Discover L (Book 2) | Complet...

Od EscapeInFiction

~~•~~ Sequel to Unknown L ~~•~~ "Are they alive, or not?" After surviving the battle of her life, things see... Více

Author's Note
~ Bad Feeling ~
~ Full Of Surprises ~
~ Ready, Set, No ~
~~ Ready, Set, No ~~
~ Puppet Master ~
~ A Problem Shared ~
~~ A Problem Shared ~~
~ Goblin Grief ~
~~ Goblin Grief ~~
~ Search And Rescue ~
~ It's Your Lucky Day ~
~~ It's Your Lucky Day ~~
~~~ It's Your Lucky Day ~~~
~ Cold Hard Truth ~
~~ Cold Hard Truth ~~
~ A Bit Too Easy ~
~~ A Bit Too Easy ~~
~ Trick Or Troll ~
~~ Trick Or Troll ~~
~ First Impressions Are Lasting ~
~~ First Impressions Are Lasting ~~
~~~ First Impressions Are Lasting ~~~
~ Patience Is A Virtue ~
~~ Patience Is A Virtue ~~
~~~ Patience Is A Virtue ~~~
~ Elves Are Stupid ~
~~ Elves Are Stupid ~~
~ Away With The Fairies ~
~~ Away With The Fairies ~~
~ Minding Their Own Business ~
~~ Minding Their Own Business ~~
~~~ Minding Their Own Business ~~~
~ It's Better This Way ~
~~ It's Better This Way ~~
~~~ It's Better This Way ~~~
~~~~ It's Better This Way ~~~~
~ What Fresh Hell Is This? ~
~~ What Fresh Hell Is This? ~~
~~~ What Fresh Hell Is This? ~~~
~ Hoodwinked ~
~~ Hoodwinked ~~
~ Together Again ~
~ Pass The Blame ~
~~ Pass The Blame ~~
~~~ Pass The Blame ~~~
~ Denial ~
~~ Denial ~~
~~~ Denial ~~~
~ The Last Keeper ~
~ Epilogue ~

~~~ Cold Hard Truth ~~~

25 4 0
Od EscapeInFiction

While Bryce caught Robbie up on what just happened, L focused on the vision and where it would take them. The next scene in the vision found L's parents trekking up a mountainous hillside; their thick, arctic style coats covered in snow and yet more was falling over them while L watched. They trudged towards a small village, the houses of which looked to have been built to withstand the weather they were being pelted with; sturdy, stone buildings with triangular roofs.

L's parents seemed to be heading for the biggest building in the village, a frosted sign over the door showed a picture of two flagons. The moment L's mum forced the door open, they were blasted with a wave of heat and music. They made their way inside the pub, to be greeted by drunken merriment, apparently the whole village had gathered to get out of the cold.

They were welcomed multiple times on their way towards the bar, it didn't seem to matter that they were strangers or that they trailed melting snow across the floor. The bartender asked for their drinks, the Nordic language translated exactly as the Supernatural ones had. L's parents took their drinks when served and searched for an empty booth. They sat and drank in silence, their expressions were sullen and not even the upbeat atmosphere around them could change it.

"If we don't find help here, I don't know what we'll do." L's mum finally said after several minutes.

"We keep looking, we can't have exhausted every option." L's dad tried to sound hopeful, but his heart just wasn't in it.

"No, but we're exhausting ourselves. It's been months now and we're still no closer than when we left." She leaned in and lowered her voice, "I say, we go back for L and take her on the run, we could do that."

"And what kind of life would she have? She'd never be free to be a child, she'd be constantly looking over her shoulder, worrying, that's no way for anyone to live."

"I know, it's just... I miss her, I want her back, Simon. I want to hold her and cuddle her, and be her mummy."

Tears fell down her cheeks and L felt her own spill out, she didn't bother to wipe them as more would only follow. She felt Bryce's arm around her and she leaned into him but didn't look away from her parents. Her dad reached out a hand and held her mum's face, wiping at the tears with his thumb.

"I know you do and I want that too, but this way means she's safe. If we can't find help, from anywhere or anyone, then we'll have to rethink our plan. Going back for L may become our best and only option, but until then we have to think about her safety first. I hate to be away from her but I couldn't bear the thought of losing her forever."

L's mum sniffled but she nodded, taking a swig of her drink. L watched her dad wipe at his own eyes, their conversation had affected him just as much. L let her own tears fall, despite her being the one they left, she felt her heart break for them. The decision to leave her was still as painful as the day they'd made it, they'd broken themselves just to keep her from getting hurt. L had always wanted to know what it had been like for them; she'd known for some time now why they did it, but not what the aftermath had been.

She wanted to hug them, to tell them she was there and she was okay. She wanted to tell them that they'd made the right decision, that it was alright. But she couldn't, mostly because of the vision but partly because she wasn't sure if she truly believed it. Was it really the right decision when she looked back at her life? Would she have preferred to be with her parents and be in danger, than to grow up safe but alone? She knew the answer in her heart, but she could never say it out loud.

She could see the hurt the decision had caused her parents, the impossible situation they were in. She couldn't say if she would have done the same thing had she been the one to make the call. She couldn't blame them for what they chose, but at the same time she couldn't entirely forgive them for leaving her. And that's where the tears thickened, her heart ached and she let it out in a wrenching sob. Bryce's arm tightened around her and for the moment, L didn't care about the vision, or Sully or the Jötnar, wherever they were.

She couldn't control the hurt, the anger and the futility of everything she felt. The vision stopped moving in front of them and all that could be heard were L's sobs. Nobody tried to stop her or calm her, Bryce held her and Robbie looked like he wanted to say something, but they all knew there was nothing they could say to her that would change how she felt or make her feel better.

They let her ride out her anguish in near silence, Bryce rubbed L's arm and L was grateful to have him there. Several minutes passed like this until she finally felt her emotions starting to calm. They would never really go away but she could feel a weight starting to lift. Admitting to herself that she was still angry at her parents, that she was still hurt they'd left her despite knowing everything, it felt like an odd sort of relief.

L took a few deep, steadying breaths, she wiped at her eyes and nose, earning a light chuckle from Robbie. He was smiling sadly when she looked up at him.

"Not sure Keeper clothes were designed to withstand snot."

L felt the corners of her mouth tug up, it wasn't a smile but it was as close as she'd get for now.

"Are you alright?" Bryce asked, his voice laced with worry.

L nodded, glancing up at him, "I think so, it's just overwhelming, that's all. My emotions got the better of me but I'm okay, we can keep going."

L said the last part louder and the Jötnar resumed the vision without a word. L stared at her parents, drinking away their sorrows, though their eyes were now scanning the bar intently.

"This is the place Adrian said, isn't it? I don't hear anyone telling stories of Giants now."

The sniffle was still audible in L's dad's voice, which he quickly tried to cough away.

"Yes, he said the stories were told not two nights ago. Someone was in here boasting about seeing a Frost Giant in the mountains. It's not the first time stories have come out of this area either."

"One is likely to be living close by then, it must be one of the last still awake. We need to find out who claimed they saw it." 

The pub was rowdy, filled with music and raucous chattering, even L struggled to differentiate between the voices and what they were talking about. The door to the pub opened minutes later and a figure in a thick, white coat traipsed in. Nobody batted an eyelid at yet another newcomer, and L's parents were too busy searching for the sound of Frost Giant gossip. L's dad got up to grab another round of drinks, and in his absence the newcomer to the pub decided to make themselves at home in his seat.

L's mum looked ready to tell them it was taken when the words escaped her, she made a face like she could smell something bad and she backed up out of the booth. She knocked into someone but they just ignored her and pushed on by. L's mum didn't take her eyes off of the stranger, her face was twisted in contempt and L understood why. She could also smell that scent and her face twisted in anger and concern.

"You'd leave now if you knew what was good for you." L's mum threatened, her hands flexed and thick claws formed from her fingertips.

The stranger cackled from under their hood, "I don't think so, you and your partner will be coming with us."

"Us?" L's mum turned around in alarm, it soon became clear there was more wrong in this bar than they knew.

Half of the pub's occupants turned towards L's mum, leering menacingly at her, not a drunken stumble in sight; they hadn't been what they first appeared.

"Blasted Demons!" L's mum cursed.

L's heart began to quicken, there had to be at least a dozen Demons in that bar and all of them had to be higher level hybrids. It was just her parents against all of that, trapped inside the pub while the snow fell thick and fast outside. L's dad suddenly sped over to stand beside his wife, he also had claws now and in one hand he held a weapon the Menehune had given them.

"How did we not sense them?" L's mum muttered, kicking herself as she placed her back to her husband's.

"We were distracted. Don't worry, we won't make that mistake again."

"No, because you won't get the chance," the Demon sitting in the booth declared in a smug voice.

It moved to stand up and lowered its hood, a red face and black beady eyes glared at them with a look of triumph. The music suddenly died and the rest of the pub broke away, running for the door without bothering to grab their coats. Surprisingly the Demons let them go, their only goal seemed to be making sure they detained L's parents.

"Frallica would like a word before she kills you, it's taken her so long to get to this point."

"I'd say we're sorry to disappoint Frallica, but we're not, she won't be getting her grubby hands on us anytime soon." L's mum retorted, and before the Demon could utter its response they flew into action.

L watched her parents jump, attack and deflect their way around the pub. They were like two sides of the same sword, using each others abilities to get results and soon the Demons were dropping like flies. L was struck with the awe of their prowess, they didn't waver and barely received a blow in return. Moments later there were only three Demons left, including the smug, beady eyed one, and all three were panting. 

L's parents stood side by side, both were grinning casually and L's dad twirled the axe in his hand.

"You should have brought more reinforcements, did you think you could take us so easily?"

The smug Demon snarled, not so smug anymore, "We're not done yet."

And without warning it lunged for them, the other Demons followed and the fighting resumed. L watched in fascination as her parents cut through the Demons, her dad received a nick to his face and her mum was hit in the side by an elongated limb, but that was the extent of the injuries. Soon they were standing over the last Demon, sword and claws at its throat.

"My wife warned you to leave and you did not listen. Your kind continue to pursue us and keep getting killed, I would think you'd have learned your lesson by now."

"You'll get yours one day, Keeper," the Demon spat.

L's mum slashed at its throat, severing its head and reducing it to a pile of black ash.

"Apparently not," L's mum rolled her eyes.

They both did a sweep of the pub, looking for signs of anymore Demons. Satisfied there weren't any, they sat back down in their booths and stared around at the piles of ash and goo.

"We need to be more careful, we're letting our guard down too much."

L's dad nodded, "We'll do better, but let's get out of here before someone comes to investigate."

"What about the stories? The Giant?"

"I think I can help with that," a voice came from the doorway- an unexpected, familiar voice.

L's parents didn't appear to think so, they were armed and ready in turning to face the stranger. He pulled his hood down quickly and held up his hands, L's eyes grew wide and she heard Robbie gasp. Standing in front of L's parents was a snow covered Sully, looking exactly as he did today, with a slight smirk to his expression.

"Woah there, I'm not a Demon, nor a threat to the pair of ye. I'm here, because we heard word you're looking for a Frost Giant."

L's parents didn't relax at his words, they eyed him suspiciously.

"And if we are?"

"Well, he'd like to meet ye now, find out why you've been looking for him."

"How do we know this isn't a trick?"

Sully grinned and shrugged, "You don't, but if I'm lying then I'm pretty sure you two could reap a heap of trouble on me. I don't know anyone, Leprechaun or no, who'd risk that for a prank. So, what's it gonna be?" 

L's parents exchanged a glance, what did they have to lose at this point? L assumed that was their train of thought because they rushed to grab their things and follow Sully out into the cold. The scene sped up from there, they watched L's parents follow Sully into the mountains. He took them inside a cave and they ended up in the same caverns L, Robbie and Bryce had entered through. There were no Wyvern around this time, but they did encounter the Jötnar's alter ego.

He let them hear the conversation in the vision. The Jötnar told L's parents to go home and forget their quest. That Frost Giants weren't around for their amusement or as a trophy kill. L's parents took offence to that, refusing to leave until they got the answers they were looking for. The Jötnar threatened to end them if they didn't leave, and still they refused. L could see a pattern emerging but she kept it to herself, watching her parents pass the Jötnar's test and his subsequent transformation.

They settled their outrage fairly quickly and wound up in the very same living room. L's mum and dad told the Jötnar and Sully everything, about L and Frallica, and their struggle to find a solution. They asked for the Jötnar's help, in much the same way they'd asked the Jinn, the Menehune and the many others. They were fair begging by the end, and L was staring between them and the Jötnar.

His expression was unreadable, there was no way of knowing what he was thinking. The seconds ticked by in silence, L's parents looked between themselves, Sully and the Jötnar, they didn't seem to know which way this was going anymore than L did.

When the Jötnar finally spoke, it was slow and deliberate.

"I cannot tell you who instigated this prophecy, nor can I help you with your Demon problem. I've been dozing recently, my powers aren't what they used to be and it is not my battle."

L watched her parents faces fall, it was heartbreaking to see. L was ready to start punching the Jötnar for putting her through this vision for nothing, when his face began to light up, it was almost glowing with excitement.

"But!" He began and L's parents' despair faltered. "I may have a way you can receive the help you seek. It's going to be extremely dangerous and I cannot guarantee your survival. But if you do survive, you will find the aid you need."

"What? What is it?"

"Are you certain you want to know? You could still return from this quest, retrieve your daughter and live out the remainder of your lives together."

L's parents stared, they looked momentarily reluctant and glanced at each other. They'd weighed it up many times, L knew that now and they struggled constantly but, they had made up their minds.  

"No, we have to do whatever we can, no matter how dangerous. We know it's the best thing for our baby to live her life freely."

"Tell us what we have to do."

The scene slowly faded on the image of L's parents hopeful faces, they were back in the present, in the Jötnar's living room. The vision had ended and L was staring wide eyed at the Jötnar, who was looking at her with sympathy and intrigue.

"What happened? Where's the rest?"

The Jötnar sat up straighter, "The end of the vision contains the details needed to follow your parents. I will tell you that part myself, but you must comprehend how dangerous this will be. Are you certain you want to continue? Your parents may have sent the journal for you to find them, but this was before whatever befell them. They may not think the same way now."

L pondered that for a moment, not that it really mattered, she'd come too far and they still needed her. They were trapped, or worse, and she had to know their fates.

"I'm still going, tell me what comes next."

The Jötnar nodded, he gestured a hand and a small picture appeared out of nowhere, almost like a tv screen. It showed L's parents sitting in this very room, talking with the Jötnar and Sully. L could see them and their reactions but she couldn't hear what was being said.

"The answer I had for them, involves travel to a terrible place, fraught with danger. If you follow, I can't guarantee you'll return either, I cannot even be sure you will find your parents there... not after all this time."

L knew what he was trying to say, but she was determined, nothing would change that. "It's no different to the rest of my life, please just tell me."

The Jötnar sighed, "As you wish. There is a land not of this world, it is cruel and dangerous, home to creatures that make Demons look like kittens. It is a place of unique magic and also death, Paguea is its name. I hoped never to speak it again... be that as it may, there is a creature there who may have been able to help your parents. It is called the Jadavah, it holds the power to grant a single wish, with no strings attached, should the recipient be worthy.

"However, I warned your parents it would be far from easy, the terrain of the land would be harsh enough. Not to mention, the only way to reach the other land is with a potion, one that will transport the drinker... and only one species possesses the recipe, it is a closely guarded secret. The request would not be taken lightly, the Elves will not give it without a lot of blustering and smoke blowing."

L rolled her eyes, glancing to Bryce who looked stunned.

"Of course they would have it," L commented, imagining her parents having to go back and ask the Elves for a favour after their last encounter. "Have you heard of any of this?" L asked Bryce.

He shook his head, "No, I don't know anything about a different land or this Jadavah, but my kind have the potion that will take us to L's parents?"

The Jötnar nodded, "Yes, and you will have to discuss the criteria for getting it from them, with them. It is as I told your parents, L. I know your journey has been troublesome thus far but it's about to get exponentially worse, should you take this path."

L stared at the screen, her parents were alone, apparently they'd finished talking and were leaning over something. L sat forward to see what they were doing after such an intense conversation, and was suddenly hit with a startling revelation.

"My parents organised a vision for me here, didn't they? The one they put in the journal, now I know why I recognise this room."

The Jötnar smiled, "Yes, they did. Once I told them everything, they wanted to install a contingency plan should they fail. They asked that I make sure the journal find its way to you, but not before you were ready."

L blinked back her surprise, feeling a few pieces of her life-puzzle fit into place in the back of her mind.

"So, are you really going to venture off to the dangerous land?" Sully asked, speaking for the first time in what felt like ages.

L's brow furled, she watched her parents casual behaviour for a moment and eventually nodded. "I am, they would do the same for me and I have to know what happened to them."

She turned her head to Bryce and Robbie, who were standing either side of her. "But I will go alone, I don't expect you two to come with me now we know what we're dealing with. It's too dangerous."

They both shared an incredulous look, before turning back to L.

"You're kidding, right?"

"Of course we're still coming with you, if anything you need us with you now more than ever." Robbie retorted, looking at L as though she'd lost her mind.

"But you heard what he said, we might not come back." L stated as though it was almost certain.

"And we'll have more chance to prove that wrong if we're together. We're coming, end of story." Bryce said it all with an air of finality, and Robbie nodded along.

L could have argued, made them see it was a bad idea but she knew it was a waste of time. Instead, she turned back to the Jötnar.

"Tell me exactly what I need to do."

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

124 1 4
Okay, so I'm really bad at descriptions so here's my attempt at a small summary: Basically the protagonist of this story is searching for her friends...
941 77 10
Different is the story of a girl who was born half vampire and half werewolf. Her whole life she has been running away from vampires on the hunt for...
223K 18.2K 45
As usual, I'm up to my eyeballs in trouble. With the fate of mankind hanging in the balance, I'm on a new mission to stop the Dark Ones from unleashi...