Damsel in Distress

By YourAverageNerd_

"It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's just some idiot in spandex." Arabella Jones is your average American tee... More

Damsel in Distress
Chapter 1 - Getting saved by Superman
Chapter 2 - My own personal stalker
Chapter 3 - I'm not a Damsel in Distress
Chapter 4 - Frolicking with a superdork
Chapter 5 - My First Bad Review
Chapter 6 - A Cast List Steals my Soul
Chapter 7 - A Twister ruins my day
Chapter 8 - Gaston finally gets his Belle
Chapter Nine - Super Day won't be so super
Chapter 10 - A date with the hottest guy in school
Chapter 11 - Fools and blabering celebrities
Chapter 13 - The Origin story
Chapter 14 - The smartest girl I knew
Chapter 15 - The not so great day
Chapter 16 - The Marvelous Marvel
Chapter 17 - Dead Man's Cliff
Chapter 18 - The show goes on
Chapter 19 - PF-08
Chapter 20 - M.A.S.K.E.D.
Chapter 21 - Tying up lose ends
Sequel!

Chapter 12 - Riding the Ferris wheel of death

20.7K 1.2K 834
By YourAverageNerd_

            Right below us a scene of utter terror unfolded. Of course it had to be the only day I ever went to the Super day festival that something bad happened at it.

            I watched as Tornado flew in from behind us, landing gracefully next to The Marvel on stage.

            His super suit was different from the supers that had preceded him. Instead of his whole face covered, only the top half of his face was hidden by his mask, revealing a sharp jaw line and sparkling white teeth that were visible even from my height. He sported a dark violet suit with black boots, gloves, mask, and belt and a black tornado on his chest.

            I had to admit, the super had everyone dumbstruck. He was  so graceful with his moves and he didn't even back down from one of the best supers of our time. And yes, I just called The Marvel one of the best supers in our time, get over it.

            "Why hello old friend," Tornado greeted The Marvel.

            Tornado's voice lifted all the way to where me and Lacey were still stuck in the Ferris wheel. It seemed that the ride had stopped completely. Everyone's gaze was completely fixed on the two most powerful people in the city.

            "Tornado, leave this place now, or you'll regret it." The Marvel warned.

            I felt like we were all in an old west movie and this was the point where we all hide in our shacks and watch through peep holes at the faceoff between the good guy and the bad guy in the middle of the street.

            "That's too bad," Tornado pouted, "I was hoping we could do this the hard way."

            "What? No one ever-"

            Before our very eyes, Tornado pushes The Marvel off the stage with a huge gust of wind. The Marvel crashes into the nearest building, the pharmacy, causing bricks to fall making a gigantic crater in the foundation of the pharmacy. Broken pieces of brick crumbled to the ground. A thick cloud of dust rose and clouded the sky as the structure groaned and, as if it were made of twigs, collapsed.

            Tornado smiled with an expression that suggests that he wasn't all that sane in the head, and walked towards the crater.

            And that was when the panic started to set in.

            People started running in every direction, trying to get away from the now raging battle on main street. Kids were crying and mothers were screaming in terror. People were tripping over each other to get out of the way of the debris.

            And then there were the ones who were stuck on the Ferris wheel. The ones who were closer to the ground just jumped off, or attempted to climb down, but the rest of us were stuck. Lacey and I watched the fight, hoping that it wouldn't come this way. But of course, when had anything ever gone the way I needed it to.

            Back in the battle, The Marvel had recovered and was currently levitating a huge piece of the building above the air, which seemed to have protected a few citizens from most of the rubble. He then set that huge chunk of the pharmacy flying towards Tornado.

            Tornado dodged the chunk of building and rushed at The Marvel, surrounding himself in a tornado. It was the strangest and scariest sight I've ever seen, and I've seen Lacey's Marvel fan fiction. Tornado flew in the eye of his tornado while the dust and debris flew around him, caught in the strong gusts of the powerful wind. And from this height, I was afraid the wind would knock me, and the rest of the riders, off of the Ferris wheel.

            All of a sudden, Tornado stopped charging at The Marvel. He instead headed in the opposite direction, towards the Ferris wheel.

            Now you can imagine the thoughts going through my head. But mostly the only things I could think of was if I died today, who would take my place in the musical and if Archer would miss me.

            Yeah, not the thoughts that should be going through the mind of a girl who was most likely about to die a horrible death at the hands of a super villain.

            Tornado reached the Ferris wheel, still surrounded by his tornado of protection. I was glad that the people in the lower levels of the Ferris wheel had been able to get out, otherwise they'd have been blown away by The Tornado's powerful abilities, literally.

            "Get away from the Ferris wheel, Tornado!" The Marvel shouted at Tornado from fifty feet away.

            "Oh silly Marvel," Tornado taunted, "Don't you know that you'll either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain?"

            The Marvel took a step closer, "No more riddles or games, Tornado. This ends here. Step away from the Ferris wheel and let the authorities take you in. You can't win."

            "On the contrary, Marvel," He states in a tone of voice that suggested that he wasn't totally sane, "I've discovered that all heroes have the same weakness."

            At this I looked down again and saw him directing the wind underneath the  Ferris wheel. What was he doing? The Marvel must have noticed at the same time that I did, because he moved his hand and a block of rubble was suddenly floating threateningly next to him.

            "Tornado-"

            "You heroes would rather save the innocent civilians than defeat the villains."

            At this he increases the intensity of his tornado and I feel the ride start to rock forward. I hear the screams and it kicks in, he's literally making this ride into a wheel.

            The last thing I remember seeing was the ground rushing up to me as my vision turned black.

:The Marvel:

            At first I didn't understand what Tornado was doing. Why would he be standing next to the Ferris wheel? But then it hit me, he said my weakness was saving the civilians over capturing the villain, I knew exactly what he was planning to do.

            I threw the piece of rubble in his direction and headed to the Ferris wheel, I couldn't let anymore people get hurt over this. Arabella was on that Ferris wheel, and I couldn't add her name to the long list of people that I couldn't save.

            I stopped in front of the Ferris wheel and put my arms out in front of me, preparing to do the impossible. I used my mind and imagined the wheel stopping. I was immediately met with the complete force of the wheel trying to go towards me. I felt the beads of sweat on my face as I struggled to stop the Ferris wheel from turning.

            That was one of the downfalls of telekinesis, I felt almost the full weight or force of whatever I was trying to stop or move, including the Ferris wheel.

            I cried out in frustration and finally the wheel stopped turning. I quickly moved more rubble to the bottom of the Ferris wheel with the last of my energy, stopping the wheel from tipping over. I sank to my knees and breathed heavily. I had done it. I had yet again saved the people I cared about.

            I turned around and saw the ambulance coming in this direction, a little too late if you ask me, but it was here all the same.

            I looked both ways and took off into the air, my job here was done. I didn't need to stay and make sure that Arabella or her friends were okay, I could do that tomorrow  in school with them.

            In the mean time, I had a particularly stubborn super to take care of.

            I flew to the one place I could think of where an evil super villain might spend his afternoons, Stonewall.

            Stonewall was the most rundown neighborhood in Empire City, and one of the largest. A lot of the crime that was committed in this city happened there, so I made frequent appearances. After I started to show up and save the day, the crime rates went down in Stonewall. But if you wanted to find any sort of bad guy, your best bet was to start there. The neighborhood had everything from pickpockets to crime lords.

            I landed on top of Carlton Laboratories, owned by Carlton Incorporated, in a crouch. It was owned by a friend of mine's family, and he was still the only person to know my secret identity. Too bad he was currently missing and presumed dead for the past two and a half years. Chase Carlton might have looked like a snobby brat, but underneath it all, he's one of the nicest people you'd meet.

            I rose from my crouch and looked out into Stonewall, hoping to find some sort of sign that there was an evil mastermind currently hiding out here.

            After two minutes of mindless staring, I gave up. He obviously wouldn't be hiding out in the open. To really search for him would require going door to door in a neighborhood full of some of the meanest people in the city, not happening. Besides, it would take days to search every residence in Stonewall.

            "Gave up on finding your Waldo, Marvel?"

            I turned, and what do you know? It's mister purple tights himself.

            "Tornado, how did you find me?"

            "Well," He said thoughtfully, "considering it's not that hard to follow the path of a red caped superhero in a clear sky, pretty easily." God this guy was getting on my last nerves.

            "What do you want from me? You seem pretty persistent to get rid of me, or at least cause as much havoc as possible in my city."

            "Oh, I see," he taunted, "It's your city, now is it? I was really hoping that it could be mine. What do I have to do, save its sister city from a corrupted Super like you did?" Considering that was exactly what I did, no.

            "Tornado, whatever your plans are, just know that it's under my protection." I threaten him.

            "Oh, too bad. It won't be that much of a challenge to take it over, now will it?"

            Now this guy was really getting on my nerves. "Tornado," I say with an even more threatening tone.

            "Oh, don't worry mister red and yellow spandex, I'm not commencing my evil plan just yet. I'll give you some time before that happens. I actually came to warn you."

            At that, he controls the wind and sets a pile of scrap metal flying in my direction. I'm able to doge most of it, except for a particularly sharp piece that cuts deeply into the top of my hand. I scream out and hold my hand to stop the bleeding. Man, this stain is goanna be really hard to get out of my super suit.

            "Stay away from my plans, and maybe I'll stay away from your 'events'" He tells me in a more serious tone. I look up only to see that he had disappeared.

            Great.

            Just great.

            I'm left to the task of my damaged super suit and hand, the later which will be able to heal quickly. I curse silently to myself and take off. There was one more place to be before I could call it a day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

102K 4.1K 64
"I've been looking for you." There was an unexpected rasp to his voice, a hint of desperation. He stretched out one hand, as if to brush it across my...
481K 30.5K 66
Seventeen-year-old Coal Black takes being the bad boy to a whole new level. A super level. Known as the city's terrifying super villain, Headphones...
160K 10.8K 39
"Who are you?" the supervillain asks. His breathless voice is surprisingly soft. I slam my hands on either side of him, leaning in so close my nose...
8.7K 598 32
My name is Violet Devereux and I am a superhero. Okay, not technically a superhero because I can't fly, or shoot lasers from my eyes. I am a perfectl...