! Wait a second." The unidentified guy said. "Um, hi?" I asked confused. Little did I know that this was a summer I would never forget... ~~~ Emi...