Epiphany

By KelisAjanee

"I am me and I can only be the best version of myself." This is the tale and testament of a young girl's jour... More

SUMMARY
CREDITS
PREVIEW
EP:1
EP:2
EP:3
EP:4
EP:5
EP:6
EP:7
EP:8
EP:9
EP:10
EP:11
EP:12
EP:13
EP:14
Author's Note
EP:15
EP:16
EP:17
EP:18
EP:19
EP:20
Author's Note 2
EP:22
EP:23
Story Schedule
EP:24
EP:25
EP:26
EP:27
EP:28
EP:29
Author's Note 3
EP:30
EP:31
EP:32
EP:33
EP:34
EP:35
EP:36
EP:37
EP:38
EP:39
Author's Note 4
EP:40
EP:41
EP:42
EP:43
EP:44
EP:45
EP:46
EP:47
EP:48
EP:49
EP:50
CLOSING
Author's Note 5
New Book Announcement!
Novel Improvements
Exciting News

EP:21

1.2K 124 36
By KelisAjanee

Chapter 21

Owen's Perspective

"Forever is composed of nows."-Emily Dickinson

•••••

I wanted to make tonight special for Tiana so that she could finally open up to me more. We barely knew each other, and I could tell that she was very reserved and closed off. Though it was hard to focus on anything besides her beautiful face and little petite body I desired to stretch out in so many ways. Lust was the furthest thing from her mind right now of course, but as a man, it played on mine occasionally. I liked the way she felt up against me, the way she smiled when excited or happy, and how she bit her full lips when in her thoughts or nervous. We laid on the blanket talking and laughing at each other getting to know one another. My eyes couldn't stop scanning her wild curls and gentle smile as she laid with her pretty feet together propped up on her elbows. Her dress had slipped up a little bit from moving around so much, although she didn't notice. Seeing her so relaxed was a turn on, and seeing her in her natural element was sexy.

"You busted yo ass I bet?"

She was telling me a story of how she broke her tail bone at age twelve from falling down some house stairs.

"Yeah, it still hurts for me to sit in a chair for a long period of time after all these years."

"Damn clumsy"

"You don't feel bad for me?" Her voice became soft as she rubbed up and down my arm in a comforting manner. I knew she was becoming more comfortable being in my presence. It was an innocent gesture, but my thoughts weren't. She'd for sure be in my dreams tonight if she didn't stop.

"You ever had any pets?" I picked up a chocolate strawberry feeding it to her.

She opened up her mouth taking a bite. The berry juice dripped from her pouty lips trickling down her chin. She darted out her tongue licking it up. I laid back with my hands behind my head watching her.

"I had a bird. His name was Coco when he died I cried for two weeks straight."

I laughed hysterically, "that's not funny Owen." She slapped my chest.

"Then before I left for college I had a dog, but she ran away. I guess I don't have the best track record with animals."

"You must've been abusing his ass." I joked.

"Never, I'm too sweet to ever hurt a precious animal."

I shook my head listening to her, "what school you went to?"

"Howard...but life happened and I had to drop out."

I could tell she didn't wanna get into that topic right now. Another story for another day.

"Smart and beautiful." I teased.

She giggled moving closer to me looking into my eyes.

"School was never really for me. I'm not the type of person who can sit down and study for hours on end."

"Understandable my sister's the same way."

"I didn't know you had a sister."

"We're not exactly on the best of terms right now."

"Hmm"

I took in a whiff of her perfume, "you smell so damn good." I mumbled in a low registered voice.

She giggled, "thank you"

"You sittin' real close to me right now Tia."

"Your body heat makes me warm." She shrugged.

"Weird ass, come here."

I pulled her closer to me so that her head could lay on my chest. My chin sat on top of her head as she threw her hand around my waist at ease.

"What are some of your dreams?" She asked randomly. That's a deep question.

"One day I wanna open up my own car shop or at least run a business for cars. Kind of silly."

She paused before speaking, "that's not silly it's smart and a good investment. You should do that one day."

"Yeah but right now I'm just a mechanic though."

"You're not just a mechanic Owen there's more to you. You're so ambitious and determined when it comes to cars trust me I watch you in the act. It's like you're in love with fixing cars or something. I wish I was as naturally passionate about something as you are about cars."

"I appreciate that." I rubbed her back gently.

"Wanna know a secret?"

"Hmm?"

"Sometimes on hot days at work, I sneak down to the garage to watch you fix cars shirtless."

I laughed, "goofy," I took a sip of the red wine continuing to rub her back.

"That feels good."

My body heated up like wildfire from those simple words.

"Yeah?" I asked trying to play it cool.

"Mhm"

"How'd you even find a place like this?" She asked out of nowhere her voice vibrating from my chest.

"My pops used to bring me and Sixty here in middle school almost every day after school. It was a local park before being torn down. I had a lot of childhood memories here. Sometimes I still come out here just to chill on late nights to get away from the city and all, it's peaceful."

She looked up at me with sincere eyes, "that's beautiful, ya know you're more thoughtful than I imagined."

"I try not to let everybody see that side of me."

"Why's that?"

I shrugged not really having an answer.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Mhm?"

"Why are you single?" Her question seemed so generic, but the answer was never simple.

"Givin' people your time can be tricky, people like to waste that shit and to be in a relationship...that takes patience and sacrifice...lots of it." I scratched the back of my head thinking.

"I can't even remember the last time I went on a good date. What about you?" I asked looking down at her.

She seemed hesitant before answering, "my life is very complicated adding a man to that equation is unthinkable."

Her brown eyes were glistening as she talked looking at one of the many candles lit around us. Tiana wasn't a girl you would necessarily do a double-take at randomly on the streets, because it was evident she lacked self-assurance and she was always on the go worried about nobody but herself. She was naturally gorgeous inside and out, the girl that you overlooked, the kind of beauty that was right up under your nose without notice.

"What made you say yes to me then?"

"I liked your approach...it was real and straightforward." She took a sip of her wine slowly taking in the taste.

"Why do you keep watching me?" She asked sitting up.

"I like what I see."

"I bet you do." She pushed her natural curls behind her ear licking her lips.

I caught a glimpse of her bra strap as her dress slipped a little off her shoulder.

"I'm not lyin' though," I shrugged.

She was becoming a little too relaxed to the point where I felt she might not know her limits. I sat up taking the wine glass from her hands sitting it down. She pouted looking up at me.

"I'm not trynna have you pissy drunk off of some wine on our first date lightweight." I chuckled.

"I'm buzzed Owen, not drunk."

She stood up on the wooden floor dancing to the soft music of Brent Faiyaz that played in the background. Becoming lost in her own world she swayed her hips closing her eyes. Her hands came to the back of her head as she moved with a lazy smile on her face.

"Tia, Tiana sit down," I said laughing at her ass.

"Let's go outside!" She said in an excited voice confusing me.

"No, you need to chill out. Come lay on my chest again."

She needed to calm down after only having two glasses. Then again, she was so small the wine probably went straight through her in a few minutes she'd probably pass out.

"Let's go outside and dance, no one will see us." She grabbed my hand trying with all her strength to pull me up.

"What the hell, no." I laughed.

"Why not?" She asked in a childlike voice.

"Because it's cold out there baby."

"Ooh I like, call me baby again."

Upon attempting to walk over to me in a sexy manner she tripped over the blanket on the floor slipping and falling on her side. I shook my head getting up to help her.

"It's bout time for me to take yo clumsy ass home."

"I'm fine Owen really it was a mistake."

She burped in my face as I helped her up off the floor.

"I'm sorry," she giggled standing up on her feet. I picked her up bridal style spinning her around once chuckling as she laughed making siren sounds holding onto my neck. I stopped playin' around placing her back on her feet.

"I should get you back home though, it's gettin' late."

I turned around blowing out the candles and cleaning up the leftover food in containers and stuff. After folding the blanket up I turned around to see Tiana nowhere to be found.

"Tia?"

Stepping outside the treehouse I found her leaning on a wooden rail staring up at the stars in complete bliss. When she noticed me she turned around smiling gesturing me to come and stand next to her.

"They're so beautiful."

I listened to her not really caring for the stars.

"They aight"

"No, stars are a form of art, a million miles away."

As she continued watching the stars from a distance a few tears fell from her eyes making me confused as I comforted her rubbing her back not really knowing what else to do.

Why was she crying? They weren't that damn beautiful.

"I remember my mother used to bring me home a canvas and paintbrushes on the weekends from the dollar store when I was in elementary school. I would paint and draw all day long. Stars were always my go-to, easy for a kid you know." She spoke with a sudden smile on her face.

"I feel like I learn new stuff about you every day. You're like ten different people Tiana."

She was so closed off yet an opened book.

"There's a lot of things you don't know about me Owen." She wiped her eyes smiling at me.

We held eye contact for more than usual as the outside wind blew her curls in multiple directions.

"We should get going."

She went back inside of the treehouse touching my shoulder softly before walking back in. She helped me pack things up as we cleaned and rearranged stuff. I grabbed her wedges helping her place them back on. We walked back to my truck following the trail I took to get here with the stuff in our hands. I opened the door for her to the truck helping her get in before placing the stuff I brought in the back. Then I jumped in the truck backing out onto the main road. The drive back was quiet as we snuck glances at each other every now and then. This was by far one of the best dates I had ever been on in a long time, and although I didn't want it to end like all good things it had to.

Tonight went better than I expected. I was expecting her to not like my simple idea and think it was lame, but it was the total opposite. She enjoyed every moment of it making me somewhat proud. I'd met lots of women in my twenty-six years of living but none like Tiana. I had only known her for about a month, but the emotions I felt surpassed any amount of time from my past relationship. Feelings that took months to grow with my ex took weeks to start developing for her. I pulled into the parking space of Ally and Tiana's house hopping out of the driver's side to open Tiana's door. She had fallen asleep during the car ride back, I guess from the wine. I shook her gently calling her name until her big brown eyes opened looking around. She registered what was taking place and took my hand jumping out of the truck. I walked her to the door as she pulled a key out from her purse. She turned around staring at me smiling holding her hands together out in front of her.

"I had a great time with you tonight Owen."

"That's what I was hopin' for mama," I smirked.

She giggled shaking her head, "goodnight."

I stepped towards her placing a soft kiss on her cheek and on the top of her forehead. She closed her delicate eyes taking it in before reopening them smiling.

"Goodnight Tiana"

With my hands stuffed in my pockets, I walked back to my truck looking back to make sure she had made it in the house safely. She was everything I desired in a woman and this damn sure wasn't gonna be our last date even if I had to chase.

Chapter 21
KelisAjanee
All Rights Reserved
_________________________
Their little date was so cute but simple, I loved writing this chapter too. Thanks for reading. If you get the chance please follow me! ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 153 53
A collection of poems and thoughts of a young black woman, growing, learning and understanding herself as she faces many trials and tribulations on h...
8.3K 373 17
short story ; Lies , hurt , love .. but her life is the worst .
824 168 15
Everything has changed and yet...I'm more ME than I've ever been.
Exposure By Kelis Ajanee

General Fiction

30.3K 2.5K 60
The longevity of Tiana's journey continues with new trials to face.