Serendipity (Ryeji)

De mochiiiii_01

Shin Ryujin and Hwang Yeji were close friends growing up until one began to develop feelings and push the oth... Mais

A Crazy Day
A Crazy Day (Pt. 2)
Avoidance
Sleepover
Questions
Date?
Memories
Arcade
Feelings
Closer
Study "Date"
Best Excuse
Confused
Avoidance (Pt. 2)
Afraid
So Close
Detention
A Setup
Confession
A Favor
A Favor (Pt.2)
Art Hwang
Choi Yeonjun
Ryeji
A Crazy Day (Pt.3)
Not What You Think
Official
Ryeji (Pt.2)
Not the End
A Date
Game Day
Time to Go
A Dance
Snake
Snake (Pt.2)
Ryeji (Pt.3)
Snake (Pt.3)
A Loss
Snake (Pt.4)
Sketchy
Sketchy (Pt.2)
Feelings (Pt.2)
Just the Beginning
Jealousy
Feelings (Pt.3)
Not Okay (Pt.3)
Ryeji (Pt.4)
Us
Apology
Feelings (Pt.4)
Sketchy (Pt.3)
Surprise
Serendipity
Book 2 Preview: It's Over

Game Night

3.4K 157 640
De mochiiiii_01

Soon after Yiren returned with Aisha, the whistle blew, and Yeji simply observed as Chaeryeong yelled their friend's name and Ryujin's reaction to her cheer. That was before Ryujin's eyes fixated on Yeji, though. The eye contact caused the smile to fade just as quickly as it had appeared, and Yeji didn't know how to react to that. She can't figure out what she did so wrong or why Ryujin refuses to discuss it, but it really hurts to be on the receiving end. It's absolutely frustrating.

This is Yeji's first time watching Ryujin play outside of practice in an official game. From the very beginning, she focused only on her, which wasn't that hard considering Ryujin had all of her attention anyway. Her cat eyes trace Ryujin's every move, and Yeji's positive she doesn't have to be an expert to declare the pink-haired girl is playing well. She's seen many practice games while waiting after school for the latter, but there's a difference in the intensity of this match compared to the others. She's even more impressed by her skills this time around. So much that she couldn't resist cheering along.

This caught an unsuspecting Lia by surprise. "Since when are you into sports?"

"Ryujin's playing. Of course I'm going to cheer."

Lia looks like she's thinking of something, yet she never responds. She merely shrugs, resumes talking to their friend, too busy scolding Yuna about her grades and demanding she fixes them or else. From what Yeji could hear, Yuna had a 'C' in one of her classes. Everyone in their little group knew that Lia played mom and accepted nothing lower than a 'B,' a rule that excluded no one.

This particular instance was funny for Yeji, though. Yuna would often disrupt Lia to ignore her by yelling, "Let's go Shin sister!"

The youngest's words prompt Yeji to shout along. Yiren, who had switched spots with Lia so that way Lia could talk to Yuna without disrupting the others, leans closer to Yeji and whispers to where only she could hear over the surrounding noise. "You didn't cheer like that for Yeonjun."

"Yiren, stop flirting," Aisha slapped her arm, quite displeased with Yiren's actions.

"Think about it." She nudges the brunette before backing away, didn't want Aisha to whack her again. Still, the raised brows and smug look are something Yeji wishes she hadn't seen. It was just like that night at Yeonjun's basketball game a while back, but what Yiren is insinuating is something the young Hwang hasn't reached a verdict on.

During one of the timeouts the opposing team called, Yeonjun taps her shoulder. He's been trying to get her attention this entire time, except Yeji's been so focused on the game that it felt nearly impossible. "Don't shout too loud. You might lose your voice."

"That's a bit dramatic, don't you think?"

"A little." He laughs, but it's a front he's put up to mask his nervousness. He recalls what someone told him, and he doesn't like that he's witnessing the signs firsthand. "It's cute how you support your friends, though."

"I guess." She didn't know how else to respond to that, so she only nods her head and keeps staring at the field.

"Do you want to hang out after this?" His eyes search hers with hope, but she already knows the answer to his question.

Regardless, whether she had plans or not, Yeji didn't feel up to hanging out with anyone after this, even if he was decent company sometimes. She remembers telling herself beforehand that spending time with Yeonjun might be a good thing. It didn't take long to realize how wrong that was because, throughout the day, she knew this wasn't the case. While with Yeonjun, Yeji couldn't forget about Ryujin no matter how hard she tried. "Sorry, but I think I'll go straight home after this."

"I understand." He smiles softly, yet the underlying expression on his face is unreadable.

While the game continues, Ryujin seems sort of... lost? She's not playing as well as she was in the beginning. Apparently she keeps messing up and performing the wrong play according to Hyunjin, who's calling her teammate out pretty often. As a result, their teamwork starts to falter. Rather than take the lead, the opposing team easily overwhelms them and evens out the playing field, their scores now tied.

Off to her left, Chaeryeong appears uneasy, which unintentionally leaves Yeji feeling similar. Being in the bottom rows of the bleachers provides them with a proper visual of the field and the players, making it easy to watch for the details, and Yeji can see the motivation in Ryujin's eyes lessen every time her teammates point out something she did wrong. She no longer had that fire inside or the drive to win.

"Think they'll win?"

"Yes." Without looking at him, the brunette keeps her eyes fixated on their school's players. "I'm confident they'll pull through, even if there's only a minute left."

"I don't know. They're out of balance, and your friend seems to be having a bad day."

"Her name is Ryujin."

"I know."

Yeji goes silent after that, his response irking her. Sure his persistence can get annoying but this was different. That two-word reply was unnecessarily rude. It bothered her a lot. Once the game is done, she'd gladly bid him goodbye. And besides, she needs to talk to Ryujin. That part isn't up for debate.

There's only one minute left and Ryujin can't seem to think straight. Her head is so fogged, so clouded, so out-of-whack that she doesn't have any other words to explain it differently.

Ryujin wishes she could control how she's feeling, also believes she shouldn't have played today—No. Maybe she shouldn't have come at all. Maybe she should've ignored Hyunjin and skipped school again. Why did Yeji have to show up? And with Yeonjun, too? Why would Yeji want to watch her play after she's noticeably avoided her? It makes no sense to Ryujin at all.

"Ryujin, get in position!" Jiu shouts to her teammate from afar. It's a risky move, one that alerts the team they're going against to keep an eye on the young Shin, but she had no other choice.

"R- right. I need to focus," she whispers to herself. In moments like these, Ryujin glances out in the crowd in search of one of her closest friends whenever she's stressed or upset during a game. Out of habit, she looks for Chaeryeong shouting motivational words, but this time her eyes inevitably land on Yeji cheering her name.

(12yo Yeji / 11yo Ryujin)

"Ryu Jin! Ryu Jin! Ryu Jin!" Yeji thrusts her fists in the air, pumping them in an upward and downward motion while her best friend practices.

Ryujin perfected her swing before aiming it at the goal, scoring just as she did the last few times. She threw her hands up in the air while holding her stick and smiles at her friend. "Yeddeong, you don't have to chant my name while I practice."

"But I want to be your cheerleader." She pouted like a puppy, her cat eyes shimmering in the sunlight.

Ryujin looked away, feeling a tingle in her stomach and got nervous from the sight in front of her. She loved that the girl did this, though she would never admit that, so she huffed. "I- I don't need a cheerleader. Hmph!"

"That's too bad!" Yeji took off after stealing the crosse from Ryujin and ran off into the field. The younger girl chased after her, demanding she give it back, but it was pointless. Still, Ryujin didn't give up. The instant she caught up to her, she tackled Yeji to the ground, started tickling her until the oldest pleaded for mercy.

Once released from Ryujin's hold, both with their backs against the grass, their laughter dies down. They stare at the clouds for a bit before Yeji sighs.

"Ryuddaeng?"

Ryujin leaned on her side to look at her friend, her elbow pointing to the ground and her cheek held by her hand. "Hm?"

"Promise me we'll always be friends."

If it weren't for the rush of wind caused by the person that dashed past her, Ryujin would've cried because of the memory. However, at that moment she realizes the game has already started. This is no time for reminiscing.

Her teammates call out each other's names when they're going to pass the ball, and it makes her anxious. She knows what play they're running. They've practiced it a million times. So why is she getting cold feet now?? She fears the idea, wants to switch her place out with another teammate that's more capable, but she can't. There are roughly fifteen seconds. There's no time to switch. It's too late. As of now, she's the bridge between a victory or overtime.

Ryujin was the closest to the opposing team's goal, and the zigzag formation that the others secretly moved the ball in meant it would be passed to her soon. Did they really trust her that much? Even after she's been messing up through the entirety of this game?

'Why would they let the game rest in my hands??'

"Ryujin!" She gulps at the sound of Hyejoo calling her name, her chest heavy with anticipation. The latter was raging at her earlier, so the fondness caught her off guard. And, right before Hyejoo swung her crosse, she lifts her head and smiles reassuringly. Ryujin doesn't see that gentle grin directed towards her very often.

Thanks to muscle memory, her limbs move before she even has a chance to think. She executes the play, spins around her opponent, and flings the ball into the direction of the goal with her eyes sealed shut, refusing to witness the possibility of herself failing, especially after Hyejoo expressed so much trust. The buzzer blares, making her clench her jaw.

'Did I make it?'

The crowd starts cheering, and one of her teammates rushes to her, almost causing Ryujin's body to succumb to gravity and lose her balance. Ryujin opens her eyes to see who it was, not sure yet if this is a good tackle or a bad one.

"You did it!" The purple-haired girl pulls her into a tight hug, and with her chin on Jiu's shoulder, Ryujin peers at the scoreboard.

'Seventeen to sixteen.'

Relieved by the results, Ryujin hugs Jiu back, and one by one, their other teammates approach them both, turning it into a massive group hug. This made Ryujin genuinely happy, but she's not satisfied with how she played tonight. She believes she could've done better had she not let her heart get in the way.

"YAH SHIN SISTER!"

"I knew they'd win! I knew it!"

With the same look Yeji got from her earlier, Lia glances behind Yuna jumping around and directly at Chaeryeong. "You were literally just saying that it's over and they're done for."

Chaeryeong merely looks at Lia with an expression that advises her to shut up. Meanwhile, standing at the end of the bleachers, the youngest Shin excitedly greets one of Ryujin's teammates, specifically the purple-haired one. Since this is Yuna's first time at one of Ryujin's games this year too, it's also the first time she has watched her classmate play officially.

"Minji!" Intrigued by her presence, the older athlete faces the one who yelled out a name she hears only when she's taunted. Yuna leans over the top of the gate, grins smugly. "Hey, loser."

"Loser?" Jiu questions, points up at the numbers. "I think the scoreboard begs to differ."

"Nope. That's your team's overall score."

"Then shall I retrieve the scorebook so you can see my individual stats?"

"No need. I won against you yesterday. Your scores here won't make a difference."

"You know, you really love to talk a big game." Jiu laughs at her classmate's behavior. They're not friends, but they always provoke one another whenever they're in the same room. Needless to say, their competitiveness was on the same level. "Are you going to back that confidence up in gym class next week?"

"Don't I always?"

"You lost on Tuesday, didn't you? Technically we tied this week."

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

Yuna huffs, crosses her arms, and Ryujin suddenly approaches the scene at that same second, playfully narrowing her eyes after wrapping an arm around Jiu's shoulders. "Yuna, why are you harassing my friend?"

Yeji observes silently, doesn't dare to interrupt. She can't help but wonder why Ryujin's arm around the purple-haired girl bothers her so much. Obviously, the two are friends, not to mention teammates and classmates. Still, something about it makes her frown.

"She's bothering me, not the other way around."

"Hah!" Jiu chuckles once more. "But you started the conversation, Shin."

"Eh?"

"Not you, Ryu." She facepalms, gestures toward Yuna. "I'm talking about that Shin."

"The better one!"

"What the hell... " The pink-haired girl mumbles to herself.

"Prepare to get your ass kicked on Monday, fool!"

"SHIN YUNA!" Lia angrily yells, and Yuna merely shouts 'save me' to Chaeryeong several times before the young Lee actually intervenes. The conversation ends with her departure and Ryujin's teammate's loud "Bye, loser!" right next to her.

Utterly baffled by an interaction she has never witnessed before, Ryujin gazes at Jiu with confused eyes. "What was that about?"

"We're rivals in gym class. It's always my team against hers." The oldest shrugs, motions toward the building. "You coming?"

"Uhm... " Ryujin glances up at the rows of bleachers before deciding. As expected, she spots a particular brunette she initially wanted to speak to. Because Yeji was looking back at her, the desire to talk nearly sparked again until her eyes landed on the guy seated beside her. The sight was more than enough to squash her confidence. "Sure."

She nods at Jiu and proceeds to follow her inside toward the locker rooms. At the same time, Yeji doesn't mean to ignore all that Yeonjun is saying and watches Ryujin leave in a hurry, finds the behavior to be strange, especially after they've met eyes just seconds ago.

'She really is avoiding me.'

"Sorry, Yeonjun. I'll be right back." Without wasting any time, Yeji steps away from him and over to Lia, then taps her on the shoulder. "Hey, I'm going to the bathroom."

"Oh, okay. Do you want me to come with you?"

"No, it's alright. I'll be fine on my own."

Before the brunette couldn't even take a step, her best friend clutches her wrist. It was a bit tight, but her intentions were evidently to stop her from going any further. That look in Yeji's eyes was new to her. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah." Yeji nods, even smiles, although she's fully aware that her eyes give her emotions away. Lia knows her too well, and that much is obvious considering the look she received showed Lia didn't believe her despite letting Yeji stray off. Chaeryeong must've sensed it too, but she didn't appear as lost as Lia did. On the contrary, she looked intrigued.

Putting that aside, Yeji picks up the pace and heads straight for the same building the athletes did. She follows behind Ryujin and Jiu fast enough to catch up.

"Ryujin???" She calls out.

Jiu is quick to stop as well, glancing back and forth between the two before whispering something in her teammate's ear. Yeji reckons it must've been referring to the confrontation she initiated because, after a head nod, the purple-haired student wanders into the locker room. This leaves Ryujin and Yeji alone in the hallway.

"Yeji... " The young Shin taps her foot softly, eyes avoiding Yeji's. "Do you need something?"

"I was hoping you could spare a few minutes so we can talk."

While she is a bit curious, she still shakes her head no. "I'm exhausted. Can it wait until tomorrow or another day?"

"I guess it can, but something tells me you'll push it off again just like you are now." Yeji's expression changes in an instant. She didn't think the latter would deny her request. At least, maybe not so quickly. It's as if it was predetermined, a default no. "When can we really talk?"

Suddenly, the door opens behind them. Yeji ignores it, but since Ryujin is facing its direction, she can't stand the sight of the young guy who entered. Of course he followed Yeji inside. She's not that surprised.

However, due to the jealousy that comes with this encounter, Ryujin rolls her eyes at the question. "Not right now, obviously."

This attitude was undoubtedly something new to the young Hwang, and there was no way she was going to put up with it. Nonetheless, she takes a breath, glances behind her at the individual Ryujin is apparently looking at, and the weird, unexpected tension between the two athletes seemed to prove her theory correct. She can't help questioning why Yeonjun is glaring at her friend in such a harsh way.

"Ryujin, wait."

The youngest stops in her tracks once more. Ryujin knows it's obvious to most, but someone had to have told Yeonjun. It's the only explanation she can come up with that explains why he's so intent on stealing any opportunity she has to be near Yeji. "Please just go away."

Yeji blinks a few times, unaware that Ryujin wasn't directing that statement toward her. "What the hell is your problem?"

"What— "

"You like to randomly ghost me every once in a while and now you're talking to me like you don't care."

Ryujin clicks her tongue and reaches for the handle, wants absolutely no part of this, so Yeji quickly grabs her wrist. This persistence isn't something Yeonjun's fond of, and it makes him grimace on the sidelines.

"I don't know what's going on with you, but stop. Why won't you tell me what's wrong??"

Ryujin blankly stares in response, glances at Yeonjun, then back at the door. Her lips part for a moment and then close, preventing any words that'll answer the question from leaving her lips.

"I have to go." Ryujin shakes away from Yeji's grip and turns the handle before entering. She disappears into the locker room and Yeji grunts in annoyance. She glances off at Yeonjun, frustrated that he followed her because something about him and Ryujin being in the same room makes the atmosphere around them thicken. She still doesn't understand why.

"Yeji, are you alright?"

"Yeah, because why wouldn't I be?" She scoffs. At this point, anyone can tell she's annoyed and upset. "My friend isn't talking to me and she won't tell me why."

"Then that doesn't sound like a friend to me." He steps closer, boldly takes hold of her hand despite the confused stare she gives him in that same second. "It might not be my place to say this, but you shouldn't let her treat you like that."

"No, I probably just need to give her some space. People react before they think when they're angry." Yeji counters his advice. Something tells her that, even if Ryujin wasn't in the wrong he'd still say something to convince her otherwise. She caught the way both athletes stared at one another. Surely there's something she's not aware of.

"Listen, your real friends are the ones who stick by you, and they sure as hell don't leave you feeling like this. You should know you deserve better."

"I get what you're saying, but... " His words are sweet, and even though his last sentence makes her smile faintly, Yeji can't help asking what's been on her mind lately. "Can I ask you something??"

"Of course." He nods urgently. "Ask me anything."

"Why do you and Ryujin not like each other?"

Yeonjun's warm smile drops right then and there. No doubt, this isn't a question he wants to respond to, not if it risks the answer sparking something in Yeji that might lead to ignoring him entirely. "I wouldn't say there's a disliking. We just don't know each other."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." He lies. "Why does it matter?"

"I'm not sure, it just feels like neither of you wants to be around me when the other is."

"To be fair, she's the one who always leaves when I'm in the same room as you." Yeonjun points out, and to his surprise, the latter agrees. "I know she's supposedly your friend, but why does that bother you so much?"

"Because, well... "

Yeji hesitates to continue. Telling this to Yeonjun would risk hurting his feelings, but she's afraid he'll keep trying with her if she doesn't admit to it sooner rather than later. Little does she know that this is the last thing he wants to hear.

"I really like being around her...? I- it's strange to me, weirder than anything I've felt before." She fidgets with her sleeve, avoids eye contact. "I don't know why or how to word it. She just makes me feel nice, I guess."

"Don't tell me you— " His jaw clenches as he cuts his question short, can't help being angry toward the young Shin for trying to ruin what he could've had with Yeji, and he refuses to back down so soon. "What about us? Have you ever felt that way around me?"

"Not exactly. M- maybe once or twice, but not as intense? It was kind of confusing and— "

"Can I kiss you?"

"What?" Startled, Yeji takes a step back, withdraws her hand. Did he really just ask that?

"Can I kiss you?" He says once more. As of now, he craves to rid of her confusion and get a clear answer, convinced that Yeji may simply be mixing up the two feelings incorrectly. "You said you were confused, right?"

"Yes, but I just told you what I was feeling towards Ryujin so why the hell would you want to kiss me?"

"Won't it give you your answer?" Now Yeji hesitates. She tries to advise him against it, yet he persists. While she'll admit that he has a decent point, she's also way too nervous to follow through. However, it seems Yeonjun planned to make the decision easy for her from the very beginning because, due to the lack of response, he took the silence as a yes and leaned in.

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

28.3K 1.5K 10
During a 10 years reunion after high school, Ryujin and Yeji reunite
294K 15.5K 70
When Yeji wished for a change in her life, she never expected it to come in the form of her brother's friend, Ryujin.
1.5K 104 20
Seeing her there, with that perfect smile that takes you to the same sky, as beautiful as it is forbidden. How can I explain to my best friend that I...
191K 8.3K 56
Ryujin falls for Yeji but she has a hard time coming to terms with it. I never know what to write for story description so take it or leave it lol.