Chapter XXXVII

XXXVII

XXXVII. Oceans Apart

"What is this place?" 

Livia asked, looking around the dusty mountains. She had woken up a few days before aboard a ship sailing to Dorne. She had not been allowed to leave her cabin, only being sent food and water.

When they had docked, Livia noticed that they weren't heading to Sunspear. She had looked at Oberyn then after days of avoiding him. Was he doing this with Prince Doran's help or was he doing this of his own accord?

It was probably the latter, after all, why would he be avoiding the capital?

They were on horseback, Livia was restrained, rope binding her wrists and her horse being pulled by one of the Dornishmen. She found herself in the mountains, seemingly in the middle of nowhere. 

Oberyn looked back at her once. "We are at the Red Mountains, my precious lioness."

"The Red Mountains?" She looked around once more. If she somehow managed to escape, there would be nowhere for her to go. Dust, sand, heat. She'd be dead in one day without water or food or shelter. "Don't tell me we traveled all this way for you to bury me in the sand."

He laughed before his tone turned mocking. "Have you ever heard of the Tower of Joy? Your friend, Ned Stark has been there actually."

"The Tower of Joy?" She asked, confused. Why was that familiar? Where did she hear that word from?

The first time Livia had ever heard of the 'Tower of Joy' was in King's Landing from...Rhaegar Targaryen.

Her eyes widened, turning to Oberyn who only smirked, his face tinged with sadness. "Where do you think Rhaegar Targaryen brought Lyanna Stark?"

Just as he spoke, a small tower came into view and Livia suppressed a shudder. Was this truly meant to be her fate?

Was she meant to be imprisoned in the Tower of Joy, held against her will? Was she what everyone thought of Lyanna Stark? Kidnapped and stolen away?

She barely registered being carried up the steps, and barely saw the near-bare room in front of her. She could almost see the blood on the cotton sheets.

"Is this meant to be my home for the next couple of weeks, months, years? What do you hope to achieve from all of this?" Livia spoke up, finally gathering up the nerve to ask what the end point of all this is.

Oberyn approached her, reaching out to touch her face. It took everything in her not to flinch. "Leave him, marry me, stay in Dorne with me. I'll take care of you, I shall treat your child as my own. Just stay with me."

She slapped his hand away, face contorting in disgust. "If you'd forgotten, I am the queen of the Seven Kingdoms and I am already married, I love Robert and I am carrying his child nonetheless. And if you think he won't be coming for me, he will."