The Traitor of Inlustris

By rose-crowned

As a new queen rises to power, the kings of Caeleste grow unrest. The Inlustris in their sights, they send an... More

FOREWORD
DEDICATION
NULLA
Part I
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
Part II
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
Part III
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XL
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
Part IV
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
Part V
LVIII
LIX
LX
LXI
LXII
LXIII
LXIV
LXV
LXVI
LXVII
LXVIII
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

XXXIX

39 4 0
By rose-crowned

Transforming myself back to Ella, the Bleeder, I replayed my own speech over and over again in my head. I hoped that everyone listened to my message and were now setting their sights on the kings instead. However, I feared a retaliation on King Rasmus' part. He was the most adept at media handling than any royal.

No matter, I had to keep moving forward. Dwelling in the what if's and the endless possibilities ahead was more destructive than a war. I had a goal, and I had to reach it, not stay in a toxic cycle of overthinking.

I threw my brume projector and my mirror back into my bag, and shouldered it, ready to find the Bleeders once more. Facing the vast amount of trees, I paled, realizing I had no idea where to go. In my rush, I simply ran towards cover and made no mental notes on how to get out.

The silence of the forest was terrifying. I crouched by a tree, trying to level my breathing to come up with a plan. I couldn't just wander off into the unknown. The possibility of encountering guards with the power to discover my true identity was high on the streets. If I came face to face with King Rasmus' hounds, I would be no more. But if the Bleeders believed I escaped them, then I'd most certainly meet my end too.

In a split decision, I walked through the trees, trying to find the correct direction to where I originally came from. But everything looked the same. Countless trees leading to nowhere. I grunted, throwing my hands in the air.

This was a moment to relish my speech, not get lost in the forest of Fortis Crystallum.

I kicked at the base of a tree, frowning as nothing happened. I peered up at its large branches that seemed to reach out to the sky.

"Ella!" I heard.

I whipped my head towards the voice. I saw nothing but more trees.

"Ella!" This time I discerned the Bleeders' voices intermingling. They were searching for me.

"Where are you?" Adonis called out.

"Over here," I said.

Their voices stopped, but soon I heard their footsteps getting closer.

Soon enough, the Bleeders walked through the trees towards me. They all released a breath once they located me.

"What happened to you?" Herc scolded. I pouted as I made my way to them. "We were going crazy looking for you. You're lucky no one got to you."

"Guards were following me, so I ran," I lied. "I'm sorry."

"You missed Queen Antonella addressing the land," Marisole called out. A smirk adorned her face, and I fought to swallow down my chuckle.

"What did she say?"

"This is not a time to chat. We need to keep moving," Herc interrupted.

"Are you alright?" Adonis asked, taking one of my hands.

"I'm fine." I smiled at him.

"Well, even though you scared us for the thousandth time," Herc started, walking up to me and making both Adonis and I separate, "you still managed to make your way to the border of Validus Fulgur, so you can thank Gracious you didn't make us waste any time."

He pushed past me, almost knocking me down. I grabbed his arm back and forced him to look at me.

"Herc, for your sake, don't try me."

I let him go and walked to Marisole. She sported a comical shocked face.

"Ella, you don't know where I come from. I have more experience in killing than you could ever imagine." He tried to sound threatening, but it didn't faze me.

"Oh, Herc," I laughed, "shall we go find the boss now?"

We trudged through the forest, staying low and watching our steps. I decided it was best to stay quiet and not call more attention to myself. I didn't need more reasons for the Bleeders to loathe me.

The water I had sensed back in the clearing came into view. It glittered with the light of the vermiculo. The hue shifted to a light red as the vermiculo started to set. It was as if rubies littered the river.

Herc dove right in, creating a path for us to follow, in order to cross to Validus Fulgur. Kora jumped from side to side, splashing water around in her way. Orion looked like he wanted to pluck Kora out of the water and flick her into the sky. He got the splashes all over him as he crossed behind her. Gaia stayed closer to me and Marisole, holding Jax upright through the river. Her body was tense and guarded. I figured it had to do with trying to keep Jax safe from the currents. Adonis stayed behind all us, keeping watch of our backs.

We crossed the river, but Herc didn't bother to check up on us. He led us deeper into the forest of Validus Fulgur, ripping out vines from the pathway. The sky turned a deeper red, threatening to stop us from our trek.

"We need to move faster if we want to find Bachus tonight," Herc told us.

So we quickened our pace, which wasn't easy on Jax. He grunted and panted all the way out of the forest. At last, when the sky turned a deep blue, he complained about the pain in his leg. I bit my lip and slowly flicked my wrist behind my back, willing the arrow wound to go down in inflammation. Obviously, it wouldn't heal, but Jax would feel better for the night.

The last thing anyone needed was to continuously hear Jax complain for hours.

"Adonis, Gaia," Herc called out. "Lead the way. This is your home."

Adonis walked to the front, throwing a teasing smirk my way. I rolled my eyes. Gaia waved Herc off, pointing to Jax who needed her more. Herc nodded and walked back, trading his place with Adonis.

Before long, we were walking the streets of Validus Fulgur, a kingdom I never liked. They relished brutality, and they were passionate about it. Unlike the Jubarens, the Fulgurians were more strategic and studied how to fight. That was why their army was the strongest in the land, and the biggest threat to Potentia Flamber.

Torches lined the streets, casting an orange glow on everyone walking around. No one questioned why we were there, too busy with their own lives. Men and women went to and fro, some seemed intoxicated while others were sharp and focused with each other. They were normal, but they had a pinch of ferocity that was particular to Fulgurians, much like Adonis.

I was shocked to know that Gaia was from there, but then again, as a blessed babe, she was an outlier.

Adonis continued leading us deeper into the kingdom. I recognized the main street immediately as we turned to it. The marble statue of the late King Edrik stood tall and proud right in the middle, creating a circle driveway for raedas. The buildings were well-lit. The street was alive.

It was so unlike Solennes Jubar.

We walked up to a tavern. I was about to read the name of the business, but Marisole pulled me inside as Adonis held the door. I was surrounded by mostly men as they drank, laughed, and had a good time.

Herc took the lead once again, walking past people as if he owned the place. I followed, trying to keep upright as people got in the middle of my way. Marisole walked in front of me as the path narrowed, so I chose to follow her steps, doing whatever she did. As always.

"Bachus," Herc said. I stopped behind Marisole and Orion. I saw Bachus chugging a glass of whiskey before turning to us. He was as wild as I remembered. Wearing a wrinkled tee with khaki shorts, that man clearly didn't care about making an impression.

"Ah! Look at that. My favorite Bleeders." He threw his arms up. The men around him watched us with intrigue. "You see them?" He turned to them. "They get the job done, so we can make our deals."

The businessmen smirked, some even clapped on his back.

"You got what I need?" Bachus directed to Herc. In response, he gave him the pouch carrying the insigne. Like last time, he felt the content inside before grinning. "What did I tell ya?" He looked back at the men.

"Bleeders, you gotta be careful now. A war has been declared in the land. Soldiers might take your sleeping spots to creep up on their enemies."

"Noted," Herc said. "Anything else?"

I grew impatient as the conversation kept going on and on. The topic of war had gone stale for me. I knew it was a big part of life now, especially mine, but I didn't need to be reminded of it every waking second of my life. I needed to make my own moves.

"Things are tough now. Queen Antonella is putting up a fight. Poor kid. I hope she doesn't get brutally murdered," some man said from the back.

"Oh, you're just saying that 'cause you're attracted to her. That girl grew up well." Another pretended to cup invisible breasts.

I grimaced at the older men laughing. Every single cell of my being wanted to throw them into the air and burn them, but I contained myself. I just wished men would stop thinking that talking about women as if they were objects or prizes was alright. It was disturbing and quite disgusting.

Surely I was more than my breasts.

"Hey, newbie!" Bachus called over. I snapped my head in his direction. Everyone turned to me. He beckoned me forward with his two fingers. "Get over here, you. We still have to get to know one another."

"I'm Ella. That's as much as you're gonna get."

The men oohed, slapping Bachus on the back and grinning from ear to ear.

"Ella, Ella, Ella," Bachus repeated. "There's something about you that captivates me."

"I'm hoping it's not in a creepy way." I grimaced and stared at the other side. Herc cleared his throat beside me.

"For a Flamber, you do have some fight. Doesn't she?" He looked back at his business partners. They nodded. Their eyes raked over me, making me feel uncomfortable.

How I wished Herc would take over. Even if it meant a long speech about not disrespecting the boss. I wanted to get out of there and find what I wanted in Validus Fulgur.

"Hey, Bachus, there she is," one of the men said, hitting his shoulder and pointing. I followed his finger.

A pretty lady walked through the crowd in the tightest black dress I had ever seen. It marked every curve and dip of her body. Her makeup was done to further accentuate her beauty. Her honey-blonde hair flowed down her back in soft waves. She looked like she came straight from a beauty salon. But why would she get ready like that for an unpleasant pub?

"That's King Oskar's mistress."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.5K 1.9K 46
Niccola is a demi-queen undercover in enemy territory. Her little sister went missing seven moons ago, but one lead remains: a picture of a woman's f...
11.7K 5.3K 37
Unknown to the average human world, there is a place where every supernatural being that fuels nightmares resides. Shielded completely from prying ey...
249 13 11
Character Description and Aesthetic Contest prompts: โ€ขFantasy: In a kingdom of elemental magic, you gain the ability to control all four elements...
86 17 22
Darkness is coming... In the realm of Zemlja, four kingdoms-Apparatori, Eirineftes, Krigere, and Lucis-isolated a fifth with Wards strong enough to w...