Aftermath || Robert Baratheon

Par Krazy_Kupid

they married for duty. they ruled for the realm. they fought for justice. but they healed for each other. A s... Plus

Epigraph
Prologue
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Epilogue

Chapter XVII

16.9K 604 25
Par Krazy_Kupid

XVII. Desperate Dealings

With the wedding the next day, the people of the court were in a state of frenzy. All of them hurrying to prepare for the feasts and the ceremony.

Gowns being rushed to be finished, goblets and plates being washed, food being prepared, wine being delivered. It truly was to be the celebration of the century.

Livia's newly appointed ladies were preparing her maiden's cloak, the cloak she was supposed to remove during the ceremony and have replaced by the cloak containing the Baratheon sigil.

Livia Baratheon. A Baratheon? Her?

Of all the people, Robert Baratheon? The gods truly enjoyed playing their tricks.

Of course, she could always choose to stay a Lannister but would that be suitable for the realm? A war had just ended. If she were to choose not to be a united front with her husband, there could be some doubts.

From that morning, she had done nothing but try on countless pieces of jewelry, her gown, and her hair in many different styles.

"Milady, would you prefer to have the pearls stringed through your hair or the diadem instead?" One of her ladies asked

Livia crinkled her nose at that. "Do you not think those are too much?"

"Nothing is too much for you, milady. You are to be queen. Unless you think it is too much." The girl answered.

"I'd prefer not to have the pearls or the diadem. Thank you." Livia said, smiling.

"Of course, milady. And your maiden's cloak?" Another of her ladies replied.

"Yes, it is perfect. You've all done well. You have all made sure I am ready enough to get married today." Livia joked, earning soft giggles from them. "Now, if you will all excuse me, I shall be taking a walk, to get some air, alone."

Truly, the only reason she wanted to leave was that the room was beginning to become stuffy for her. All the preparations had been too much, too overwhelming and she needed to escape.

At least for a short while.

"But Livia, what abo-" Cersei protested, raising her voice.

"I'm sure it will all work out tomorrow. Do not worry so much." Livia called out, leaving the chamber and taking a deep breath.

Walking to no particular location, she was free to think without anyone's eyes on her.

Queen? Gods save her, how could she be a queen?

"May you never know the weight of a queen's crown upon your head."

Livia could not help but think of the words Queen Rhaella uttered to her once before. It seems she is to know its weight after all.

Perhaps this was her punishment. The penance for all her sins.

She could not understand why people fought for the crown. You gain power, yes but you have to constantly watch your back. Traitors will conspire everywhere and despite gaining power and a title, you would be at your most vulnerable.

It was confusing, really. Why would you want to be a powerful person yet not have the power to defend everyone you hold dear? Not only that but you could be replaceable. The end of the Targaryens proved that.

Now, the dragon is dead while the stag rules over all, and a lion will be his queen.

Her thoughts were suddenly interrupted, halting her in her steps when an amused voice spoke up.

"Well, well, shouldn't you be fitting your wedding attire?"

°•°•°•°•°•°

"My king, which would you prefer?" The man making his wedding attire raised two pieces of cloth. "This one or this one?"

Robert looked to see almost two identical pieces, both very gold, both very regal. They both made him look like a golden peacock.

"Just pick whatever," Robert grumbled, his patience wearing thin.

He had been trying on different things and when he finally found something almost suitable, at that exact moment he had been drinking, he spilled the red wine. All over the tunic.

"You must decide on which is best. You are the ki-" Jon started to say, his annoyance already going over the roof.

"I am the king? I know, as you always tend to remind me." Robert exclaimed, stepping off the small podium in front of the mirror.

Robert was sure that everyone in the room was already irritated by him, by his constant outbursts and his wine drinking. Jon was about done with him and the man making his tunic was the same.

He could not help it though. He could not pretend for all their sakes that he wanted to get married the next day.

"Very well, that one." Robert finally sighed, giving in and pointing to the black and gold cloth. "Are we done now?"

Jon closed his eyes and let out an exasperated breath. Sometimes it was just so fun for Robert to annoy him that he almost laughed out loud. "Very well, I think we are done anyway."

Robert grabbed a goblet, downed it, and raised it in Jon's direction. "Cheers, I shall see you tomorrow."

Leaving the chamber, he had been planning on going outside, perhaps to look at the pretty ladies walking in the garden. However, when he tried to go outside, the Kingsguard moved to follow him.

He had forgotten about them. "You may stay here, I'm not planning to go far, just down that hallway."

Robert did not wait for their reply and walked down the hallway in the opposite direction of the garden. Maybe he would find a pretty maiden inside instead.

It seems he was lucky or unlucky, maybe, when he spotted a familiar golden-haired maiden, seemingly out of nowhere.

Livia Lannister, who seems to be stuck in her thoughts that she did not notice him approaching.

He had been avoiding her ever since he heard the news that Lord Tywin agreed to their match.

Was it shame? Or regret? Anger? Nevertheless, he could not avoid her forever, especially when they are to be wed the next day.

When she became near enough, Robert decided to speak. "Well, well, shouldn't you be fitting your wedding attire?"

°•°•°•°•°•°

Livia looked forward with a start to see none other than Robert Baratheon. Alone.

Of all the people to see, it had to be him? She was quite sure that he had been avoiding her and she could not deny for she had done so as well.

Who would want to see the man she had slapped and then later find out she is to be married to him?

Realizing how much the silence had stretched on, Livia answered indifferently. "I am already finished doing so. And you?"

"Finished with time to spare," Robert remarked confidently. "It seems all that's left is for me to marry you."

She found herself laughing. "Really? As if that's something to look forward to?"

He wagged his eyebrows as if they were sharing in a jest. "Don't worry. I promise to make our marriage more than comfortable. Or at least the wedding night."

"You disgust me, you arrogant, sel-" She started only for him to pull her into the nearest room, which was a chamber of some sort, and shut the door.

"Please, none of that. We are to be married. Call me Robert, my darling Livia." He remarked, amused at the girl.

"If you think I'm going to just-"

"Why do you hate me so much?"

Livia let out a bitter laugh. "Because you are cruel and barbaric."

Robert replied. "Is this because of what I said about the...Targaryen children?"

She glared at him, tears glistening in her eyes. "I loved those children. I read them stories, I taught them songs. They were innocent apart from the blood running through their veins."

"I didn't kill them. I never commanded it." He turned serious. "But whatever I said to offend you,  I hope you know I did not mean to do so."

His apologies were something very surprising for her that instead of acknowledging it, she forced out another truth.

Knowing that there was no one around to hear, she voiced out her thoughts, forcing anger to come out instead of the helplessness she felt. "If I didn't have to do this, know that I would not marry you."

Robert drew back, his eyes questioning. "Yes, as you told me that day and yet you will marry me. Every girl wants to be a queen. What makes it so unappealing to you?"

Livia turned away from him as if she could not bear to say it. "I do not wish to be seen as nothing more than a maker of heirs. I do not wish to be seen as a target. I do not wish to bear the realm upon my shoulders."

He was surprised to hear those things, after all, it wasn't as different as his own thoughts. "Then why do this then? If you do not wish it, why marry me? Surely your father wo-"

"My father has dreamed of this ever since I was a child. He believes that I would be something more. All my life, he has taught me nothing but family and loyalty, and if I defy him now...I don't wish to defy him." Livia interrupts, her tone forlorn.

"What do you want?" Robert quickly added. "If not to be queen?"

She replied, finally turning around to face him. "I wish to be happy."

"To be free?" He found himself asking, curious to hear what she had to say.

"I do not know if freedom would give me happiness. I've never had it." She asked, curious about what he wanted now that he knew what she wanted. "And you? What is it you want?"

"I'm sure you already know the answer to that question." He said, his heartbroken voice making it as clear as day.

The one thing he wanted, the one thing he started a war for. Lyanna Stark. But she is gone and Livia is to take her place.

She is not nor will she ever be Lyanna for him. She'd make sure he knew it.

Livia cleared her throat, drawing closer carefully. "I want you to know now, Robert. I am not Lyanna, not in any manner. I do not wish for you to see me as a substitute. If we are to marry, I will be Livia Lannister. I would not attempt to fill the space she left behind but you must not attempt to use me as a replacement."

Robert was silent for a moment, only gazing at her as if that was the last thing he expected her to say but he recovered quickly.

"Done. And I would have respect from you. No more slapping or any of that sort. We are to be king and queen, not just husband and wife. You will listen to me, obey me and respect me, even if you will not love me. And I vow to do the same with you."

 "We would serve the realm, of course, we should respect one another. " Livia added before she cautiously asked. "Do you swear it? Truly?"

"I swear it on my mother."

"And I swear it on mine."

"Anything else?" Robert asked, back to his smiling manner.

Livia took a deep breath before asking. "Just as I demand respect from you, so will my family. I do not wish for you to call my brother by anything other than his name."

"You mean the name Kingsla-" He attempted to say only to be stopped by a glare. "Very well."

Livia held out a hand for Robert to shake. "Do we have a deal?"

He merely glanced at her hand before meeting her eyes once and kissing her. She let out a small gasp at the gesture only for it to be consumed by more kissing. She had half a thought to push him away only to be pulled into the taste and scent of him.

He had moved to pull her to him by her waist as she hesitantly placed her hands on his broad shoulders, about to push him away as she had done before but it seems that her hands had a mind of their own as they settled on his shoulders.

It reminded her of the first time they had kissed, the sense of urgency and possessiveness. His kisses were just as heated as they were before, his lips tainted by the taste of wine.

Just when he was about to pull her even closer than before, the door opened startling Livia into pushing him away.

Breathing heavily, the pair looked to the door to see a startled-looking Jon Arryn with two of the Kingsguard behind him, all of them pale, a clear sign that they had seen what had been taking place.

Robert broke the silence, clearing his throat with a smile on his face. "Yes, Lord Arryn? What was so important that you interrupt me and my darling betrothed?"

Livia's eyes flashed to him with a glare. She wanted nothing more than to wipe that smile off his face but just as their deal states, they must respect one another now.

Lord Arryn nodded along. "Forgive me, Your Grace, my lady. But King Robert must still see to his attire for tomorrow."

Livia decided to make her move to leave. "I see. It seems he has deceived me as he said that he was finished with all his duties."

She pretended to move to kiss him, only to move past him and straight for the door. Turning around with a smirk, she said.

"I'll see you tomorrow, my darling betrothed. Hopefully with your wedding attire complete."

<>----------------<>

Heyooo everyone! As promised, here's the early update! I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Sooo, they've come to an understanding, one to see through after the wedding but will it really be obeyed by them? 

Will Robert see Livia differently from Lyanna? Will Livia see Robert as someone worth respecting? Will the wedding push through as planned? Tune in with the next update! Lotsa love and thanks from me! Mwah! Also, they're both their mother's favorites, isn't that adorablessss!

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

73K 1.9K 7
𝖳𝗁𝖾 𝗀𝗋𝖾𝖾𝗇𝗌 𝗐𝗂𝗇 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖽𝖺𝗇𝖼𝖾, 𝗒𝖾𝗍 𝗌𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗋𝖺𝗅 𝖽𝗂𝖾𝗌. 𝖠𝖾𝗀𝗈𝗇 𝗇𝖾𝖾𝖽𝗌 𝖺 𝗐𝗂𝖿𝖾. 𝖠𝗇𝖽 𝗐𝗁𝖺𝗍 𝖻𝖾𝗍𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗍𝗁𝖺�...
84.6K 2.2K 13
𝘰𝘩, 𝘪 𝘴𝘦𝘦, - 𝖨 𝖺𝗆 𝗍𝗈 𝖻𝖾 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗌𝗉𝗈𝗂𝗅𝗌 𝗈𝖿 𝗐𝖺𝗋 ©𝘦𝘤𝘭𝘪𝘱𝘤𝘦𝘪𝘴
1.1M 38.8K 115
In which Annalys Baratheon is arranged to marry Robb Stark and when her 'father' dies, she is forced to side with the North in the Five War of the Ki...
3.5K 133 10
Seventeen years have passed since Robert's rise to the throne, forcing Rhaegar and his kin into exile in Essos. Now, Rhaegar has journeyed back with...