Confident

By sirtoadstool

The year is nineteen ninety three. Eddie is popular, kind, loved, and very pretty. Richie is nerdy, loud, fun... More

Introduction
Eddie
Richie
Wear Protection
Telephone Calls
Staring Competition
The Start Of Something Great
Invitations
Tryouts
Welcome To The Loser's Club
Twister, Drinks, and Sleepovers
Skateboards and Scripts
Disarm You With A Smile
Stan the Birthday Man
Man In The Box
I'm Tired
I'm Here
It
Killing Me Softly
Bets Over Friends
Under the Bridge
Promises
He's Okay
Halloween
It Hurts
What Is Love
Nothing Else Matters
All Grown Up
Not The List
Beards
I'll Care Forever
Eds is Legal
Welcome Home
Home
Thanksgiving
Family is Family
High
NOT AN UPDATE
Moving In
Asexual
Live
Spotify?
New Years
Bad Days Come
Your thoughts??????
Today
Greta and Linda
Hey Dad
NEW FIC?
Court
Letters
Dancing King
Bye For Now
Everlong
IT HAS BEEN FUN!!!
The List
Princess Tomato
Big Stuff

Perfect Fit

1.7K 59 51
By sirtoadstool

Song: Shelter from the Storm by Bob Dylan

January 28, 1994

Mike is woken up past midnight due to a bang on his window. At first he decides to ignore it, blaming it on the wind. But the noise only continues to grow harder and more rapid. So he grunts and stumbles out before pulling his curtains back.

He immediately wakes up at the sight. He's no longer tired and instead full of fear. There stands a girl more broken than ever. Someone he's grown to love and care for dearly.

Mike ushers her in, getting her out of the cold. It's freezing out, seeing how it's still winter. The girl's teeth chatter and her face is a pale blue. Except for her right cheek, which seems to be a bit more red than the rest of her.

"You're freezing." He tells the girl, as if it's not obvious. But he's not sure what else to say.

He notices the obvious tear stained cheeks and glossy eyes. Should he question it or act casual? The boy doesn't want to scare her off. "Do you want to talk or-..."

She cuts him off with a look of horror. He gets it and so he doesn't question further. Instead he takes ahold of her. That's the only thing he knows how to do. "I'm going to start you a bath. Do you want to stay here or come with me?"

The girl's eyes widen as she latches herself onto him. Again, Mike gets it and so he takes her hand and leads the way. When they're there, the girl takes a seat on the counter while Mike waits for the water to warm. "Should I call anyone?"

She gives a sigh before looking away. Mike's never seen her like this. It's not that she's weak. More just broken. Perhaps in shock. He's not sure, but something is definitely wrong. Of course he's curious as can be, but he's also patient.

Finally the water is good to go and so he plugs the tub and heads out, her following close behind. "I know you're smaller than me, but I have some clothes if you want them."

Another tear finds its way out as she nods vulnerably. "Yeah." It's the first word she's said and so Mike hopes it's progress.

"Okay." He digs through his wardrobe before coming across a pair of old grey sweatpants and a tee shirt he'd gotten at a zoo his freshman year. "Here." He hands them over before walking her back.

She stands on the inside of the room, while Mike stands on the outside. She doesn't want to be alone, and he sees that. "Greta I'll be right outside if you need me."

The girl wipes away a remaining tear that had slipped out. "Okay." Quickly Greta kisses her best friend's cheek before backing in and closing the door. She feels her frigid cheeks before hopping in and basking in the warmth and comfort of this home.

Mike waits a few second before walking away. He doesn't want to hover. Besides, he wants to make everything as nice as possible. Greta could either come out of there even more exhausted and want nothing more than to sleep, or wide awake and ready to pour her soul out. Mike wants to be prepared for both.

Which is why he travels to the kitchen and creates a platter of her favorite treats and a hot mug of hot chocolate, which he even decorates with whipped cream, tiny marshmallows, and even rainbow sprinkles. It always brings a smile to her face. He's hoping it will this time too.

Greta enters Mike's room quietly. Her hair is still damp, but she's much warmer than she once was. She stands by the door and watches Mike tidy up. The girl smiles at this small action. She swears he'd go above and beyond for not only her, but every single one of their friends.

She sneaks up on him, quiet as a mouse. "Boo!" She giggles as he jumps back.

He glares, but his face softens up quickly. "You feeling better?"

Greta flops back onto his bed and curls up to a soft blanket that he'd laid out just for her. She always calls it hers since she uses it every time she's over. "Much."

"Hey." Mike speaks to gain her attention, which works. Her head peeks up and her eyes travel down to where Mike is pointing.

She smiles lovingly at her best friend before grabbing at the sweets. "You didn't have to."

Mike shrugs. "I wanted to."

She takes a sip of the hot beverage before setting it to the side and laying back with a sigh. "They know."

Mike hums, obviously confused. So Greta continues. "My parents. They know."

"Know what?" He takes a seat next to her.

She groans, making sure to look the other way. "About me. About Linda."

Mike gasps. Suddenly things make a little more sense. "How?"

"Apparently someone saw us at the movies. I don't even know. Friends of my parents."

Mike takes ahold of her hand. "What happened?"

She laughs despite the new tears in her eyes. "Basically I'm homeless."

Mike not only squeezes her hand, but also his eyes. "Greta."

She hums. "Yeah. All I got to take with me is this little mark on my cheek."

"Greta. I'm so sorry."

She only shrugs. "Not your fault. Never thought it would happen. Honestly I'm surprised I'm not sobbing. I think I'm just so shocked. You know? It's like a dream. But it's not. I'm alone."

"You're not alone."

Greta smiles at her dear friend. "Well I know, but you know what I mean."

Mike sits up to get a better look at her. "No." He shakes his head stubbornly. "You're not."

"I've got no place to go."

The boy grunts. "Greta I'm right here."

She rubs her head. "You don't even have another room, Mike."

"I've got two words for you. Bunk. Beds." He pauses in between words.

Greta shakes her head. "No way. I could never accept that."

"Why not? You don't want to be my roomie?"

The girl frowns. "It's not that. I just, I don't want to be a burden."

He stares at her blankly. "You're my best friend. You'll always have a place with me. My grandma adores you. I'll let you redecorate. Plus you shower at night and I shower in the morning. We are like the perfect fit."

It's now that Greta starts to really cry. She sobs, to be exact. She holds her head in her hands while Mike draws circles on her back. He thinks he's done or said something wrong, which concerns him. What's he to do now? She was already so upset, how could he possibly make it worse?

"Hey, Greta-..." Mike grunts at the force.

Greta has him wrapped in her arms in a matter of seconds as she sobs. And she sobs hard. But this time it's not in the way Mike thinks. "Thank you." She barely gets out.

Once the girl has calmed down and they've both settled back against the wall, they finally talk it out. They talk and they talk and it's like they never run out of things to say. But once it's way too early in the morning and both their voices give out, they simply curl up, eat their cosmic brownies, and watch all of Greta's favorite films.

And that's when it finally hits her. Maybe she didn't lose a family. Maybe she gained one. Because being in this home, no matter the size or fortune, she's always felt welcomed, loved, and absolutely whole.

There's no need to hide or fear.

She can simply just be.

Maybe life with Mike won't be that bad. How could it?

Besides, she thinks once more before dozing off, he absolutely spoils me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.4K 563 25
richie is in love with eddie. what a surprise. the losers club have (finally) finished another school year and they just want to spend a great summer...
769K 42.2K 127
don't read this if you don't wanna hate richie started / 20.1.18 finished / 2.7.2020
52.2K 1.1K 25
A book where Eddie and Richie have a crush on each other but Eddie is so love struck he forgets how to breathe around Richie trashmouth Tozier, he's...
5.4K 206 46
≪•◦everyone gets a word on their wrist on their 16th birthday, and it's the same as their soulmates. if you tell them your word before you love them...