Chapter XIII

XIII

XIII. Dutiful and Dishonorable

"The bruises on her neck will heal, as will the wound on her lip. In time, they will fade away as if nothing happened."

"But things did happen, didn't they?"

"My lord, it was only King Aerys, Ser Jaime, and Lady Livia who were in the throne room. We do not know what exactly happened but we know that Ser Jaime killed the Mad King in self-defense."

"Oh, did he now?"

"If not for himself then to defend his sister, as he said."

"Very well, you may go."

The sound of a door closing. That was the first thing she heard through the darkness. Everything seemed calm, too calm.

With the greatest difficulty, Livia forced her eyes open, blinking at the light. A massive headache came upon her. A figure was immediately by her side.

"Lady Livia." The man said.

At first, she did not recognize him, her mind still groggy with sleep and she tasted bitterness in her mouth, remnants of the wine. Never was she going to drink a single drop of wine ever again.

For a few moments, she felt confused up until the events at the throne room hit her so suddenly that her thoughts immediately took a dark turn.

"Lord Stark?" She croaked, before coughing, trying to sit up as she struggled to speak.

Eddard Stark handed her a goblet which she drank from immediately. As she consumed all the water, she was aware of Lord Stark's look of concern as he looked at her.

She must've looked terrible. Her hair was a bedraggled mess, there was a bandage around her neck and her eyes ached.

Livia finally finished drinking as she met his eyes, immediately asking questions. "Lord Stark, is my brother alright? And my father, is he here? What of the army? I-is Lord Robert with you?"

At those words, her eyes widened at her own words. Of all the things that could have left her mouth, that was one of the first things she uttered? But she had to know if Jaime was going to be branded a traitor, if Elia and her children were to be exiled.

Lord Eddard only raised an eyebrow at her in curiosity. "Your brother is with your father at this moment. As for Robert, he is to arrive in King's Landing soon with the army. Why is it that you ask for him? Perhaps I can help."

He was not sure what he was expecting but Livia Lannister was far from it. He had expected a cruel Southerner, not a concerned lady who had only woken up from her shock yet already concerned herself with the welfare of others.

When Ned saw her in the throne room, on the iron throne, he had thought that she was a ghost. He had seen her injuries yet they did nothing to dull her quiet strength. Only when he had spoken to the grandmaester had he learned of who she truly was.