It Began With a Smirk

By JadedRein

When Rein decided to make the move from Connecticut where she'd been living with her marine father to join he... More

1: Welcome Home
2: By the Way
3: Make an Impression
4: Settling In
5: Rain in the Grass
6: Invitations
7: Playing Rough
8: Wake-Up Call
9: Sucking Up
10: Let the Grass Grow
11: A Friend in the Making
12: First Day Jitters
13: Have You Seen the New Girl
14: So Far so Good
15: Intervention
16: Clear Skies
17: Upsetting the Enemy
18: Playing the Parents
19: Heads Up
20: Perfect Gentleman
21: Mind Games
22: Jakeson in the Flesh
23: A Ramble Worth Erasing
24: From a Distance
25: Have Some Space
26: Nude Conversations
27: Too Close
28: Table Trading
29: A Day With the Guys
30: Booty Call
31: Fatherly Love
32: Plan B
33: Acceptance
34: Green Little Monsters
35: Rich Kids
36: Dripping Wet
37: Phonecall Frustrations
38: Nothing at All
39: Behind Closed Doors
40: Beyond Control
41: Hospital Beds
43: Aftershock
44: Beach Blues
45: Getting Wet
46: The Inner Workings
47: Blastoff
48: Knight and his Trusty...Car
49: Grow on Me
50: Civil or Civil War?
51: Liquid as Bitter as Truth
52: Look Inside
53: Confusion in the Calm
54: Forgotten
55: Boys and Their Rivalries
56: Shakedown
57: Retrieval
58: A Taste of Jealousy
59: Father and Son
60: Grease Lightning
61: Relationship Talk
62: The Little Things
63: Past Regrets
64: Back to the Basics
65: A Slumber Part of Sorts
66: Kisses; Some Sweet Some Sour
67: A Good Time
68: Terrible in the Terrific
69: Stand Off
70: Awkward Moments Never Cease
71: Knowing the Truth
72: Wanting More
73: Forbidden Fruit
74: Admittance
75: Breaking the News
76: Everything to Lose

42: Up and Down

127K 1.3K 82
By JadedRein

“What happened to your eye?” Skylar asked as I took my seat behind him in psych.

I looked up and smiled. “I’m a total klutz.” He cocked an eyebrow and I laughed. “Brendon took me rollerskating. Let’s just say that you shouldn’t try quads when you are used to inlines.”

He laughed. “I never learned to skate myself. But next time maybe you should wear some kneepads.”

I nodded. “I think I’ll be staying off of skates for a long while.”

-------

“Hey there stranger.” I greeted Jared as I took my seat across from him. “What’s got you looking so blue?”

He looked up and smiled as he took a bite of his sandwich. “I was just zoning out.”

“Gotcha.” I opened my milk bottle and took a drink. “So how is the deck going?”

He shrugged. “Just working on all the measurements. It’s slow going.”

I nodded and got to working on eating my salad. “Hey bug-a-boo.” Brendon greeted me as he took the seat beside me and grinned. “I see you’re eating healthy today, good girl.”

“Oh shut up mr all I eat is candy.”

He chuckled and munched down on his nerd rope. I don’t think I have ever seen him eat actual food. “So that thing I asked you about…?”

He nodded. “I took care of it as promised. I have a feeling you are going to be dealing with a very upset Kale soon.”

“Why?”

“Because I know Spencer won’t be able to keep his mouth shut.”

“Looks like whatever you guys were talking about Kale just found out.” Jared said his eyes glued to Kale as he made a beeline for our table.

“Shit. I’ll see you guys later.” I yelped as I got up quickly and rushed off.

It didn’t take Kale long to catch up with me however. He stopped me in the hallway pining me up against a locker. “When were you going to tell me.”

“I wasn’t.” I admitted.

“Why the fuck not?”

The angry tone to his voice made me flinch. “Because I knew this was how you would react.”

“We are pressing charges.”

“No, I am not.” I said stressing the I. “Now move.”

He kept me pinned against the locker pressing up against me. “Rein he can’t just get away with it.”

“He didn’t. Jakeson and Jared took care of him. Brendon already told me that he’s in the hospital.”

“Then it’s your fault if it happens again.”

I blinked. “What?”

“If Miles goes and does that to another girl it is your fault for not putting him in jail like he belongs.”

“He wouldn’t dare try it again. Not after what they did to him.”

“You mean he won’t do it to you again.”

I held my breath at a loss for words. “I just want to forget it ever happened.” I whispered.

As if flipping a switch his face softened as he looked at me. I turned my eyes away uncomfortable with his gaze. His hand gently rested on my chin and he tipped my head up to look at him. “It will never happen again. I won’t let it.”

Kale looked into my eyes and I looked away. “You’re not always going to be there.”

“Don’t say that.”

“It’s true.”

I looked back up at him and the moment I did he lowered his mouth to mine, kissing me gently. My heart stopped and I blinked utterly surprised. He pulled back and from the corner of my eye I saw Jared standing there eyes as wide as mine. You have to be kidding me. 

Jared’s eyes met mine and the disgusted look on his face felt like a punch to the gut. “Jared!” I yelped pushing Kale off of me as I chased after him. “Jared stop!” He ducked into the boys bathroom and I stopped outside the door.  I can’t believe I’m doing this. I pushed open the door and marched in. I walked past a boy standing at the urinal paying no attention to him as I pushed Jared against the wall catching him by surprise.

“This is the guys room.” A voice from behind me said.

“Shut up.” I hissed giving him the evil eye and looking back to Jared. “We need to talk.”

He shook his head and pushed me off of him. “No we don’t there is nothing to talk about.”

“Don’t act like that.”

“Don’t tell me what to do. I wasn’t the one swapping spit with my brother!” he practically screamed at me.

“One he isn’t my brother.” I blocked his path as he moved to leave the bathroom. “Our parents are engaged, not married. And two I didn’t kiss him. He kissed me.”

“Didn’t look like you minded.” He hissed.

“He caught me by surprise. We were just talking about the night of the party and he leaned in and kissed me. I didn’t see it coming and I didn’t know how to react so pardon me for being vulnerable right now.” I growled back and walked out of the bathroom.

I marched down the hall and into photography my mind spinning. “Hey Skylar what are you doing after school?” I asked him as he walked in. I can’t face Kale.

“Do you need a ride home?”

I shook my head. “Actually I was wondering if you wanted to do something after school. I didn’t really have anything particular in mind.”

“Can you swim?” he asked grinning brightly.

I nodded. “Me and some of the guys were going to go surfing, it’s supposed to be awesome waves today. You should come with.”

“I can’t surf.”

He laughed. “That’s okay. You’re allowed to swim too.”

“Then yeah that would be awesome. If you give me directions I could meet you there. I’d have to switch into a swimming suit.”

“I can wait at your house while you change. Just make sure to pack a lot of suntan lotion. You’re fair skin is a sight for sore eyes with all the tan girls here.”

I chuckled and pulled out my camera. “The beach will be the perfect opportunity for some pictures.”

Hot N Cold - Katy Perry

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

193K 6K 39
"When I first met you, you were a complete stranger. But through time, I thought I really started to get to know you. To know the way you react to th...
41.7K 765 31
(NOT FULLY EDITED) Madison has dealt with abuse and heart ache her whole life thinking that it was what she deserved. First her parents then her boyf...
369K 10.7K 61
Summer Jones doesn't have a perfect life - a crazy half family, dropping grades and absolutely no idea on what she's doing in life. This tomboy has n...
716 59 21
"It's not worth crying over. They don't matter. You are here to learn and have a good time. Meet new friends and hot French boys." Karle whispered th...