Destroy Me [ ON HIATUS/TODORO...

By laurhaus

❛ 𝓣he smile that you gave me; even when you felt like dying.❜ ↳ 𝐒aito Asami. Arranged marriages have been m... More

[ note ]
[ saito asami. ]
[ playlist. ]
[ 01. ]
[ 02. ]
[ 03. ]
[ 04. ]
[ 05. ]
[ 07. ]
[ 08. ]
[ 09. ]
[ 10. ]
[ 11. ]
[ 12. ]
[ 13. ]
[ 14. ]

[ 06. ]

1.9K 121 11
By laurhaus

Asami got herself ready for the day before Todoroki had stirred. He was passed out on the couch, finally sleeping soundly after days of restlessness. She took care to look her best, curling her hair and putting on makeup. Saito wasn't used to doing all of that.

She was cleaning the house silently, not wanting to wake him. Cleaning like she had been taught, like a woman should. Cooking like she had been taught, like a woman should. She tried her best to be quiet in the kitchen, but by the time she had pulled out the pans, she saw his head lift from the couch.

She approached him cautiously, standing in front of him as he sat, his hands on his knees. He looked up at her, his eyebrows furrowed. She tried not to stare too intently at his scar. But— beyond that, beautiful eyes. Eyes that in any other circumstance, she may find herself getting lost in. She snapped out of her thoughts and held out the cup.

"Morning tea," Asami said, giving a weary smile. She was half expecting him to hit it out of her hand. Instead, he gently took it.

"Thanks," his deep voice rattled her chest. Was it fear that shook her? Was it something else?

She bowed her head. "It's my duty to serve."

Then, silence again.

That was the last time they spoke for days on end, flitting around and avoiding each other. It was coming close to two weeks, where it was the same routine. She would cook, he would leave, she would clean, he would come back, she would sleep, he would stay awake all night.

Asami was slowly adjusting, becoming used to his presence. He was a ghost to her. The only times she would face him was during their meals. Sometimes, she wouldn't be able to take it, getting up and eating in the bedroom.

Todoroki would leave and do his hero work. She was stuck. In the emptiness of the house. She would play her music, hoping to ease the sense of loneliness. Dancing and singing by herself, reading book after book.

Todoroki, when he would return home, he would sometimes hear her in the bedroom while folding clothes. That brief moment of happiness was all he knew and he hated it. Staring at her while they sat at opposite ends of a table, waiting for one of them to make a move.

That changed when he received a text message from his father.

"We need to talk, Saito."

The normally silent dinner was interrupted by his voice. Asami looked up from the table, her eyes widening. She placed her hands in her lap, her black hair tucked behind one ear.

"Yes, Todoroki?"

He tried to keep eye contact, like a battle he never knew he would have to face. "Father informed me that we will be making a public appearance."

A public appearance? Her breath caught in her throat. She felt her eyebrows beginning to twitch, the familiar sting of tears in her eyes. She was beginning to forget about her reality until the bombshell dropped. No, she wouldn't cry. Not now.

"What would you like me to do?" She asked.

"We have to act like we are more than friends. That means we will have to have some sort of intimate contact," he said, no hint of amusement in his voice. "I wanted to inform you so you were not taken by surprise."

"When— when is this happening?"

She couldn't read him. What was he thinking? How did he feel?

"Tomorrow."

No more words were spoken after that. Saito got up to clean the dishes, scrubbing harder than she needed to. Todoroki had retreated to the bedroom, locking himself in the bathroom, ice climbing up his arm, trying to control his anger toward his father.

How could he spring this upon them? What was he trying to do? It had only been a couple of weeks, what was he expecting?

That night, neither of them had rest. They both laid in their separate quarters, staring at the ceiling. Asami held on to the picture of her family, trying to remind herself of what was at stake. Todoroki stared at his hands, reminding himself of the monster he could be.

They both wouldn't give up.

After both of them got ready for their day ahead, Todoroki's father had given them a list of places to go where the media would be present, but not overwhelmingly.

It was starting to grow cooler outside, the autumn breezes kicking in. Asami had opted for a long sleeved dress with tights, her hair down with light curls. Shouto had chosen something more casual, a nice jacket combo.

"Are you ready, Saito?" Todoroki asked, while she looked in the mirror. He paused for a brief second before saying the next words. "You look nice."

She tried to muster a smile but it was weak. "You as well."

They left the building together and upon exiting, he extended his arm to her. They were walking to their first couple of destinations, for a quick breakfast and walking around some shops for public exposure.

Asami carefully snaked her arm through his, gripping tightly to his jacket without realizing. They walked in silence most of the way, until people started noticing.

"Look! It's Shoto! Who's he with?"

Voices murmured, but were careful not to completely interrupt them. She looked down at the ground, continually gripping him tighter and tighter. He didn't mind it, but every emotion she felt passed across her face.

"You have to look less afraid," he said softly to her. "Every feeling you have shows on your face."

Her eyebrows furrowed. "They do not."

"They do. Laugh, right now, like I just told you a joke."

Saito exploded into a giggle, people around with smiles on their faces. Todoroki gave a small flicker of emotion as well.

"Very good."

They went to a small coffee shop first. Waiting in line, Todoroki was asked for a couple of autographs and pictures which he obliged for. Asami watched him interact with other people, his personality still reserved, just friendlier.

Todoroki ordered a black coffee with a biscuit. Saito ordered a cinnamon latte, explaining she wasn't very hungry. They sat at a table and she began sipping her coffee.

Todoroki reached out his hand across the table, robotically. More gracefully, Asami rested hers in his. It must've been his ice hand because they were freezing. A nice break from the hot coffee.

"You should've at least gotten something small. We still have more to go," Todoroki said.

"I insist, I'm really not hungry."

He didn't push it. They did the same routine they did at their dinners, sitting in silence. Luckily the coffee shop was fairly empty, so they didn't need to put on a show. But, they kept their hands together.

Their next stop was a set of local shops. They kept their hands together this time, hers tightly squeezing his anytime people would near. He watched her gaze at all of the pretty things in the windows, occasionally stopping so she could get a better look.

There were those brief moments of happiness.

"They're so beautiful," she would whisper to herself. Todoroki wanted to say something back, he wanted to let her know he could buy her whatever she wanted, but then the moment would fleet and she would move on.

He had a hard time moving on.

When they reached the end of their walk, Todoroki heard footsteps behind him.

"Shoto! Shoto! We have some questions regarding your most recent rescue alongside Red Riot!" The reporter's voice rang out and he felt his body freeze.

Asami whirled around, clutching her purse tight. She held on to his hand tighter, not knowing what to do in the face of a reporter.

"I have no comment," he said, beginning to push through the small media crew that kept growing larger. He pulled Asami behind him, keeping a tight grip on her hand. He was afraid he would lose her in the growing crowd.

"Miss! Miss! What is your relationship with Shoto?!"

Asami tried to turn her face away from the cameras, her hands beginning to shake. Todoroki started shielding her with his body, pushing cameras out of the way. She held on to his shoulder too, letting him guide them out.

"Miss! Miss! Who are you?!"

Who are you?

The words echoed in their ears, all the way until the emergency cab had been called. They sat in the back of the car after escaping the small set of reporters, holding her hands tightly together.

She was once confident and strong, holding it together. She was the one others would look to. She was a leader. Her mother died and everything changed. She became a recluse, graduating early and moving on to be a strict care taker. She stared out the window.

She remembered how he moved, to make sure he didn't lose her in the crowd. It was a small gesture, a small movement. But she felt safe for a brief second. Just a second.

"Thank you, Todoroki."

He sighed. "I didn't expect that. I'm sorry, I wouldn't have led you there."

A more genuine smile appeared on her face, minuscule. "I know."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 188 37
"So when's the wedding?" The mother of the boy jokingly asked the two. Her face immediately becoming a bright shade of pink, (Y/N) looked at the woma...
1.3M 40.7K 37
Y/N L/N, a happy girl with a powerful water quirk. However, her quirk was soon noticed by those in power. Soon, the girl was destined into an arrange...
287K 9.5K 43
(Y/n), Second Princess of the kingdom of Crystalli. Her parents controlled her life and only did what they thought was best for the kingdom. (Y/N) fi...
104K 2.5K 10
[Completed] You and your husband agreed to balance out your work lives and personal lives before having a child. Well, guess what? Your lives are c...