It Began With a Smirk

By JadedRein

When Rein decided to make the move from Connecticut where she'd been living with her marine father to join he... More

1: Welcome Home
2: By the Way
3: Make an Impression
4: Settling In
5: Rain in the Grass
6: Invitations
7: Playing Rough
8: Wake-Up Call
9: Sucking Up
10: Let the Grass Grow
11: A Friend in the Making
12: First Day Jitters
13: Have You Seen the New Girl
14: So Far so Good
15: Intervention
16: Clear Skies
17: Upsetting the Enemy
18: Playing the Parents
19: Heads Up
20: Perfect Gentleman
21: Mind Games
22: Jakeson in the Flesh
23: A Ramble Worth Erasing
24: From a Distance
25: Have Some Space
26: Nude Conversations
27: Too Close
28: Table Trading
29: A Day With the Guys
30: Booty Call
31: Fatherly Love
32: Plan B
33: Acceptance
34: Green Little Monsters
35: Rich Kids
36: Dripping Wet
37: Phonecall Frustrations
38: Nothing at All
39: Behind Closed Doors
40: Beyond Control
41: Hospital Beds
42: Up and Down
43: Aftershock
44: Beach Blues
45: Getting Wet
46: The Inner Workings
47: Blastoff
48: Knight and his Trusty...Car
50: Civil or Civil War?
51: Liquid as Bitter as Truth
52: Look Inside
53: Confusion in the Calm
54: Forgotten
55: Boys and Their Rivalries
56: Shakedown
57: Retrieval
58: A Taste of Jealousy
59: Father and Son
60: Grease Lightning
61: Relationship Talk
62: The Little Things
63: Past Regrets
64: Back to the Basics
65: A Slumber Part of Sorts
66: Kisses; Some Sweet Some Sour
67: A Good Time
68: Terrible in the Terrific
69: Stand Off
70: Awkward Moments Never Cease
71: Knowing the Truth
72: Wanting More
73: Forbidden Fruit
74: Admittance
75: Breaking the News
76: Everything to Lose

49: Grow on Me

124K 1.4K 137
By JadedRein

“Hey there.”

I spun around surprised by the voice. “Hi uh-“

“Mathhew.” He reminded me.  “Enjoy your shower?” he asked his eyes glinting as I stepped out dressed in a pair of Jakeson’s running shorts and a tee shirt. I had the feeling he’d decided it would be better for my mental stability not to grab me some of his cousin’s things and I was thankful for it. Oh god he thinks I slept with Jakeson.

“Yeah I just needed to shower after my run.”  I finished towel drying my hair and looked up at him as he gave me a cute smile. I guess good looks run in the family. “How’d you like your pineapple?”

“It was good. Nice and sweet.” His eyes scanned me.

“Where’s Jakeson?”

“He’s down in the movie room. Come on I’ll show you.” I followed beside him as he led me down the hall and down the stairs. “So you and Skylar huh?”

“What?” I asked.

“You and Skylar a thing now?”

I shook my head. “Where’d you hear that?”

“I heard Kale freaking out about it last time he was over.”

“Oh.” I sighed.

“So you and Skylar aren’t a thing?”

“Nope.”

“Jakeson’s going to be so relieved.”

I laughed.  “Why?”

“Because he hates him. So does Kale. And pretty much every single guy in our school.” Our school? He goes to the same school as me? I’ve never seen him in the hall. I thought about Mathew for a moment.

“How come?”

“Because all the girls are like in love with him. He wants a girl he gets her.  Same goes for Kale and Jakeson of course, but Skylar’s reputation covers more girls. And unlike them Skylar has never had a girlfriend. Ever.”

“Everyone keeps saying that.”

“It’s true. He’ll go on a date or two and then get some. Usually it takes him about a week.” He never seemed like that to me. “And seeing as from what I hear he’s been hanging around with you for like three weeks now I guess people just assume he’s getting some.”

I laughed at this. “I’ve barely even hugged him yet.”

Matthew looked over at me as we turned a corner. “Seriously?”

“Yup.”

“That’s not what Kale thinks.”

“Well Kale can burn and die.” I shrugged and Jakeson’s eyes met mine as I entered the movie room.

“Whatcha watching?” I asked suppressing a yawn. The run had taken a lot out of me.

“I was watching Crank II but it just ended a few seconds ago.” He replied and I noticed the credits rolling. “Do you want to stay the night here?”

“Wouldn’t your parents mind?”

He laughed. “My parents live in their house in Peru. It’s just me my brother and on occasion a few of my cousins that live here.”  Rich people.

“You can stay in cousin Trista’s room.” Matthew piped up from beside me giving a sly smile.

“No.” Jakeson’s voice was strict. I’d much rather steer clear of his cousin’s room. “The door’s broken off the hinges, remember?”

“I know.” Matthew gave a mischievous smile.

“All of our other cousins have their rooms locked while they are away.” He explained as he ran a hand over his short hair. “Otherwise I’d just give you one of their rooms.”

“You can stay in my room.” Matthew offered from beside me.

Jakeson shot him a glare. “I don’t trust you and frankly I think she’d rather not.”

“Uhm-“ I muttered not really sure what to say.

Matthew smiled. “My bed’s big.”

“I’d rather not.” I admitted.

Jakeson smiled. “You can stay in my room. I can sleep on my couch and there’s a lock on the door to keep the pervert out.” He looked to Matthew and I laughed.

“Yeah, sure. That’ll work.” I yawned and cracked my neck.

“Come on let’s get you to bed.” He got up from the couch and led me to his room closing the door behind us. “Want it locked?” he asked stopping by the door as I looked around the room. Holy crap this is huge. What a waste of space.

“Sure.”

“You don’t mind that I sleep in my boxers, do you? I can find some shorts if it makes you uncomfortable.”

I shook my head. “No I don’t mind.  I’ve seen you in a swimming suit anyways.” I climbed into the comfortable deep blue covers of the large bed. “This looks bigger than a King size.” I commented feeling utterly small on it.

“It’s a Grand King sized bed.” He chuckled and stripped of his clothes and I did my best to look away from his dreamy body.

“You can sleep in the bed too. I don’t mind.” I commented. “I’m not going to kick you out of your own bed.” Part of me wanted him there. I felt so small in his large room.

He switched off the lights and climbed in. I could feel him get comfortable on the other side of the bed. “Now what did he say to get you so mad?”

“He said it was my fault.” I said softly before I could stop myself.

“That what was your fault?”

“The whole Miles thing.”

“That fucking asshole!” Jakeson practically screamed and I jumped a little surprised at his response.  “He’s a fucking heartless dick and I should beat him as bad as I beat Miles for saying something like that to you.” He hissed.

“He said I was a tease.”

“You are not a tease. Kale just thinks that because he can’t get into your pants.” He growled.

“If I hadn’t been nice he wouldn’t have gotten the wrong idea…” I trailed off quietly.

Jakeson shook his head and his voice softened. “Rein nothing you did made him do that. It wasn’t your fault at all and you know that. Kale knows that too. He had no right to say that to you. It wasn’t your fault.”

“But-“

“No but’s, okay?” he fell silent. “It was my fault. I should have kept an eye on him.”

“It was your party. You aren’t supposed to be babysitting you guests. It wasn’t your fault either Jakeson. It’s stupid to say so.”

“It was my own home he did it in. I take responsibility for him raping you in my house.”

“He didn’t get the chance to rape me.” I said rolling onto my side to face him.  “He got my clothes off but you guys came in before he could do any real damage. If you hadn’t pulled him off of me. . .” I didn’t finished just went quiet. I don’t want to think about it.

He went quiet and I thought he had fallen asleep. I went quiet as well my eyes fluttering as I began to doze off. “Rein?” he asked softly.

“Yeah?”

“You can stay here for as long as you want.  You don’t need to be treated like that by anyone. I don’t like it.” 

Friend Like That - Hawk Nelson

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7M 42.5K 12
All Clarey wants is to be one of the boys. The problem is, Evan and his best friend, Lance, are not having it. Clarey Johnson and Evan von Detten hat...
680K 12.1K 42
UNEDITED! "I can't act like I'm not in love with you!" he says at last. Every single drop of confidence fades away from my body. "What did you say?"...
396 68 16
Jess has had a hard life. Her dad died at a young age and her mom blamed her for his death. Her mom remarried a creep who abuses her. Her step dad g...
1.4K 87 49
Jane just moved to New York City where she meets Luke Williams whom she falls in love with. Things become complicated when their parents get married...