Chapter XVII

XVII

XVII. Desperate Dealings

With the wedding the next day, the people of the court were in a state of frenzy. All of them hurrying to prepare for the feasts and the ceremony.

Gowns being rushed to be finished, goblets and plates being washed, food being prepared, wine being delivered. It truly was to be the celebration of the century.

Livia's newly appointed ladies were preparing her maiden's cloak, the cloak she was supposed to remove during the ceremony and have replaced by the cloak containing the Baratheon sigil.

Livia Baratheon. A Baratheon? Her?

Of all the people, Robert Baratheon? The gods truly enjoyed playing their tricks.

Of course, she could always choose to stay a Lannister but would that be suitable for the realm? A war had just ended. If she were to choose not to be a united front with her husband, there could be some doubts.

From that morning, she had done nothing but try on countless pieces of jewelry, her gown, and her hair in many different styles.

"Milady, would you prefer to have the pearls stringed through your hair or the diadem instead?" One of her ladies asked

Livia crinkled her nose at that. "Do you not think those are too much?"

"Nothing is too much for you, milady. You are to be queen. Unless you think it is too much." The girl answered.

"I'd prefer not to have the pearls or the diadem. Thank you." Livia said, smiling.

"Of course, milady. And your maiden's cloak?" Another of her ladies replied.

"Yes, it is perfect. You've all done well. You have all made sure I am ready enough to get married today." Livia joked, earning soft giggles from them. "Now, if you will all excuse me, I shall be taking a walk, to get some air, alone."

Truly, the only reason she wanted to leave was that the room was beginning to become stuffy for her. All the preparations had been too much, too overwhelming and she needed to escape.

At least for a short while.

"But Livia, what abo-" Cersei protested, raising her voice.

"I'm sure it will all work out tomorrow. Do not worry so much." Livia called out, leaving the chamber and taking a deep breath.

Walking to no particular location, she was free to think without anyone's eyes on her.

Queen? Gods save her, how could she be a queen?

"May you never know the weight of a queen's crown upon your head."

Livia could not help but think of the words Queen Rhaella uttered to her once before. It seems she is to know its weight after all.

Perhaps this was her punishment. The penance for all her sins.

She could not understand why people fought for the crown. You gain power, yes but you have to constantly watch your back. Traitors will conspire everywhere and despite gaining power and a title, you would be at your most vulnerable.