Differences Aside, ✔

By ErynRaineStories

Cover by @auroralust This book is available on Goodreads under this title Elora Reed has spent the majority o... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty Two
Epilogue
Final Authors Note
My Stories
Bonus Chapter - Pups

Chapter Forty One

32.6K 978 226
By ErynRaineStories

When I woke up, I felt nothing.

Nothing at all.

Which was strange, considering the number of injuries I had.

I was lying in a bed, a hospital bed, it was familiar to me, I just couldn't place how. I moved a hand around to the back of my head, feeling over where there should at least be a lump or a gash. But nothing. In my confusion, I let my hand move down, running over the are where Belial's dagger had been dragged over my back. Nothing, not even an indent in my skin. I hastily grabbed the quilt that had been draped over me and pulled it back.

My leg was completely healed.

Maybe six or seven scars were left, small crescent moon shapes that formed a semi-circle on my leg. There were no stitches, no anything.

I must have been connected to an IV at some point, as the machine was standing right next to my bed, a needle hanging from it loosely, connected to an empty, plastic bag.

I heard the toilet flush.

I pulled the blanket back over my body, my spine going straight as I heard footsteps from a door that has hidden in the corner.

Suddenly I remembered, I was in the hospital, the royal suite. The one I had been brought to after... everything.

My breath caught in my throat as the door opened. Maddox came walking out, dressed so casually that I almost didn't recognise him.

He looked tired, bags were under his eyes and his skin was uneven and discoloured. It wasn't new, almost like he had been like this for weeks.

Of course, during the time I've been away.

His mouth was opened wide, "You're awake." He said it as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "I'm sorry, I've been- I was in the- How long have you been awake for?"

"Not long," I replied quietly, "Maybe five minutes?"

He nodded, gulping, "They said you wouldn't wake up for at least another day or so. You had a lot of poison in your system,"

I raised a hand to my forehead, "How long have I been asleep for?"

Maddox looked down at his wrist, "Maybe 13 hours or so?"

The room went silent, the tension between us was bubbling. I took a deep breath,

"I've missed you," I blurted out. "I love you, I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking and I was being angry for no reason and-"

"Don't apologise. I was in the wrong and I deserved your treatment, I probably deserved worse." Maddox walked forward and lightly sat down at the end of my bed. "When I heard you talking through the speaker, I had no idea if you were delusional or anything. But I didn't care. Look I don't deserve your forgiveness Elora, truly, I don't-"

I pulled my blanket back and practically jumped at him. I pulled my legs over his body, seating me in his lap as I pressed my lips to his.

Maddox was completely still before his hands slowly slithered around my waist, his lips slowly responding to mine with a force of passion. My hands moved up his collarbone, my fingers curling around his hair that laid at the nape of his neck. 

I had never been kissed before, never experienced anything to the feelings that I was experiencing now. But Maddox certainly knew what he was doing.  One hand was pressed against the back of my head, the other closer to my lower back, keeping me close to him. I pulled away,

"Mark me." I said firmly, "I'm ready."

Gold began to form on the edge of his iris's, showing me that his wolf was clearly agreeing with what I was saying.

"Are you sure? I don't want you to regret it, Elora, it's permanent. Once I mark you, you're stuck with me forever."

I went in and kissed him again, already feeling addicted to the taste of him, "I'm sure."

He kissed me again, this time rougher, not holding anything back. But he kept moving, peppering delicate kisses all along my jawline, pausing and sucking lightly as he went. He slowly moved down my neck, he went harder, leaving more and more kisses. It felt like heaven. A soft moan echoed from the back of my throat and Maddox stopped for a moment. I felt something poking into my leg.

"Keep going, Maddox." I groaned, "I want you to mark me."

I could feel that he was still unsure, almost as if he felt like this was a dream. But he kept going until he reached the crook of my neck. As his lips met the sensitive skin, I shuddered, clenching onto his hair just a little tighter.

"This will hurt, but only for a moment," Maddox whispered, pressing the lightest of kisses on the area.

My eyes rolled back into my head, " Do it."

That was all Maddox needed. His canines came rushing out of his mouth, quickly tearing into my skin and biting down.

He was right, it did hurt.

I clenched my teeth, arching my back as pain courses through my body. It didn't last for long. Within a moment, the pain quickly turned to undeniable pleasure, the feeling itself being enough to keep me satisfied for the rest of my life.

I let out another groan, it was louder this time, I hadn't even realised I had done it until Maddox had given me a growl in return.

His canines slowly slid out, his tongue darting over the area, stopping the bleeding and easing the redness.

I felt my head drop, nuzzling I'm against Maddoxs neck, my hands relaxing.

"You've done that before," I murmured,

His body jerked, "I've never marked someone before dove, only you."

"Could have fooled me." I yawned, "But I meant the other thing."

He snorted, "Kissing? Have you never..."

I shook my head, moving my arms down to rest loosely around his waist.

Maddox smiled and ran his finger along my back in spiral patterns, "I'll do that whenever you want, okay?"

I nodded, "I love you,"

"I love you too," Maddox replied, his voice thick, "Just pull your head back? Marks heal quickly, so I need to check to make sure it's going okay."

I leant back, giving Maddox full view.  He gave a small smile as he ran his finger over it. I felt it again, the overwhelming pleasure that sent my toes curling, it was almost the same feeling as when he had marked me. I sighed.

"Am I going to feel like that every time?" I asked drowsily.

"For the rest of your life." Maddox answered solemnly, nodding his head.

I paused, "I can't mark you, can I?"

Maddox's eyebrows shot up into his hair, " Um, no, you can't. I mean  you could try, but I doubt your teeth could even break the skin, let alone go deep enough for a mark."

"Well that's unfair," I scowled, "You say I'll feel like that every time for the rest of my life! I don't even want to imagine how many times you'll use that to your advantage! And what can I do to you? Nothing."

Maddox laughed, throwing his head back, "Dove, I'm not sure it will be hard foe you to get me to feel that way, even without a mark."

My face went red. I needed to change the conversation.

"How did I manage to be healed so quickly?" I said quickly.

"We had everything removed, it hasn't been in your system to long so that helped. The lack of scarring is because of me. We had you pumped with a little Alpha Blood, that was enough to help everything heal everything quickly. We were just waiting on you to mentally heal before you woke up." Maddox explained.

Suddenly it hit me, KUT, they were still on the large, and they were waiting for the perfect moment to attack. But I had the information, I had the knowledge that could probably prevent thousands of deaths.

"Where are the others?" I asked urgently, my entire mood changes drastically.

"In the waiting room, why?" Maddox inquired nervously, his brows furrowing in concern.

"There's going to be an attack!" I blurted out, "Well, at least, there is going to be an attack. Soon, within the week. Maybe even sooner, especially since I've escaped. I have information, information that may even be able to help. Everyone needs to know."

Maddox paused, I could see the gears whirring in his head, "I'll open a mind link - tell me everything we need to know, Dakota will go make a start with our forces. Do we have time to call in an alliance from the south?"

"I have no idea, but perhaps get someone to warn them that since we're being attacked, they should put up forces, send northern visitors home and close the borders, the leader is wanted down there, Das Willoughby, maybe ask them to see if we can get any more information on him," I said hurriedly. "Everything that was found in the warehouse is being used, and they were relying on a weakened leader, you, by having me in their possession. I was tortured for information about our plans, but nothing was ever given up, so unless we have a mole, I wouldn't say that they don't know too much about our side. 

You had a worker in the palace, his name was Belial?" I look of knowing came over Maddox's face, so he recognised the name,  "He was working with the. While I was there, they injected me with a silver liquid, vamptonite, I think it was. Anyway, they sent me into a room full of rogues and I managed to fight off every single one. We both know I don't have the physical strength or ability for that. One ended up biting me," I pointed to my leg, covered in crescent-moon scars. "He started foaming at the mouth and died."

"Vamptonite is deadly to wolves," Maddox informed me, his voice low.

"Since it worked with me, It wouldn't surprise me if they injected other members with it in hopes of an easier defeat. Do you have antidotes for it?"

Maddox shook his head, "None, but we have a few medicines that can help repel it or delay its effects. And regular wolves are stronger than rogues. So that should probably help us."

"Maddox," I began lightly, "You need to be careful, these people want a rebellion, a full change in power, and they're not playing around. In order for that to happen, they need to kill you. Promise me, promise me, that you will stay safe."

His hand palmed my cheek, "I can't, dove I'm sorry but I can't promise that. I'll be in battle, whenever this happens, I'll be fighting alongside my people. But you can become Queen should anything happen to me, that's still your right-"

"That's not an option Maddox, tell me that you will be careful." I demanded roughly.

He stared at me for a moment, his face went soft as he sighed. "I promise. I'll be careful,"

I opened my mouth to speak but I was cut off by a scream

It was loud, piercing, and coming from the city.

Then another scream, followed by another, by another, by another.

I stood up and ran to the window.

The city was on fire.

Tall orange flames were rampaging through the streets. I could see people running out of their homes and towards the ocean. Some were being chased and others were engaging in battle with another.

"It's started," I whispered, "Maddox get that information sent out. We can't afford to miss another second!"

Maddox pressed a quick kiss to my lips, "It's already done. Elora, I'm sorry."

"What do you mean-"

He was running, the door slamming shut behind him. I ran up, but the door was locked.

He had locked me in.

He had gone to fight.

I was still for only a moment before my brain began pumping more adrenaline.

If he was going to ignore me, then he should have no problem in me joining him. Clothes had been left on a chair for me to change into, there were no warrior clothes, but they would have to do. I threw off the clothes I had currently been wearing and tugged on the jeans and shirt. I grabbed a hair tie and messily pulled my hair pack into a quick ponytail.

I started pulling out draws, hoping one of them would have something that I could use. Finally, I found my dagger, sealed in a plastic bag.

I pulled it out and held it sturdily in my hands. I raced back to the door and shoved the blade into the keyhole, turning and twisting it until I heard a satisfying click.

The door swung open.

It was time to go.

I began to run, letting the slow ache in my muscles power me to go faster. Everything was empty, most likely having patients locked carefully in their rooms with a nurse or doctor if need be, the rest had gone to fight. 

I followed the signs until I had reached the lobby. I opened up the glass door and in turn, opening myself up to the reality. Not what I had seen through the window, the reality.

A Battlefield.

And I was running into it.

It was easy to know who was a human and who was a wolf, most wolves being already shifted by now, but just in their looks. I was on a rampage, my dagger slicing through countless bodies as I made my way through the city, figuring that if Das was going to be anywhere, he would be in the City Center.

I felt a sharp jab in my heart every single time someone fell to the floor from my hand. But I continued, Just like Belial, I told myself, they want to kill the wolves. 

It was strange to think about a world whose hierarchy didn't focus around wolves, but the moment you sat down and really thought about it, the humans couldn't rule. In the end, we are too weak. How would we deal with rogue attacks and other invasions if we had all our wolves enslaved? I didn't believe in the treatment of humans, the constant abuse and terror that they lived their lives in, it had once been me. But a human should never lead a world of humans who had wolves enslaved for their every demand. It just wouldn't work.

So I kept going, the idea of a world with Das as my leader echoing in my mind, taking over as my reason for doing this, the reason I stormed out, the reason I knew held a weapon in my hands.

I didn't want to think about Maddox. I didn't even want to spare a thought on where he may be, or how injured. I was marked now, so I would know. I'm not sure if I feel all his injuries or be able to find him just off a feeling, I was marked now, that didn't mean I wasn't still human.

I didn't want to think about him, I didn't want to worry.

I needed to keep going.

I wasn't alone, people around me were battling as well, graciously darting from foot to foot as to avoid the slow-burning flames.

Before I even realised, I was standing in the city centre.

Das was perched on the edge of a fountain, looking down as his terror filled the city. Das's lackeys - all of Belials brothers were void from sight, most likely off fighting. He had prisoners tied up on a wooden block, hanging upside down the way I had when I was being tortured.

My heart stopped when I saw them.

All hanging next to each other were Verity, Haven and Faith.

I hadn't seen them in so long, not since I had left for the south. Had I even said a proper goodbye? I could barely remember now. I loved Zina, Peyton and Callie. But those three girls had been the closest thing I had ever been able to call a friend in my entire life.

They had helped me before I even began to break to Maddox.

And now they were hanging there, terrified, pale, but very much alive.

I stood up straighter, a new feeling rushing through me.

"This is over Das!" I called out, grabbing his attention immediately. "Call in your troops and surrender yourself!"

He gave me a toothy grin, "This isn't over. It's only just begun."

And with those words, he pulled a dagger, similar to the one in my hand at this very moment and threw it with all the force he could muster.

For a moment I thought he had aimed at me, and I watched the dagger fly,

I watched it pierce Verity's chest.

---------------------------------------------------

Thanks for 11k!

Remember to vote and comment!

See you in the next chapter,

Eryn

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

342K 8.8K 44
At just eighteen, Anna Kilmer finds herself trapped in a continuous loop of forced prostitution and abusive treatment, unaware of how to get out. Tha...
2.8M 75.7K 73
Family problems were something Sasha had become accustomed to. An Alpha werewolf mate was something she was definitely not accustomed to. Sasha is a...
125K 1.8K 9
I felt the bed dip as he sat down on the other side but I focused solely on my task until I was done. "This is a pillow barrier. Meaning, you don't b...
9.1M 255K 54
Highest Rank: #3 in werewolf THE LAST 15 CHAPTERS WILL BE TAKEN DOWN FEB. 1, 2019 DUE TO THIS BOOK BEING PUBLISHED IN MARCH. He looks over everyone...