Forbidden Fantasies (Darkest...

By SamanthaWilde

Aurora Beauchanan has a secret. As the daughter of the renowned Alchemist Nicholas Flamel, there are things a... More

1. Grimmauld Place 12
2. The High Council of Alchemists
3. Jealousy Doesn't Suit You
4. Debt and Retribution
5. Unexpected Travel Companion
7. Explanations and Consequences
8. Home Sweet Home
9. Revelations of the Past
10. Wicked Game
11. The Games We Play
12. Information Overload
13. Answering Questions
14. Many Roads Lead to Rome
15. Trapped and Cornered
16. Outrage and Anger
17. Tempting fate
18. Taunting Truth
19. Fragments
20. Questionable Intentions
21. Irresistible Charm
22. Uncertainty
23. Midnight Squirmish
Important A/N
24. Unlikely Confidante
25. Are you Leaving or are you Staying?
26. What is There to Say?
27. A Kernel of Truth
28. Unaware of the Danger
29. Matters of the Heart
30. Someone I Used to Know
31. Tough Choices
32. Leave of Absence
33. Legacies
34. To Make Amends
36. To Separate The Lies From Truth
37. The Beauty Of A Broken Angel
38. Beyond the Veil
39. Before it Breaks
40. A Mother's Love
Epilogue-Severus Snape
Sinful Seduction

6. Bloodmoon Ritual

15.5K 513 156
By SamanthaWilde

Hey there! I hope you're enjoying the story of Aurora so far, and keep up the comments and votes... it's greatly appreaciated.

*************************************************************************************************

Ireland is a beautiful country. Not only is it home to some of the oldest magic known to man, it's also a beautiful place when it comes to scenery and landscapes.

Having been to Ireland on numerous occasions I still marveled at the sight spreading out before me like a beautiful canvas of green and grey, earth and sky blending together in a cacaphony of colours and shapes. The air seemed permeated with the smell of damp earth, leaves and the scent of freshly fallen rain. Hills in a thousand diffrent shades of green reached as far as my eyes could see, varying from a crystal clear emerald to a deep shade of forest green. The grass was covered in dew, the clouds above forming a deep gray-and-white deck that was ever-changing.

"Are we there yet?" Tonks asked impaciently behind me.

If anyone ever thought it would be easy to travel several hundred miles accompanied by no other than Nymohadora Tonks, they were sorely mistaken. Despite the fact that we had apparated into the city and from there used to floo network to some small village in the middle of nowhere, there was still a lot of ground to cover.

Druids weren't exactly known for their availability....

In fact, if there was ever any society more easily reached than the Druids, I had yet to see it. I knew for a fact that the group of people we were about to visit weren't too keen on recieving visitors. Hell, no one knew where to find them except for a select few. And even then, their territory was fiercely protected and heavily guarded with protection spells and shielding charms.

And it was Old Magic.

Magic of the Earth. Of Nature. The magic of the Druids stemmed from the elemental forces of nature. The essence of life. The basic strengths that shaped the world when magic was still young.

I sighed.

"See that forest over there?" I said, pointing to the treeline visible several miles from where we were standing.

Tonks nodded.

"Well that's it" I said as I continued walking, my quiet introspection interrupted by the cheerful Auror walking beside me.

"So.... how much more walking?" Tonks questioned "because it seems like we've been walking for like forever..."

"About an hour" I answered curtly, keeping up a steady pace as we decended the hill we'd been standing on.

There was a brief silence, one in which I observed Tonks as she walked beside me. The perky witch most defenitely had a quirky personality. With her cheerful smile and charming personality could never quite picture her as an Auror. I'd always believed those to be a bunch of serious-looking people with skills that enabled them to blend in and remain inconspicuous. And no one would ever say Tonks was the wallflower kind-of girl.

Submerged deeply in that train of thought I nearly missed Tonks tripping over her own two feet and almost doing a face-plant onto the grassy ground.

"Ouch!" She exclaimed "Damn my clumsiness!"

I chuckled, looking back to see Tonks smiling sheepishly at me.

"You okay?" I inquired as I waited for her to catch up.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Although I might have twisted my ankle...." she said with a loud groan as she rolled her eyes at me.

I nodded, quickly whipping out my wand and pointing it at her ankle.

"Episkey" I said quickly, before stuffing my wand back inside the pocket of my robe.

"..thanks" Tonks muttered with an appreciative glance at me "I've always been terrible at household- and simple healing spells..."

"So how is it you became an Auror?" I inquired curiously "you don't seem like the typical Auror to me..."

"Yeah, you would know, with your 212 years of existence, right?" Tonks said as she stuck her tongue out at me, before turning serious "And you're not the first one to say that. I get that a lot, you know? That I'm too...-"

"-extravagant?" I said, looking for the right word.

"Yeah. Exactly. Too loud. Too akward. Too extroverted. Too clumsy...." Tonks said as she shrugged "The truth is that that's who I am. I have a very open and straightforward personality. But I also love my job. And I'm really good at it. I enjoy the thrill of it, and knowing I'm doing some good in this dark world we live in..."

Her explanation was so honest and true to her persona that I could only nod. She was right. Never judge a book by it's cover, right? I had heart a lot about the talented young Auror, and knew that she excelled in what she did. Her skills were impressive, and her kind personality only added to her appeal.

"You should always do what makes you happy" I agreed "And it's commendable that you're so passionate ahout what you do..."

Tonks nodded, and we walked in silence for a while.

"Hoe about you?" She asked after a while "What do you want to do? What do you do? What are you passionate about?"

Her question threw me off guard. I hadn't really thought about my life in such an abstract manner. Something as direct as -what do you do?- was foreign to me. I suppose that when you've had a couple of centuries to ponder about the meaning of life and the point of our existence you kind of lost track of your abstract goals.

"....I dont know" I answered truthfully "I'm an Alchemist at heart, I suppose. My parents tought me what they knew ever since I was old enough to understand, and I've always enjoyed alchemy. But it's a very broad spectrum, and over the years I've specialized myself in Potions and Charms...."

"Wait wait wait... you're telling me you're a Potions Mistress and a Charms Mistress?" Tonks interrupted me, a hint of admiration in her voice.

"212 years, remember?" I said with a smile as I continued walking, Tonks following closely behind.

"Right" Tonks conceded as we walked in a hurried pace. I wanted to reach the forest before nightfall.

Well I got my wish. It was around when we finally reached the edge of the forest. The trees were a thousand different shades of green, leaves rustling in the wind as we stood at the forests edge. The warm rays of the sun bathed us in a golden glow, amd Tonks was looking at me expectantly.

"....so?" She finally asked, curiosity taking the better part of her "What now?"

"Follow me" I said quietly, stepping underneath the canopy. Entering the forest we found ourselves surrounded by shrubbery and platage, the biodiversity and rich scenery causing Tonks to look around, eyes wide in marvel. The trees stood tall and proud, green leaves waying softly in the wind as we walked underneath the green forest roof. But the further we walked into the forest, the more it changed. No longer was it the beautiful forest we saw barely minutes ago. No, now the trees looked more gnarled and twisted. Darker, in a way. Wild, untamed. I was walking with a sense if purpose and direction, knowing exaxtly where to go. Decisively pushing through some unknown path amongst the old trees, my eyes narrowed when I caught sight of what I was looking for.

"Eh... Aurora...what exactly are we looking for?" Tonks enquired as she nearly tripped over a root protuding from the damp earth.

"...That" I said sharply, stopping all of the sudden and pointing straight ahead.

There, nestled between two giant trees with twisted trunks and gnarled branches that swirled and contorted into various shapes, was something that looked like a gate. The trees at the sides looked to be centuries old, with thick tree-trunks that displayed deep groves and swirling patterns carrying testimony of it's age. A deep ebony its branches formed a curved arch that spanned between the two trees, on the bottom roots sprouting from the ground and looking like a spiderweb of brown ropes criss-crossing eachother on the forest ground.

"Ehh.... and what exactly is that?" asked Tonks as she looked dubiously at the wooden structure.

"That's the passageway" I answered simply.

"Passageway to where?" questioned Tonks "Behind it is just more forest...."

"Really?" I said, looking at her over my shoulder "You sure about that?"

Tonks squinted, taking a couple of hesitant steps forward and looking intensly at the opening in between the two trees.

I knew the moment she saw it. It was like a shimmer. A rippling of air that passed over the entranceway to the Druid's territory. Tonks was right, technically all you saw if you happened to look through the gateway was more forest. But, if you knew what to look for, you could sense something was different. I personally could feel the centuries old magic that had woven spells into the very fabric of those trees. The forces that shifted and changed and wavered every time I tried to pinpoint the nature of the spell. It was as if I could reach out mentally and touch some sort of veil that was draped over the space between those ancient trees. It resisted my prescence, shimmering angrily with a faint light that looked like a stone being plundged into still water, ripples expanding across its surface as I looked.

"Wow..." Tonks whispered "what is that?"

"It's Earth Magic" I answered curtly "A veil that separates this part of the world from the Druid's territory. It's like Diagon Alley. Hidden with magic, inaccesible for muggles-and wizzards, for that matter- and inpenetrable by any spell or curse"

"So....it's like an alternate dimnsion?" Tonks asked curiously, picking up a small pebble and throwing it with precise aim. The stone rikocheted off the invisible barrier and landed back at her feet.

"Not really. It's sort of like a dome. A veil that separates this part of the forest from theirs. Anyone who doesn't know about it's existence or the way through.... will just continue through the forest, getting disoriented and getting lost. They won't know it, but they will just exit the forest somewhere else and think that they're cut right through it, not knowing that in reality they circled around the Druid's territory" I explained carefully as I smiled at Tonks's inquisitive nature.

"And the Muggle technology? Does it stop working just like at Hogwarts?" the pretty Auror asked with a hint of appreciation in her eyes as she observed the entrance to the Druids territory.I nodded. She was quick.

"Cool" Tonks murmured "But now what? How do we get in?"

"Luckily for us, I've been here several times and know how to get in..." I said with a small smile.

Breathing in I took a couple of steps forward and stopped only a few paces away from the passageway. I could feel the electricity buzzing through the air, the magic like static as I came closer to the arch. Sighing about what needed to be done I took out my wand, muttering under my breath as I whispered the words of the old blood-magic. Pointing the wand at the palm of my hand I cursed under my breath as a long cut appeard on my skin, cutting through the flesh with ease as a wound a couple of inches long marred my flesh. Blood inmediately started pushing it's way through the injured skin, crimson contrasting sharply against the paleness of my flesh.

"Aurora, what are you doing?" Tonks hissed as she watched me, concern clear in her eyes.

"It's the Old Ways, Tonks. Earth Magic. Blood Magic. It required a sarcifice" I gritted as I sunk to my knees, pressing my now heavily bleeding hand into the damp earth. The moment my hand touched the ground something akin to an electric shock passed through me, and I grinned inwardly as I felt the rippling effect of the magic permeating the air. Suddenly the whind picked up around us, and as my hair was whipped around my face a buzzing sound could be heard, like the beating of a drum, the rythm increasing like the frantic beat of my heart. A tremor ran through the earth, the ground shuddering as if shaken by a minor earthquake. Looking up I saw a fisure appear in the rippling air that shimmered at the passageway. Glimmering with a faint light it was as if the air just tore apart, revealing another kind of forest than I had been looking at just merely seconds ago. This looked wilder, more untamed. The trees were bigger, more imposing. Magic was in the air.

With a smile I stood up, wiping my muddy hands on the thighs of my jeans. Before I could start walking Tonks was at my side, snarching my previously injured hand and gaping at the now unblemished skin.

"It's gone. There's nothing there. Nada" she muttered, clearly bothered by the fact.

"Like I said: it's blood-magic. And this was merely an opening spell. Nothing serious" I answered, pulling back my hand and walking straight through the archway.

Followed closely by Tonks we made our way through the forest, following some unseen path that bore no recognizable marks whatsoever.

"Eh...Aurora? You sure this is the way?" Tonksbfinally wondered out loud "not that I don't trust you... it's just... how do you know where we're going?"

"Because she's been here before" sounded a melodic voice.

Tonks had her wand out in the time it took me to blink, whirling around and pointing it at the woman who was lazily leaning against a tree not far from where we were standing. I had to give it the young Auror. She had good reflexes.

"Who are you and what do you want?" Tonks demanded as her eyes flickered from me to the woman.

"I could ask you the very same thing" the woman replied, straightening before slowly walking towards us.

Her hair was a bright carrot red, closely resembling orange flames as they framed her pretty face in curly ringlets. Her face was all angles, woth plump lips to soften the harsh lines of her face and a pointy pixie-like nose. With her slender five'eight figure and deep forest-green eyes, she had always reminded me of a nymph of the forest.

"Hello Moira" I said with a bright smile, brushing past Tonks and walking up to the striking woman "Still stealthy and silent as ever I see"

"You bet!" The beautiful girl exclaimed as she enveloped me in a tight hug, not paying Tonks any heed.

Taking a step back my hand still rested on Moiras shoulder, and I smiled I looked her over.

"Well you haven't changed much since I last saw you" I joked.

"Right. Except maybe for the fact that jow I look like a dozen years older than you!" Moira teased, eyes darting to Tonks, who was watching us with silent curiosity.

"Oh, right!" I exclaimed "Let me introduce the two of you. Moira, this is Tonks, my traveling companion- who also happens to be an Auror at the Ministry- and a friend of mine. Tonks, this is Moira, leader of the Clan and one of my dearest friends"

When I finished the introductions Tonks and Moira nodded at eachother in a polite manner, seizing eachother up with mild curiosity.

"Clan?" Tonks questioned as she watched Moira start to walk in the opposite direction we had come from.

"The Druids" I answered absentmindedly "They live in a so-called Clans. It's usually made up of several families, commonly under the leadership of a single Druid-in this case Moira"

"The clan currently consists of 17 families" Moira piped in, leading us through a dense patch of forest as we talked "Thats more than 300 people I have to take care of"

We continued walking, the forest just as thick and dense and with no apparent path. And yet Moira seemed completely confident in whatever direction she was going. I was following closely behind, knowing exactly where we were heading. I also knew the way, and yet it seemed that every time I entered the Druid's territory I discovered new things about the beautiful forest, it's eery silences and whispered winds bringing me a profound sense of peace.

After fifteen minutes of walking the trees seemed to thin out considerably, and when we finally crossed the treeline I watched in utter fascination how the village of the Druids unfolded before me. It was still exactly as I remembered it, with wooden lodges spread out randomly amongst the low green hills. People were milling around, going on and about with their daily lives, doing their chores as we approached the village. People watched us, men and women alike, and I knew it was because it was a rarety to see other wizzards. Druids lived an isolated life, after all, one of contemplation and simplicity, in which they focused on living organically and find their connection with nature.

"Wow...they're really all about going back to basics here eh?" Tonks muttered as she watched children play catch on the grassy field nearby while a mother watched over them as she sorted all kinds of dried plants.

"It's a tranquil way of life. Easy. Peaceful. It allows us to connect with nature and practice Earth Magic. What more could we want?" Moira said with a gentle smile as she looked at the children play.

"I suppose" Tonks agreed, looking at me with a questioning stare.

It was then, as Moira stood silently beside me, that I decided to broach the topic i'd been waiting to talk to her about.

"Moria.... you know why we're here, right?" I asked softly, giving Tonks a warning look. The Auror nodded, taking a couple of steps backwards under the pretense of giving me and my close friend a resemblance of privacy.

"We've heard about the return of the Dark Lord" Moira said, as if that was answer enough.

And, in a way, it was.

"I'll need to talk to the Clan" I said in an urgent tone, a grim smile tugging at the corner of my lips "They need to know what's going on in the outside world. They need to know about their options"

Moira nodded.

"Follow me" she finally said, her voice soft yet clear.

I shrugged, nodding at Tonks for her to follow me, and then following Moira to one of the bigger lodges, a heavy wooden structure made up in its entirety of heavy wooden beams. It was located in the centre of the village, and could easily house around 50 people. As we crossed the entrance, a cool ambience awaited inside the shade and calmness of the room. The cabin was made up of one single room, and an open space was left in the middle, a young man was standing near one of the larger windows, of which five allowed an abundant entrance of light into the room.

"Creis, go get the Familiars" Moira ordered, the young man nodding and inmediately scurrying off.

"Familiars?" Tonks asked curiosuly, looking around the cabin.

"That's what they call the leaders of the families. Representatives in Moiras council. They council and advise her in order to help her lead the community. Usually they're the heads of the family. The father, mother, somtimes the eldes son or in some cases a grandparent" I explained as people started filing into the cabin.

After about fifteen minutes it seemed that everyone had arrived. There were about 20 people in total, who had all accomodated themselves and sat down in an informal circle on the wooden floor, legs crossed and tucked underneath them as they talked amongst eachother in hushed tones. It was a diverse group, ages ranging from mid-twenties to late-fifties, men and women alike. Many a glance was cast our way, and I could feel the eyes of everyone on me and Tonks. Some people seemed gto remember me, and I nodded and smiled as some of them greeted me.

Finally, when the boy Moira had called Creis came in last into the wooden lodge and gave her a discreet nod, she stepped away from me and Tonks, turning towards her people.

"Welcome, Familiars" she said, her voice ringing loud and clear "Some of you will remember Aurora from her previous visits, but for those who don't: This is Aurora Beauchanan, one of my most trusted friends. Her father and mine knew eachother for a long time, and over the years their insight into both our world and the wizzarding one, together with their advise and councel have proved invaluable for this community"

"Yes, we remember the Alchemist..." an elderly woman said. Her silvery hair was braided and hung across one shoulder, her kind grey eyes taking me in curiously "But why is she here?"

"She's come here to adress all of you on a rather pressing matter" Moira answere curtly, before gesturing me to come forward.

As I stood in front of the small crowd, I found my mind wondering. There was a sense of urgency boiling within me, the pressure the High Council had implied in the necessity in fulfilling this mission succesfully giving me cause to pause myself and take a few deep breaths. I needed to do this. It was proving myself not only to the High Council and my parents, but to myself. Diplomacy was key, and I had to handle the situation extremely carefully. I had to succeed. I knew Moira, and I had been friends with her for years. I'd been to the Druid territory on numerous occasions, and I knew the people, the society. This wans't just about getting them to fight Voldemorts influence, this was about protecting people I knew from the rapidly approaching darkness. About keeping safe a place where I'd gotten so many happy childhood memories and gotten to know so many people.

With that thought in mind, I directed my attention towards the group of people before me, who were expectantly awaiting my words.

"Familiars, I come as bearer of bad news. Maybe you already recieved such news, but Lord Voldemort has returned. He has risen and is now rapidly gathering power" I started "And, despite what I know many of you might think, this development in the wizzarding world affect all of you. Directly. Voldemort is looking for followers, and it won't be long before he sends one of his minions to try and convince you to join his cause"

"What makes you think we'd be interested in joining forces with the Dark Lord?" a young man said. He seemed so sure of himself, and his aqualine eyes watched me with the tiniest but of disdain.

"Lord Voldemort doesn't desist. He doesn't quit. He doesn't give up. He will come here, and when he does, his arguments will be compelling and tempting" I said darkly, gesturing outside "But for the sake of your people, your families, your loved ones.... you must decline"

"And you can guarantee our safety once we do so, Alchemist?" a young woman boasted, her voice cynical and with an edge of worry.

"I will make no such claim" I responded "I merely suggest you heed my advice. Listen to my words. You have to think of what's right here. Do what is correct. Now I won't say there won't be dangers, because I can guarantee no such thing, but I will do my best to protect you..."

"But will that be enough?!" this came from an older man, maybe in his mid-to-late thirties, with auburn hair and preocupied grey eyes.

"Does that matter?" Moira interveined, coming to stand at my side "Aurora came here to warn us, to remind us of what is morally right. Despite the ever-present danger out there and the approaching darkness, she came to tell us to be ready. To be prepared...."

"Won't do us much good if the Dark Lord decides to wipe us off the face of the earth..." muttered a voice amongst the people.

"Are you seriously suggesting we side up with Lord Voldemort?!" Moira barked, her voice full of authority "To just forget everything we stand for, everything we believe in? And for what? The promise of wealth and power? The rouse of safety, inforced by those damned Death Eaters?!"

Her voice rang loud and clear, and I saw many of the Familiars shake their heads forcefully, while some of the younger ones looked at eachother in mild embarassment.

"Look, I know many of you weren't around the last time Lord Voldemort rose to power" I spoke softly, confidently, feeling the need to succeed press heavily upon my shoulders "I was. I was there. I experienced firsthand what that so-called safety Voldemort promised consisted off. Empty promises. Hollow. But you all remember the costs of that war. The lives taken. The souls lost. The pain, the loss, the grief.... Do yo really want to be at the wrong side of that battle?"

My words were met with silence.

"Because there will be a war" I stated firmly, conviction making my voice ring loud and clear "And don't be fooled: no one will be free from it's clutches. You will have to pick a side. Time will come when you will have to choose. Choose. Either you're with the Dark Lord, or you're against him. There's no middle ground. Think of your people, of your society. The values you all share: peace, respect, harmonie with nature, love....Sure, Voldemort will temopt you. Promise you all sorts of power, wealth and magic beyond your wildest dreams. He'll give you a false sense of security, and then it'll be too late......But you have to resist. You have to fight back. To deny him your support"

"Doesn't seem like much of a choice" someone muttered darkly.

"There's always a choice" I said sharply "And in this case it's actually quite simple: good or bad. Right and wrong. Yes, the consequences will be grave, but that's usually the case when faced with two impossible choices.....I suggest you choose wisely"

Another silence decended on the group of Familiars, and I saw thay were mulling over my words, thinking seriously about what I had just said. From somewhere beside me I could see Tonks grinning wildly.

Finally someone spoke up.

"Your words ring true, Alchemist, and we have listened. But how can we trust someone as yourself? An outsider? That this isn't some clever manipulation designed to waver our beliefs? To disrupt our loyalties?" I know recognized her as the elderly woman who had spoken to me before.

"Your people have known me for a long time" I said with a sense of pride "I've watched many of you grow up into the people sitting before me, ever since they were little. I've seen the world around me change and yet your society remains the same. I shared your meals, your rituals, your hospitality...." I paused "...so I ask you: Am I truly an outsider?"

"Again, your arguments are solid, and your words charming, Alchemist" the old woman saidwith a kind smile "Your father was a trusted advisor, and a wise man. However, despite your words some of the younger ones might need further reassuring before completely trusting you..."

I saw many people nod, men and women alike. Specially the younger ones seemed eager to see some proof of my loyalty towards the wellbeing of their people.

Pensive, I thought about my options. There wasn't much I could do in such a short notice that would earn me their respect and trust...

....except....

I did some quick math inside my head and sighed when realization dawned on me. I knew what I had to do now.

"The Bloodmoon Ritual" I finally said, looking at Moira, who nodded in approval.

The Familiars looked at one another, some unspoken message passing between them, before they nodded in unison.

"I ubnderstand that tonight is the full moon" I said quietly "I shall take that opportunity to prove myself-once again- worthy of your trust"

"It's settled then. Aurora participates in the Bloodmoon Ritual -tonight" Moira said with finality.

It seemed that that was everyones cue to leave, for people started getting up and leaving the tent. Outside, twilight was rapidly approaching, and as the sun bled an angry red into the grey patch of clouds, Tonks walked over and patted me on the back encouraginly.

"You did great, Aurora!" she said cheerfully "Hell, I'm already a member of the Order and even I was hooked!"

I smiled.

"Indeed. You can be quite persuasive, Aurora" Moira said, her eyes darting to Tonks "Just as I remember....."

"...but?" I could sense the question in her voice.

"Are you sure what you are about to do is indeed wise?" Moira asked cautiously.

"It's the only way" I stated firmly.

"Ehh... guys? What are you talking about? Is this about that Bloodmoon Ritual? What exactly is that anyways?" Tonks rattled, her eyes darting from me to Moira, concern clear in her gaze.

"It's a Ritual a select group of Druids performs on the nights of the full moon-like today" I explained as I gave Moira a cautionary glare. She had to remain silent now.

"Ritual? What sort of ritual?" Tonsk sounded increasingly more suspicious, and the look she was giving me didn't bode well.

"It's a ritual the Druids perform to get closer to nature. It's a way to, through some rites performed during the full moon, acess that primal magic within you that allows you to connect on a deeper level with nature. With Earth Magic" I tried to explain as best as I could.

"And why is it so important then for you to participate in this ritual?" Tonks inquired.

"Because only very adept and powerful wizzards can acess that magic. It requires certain skills most people lack, and it's an intrinsical part of the magic we practice" Moira said sharply, leading us outside.

Tonks nodded, but she didn't look exactly reasured.

"Look, Tonks. It's the only way they'll trust me completely. I won't be putting myself in any uneccesary danger, if that's what you're worried about" I tried to convince her as we followed Moira. We were now heading to the outskirts of the village, and walking across a well-worn path treading through the forest.

Finally, Tonks nodded.

"Fine. I don't like this, but I guess it'll have to do" she sighed "So where are we heading anyways?"

"The campfire" Moira said with a shrug.

"Campfire?" again Tonks looked uncertain, and I hurried to appease her obvious discomfort with the current situation.

"The Bloodmoon Ritual is held at the shore of the Still Lake, and a campfire is built at it's shore" Moira explained.

Tonks nodded, but as we continued to walk, she pulled me back a bit, gently tugging me away from Moiras side.

"Aurora...Are you sure about this?" she asked in a hushed whisper "I mean.. the Bloodmoon Ritual? How creepy does that sound?"

"I appreciate your concern, but I'll be fine" I said decisively, giving her a reassuring smile before following Moira.

We reached the Still Lake and even after all these years, the place never failed to take my breath away. The lake itself wasn't exceptionally big, maybe fifty feet across and maybe half that wide. It was surrounded by a pearly white sandy beach that was parched with pebbles. No, it was the cliff-like formation that rose from the ground on the other side of the lake that called your inmediate attention. The side that mirrored in the water seemed riddled with cracks, filled up with some sort of luminescent mineral. Sparkly and white it was like a spiderwed of grooves and lines exposed across the surface of the rocky formation, drawing you in and mesmerizing you with a single glance.

And on the bank opposite of that cliff a huge bonfire was beeing erected. Wooden logs seemingly impossibly heavy were piled up and ready to burn with a fiery intensity. People were already gathering around it, and with a startle I saw that night had already fallen and that the sky was now a deep blue, starts twinkling and their reflections glimmering on the still water of the lake.

As Tonks and I settled into a comfortable sitting place we watched how the fire was lit, illuminating the edge of the forest visible from our resting place in shadows that danced across the leaves and branches. The fire gave a comforting warmth, sending shadows dancing across the nearly white sand and shrouding the people sitting close to us in heat and a warm glow.

There must have been 15 people there, mostly younglings, men and women between the ages of sixteen and twenty-five. I saw Tonks asses the crowd critically, and I prayed to Merlin that she wouldn't ask too many questions just yet.

When finally Moira appeared in the middle of the crowd, holding a wooden chalice with both hands, I fet Tonks straighten uo beside me. As Moira passed the chalice around and the people gathered around the campfire started drinking from it, I couldn't avoid Tonks questioning glances any longer.

"It's called Moondrought" I sighed "It's a concoction that helps release the mind from its.... earth-bound ties, so to speak. Helps you meditate"

"Like alcohol. Or drugs" Tonks said angrily.

"Nothing like that at all" I replied curtly "But the effects are similar"

When Moira approached me she glanced at Tonks, who eyed her wearily. She then offered the chalice to me, and I gratefully took it. Ignoring the pointed looks Tonks was giving me I sipped the concoction, my eyes burning as the biter liquid made its way down my throat. The stinging sensation that accompanied it was a welcome distraction, and when suddenly the air was filled with the loud thrumming of drums, it was in pace with the rythmic beat of my heart. Tonks was now looking around, trying to locate the source of the sound.

Now the drums were joined by the sound of flutes, and then the people around us started humming along on the haunting melody created by the instruments intensified. This went on for a good half hour, in which Tonks seemed unable to relax and I, however, sunk deeper and deeper into languid relaxation. My body felt weightless, my mind drifting and wondering, featherlight. I felt the magic strengthen within me, thrumming inside my veins with a fiery intensity that matched the thrundering drum of my own heart.

Then, people started getting up. One by one, the couple of dozen men and women that surrounded me all got to their feet, their eyes glimming strangely in the firelight. I saw Tonks look around in bewilderment, and I placed a hand on her forearm.

"Don't worry" I saod quietly, aware of how my voice sounded differend "Just...stay here"

Then I also got to my feet.

"I won't just let you walk away like that!" Tonks snapped, jumping to her feet "I'm here to watch over you!"

"It's okay. Everything is all right" I drawled, my voice a low murmur "This is part of the ritual. Now... whatever happens.. Whatever you see, whatever you hear.....don't.....follow...."

And with that I turned around and stalked away into the night.

It was strange, really, how disembodied I felt as I walked across the beach. Inside me, something was stirring. Something I had no control over. And I knew, beyond a doubt, that it was the Wild Magic within me. It was respondig to something, maybe the concoction offered to me by Moira, maybe the Earth Magic the Druids so deeply treasured.... it didn't matter. The fact was that I felt a strange tingling dance across my skin as all around me the quiet of the night was disrupted by sounds and noises that would have scared any other person. But I knew this would happen. I had anticipated this. I had experienced this before. Hell, I wanted it. Growls and hisses arose from the forest, the bonfire now a distant glow somewhere behind me. The sounds around me now only seemed enhanced, and my oversensitized senses went into overdrive as I felt myself let go of whatever sanity I possesd. Order, rules, right, wrong...it all seemed so faint and distant. I was now blissfully aware of everything going on around me, and as something akin to a howl erupted somewhere nearby, I grinned.

All the noises, all the smells. Everything came into perspective. The cool breeze carrying with it the smell of wood, damp earth, ashes and smoke. The faint gurgling of the water, twigs crackling under a dozen feet, animals and insects turning into a cacaphony os sounds and smells that was nearly overwhelming in its intensity.

Without really knowing how it happened, I found myself climbing the rough surface of the cliff. There was a path, a well-worn foot-trail that led up and up and up, shrubbery and sand littering the path worn into the grey stone. My night vision had drastically improved, and for that I was grateful. Silently and with a nearly animalistic grace I headed for the top of the cliff, looking out over the still water and watching the reflections of the bonfire dance across the water in the distance. Below me, the webbed surface of the rocky formation shimmered with it's white crystals.

My mind was becoming foggier by the minute, thought blurring together in an incomprehensible maze as I tried-and failed- to think straight.

Looking down onto the mirror-like surface of the water I felt something tug at me, some invisible force tugging at my gut. A sense of foreboding came over me. I felt many eyes on me, and knew I was being watched. The younglings with whom I shared the Bloodmoon Ritual. They were close.

Watching.

Waiting for something.

....And I knew what that was.

Without really over-thinking or over-analyzing the consequences of what I was about to do, I turned around.....

....and with a leap jumped off the cliff, falling into the ice cold deep water below.

****************************************************************************************************************************

Okay folks, that's it! Another chapter. It's pretty long, and I'm sorta happy with it. Hope you like it, and comment and vote like you've been doing so far. It's UNEDITED, so please forgive the grammar and spelling mistakes....

Thanks...

Sam out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 79 36
When asked to return to Hogwarts, Aurora-Nyx must face a past she has wanted to forget. With an old friend and Potions Professor, Aurora and Severus...
534K 18K 27
(Post-marauders, Pre-Harry) The year is 1985. After Voldemort's apparent demise at the end of a devastating war, Severus Snape is just trying to get...
32.8K 959 25
Starting school at Hogwarts you, Hermione, Ron, and Harry stumble upon something's that point to a certain potions professor being up to no good. Fee...
114K 3.9K 20
Post-War Snape has survived and is learning how to live with his newfound fame and the newest professor at Hogwarts. Serena Barrett has taken over th...