The Queen of the Underworld

Av Fierylight

Akira Clarke is unknowingly associated with those who break the law. From a young age, she has had many obsta... Mer

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Announcement

Chapter 11

369 19 3
Av Fierylight

The entire day I had been thinking about what happened last night. I've never allowed someone to touch me for as long as he did. I've never had contact with a male and wasn't expected to reciprocate something physical. What was most unnerving was how he could read me as if he was able to read my mind. I don't understand how or why. 

"Akira," Rio's voice drew me from my thoughts. "You're really spacy today. Are you okay? Did he do anything to you?" Kei and Rio were looking at me like they would murder him if I said he did anything.

"He made dinner last night," The two looked at each other in confusion before looking at me. "He also picked me up from work." The two seemed to be as confused as I was.

"He didn't force himself on you, right?" Kei asked in a dark tone. I shook my head at Kei, who sighed in relief. 

"He actually talked to me. We watched Tv for a bit before heading to our rooms for the night." Rio grunted at me. 

"Maybe he knows you can beat him if he tries anything." I nodded and looked out the window in the classroom again. That's where we left the conversation for the time being. Kei and Rio were trying to make up for not seeing me all the time by walking me everywhere and spending our lunchtimes together. I felt as though this is maybe what's normal for people who are friends; then again, each relationship has a different dynamic, so a common theme is hard to decide.

"Akira," Pops voice called me, making me look up. He was already smiling at me. "You seem happier today. You don't seem to be having dark thoughts today." He leaned on the counter and watched me organize the shelves. I shrugged at him, making him shake his head. "Is that gentleman from yesterday, your boyfriend?" My mouth dropped at his question. "I've never seen you act that way before, not even with your two hooligans." I chuckled at his word usage, then realized what else he was saying and sighed at him. "Is he the one you mentioned a while ago?" I nodded once and Pops, and he broke into a grin. "He seems so kind. He was very interested in understanding details about you. He couldn't figure out on his own. When you took the trash, he seemed like he was invested in a future with you." 

"Stop meddling, Pops," I said to him, giving him a knowing look. He could only smile at me as I worked. 

The night went as yesterday did. He picked me up; I saw Pops off. Then, he opened and closed the door. Then we got home, and he sent me to shower while he finished dinner. Again, he was lost in cooking as I watched him for a few minutes by the kitchen doorway. The way he moved was actually captivating. He was dressed in casual clothes again today, this time it was a long sleeve instead of a sweatshirt. 

"Why didn't you cook for yourself?" He never jumps when I think I scare him. He always just smiles when he hears me speak to him. 

"I was lazy and didn't have the need. Now that you're here, I want to make sure you at least eat once a day. Plus," He looked up at me, his eyes were like an arrow to the heart. "It's helping our dynamic. You're trusting someone else to touch your food." He has a point. I dislike it when others touch my food, so eating out is very hard for me. "Can you get the drinks?" He passed by me, and I watched him walk into the living room before grabbing the drinks and making my way to where he was. I sat on the floor so I could eat more comfortably. 

"You never dry your hair properly," He noted and tugged the towel. I let him dry my hair because he seems to like doing it, just like Kei and Rio did. "Brush." He said, making me stand up to go get one. When I went to enter, I saw him texting someone on his phone. A weird feeling bubbled up inside, something I've never felt. My grip on the brush tightened as I watched him. More than one emotion bubbled inside of me. Emotions I didn't even know the name of. I went to leave the room when he spoke. "Brush it; it'll get matted if you don't." I looked at the floor, letting my hair create a barrier. I heard him move, making me step back. I felt the floor shift slightly, making me aware he was in front of me. Not this again... I flinched when I saw his phone being offered to me, then looked up at him in confusion. "Look at it, that's why you're upset." I shook my head at him. "Akira," He didn't move his phone. "It was work, no one else." I shook my head again and sat down on the floor so I could eat. I heard him sit on the couch. "Brush," He said again, making me look up at him.

"It's fine; I can brush it later." My voice was quiet. I grabbed the fork and started to pick at the food. I saw him grab the hairbrush, and I grunted and stood up. "No," He looked up at me, watching me. 

"Why did you get it if you're going to brush it later?" I don't know. "You don't like your hair being touched?" I shook my head at him. "You don't want me to touch your hair?" He's doing it again.

"Stop that," I huffed at him, looking down. 

"Stop what?" I heard him move. I whined at him. "Stop what, Akira?" He was in front of me. I gripped the bottom of my sweatshirt. I felt the heat of his hand and gripped his wrist, looking up at him. "Stop what, Akira?"

"Doing that," I nodded at him. "Doing what my dad did." He seemed confused. "Making me aware and conscious of things. Asking me yes or no questions or saying yes or no statements to get me to communicate." He smiled at me for some reason.

"You just said it," He nodded at me. "Communication. If yes or no questions or statements are the only things you can use to communicate major things, then so be it." My grip slipped on his wrist, making me flinch. "Will you let me brush your hair?" I shook my head. "Is it scary?" I nodded. "Is it going to hurt?" I shook my head. "Can I brush it?" I shook my head. "Okay," He paused and handed me the brush. "We should eat now," He nodded and took his seat. As we ate, I peered up at him occasionally. I brought my legs up to my chest and watched the Tv until he told me it was late and we should sleep. 

The same thing happens each night now. He gets me from work, makes me dinner, and sits with me as we watch Tv. He tests his boundaries often, but he never crosses them. I've started to learn that he's actually a kind man, and isn't immune to feeling the same way other people do. I tend to observe him more than speak with him. It doesn't feel like we're cohabitating anymore. It feels like we're starting to understand each other. I wouldn't count him as a friend, but he isn't my enemy. Rio and Kei have been trying to do more with me since they're seeing me less and less. Tonight, I had off of work and decided to go with Rio and Kei to do things we'd normally do from before. 

"You seem to be in a better mood," Rio pointed out as he stuffed his face of food. I shook my head at him being a pig. "Are things going okay with him?" I shrugged quietly, picking at my food. "You still don't really talk much," He threw a napkin at me, making me snort at his actions. 

"It's not good or bad; it just is." The two looked at me silently. "He does the same things every night. He'll pick me up and bring me home. I shower while he finishes cooking dinner, then we sit in the living room and eat. Sometimes we have a very short conversation, but mostly it's quiet." 

"He has some solid willpower," Kei said, shaking his head. "Anyone would jump on the opportunity to make you theirs. Rio and I have had to fight off so many guys because you weren't interested." I was confused immediately. Kei made a face as if he didn't mean to out them. 

"Nice going, idiot," Rio snapped, both looking at me. "Once we all hit middle school age, the guys started to come around us more often because you were there, or so they thought. We were always getting in fights because they would make a crude comment or pass. You being you, well, it all went over your head. When we hit high school age, it was a lot tougher to make them all backdown." He pushed his food around as he spoke. I let out a laugh, making both look up at me.

"The only reason why others are interested is that I look like a freak," The two of them threw napkins at me. "My hair and eye colors don't really go with everyone else. I appreciate that you both fought for me without me knowing." The two immediately started to blush. "I was aware of attempts, but I was content with you two being my only friends because that was enough, and always will be."

"You're gonna make us cry," Rio whined, earning a look from Kei.

"Talk for yourself, idiot," The two started to bicker with each other. I definitely missed them a lot. I was so used to spending all my time with them; I forgot how much I did depend on them. The night went on, and we decided to go to the shop to grab some snacks. They wanted to have a sleepover, so obviously we need snacks. 

"What are you even talking about," Kei said in irritation as we walked into a corner store.

"I'm saying, coffee is just bean water," Rio said as he turned around to go to the snack aisle. I followed the two, smiling at their arguments. The owner seemed busy with something, so he didn't acknowledge us.

"Saying coffee is bean water is the same as saying you don't really eat a lollipop, you just swallow flavored spit." Rio looked at Kei in shock.

"First, gross. Second, just no."  I laughed gently as I grabbed a few snacks. "Bean water and flavored spit are not the same, Kei." I watched as Kei shoved Rio. The two argued quietly and were grabbing some snacks as they went. We were going to check out when we saw angry males enter the shop. The owner tried to greet them but was greeted with a weapon. Rio and Kei grabbed me, all three of us moving so we weren't seen. The two boys had me boxed in, shielding me just in case. We all listened to the arguments. It was something about owing money to someone and not being paid. When we heard gunshots and glass, we all covered our heads and stayed silent, but I made sure to push Kei in further to the other side because of possible bullets ricocheting. When the store fell silent after hearing quick footsteps leaving, we peered out to see the shop owner fearful, but unharmed. None of us could get up. "Did we just," Rio looked at Kei and me, who nodded. We just witnessed something we weren't supposed to. We sat in our spots for what seemed like hours before we heard someone enter the shop. The sound of familiar voices made me calm down. 

"Are you alright?" It was Kenny's voice. He was talking to the owner, who was shaken. I heard a few other voices that I know in passing, making me slightly relieved. "Footage?" I suppose this might be a place run by the Devil or his father. "Bossman, why are you here?" 

"I was told by Chance that this is a store the three come to for snacks. Akira was going to spend the night with one of the boys. I c-" My body moved on its own.  He stopped talking when I tugged on the bottom of his sweatshirt. The entire shop fell silent. "Are you three okay? Did any of you get hurt?"

"A-Akira moved Kei because of the gunfire. A bullet went into the wall where he would have been. So, no." Rio's voice was shaken and full of shock. I didn't really pay attention to anything else that was said. I've never really experienced gunfire. I know how to disarm someone, but in a situation like this, I was fearful. I'm just thankful the two boys are okay, and no one was hurt. My eyes wandered the floor, observing the glass that was scattered. They had no reason to do what they did. Shaking my head, I started to look around the front area. When I looked to where we were hiding, I saw that there was one of those mirrors. You could see it from the front; we were right there. I moved around to see where the bullet would have come from. "What is it?" Rio asked quietly as he appeared at my side.

"It was direct," I said quietly. He seemed confused. "There isn't a place where it could have ricocheted. It was a direct sh-" 

"Boss, come look at the footage." Kenny's voice seemed hard and angry. I panicked slightly when the Devil disappeared, but when he returned, he was angry. His eyes held his anger, not his face. 

"Are you three sure you're okay?" He repeated. I ignored the question and kept looking around. 

"They shot the glass," Kenny noted, shaking his head. "You are all really lu-" I interrupted him.

"It was from outside," He looked up at me in confusion. "The fall pattern of the majority of the glass suggests it was shot from outside. Even if this was a warning, it was poorly planned. It may mean that they're lingering." 

"How can you," He stopped himself as he stood up. "You think this was purposeful?" I nodded once before moving from the open entrance. "Alright, we need to get you three out of here." He said without leaving room for argument. We were leaving when I noticed that the Devil wasn't following, making me stop and stare at him. Someone made him look over to me. I watched as he approached me. He kept his distance and talked so only I could hear him.

"It's my job to handle this since it was my territory."

"Why can't Kenny do it?" The anger in his eyes disappeared immediately. "I don't think it's safe for you here, especially if Kenny leaves." He watched me with a different emotion.

"I'll be okay. Were you still going to spend the night?" I looked at Rio and Kei, who were shaken, but otherwise okay. 

"Will you be home?" He chuckled softly at my question. 

"At some point, yes." I nodded once at him, making him show a shocked expression.

"It's secure at home," I mumbled before turning to leave. The two boys told me I had to go home; they said that I'd feel better if I was in a high-security place. We were all video chatting for a few hours once we all got back, so we knew each other was okay. The two spent the night with Kenny and Chance anyway. We ended up watching a movie while video chatting, so we still ended up watching a movie. The boys said they were tired and went to bed. I sat on the couch in the living room, wide awake. I decided to shower because I know the Devil might not really be back tonight. I took my time in the shower and took my time getting mostly ready for bed.  I decided to sit in the living room for another hour to see if he'd be home.

The sound of the entrance door being unlocked made me panic from my seat on the sofa. For once, please be the Devil.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

1.2M 47.1K 37
Luca Giovanni. The heir to New York's biggest enterprise has a task to complete before his father will pass down the company to him- the company that...
269K 9.1K 31
Olivia. A young, naive, shy girl that somehow always saw the goodness in everyone... Well, more like someone. Angelo. Olivia's best friend for as l...
1.1M 38.5K 32
**Cover by @AndiApplexoxo** He was nothing like other men that she'd met in her life. He was different. She knew he was. But he was forbidden. She w...
32.2K 1K 35
He stepped even closer so close that our nose was touching and I could feel his minty breath on my face. Oh no wrong move. "I was just cleaning it"...