Chapter XIX

XIX

XIX. Change of Tides

The tears stayed within his eyes as he looked upon the body of his sister, his dear Elia.

The once bright and lively woman, reduced to a lifeless corpse.

Oberyn Martell felt a deep ache in him as he stared at the woman he has looked up to all his life. The woman who, despite being broken plenty of times, still held her head up high.

"Prince Oberyn," A messenger said, capturing both Oberyn's and his brother, Doran's attention.

"What is it?" Oberyn could not help snapping angrily in response.

This messenger was interrupting his state of grief. How dare he do so? Did he know what he was feeling, the anguish, the pain?

The messenger flinched at his tone before answering. "A letter was sent as well. A message for you."

"A message? From who?"

"Lady Livia Lannister. She specifically asked that this message be delivered to your hands directly."

Oberyn looked at the piece of parchment like it was a lifeline. The answer to all of his questions. The one to bring him the truth. The truth, an explanation that all he has heard were lies. That they could not be true.

He grabbed the letter and opened it frantically, hoping for something. His eyes scanned the page quickly taking in all the words until he only felt the sadness overtake him once again.

Words of comfort. Words of apology. Words would not bring his sister back. He did not know what he expected but he definitely expected more than that from her. 

The Lannister first-born. Lord Tywin's pride. His precious lioness. The beauty of the Rock and most of all, the love of his life.

"When is to be the wedding?" Doran asked the messenger.

Oberyn's head snapped up quickly at that. "Wedding?"

"Yes, my prince. I believe it is today." The messenger replied.

Though he had a hint on whose wedding, he still had to ask, he had to make sure. It could not be what he thought. "Whose wedding?"

"His Grace, King Robert Baratheon and Lady Livia Lannister."

At that, Oberyn crushed the letter in between his fingers, as if it was his heart, crushed into pieces.

°•°•°•°•°•°

"I don't believe I've seen this much celebration in so long."

"You've never been to the Stormlands then."

Livia shook her head, taking another sip of water from her goblet. "I don't believe I have."

Robert glanced at her, drinking from his own goblet. "Celebrations like these are frequent. Loud, rowdy crowds and plenty of drunks."