Discover L (Book 2) | Complet...

By EscapeInFiction

~~•~~ Sequel to Unknown L ~~•~~ "Are they alive, or not?" After surviving the battle of her life, things see... More

Author's Note
~ Bad Feeling ~
~ Full Of Surprises ~
~ Ready, Set, No ~
~~ Ready, Set, No ~~
~ Puppet Master ~
~ A Problem Shared ~
~~ A Problem Shared ~~
~ Goblin Grief ~
~~ Goblin Grief ~~
~ Search And Rescue ~
~ It's Your Lucky Day ~
~~ It's Your Lucky Day ~~
~~~ It's Your Lucky Day ~~~
~ Cold Hard Truth ~
~~~ Cold Hard Truth ~~~
~ A Bit Too Easy ~
~~ A Bit Too Easy ~~
~ Trick Or Troll ~
~~ Trick Or Troll ~~
~ First Impressions Are Lasting ~
~~ First Impressions Are Lasting ~~
~~~ First Impressions Are Lasting ~~~
~ Patience Is A Virtue ~
~~ Patience Is A Virtue ~~
~~~ Patience Is A Virtue ~~~
~ Elves Are Stupid ~
~~ Elves Are Stupid ~~
~ Away With The Fairies ~
~~ Away With The Fairies ~~
~ Minding Their Own Business ~
~~ Minding Their Own Business ~~
~~~ Minding Their Own Business ~~~
~ It's Better This Way ~
~~ It's Better This Way ~~
~~~ It's Better This Way ~~~
~~~~ It's Better This Way ~~~~
~ What Fresh Hell Is This? ~
~~ What Fresh Hell Is This? ~~
~~~ What Fresh Hell Is This? ~~~
~ Hoodwinked ~
~~ Hoodwinked ~~
~ Together Again ~
~ Pass The Blame ~
~~ Pass The Blame ~~
~~~ Pass The Blame ~~~
~ Denial ~
~~ Denial ~~
~~~ Denial ~~~
~ The Last Keeper ~
~ Epilogue ~

~~ Cold Hard Truth ~~

36 5 2
By EscapeInFiction

The scene opened to a different airport, L's parents were rushing through the crowds of people to collect their luggage. They looked well rested and determined, navigating their way through the airport with ease until they were outside. It was scorching hot, the sun was beaming down on them the moment they stepped outside, but they didn't seem to notice. They headed for a short, dark haired man standing beside a shiny black car.

He wore a white shirt and beige trousers, his skin was tan and appeared to be cracked, despite looking as young as L's parents. L was surprised to realise he was an earth Elemental; it was unusual to find them standing out in the open like this, they preferred solitude. He even had a welcoming smile on his face when he saw L's parents, he stepped forward to shake their hands.

"Greetings, Kaf, I hope you're well." L's dad spoke quietly, stowing their bags in the boot.

"I am, thank you. How are you doing, all things considered?" His accent was light, as though he didn't spend much time in his home country.

"We are... coping." L's mum responded. "Are we ready to go?"

"Yes, of course." Kaf gestured towards the car and the three of them climbed in, L's dad took the passenger seat while her mum took the back seat.

L rolled her eyes but didn't say a word as they watched the car begin to drive away. The scene didn't change however, instead they were automatically whisked into the back seat of the car. Somehow, L, Bryce and Robbie managed to fit in the back- though considering they weren't really there, it wasn't much of a feat. But L was sitting next to her mum, she was so close she could feel her body heat, see the flecks in her brown eyes.

L wanted to touch her, to lean in and nestle into her side, to feel her holding L while she talked. But that wouldn't happen, and L needed to push away these fantasies or risk missing something crucial.

"The Jinn are anxious to meet you, it has been some time since they have been in contact with a Keeper." Kaf spoke without looking away from the road.

"Yes, well the next time will last forever if they can't help us." L's mum remarked.

L almost laughed, it was interesting to know her mum had a touch of the pessimist about her.

"If they can't help us, we still have other options." L's dad reminded her with a smile, L got the impression he usually attempted to brighten her mood.

It seemed to help. she smiled back at him and nodded, it didn't reach her eyes but she looked hopeful.

"Do you know what assistance they require in return, Kaf?"

"I do not, they would only speak of it with you. Si, I have to advise you to be careful in your dealings with the Jinn. If you ask too much, they will hold that debt and that is something you do not want, my friend."

"If they have a way to save our daughter then we'll do whatever it takes." His voice was level, unwavering.

L's dad didn't hesitate, nor did he look up from papers he now had resting on his lap. He spoke as though it was a given, it didn't take any thinking about and that it should have been obvious they'd do anything to keep her safe. L felt her chest swell, it was a feeling she wasn't quite sure she could identify.

Her dad's confidence was so palpable, Kaf didn't question him again and took to explaining how the meeting with the Jinn would work. They would take an offering of food or water, explain why they were there and the Jinn would deliberate whether they could help. It was nothing L didn't already know, Keepers had some prior knowledge of the Jinn; a species of creatures known for granting special favours to those they deemed worthy- or those they could get something equally worthy from in return.

L assumed her parents knew all of this as well, but they let Kaf explain, he seemed to need something to talk about. They drove for hours, gradually leaving civilisation behind and heading for the desert, moments later they left the car in favour of three camels that looked to be waiting for them. It wasn't until L got close that she realised they were tethered to the ground.

Kaf must have manipulated the earth to hold their reins in place until he returned. L's parents and Kaf wasted no time, they climbed onto their camels and began their ride into the desert. The scene abruptly changed, they were suddenly standing inside a tent of considerable size; decorated in rich colours, the ground scattered with cushions of silk and golden platters of half eaten fruit. L stared around at the lavish setting they laid on solely for meetings, it was a little too flashy in her opinion. At any other time, the Jinn would live by more modest means, L would have preferred that.

L's parents were kneeling on a cushion, they both looked fairly comfortable in their surroundings, meanwhile Kaf stood to the side looking particularly nervous. Opposite them were three hooded creatures in dark clothing, their skin was mottled grey and their thin bodies looked frail beneath their layered garments. That didn't fool L and wouldn't fool her parents, the Jinn were powerful and ancient. Appearances meant nothing in the Supernatural world.

L watched intently as her parents reached forward together and offered up a platter of exotic fruits, as well as some of the more mundane. L had to smile at the tactic of offering something less obvious, fruit the Jinn wouldn't necessarily be used to receiving. That, and the water they offered, seemed to do what they intended.

"Tell us your plight." They spoke as one, the voice was low and monotone.

L could somehow tell they were speaking their own language, yet it automatically translated into English. She wasn't sure if it was her Keeper abilities or the Jötnar doing it, however one look at Robbie's captivated face told her it was the latter.

"We seek your help in finding who foretold the prophecy against the Keepers." L's dad didn't seem to need a translator, he used the dialect as well as any native.

As did L's mum, who quickly followed up his words with their second request. "And we would ask if you know a way we can stop it."

Silence fell in the tent, there were no features to decipher under the hoods of the Jinn but L could tell from a second of fidgeting that they were surprised by the request. A quiet hum sounded from seemingly nowhere, until L realised it was passing between the three Jinn, they were communicating between themselves. Several minutes passed this way until the humming suddenly stopped.

"We do not know who started this prophecy, and we do not know how to stop it. A favour from us would not do what you hope it will."

L watched her parents expressions drop, they sighed in unison.

"That's unfortunate," L's mum rubbed at her eyes. "We thank you for your time." L got the feeling she was stopping anyone from seeing the tears that were brimming.

"What assistance do you require from us before we leave?" L's dad asked, wiping at his glasses and looking resigned.

The Jinn sat up straighter, "You would help us after we failed to help you?"

L's parents exchanged a confused glance. "Of course we would, you need our help, it doesn't matter whether you could help us or not, that's not how this works."

The Jinn began to hum again, L pondered what they could be discussing when Bryce sidled into her line of sight again.

"Your parents are remarkable, L." He stated, staring at them and then L.

"I know," L replied with the widest smile. She felt like she was getting to know so much about them through this vision, personal things unique to them.

It was a Keeper's duty to help the Supernatural community, but that didn't mean they had to do it at every turn. They could have told the Jinn they were too busy and would help at a later date, but they set aside their troubles to help. L felt as if she was starting to see some of herself in their actions, as well as their looks. This was exactly what she'd been doing on this mission, she didn't have to stop in the puppet village and she didn't have to help Móra, but she did and she knew her parents would be proud of her.

The scene went dark and stayed that way for a few moments.

"I decided to skip over the next occurrence," came the voice of the Jötnar. "Your parents helped the Jinn with a Bedouin problem. Nothing that pertains to the story, so we can move ahead."

L was almost glad of the skip, she needed a minute to compose herself after the unexpected wave of emotions she was feeling.

"I'm a little lost, anyway." Robbie started, rubbing his neck as he came to stand in front of L and Bryce. "So, your parents were looking for someone to get rid of the prophecy, or break it, or something?"

L pursed her lips, "I think so, or at least trying to find who started it so they could end it. They figured the only way to keep me safe was to put an end to the prophecy that Frallica was following. But, what I don't understand is why Demons would blindly follow a prophecy against such a powerful race."

"Whoever started it must have been pretty influential, or powerful themselves," said Bryce, his face looked thoughtful. "Otherwise the Demon population would have laughed it off. I think your parents thought the same, that's why they're visiting the species who can grant favours, or those who may have the power to help put an end to this prophecy. With that gone, the Demons would have less motivation to tangle with you. Their end goal is probably to erase its existence, or disprove it, without you getting killed."

Bryce explained, and L found herself agreeing with his train of thought, and her parents' in turn.

Robbie was nodding now, "I get it." He turned back to the blank space in front of them, staring thoughtfully. "I wonder who the other species will be."

No sooner had he spoken those last words than the scene began to form in front of them. They were back at the airport, L's parents looked determined once again and they had a nice tan to accompany their mood.

"Did you manage to get a hold of U'ilani? Is she going to meet us there?" L's mum asked, she was looking through the magazine rack.

"No but I'll keep trying, you know what Nymphs are like with their time keeping."

Where could they possibly be going this time? L watched the two of them pick their magazines, pay the cashier and head towards their designated gate. Their clothes were pristine and neither looked to be sweating in the heat. Kaf was nowhere to be seen, but it appeared they were leaving Saudi Arabia. 

"I hope she's there when we arrive, we can't meet with the Menehune without her."

L's mind rushed with information when her mum uttered the name of the species they were meeting next. They were distant relatives to the Dwarves, though neither species liked to admit to the connection. They shared many characteristics and traditions, though some things were different. The Menehune for instance, had a well documented history that dated back centuries, they also had the ability to see the past through divining the earth- and that's why they were heading to meet these creatures.

L's parents soon arrived on the island of Hawai'i, they took a boat from there and sailed to the island of Lanai. The moment they set foot on the beautiful, white sandy beach, a woman appeared out of the vegetation nearby. Her skin was sea green, her hair the colour of the sand and she wore clothes made of palm fronds. L's parents greeted her as U'ilani, she was exuberant but distracted, they were constantly pulling her concentration back to the conversation.

U'ilani managed to hold it together long enough to take them to their meeting with the Menehune. The outcome was disappointingly similar to the meeting with the Jinn, they couldn't answer where the prophecy came from and their abilities wouldn't be much use in a bid to destroy it. They wished L's parents luck on their quest, even offered them weapons they'd made in anticipation of their arrival.

L's parents took them gratefully and left the island soon after. They still looked determined and took to picking the next species to meet with. The meetings however, went the same way; L's parents made their requests for help, the creatures listened, but none seemed able to help. They exhausted just about every option, even going to the elders of the Aboriginal Australians; humans with the gift to see the Supernatural world. They also have a long and rich history, and some say a connection to the spiritual plain.

L assumed her parents were clutching at straws at this point. Not that it mattered, they couldn't help either and her parents left looking downtrodden and disheartened.

"Two more potential stops and if we don't find anything there... I'm really not sure what we'll do." L's mum huffed from the back of the taxi.

L's dad nudged her side, "Don't give up hope, we'll find something. We have to."

Neither seemed convinced of his words but they kept going. The scene changed and they were now sitting in a seating area in the middle of a picturesque forest, lit by an ethereal glow that almost felt alive. Twinkles of light fluttered past L's parents, who were sitting on a majestically carved, wooden love seat. A small white table was set in front of them, a plate of delicate sandwiches and china teacups atop saucers accompanied them.

"Oh, no, please tell me they didn't." Came Bryce's horrified voice from beside L.

L turned to see his face had gone impossibly paler, "What is it?"

Bryce let out a heavy sigh, he pointed towards the far side of the seating area, under an arch of flowers and twirling branches. Four figures were walking towards them, their robes the most vibrant red and blue, they billowed around them despite a lack of wind. Their hair was long and flowing, in a range of colours. Three of them female, the other male, their ages weren't apparent but the almond shaped eyes and the point of their ears, not to mention their height, told L exactly who, and where, they were.

Her parents had travelled to the kingdom of the Elves, this revelation caused L to take a more detailed look around and she found they were sitting in the middle of an Elven metropolis. Buildings of unusual shape, made out of unusual materials, were dotted all around them; thousands of dwellings, on the ground and in the trees. L couldn't pinpoint where exactly they were but it had to be one of the bigger cities in the kingdom.

Their immediate area looked like a park, it was certainly big enough, but L knew the Elves wouldn't hold a meeting somewhere so public. Magic would likely be shielding the area, stopping any chance that they'd be heard or even seen.

"Why here? They won't help." L heard Bryce mutter under his breath.

L knew he had problems with his own kind, and specifically his own family. This would be interesting to witness from their external vantage point.

The four Elves stopped in front of L's parents, and now that L could see them up close she recognised the first two Elves. They were the reigning king and queen, and Bryce's parents. L side glanced at him and unsurprisingly he was scowling at the two of them. Luckily, they couldn't see him and proceeded to smile politely down at L's parents.

"I hope you've been met with favourable hospitality, we apologise for our tardiness."

Bryce snorted, "Which means, we just wanted to make you wait to show we're better than you. And we're not really sorry."

L bit back a smile and shook her head, "Are you gonna commentate on everything they say?"

Bryce looked frustrated until he glanced down to see her smiling. He relaxed, marginally, "Sorry, they just annoy me, but you'd be grateful for my translation if you ever had to meet them." His eyes grew wide, "Which you'll have to do at some point, and on that day I'll be violently unwell."

L chuckled at his panic, turning back to the scene just in time to hear her parents bringing the conversation back from small talk.

"We came here hoping for your help, Your Majesties, as you know the situation with Frallica has reached critical levels. We've begun a quest to find who started the prophecy that doomed our kind, we wish to destroy or disprove it, and keep our child safe. We hoped you'd be able to afford us some assistance in our efforts."

The Elves stared momentarily, they clearly hadn't been expecting this. They recovered their composure and the king shook his head.

"I'm afraid we cannot help, we have discussed a topic of a similar nature in an effort to end your plight. At the request of numerous Elven officials, on your behalf, but alas, we have found nothing that could do what you ask."

"In other words, we can't be bothered to look into it fully because you're the Keepers, fix your own sh-"

"Bryce," L warned with a half smile, "I want to hear this, you can give me the real rundown after."

Bryce nodded and crossed his arms, glaring at his parents.

L's parents, on the other hand, seemed to know exactly what the Elves were saying without needing Bryce as translator.

"You can't, or won't help?" L's mum asked, standing up and eyeing the Elves with clear contempt.

"Juliana, calm down, the Elves wouldn't refuse help to the Keepers in their time of need. Not when the roles could be reversed so easily, and have on a multitude of occasions in the past. That would be most unbecoming, and that is not the way of such magnanimous beings."

"Ha!" Bryce exclaimed, grinning from ear to ear. "I like your dad, L, he knows what's up."

The Elves mask of politeness was slipping, L could see hints of outrage underneath that they attempted to hide, because technically L's dad hadn't said anything wrong.

"That is correct, we would not do you such a disservice, the Elves and Keepers have always had a valuable relationship. A mutually beneficial friendship for both parties, we assure you we would help if we could." The queen stated, she sounded genuine, however L was starting to see that wasn't the case no matter how convincing it seemed.

"I see," L's dad stood up and placed a hand on his wife's shoulder. "We will continue our search elsewhere, there must be a species out there more powerful than the Elves."

"I can't wait to meet them." L's mum added.

And with that, L's parents left the seating area, and an outraged king and queen, behind.

Bryce doubled over laughing, shaking his head hysterically. "Your parents, L, I can't believe it. The cool way they just insulted mine, and walked away like it was no big deal. I love them."

L grinned at his reaction, she hadn't expected this meeting to go the way it had and she wondered at the ripples it might have caused going forward.

"Wait, your parents?" Robbie asked of Bryce, clearly confused by the whole encounter. "I need context."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 450 59
~The Elves lost their Magic. The Princess is a Dragon. The Halfling is a Shifter. And Witches rule the Realm.~ Liss' clan lives in a world of seclusi...
56.5K 1.5K 9
She has the magic to save her friends-but it'll cost their trust to use it... Lallie Nonsire Cobbleson is no stranger to prejudice. Between her herit...
976 87 11
**Sequel to Abbernathy and the Two Kings ** One girl. Two loved ones missing. And magick that needs saving. This is Abbernathy and Magick's End, the...
26.8K 3K 82
Magic or family? The choice will change her life forever. *** Lillith Hemlock is the last i...