13 WISHES

By Kizzy_Dev

{PUBLISHED ON WEBNOVEL AS A PAID STORY} "... ah! Ah!... help me! some body!...let! me! Go!". ************ "U... More

Prologue
Meet Katherine
Meet Dave
Katherine
CAST
Get to know each other
Know More
Secrets are best unspoken
Three's a Crowd
Beach Day
The Pact
She is not my girlfriend
The Kidnapping - Prt 1
The Kidnapping - Prt 2
Rescue and Escape
The Calm After The Storm
Welcome
Home where the sun shines
I care so much it hurts
Healing Hugs
Changing
Cold Games
Tremors of the Heart
Win Some To Lose Some
The King's Queen
Suicide and Dramas
The birthday Party
Truth or Dare
Hurt
Falling into Temptation
Imprinted in my Heart
Passionate Rage
Leaving...but not without drama
Two Months Later
What destiny unites, life divides
The Truth
Cruel Truth
THE END
Q/A
HEAVEN ARC: 13 Reasons Why
HEAVEN ARC: Rebirth
SPEECHLESS
My Webcomic

Just a dream

249 54 0
By Kizzy_Dev

She was my oxygen, now its hard to breathe.

•|•|•|•|•

“I’m sorry Dave!” He heard her yell sadly.

“What are you waiting for?!” he said pained, “Go away! Leave like you always do, but don’t come back. I don’t want to see your face”.

“You will be happy without me Dave” Kath said sadly, “goodbye…forever.

“No, Kath come back” Dave muttered in his sleep, “I’m sorry, please don’t leave. I love you”.

“it's too late” he heard a voice tell him. It was Kath. “No, it’s not” he mumbled, “what are you saying? Don’t go Kath, I’m coming, we will be together, I promise”.

“it’s too late” she repeated again and Dave shot up from the bed. “No” he found himself saying. He panted heavily and was drenched in sweat. He stared at the wall in front of him trying to calm his rapidly beating heart.

“It was a dream, just a dream” Dave realized and repeated but he was still feeling uneasy. He said a short prayer and laid on the bed. He tried to fall asleep but the dream had really scared him. He managed to fall asleep later.

The next day, Dave is bringing out a bag with him. His mom and Sam are following him. “Take care of yourself” Sam said, “you and Ayo. Make sure I talk to Kath when you are done, I will like to hear from that little firecracker”.

Dave’s POV.

I smiled, “okay”. I put the bag in Ayo’s car. We had decided to take Ayo’s car to save money. “You look upset, is something wrong?” Sam asked once we were out of mom’s earshot. Ayo leaned by the side listening to us.

“I just had a bad dream, it was about Kath” I admitted worriedly, “I don’t remember much but, it didn’t feel good at all”.

“Calm down dude, it’s just your mind playing tricks on you” Ayo said relaxed, “you have been thinking about her for days, it’s normal. We will get to Lagos soon and see her, then all your dreams will stop”.

I gave a small smile and closed the car boot. Ayo and I entered the car and waved goodbye to mom and Sam. Ayo drove away and the journey began. I opened my backpack that was in front of me and brought out a key. It was the same key Kath gave me for the time capsule thing. I am sure I can use it to enter the house.

I already had Kath’s house address with me so all these was easy. During the journey, I slept, ate, Ayo and I took turns driving and finally, we arrived in Lagos.

“Finally here” Ayo said in relief. He stretched his limbs all over. I felt relieved as well. I was close to Kath. I felt impatient and expectant. I couldn’t wait to see her.

“You know her house right” Ayo suddenly asked. To think he was only remembering such an important detail now.

“Yes Ayo” I answered dryly. As I drove, I realized something, I had never told Ayo the truth about Kath’s background. I guess it’s now or never. “There is something I have to tell you before we see Kath but don't freak out” I said.

Ayo frowned at me, “what news could make me freak out?”.

I took a deep breath and answered, “Kath is Don Okafor's daughter”.

Ayo stared at me registering those words then his eyes widened slowly. “Whaaat?! That’s a joke right?” he asked in disbelief.

“Nope” I shook my head, “it’s the truth”. I began explaining to him how it all happened and Ayo was shocked. To say he was mind blown wasn’t wrong either.

“What the heck?! Kath is Don Okafor's daughter and you didn't think to let me know” Ayo exclaimed still shocked.

“One, Kath didn't want  even me to know, I found out when my life was in danger. Two, I didn’t want to tell you because I didn’t want you hurt-you might not be as lucky as me to escape-Three, i thought she would be out of our lives soon but...I love her” I sighed.

“And will you be able to endure that life? The life of the underworld?” Ayo asked concerned.

I looked at him seriously, “anything for Kath”. He said nothing.

•|•|•

We drove into the estate Don Okafor lived in. It was in Kath’s written address. It was very quiet and the only thing you could see were trees and few buildings and hear was the sound of birds chirping.  Kath’s house was deep inside.

“No wonder Kath ran away” Ayo joked despite feeling nervous. I gripped the steering wheel in anticipation, I was close to Kath. I finally arrived in Kath’s house and it was more like a mansion painted white  mansion painted white. The gate was guarded by two hefty guards holding guns.

“They won't kill us right?” Ayo asked, his nervousness finally showing.

“No” I said, getting out of the car, “hopefully” . I muttered the last part and bucked up my courage to face them. He stopped in front of the men and they eyed him hostilely, holding the guns in readiness.

“Where do you think you're going?” a guard asked.

I gulped and answered. “I came to see Katherine” I said, “my name is Dave Uwem”. The guards turned to each other with a strange look. One of them eyed me then repeated, “you are Dave Uwem?”.

“Yes” I answered feeling hopeful, we were getting somewhere. I quickly brought out the key Kath gave me. I held it in front of them, “Kath gave me this key”.

The guards looked at it then nodded. They stepped aside and one of them spoke into a walkie talkie. I entered the car and Ayo stared at me. “How are we?” He asked tensely.

“We are going in” I smiled. Ayo looked at me in disbelief but pumped his fist excitedly. “yeah!” He cheered, “I hope I see Eliza too, I won’t need Kath’s help anymore to go out with her”. I just looked at him and chuckled. I drove in as soon as the gates opened. The other guard came to check the car.

“Who is this?” He asked.

“Ayo, He is my friend. He means no harm” i assured them. He eyed a frozen Ayo and nodded. When the guard left, Ayo unfroze. He took a deep breath, “God, that was scary. I could smell the lives he had claimed”.

We drove in and met no one inside. “Where is everyone?” I asked confused. Ayo was confused as well. The house door was closed and I doubt I could walk in on Don Okafor like that. While we were search in, someone approached us, “Dave”.

“Chris?” I walked to him, “where is everyone?”.

“Come with me, I’ll show you” He said with a tinge of sympathy and I was confused why did he sound so…weird? I also noticed he was dressed in a white suit. It was odd but I said nothing. I gestured for Ayo to follow us.

We walked to the backyard. “Where are we going?” I asked. “I want to see Kath, where is she?”.

“You will soon” Chris quietly mumbled and we arrived at the backyard who was filled with people and they were all wearing white. Ayo and I stared at everyone puzzled. Ayo whispered, “why are there so many people here and why are they wearing white?”.

“I don’t know” I whispered back. I looked around while walking slowly. Ayo was right behind me and people stared at us as we passed them. I saw something in the front and I had a bad feeling. This felt like the bad dream I had. I saw someone at the front, it was Don Okafor in flesh. I just knew it was him.

A women was holding on to him and sobbing uncontrollably. I also saw a young woman next to him, she looked familiar but I couldn’t remember where. Ayo tapped me from behind and pointed to the left.  “Look, it’s Liz” he said and I turned. It was Liz and she was crying, I had never seen her cry.

“This feels like a funeral” Ayo realized. We exchanged looks. If it was a funeral, whose funeral was it? I went in front and saw a white coffin with Kath inside. Her eyes were closed and she was wearing a white gown. She was even wearing the necklace I gave her. She looked so lifeless.

I staggered back in shock and turned to Don Okafor. Chris stared at me sadly. “What is this?! What’s going on?!” I yelled but no one paid any attention to me. “W-Why is Kath…”. This can’t be happening, no.

I glared at them, “this is not funny so stop!”. No one responded, even Ayo, he just stared in shock. I let out a frustrated grunt and began to rip away the white flowers on the coffin.

“Hey! stop that!” they yelled and came for me but I ignored them. What is this nonsense they are doing. Kath, if this is a joke you better stop it, it’s not funny. I held Kath’s hand and they were so close. I refused to believe she was gone. “Wake up Kath! Don’t let me cause a scene!” I yelled, trying to shrug off the hands pulling me away. I held her head up and shook her face, “Wake up Kath! I am here! Don’t pretend to get me to be unmad at you, this is not funny” my attempts to be funny turned into desperation, “wake up Kath! Katherine! Get up!”.

Kath stayed completely still, not responding to my calls.

I felt tears prick the corner of my eyes but I shook them off. Kath isn’t dead, she can’t be. I haven’t even told her how much I appreciate her coming into my life, how much she means to me, I never even got to tell her I love her.

🎶 Somebody told me you were leavin'

I didn't know.

Somebody told me you're unhappy

But it doesn't show. 🎶

The men’s grip on me loosened once they felt me let go of Kath’s body. My head dropped and the tears fell freely from my eyes. Kath couldn’t be…no, this isn’t fair, This can’t be happening. Come back! Come back to me! I swear I won’t complain, I won’t fight with you, just come back!

🎶 Nobody told me you've crying every night.

Nobody told me you'd been dying

But didn't want to fight.🎶

I looked up and shook Kath’s lifeless body. “Wake up Katherine! Don’t do this to me!” I yelled desperately, “wake up! Wake up!”.

“Stop him” I heard Don Okafor say.

“Dave, stop” I heard Ayo force out. He sounded heart broken too.

“it’s not fair Katherine! You can’t keep on running away” I sobbed and banged my head on the coffin. I banged it harder and I felt a harsh pain but I continued. I couldn’t do anything, I was in cross river going on dates and Kath died right then.

🎶 We are met

But not destined.

This world is playful.

Times that won't come back. 🎶

I felt something drip on my face and my forehead sting. “Shit, he is bleeding” someone said surprised. 

“get him out of here!” Don Okafor roared angrily. A stronger force began to pull me from Kath but I refused. “No!” I shook my head, “no! I won’t leave! Go away from me”.

“Be careful” he heard a soft voice say. It wasn’t Liz, it was the young woman next to Don Okafor. They managed to pull me away and I stared at Kath’s coffin which grew smaller and smaller in my sight. I couldn’t help but remember every moment we spent together and I cried more. Please let this be a dream, please.

🎶 Met,

But not destined.

Our heart is not to each other.

Can't bring back our old bonding.

The sweetness of your kiss will no longer be felt.

How will I live suffering from your memories? 🎶

•|•|•

I sat on the stairs leading inside in disbelief. Ayo, Chris and Liz were with me. I shook my head, “I know that was a joke. Tell Kath to stop pretending. I know she is a coward but let her know we are still friends”.

Ayo and Chris stared at me worried. “Dave, Kath is dead” Ayo said softly.

I stopped him. “Don’t say that. Kath isn’t dead, how could say such a word. Liz, get Kath here now, she is forgiven, just tell her to stop her pretense” I glared at Ayo. Liz stared at me sadly and burst into tears.

“Do you think he has gone mad?” Chris whispered to Ayo and Liz. Ayo looked horrified at the thought. He placed his hands on my shoulders and shook me vehemently. “Get a grip on yourself Dave! Kath is no more! Please stop doing this to yourself” he said sadly.

I pushed him back hard and glared at him. “Don’t say that! Kath isn’t dead! She is just being a coward like always!” I yelled pained, “she always does this, she runs to hide the truth. This is just one of her stunts. Kath will wake up, she has to–“.

A hard slap on my face knocked me to numbness. Ayo and the rest flinched on seeing the slap. A hard weight on my shoulders shook me slightly.

“Katherine is dead boy” Don Okafor’s baritone voice said with finality and grief, “my Katherine is dead, my princess is dead and she is not coming back. Get it through your thick skull”. I froze in shock as those words sank in. I began to sob. I hung my head dejected. Kath….why did you…

“What happened to her?” I asked, not looking at any of them.

“She never told you before but she was dying. She was diagnosed with hypertensive heart disease” Don Okafor answered sadly and I stared at him in shock.

“What…?” my voice was hoarse, “all those times…”. I remembered when Kath said she wanted to donate to children with medical problems and when the doctor told us her blood pressure was high. “She was having health issues?” I repeated in disbelief.

Don Okafor nodded and soon we were seated on chairs outside. Ayo, Liz and Chris stayed in hearing range of our conversation.

“Katherine was diagnosed, she was born with hypertensive heart disease also known in Japan as ‘kokuhaku’ disease” Don Okafor explained, “This disease is rare. What it does is that, from birth, the child’s heart beat is decided, when it would stop”.

“When we discovered, we tried to limit Kath’s movement to control her lifespan but Kath was always a free spirit” Don Okafor had a sad smile, “she loved to dance, she was very cheerful, enthusiastic, she was a happy child. I felt so terrible stopping her from doing the things she loved. Maybe I was being selfish that I wanted her to be with me forever”.

He continued, “As a result to protect her, I kept her hidden indoors. She had only left once with my brother before his death and she was fascinated by the outside world. Then, Katherine ran away and met you and things happened”.

“Why didn't she tell me?” I said in a strained voice.

“Why would she? She just met you” Don Okafor said cynically, “she got to know you and cared for you but I doubt she would have wanted to make you worry”.

I sniffed. “She had her funeral planned out...you don't know how much it hurt me to see my daughter plan her funeral service" Don Okafor said sadly and looked at the back yard.

“we are going to lower the casket. You can come see her one last time” He said but I looked away. He got up and left. I stayed there in silence. I can’t have lost Kath, please, no.

Ayo, Chris and Liz went to watch the funeral. I couldn’t. I couldn’t watch Kath go down. She didn’t deserve to die. I sobbed in helplessness.

Later, Chris and Don Okafor came to me. “Chris will take you to Kath’s room. I feel you need her presence” he said and left.

Chris helped me up and walked me inside the mansion. He brought me to a room on the second floor. It was all white. Everything. “She really loved the color white” Chris muttered sadly and looked at me. “I will leave you alone for a bit”.

He shut the door on his way out and I stared around sadly. I couldn’t help the tears that fell from my eyes. I dropped on the bed and sobbed loudly. I gripped the sheets in anguish.

“No! Kath! You always do this!” I yelled in pain, “why?! Why must you always run away?! You could have told me, I would have done anything for you to live. You didn’t even let me tell you how much I love you”.

I fell on the floor and sobbed. I stared at myself in the mirror angrily. “This is all your fault!” I yelled at myself, “why didn’t you stop her?! Why did you let her go?!”.

I banged my fist on the wall hard and hit my head on the wall repeatedly. “Why?! Why?! Why?! Why is this happening to me?” I sobbed, feeling my consciousness fade. My head was throbbing and bleeding. I slid slowly to the floor, letting my pain take me away.
_____________________________________________________

Yes, Katherine died. Are you guys shocked? This might not be a surprise to re-readers. This was my initial plan. I will reveal more of what I planned in the next chapter. Don't be mad, tragic love stories are the best. Just keep on reading because I will pass an information across to you soon.

The song or poem, I don't know is something I got from a Facebook group called 'lyrics[all songs]'. I don't really watch music videos or know many real romantic songs. I just added two different songs together because it suited the mood.

The credits go to the group, the people who uploaded the lyrics and the musicians. The last line was added by me.

Don't forget to VOTE, COMMENT and SHARE.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5K 1.3K 45
Judith's life takes a sudden turn during her SS1 days, when her dad died from a ghastly road accident.. which dashes her hope of being a professional...
310K 14.5K 72
[Completed] "In a twisted way, I guess I'm glad I fucked up so many times in my life. They always said I'd get my Karma and that led me to you, baby...
5.9K 1.8K 29
Ewww!" He spat. "Me? Like you? I'd rather date a horse than date an ugly thing like you!" He seethed before forcefully pushing her on the floor, she...
31.5K 4.5K 36
"Nimi, a frustrated church girl, encounters her biggest temptation yet when she lands herself in the arms of Lagos' most eligible bachelor..." Nimi i...