And I'd Do It Again

By NeneJPhilly

Mercedes Jones is a college freshman just trying to survive her first year of university but when her childho... More

In the Beginning
Thanks Shall Be Givin
It Feels a Lot Like Slapsgiving
Going Back to the Beginning
Lust is Your New Best Friend
What's Your Truth?
Laying Foundation
First Date Jitters
Operation: Quick Part I
Operation: Quick Part II
Cheater, Cheater, Pumpkin Eater
The Prodigal Child Returns
Backpacking Across Europe but Not Really
Trial Separation
Shop Around
Graduates Please Stand Up
Shh! We're Hunting Apartments
This is Our Breakup Song
Mi Familia
Dance Party
Days are Just Pages on a Calendar
Kung Fu Fighting
Smashing Glasses
Lake Day Part I
Lake Day Part II
Not Interchangeable
Double Dating
Everybody Talks
Martie: Boo Thang and RT
Realizations
Dinner
Love is for Suckas Part I
Love is for Suckas Part II
Wallowing
Birthday Song
The Storm & the Aftermath
Can We Talk?
Friday is Funday
The Magic's All Run Out
Try, Try Again
Picture Day
We're Moving On Up
In Your Darkest Nights
We Can't Stop
About Last Friday Night
Family Togetherness
Maddie Day
We Bought a Zoo
Camera Ready
She Knows
Goldfish Part I
Goldfish Part II
Hang On, We're Going Home
In the End

Graduation

47 2 0
By NeneJPhilly

Mercedes dialed Mike again. "Come on! Come on! Pick up!"

"Still not answering?" Quinn folded her arms across her chest.

"No! Where are they?! They should have been home hours ago!"

Tina walked in from the bathroom. "My mom is downstairs. I gotta go. I'll see you guys later."

"Come by after graduation." Mercedes said as she got voicemail again. "I have a present for you."

"You do?!" Tina hugged her. "Is it because the boys got a party?"

"No, I just thought you'd love it."

"I'm sure I will. Well I gotta go. See you later." Tina waved and then she was gone.

"Call Marcy." Quinn suggested.

"Good idea." Mercedes tried their sister. After a few rings, a groggy voice answered. Mercedes put her on speakerphone. "Hello? Marcy? Can you hear me?"

Marcy groaned. "Why are you so loud?"

"Hungover." Quinn shook her head.

"Marcy, where are you guys?" Mercedes rolled her eyes.

Marcy groaned again. "Wherever we are, it's bright."

"Please tell me you're somewhere safe!"

Marcy sniffed. "We're at the beach."

"The beach?!" Mercedes and Quinn echoed.

"Too loud. Too loud." Marcy moaned.

Mercedes lowered her voice. "Do you have a way to get home? Where is everyone else? Why didn't Mikey answer his phone?"

"That's a lot of questions. Who is this?"

"Marcy! You don't know who you're talking to?!"

"You're a loud somebody..."

Mercedes pulled a face as Quinn laughed silently. "It's Mercy, you drunk."

Marcy made a sound through her nose. "What time is it?"

"Eight o'clock!"

"Wake me up in an hour."

"You need to come home now! Jr. is graduating today! So is Artie, Blaine and Sammy!"

Marcy took a quick intake of breath. "Holy crap! You're right! Oh shoot! I sat up too fast! Whoa! Okay, we'll be back as soon as possible!"

Mercedes pursed her lips to keep from laughing. "You have two hours. Hurry up."

Marcy hung up.

Mercedes set her phone aside. "They're not going to make it."

Quinn shook her head.

M&MC

Marcy put her phone back in her pocket and turned to her right. Mal was still technically wrapped around her. She pushed at his shoulder, knowing he was going to be a pain to wake up. "Mal? It's time to wake up."

Mal simply slept on.

She leaned over and kissed him. He stirred awake and as she leaned back, he followed. She pushed him away gently. "Time to wake up."

He blinked blearily. "Huh?"

"It's time to wake up."

"No!" He whined.

She cupped his cheeks. "Yes. You have to get up. You're graduating today."

His face clearly said he didn't care.

"I know you don't care at the moment but once we get some coffee in you, you will."

He sighed and leaned against her.

"I know. I think I still have some of that in my system, too." She patted his face.

He huffed. "This is really happening?"

"Yeah. We're getting up."

"This blows."

She smiled. "Come on. Up on your feet." She sat him up then climbed to her own feet unsteadily.

He got up and staggered. "Where are we?"

"The beach." She went to Karou and pulled on her arm. She only slid off of Finn onto the sand. "Wake up, Rou!"

Karou groaned. "No!"

"Sand is getting up your skirt!"

It took a minute to sink in but her eyes flew open. "What?!"

"Wake up. It's time to go."

Karou snatched her hand back. "You're mean!"

"Okay, we'll just leave you here." Marcy went to wake up Artie and by proximity, Santana. "Artman? You gotta wake up, bro."

Artie peeled open his eyes. "Hey, Boo Thang. What's up?"

"You gotta wake up, homeslice. It's your graduation day."

He took a deep breath and patted Santana's behind on accident before realizing she was on his lap and his chair was parked on sand. "Wake up, woman. We got to hit the bricks."

Mal scratched his head. So far he'd woken up Freddie, Joey and Kerani but he knew waking up Marc was going to be the true test of courage. How was he going to go about this? "Marce?"

Marcy looked over from prodding Blaine. "Yeah?"

"How are we going to get Marc up?"

"Leave him for last."

"Got it." Mal went to Monty.

Marcy sank to her knees next to Mike and pulled his torso on her lap before stroking his face. "Mikey? Mikey?"

Mike fought consciousness.

She continued rubbing his face. "Wake up, Mikey."

It was too much to ignore. Mike peeled open an eye. He grunted.

"Time to wake up, Mikey."

He turned on his side.

She slapped his chest. "Wake up, dammit!"

He sulked. "I don't want to!"

"We'll leave you here!"

He thought about it.

"Mikey!"

"Okay, okay!" He sat up.

Marcy crawled over to Sam. He was the last one awake (aside from the comatose Marc). "Sam? Sammy boy?" She pushed at his shoulder.

"It might take a bit." Artie told her. "He's dead to the world."

"That's dead to the world." She pointed to Marc. "This just requires some thinking." She tilted his head back and opened his mouth before blowing into it.

Sam coughed.

Marcy did it again.

He coughed again and woke up. "Marcy?"

She smiled at his rough tone. "My bad breath woke you up."

He smacked his lips. "Where are we?"

"The beach. Come on." She helped him sit up. "You're graduating today."

He clutched his head. "It's really bright."

"That's the sun and it's a bitch when you're hungover."

He groaned.

She got up and went to Marc, where she fell on him. He jackknifed and awoke. "Marce?!"

"Oh, hi." She climbed off him.

He glared at her as he winced. "Somebody turn the sun off!"

"Or at least down." Joey was rumpled. His clothes, his whole aura just screamed rumpled.

"Get in the limo." Marcy pushed at Mike. "We have graduations to get ready for and we look a fright. Plus there's bacteria in the sand and the longer it takes to clean it off, the longer we're exposed to it."

The group grimaced before heading to the parked limo and getting inside.

Marcy knocked on the window, startling the driver. "We'd like to get home in under two hours."

He nodded and got out to put Artie's chair in the trunk.

Marcy got in the back and made herself comfortable against Karou and Artie and settled in for the long drive home.

M&MC

Mercedes set the phone down. "They just got back in town."

"Are we going to make them breakfast? They have to have hangovers from hell." Quinn ate oatmeal.

"It'd have to be greasy. Sop up some of that alcohol." She went to the refrigerator to pull things out. "I can make a breakfast casserole while you make pancakes."

"I knew I was wrong for saying "we"." Quinn frowned.

Mercedes laughed. "Come on."

Marcus strode in as they were working. "I'm glad you're making breakfast."

"Momma has a wedding." Mercedes told him. "She left early. Do you want some oatmeal?"

"Oatmeal?! You're making potatoes!"

"This is for Marcy, Karou and the guys."

He was offended. "Why do they get a good breakfast while I'm served gruel?!"

"Daddy! Oatmeal is not gruel! And they hung out all night. They've got to be hungry."

"I'm hungry!"

Mercedes facepalmed. "You can have some. Are you happy?"

"I should have been offered first." He sniffed before going to sit down. "At least you made coffee."

"Pop." Quinn shook her head.

He rustled the paper indignantly.

Mercedes turned on the radio and continued making breakfast.

Twenty minutes later, Marcy, Mal, Mike, Marc, Karou, Kerani, Greg, Freddie, Monty, Timmy, Jamie and Joey wandered in. "It smells good in here!"

"We figured you'd be hungry." Mercedes started cutting squares out of her breakfast casserole.

Quinn grabbed a bunch of plates and set them out. "I made carrot cake pancakes."

"Always pawning your favorite vegetable on people!" Marcy washed her hands.

Quinn glared at her. "You could use the enhanced eyesight!"

"That's just a myth." She sat at the table as others washed their hands.

"That is not true." Quinn lifted her nose in the air.

"Then why do you still wear glasses?"

Quinn gasped in outrage.

The others snickered.

Mercedes waved her spatula. "Stop being bad while you're eating. You'll get a cramp."

"Isn't that what Momma would always say?" Marc poured syrup over his pancakes.

"Figures." Marcy muttered.

"Be nice." Mercedes stuck her bottom lip out. "How was last night?"

Marcy shrugged and swallowed what was in her mouth. "I don't remember."

"What?!" Everyone looked at her.

"I don't remember." She shrugged again.

"How much did you drink?" Quinn gaped.

"By the headache I have, I'd say a lot. I remember two- no, three things from last night."

"What are they?" Mal asked.

"I remember singing in the limo. I remember Santana and Artie disappearing together-"

"What?!" Mercedes and Quinn shouted.

"Guys!" Marc held his head.

"I'm sorry but you're going to have to repeat that one!" Mercedes was blown away.

"Oh yeah. They totally hooked up. But you can't tell." Marcy looked at Mercedes expressly.

The purple haired brunette frowned. "Why are you looking at me?!"

"Because you gossip."

"Humph!" Mercedes sulked. "I don't always!"

"Eh." Mike tilted his hand. "It's a lot."

She gasped and hit his shoulder. "It is not!"

"I know stuff about all your friends because you even gossip to yourself." Mal stuffed food into his mouth. "You write everything in your diary."

"I'm going to kill you! Stop reading my diary!"

"Stop gossiping!"

"I don't gossip!" Everyone looked to her. "A lot!"

"Yes, you do." Marc went for another pancake.

"It's a quirk." Karou shrugged.

"Ooh! You wish I'd tell you what Annabelle said about you! But I won't because I'm not a gossip!" Mercedes shook her finger at her.

"I don't care what Annabelle says. About anything."

Mercedes groaned in frustration. "You really want to know! It's good! She told London and London told Natalia and Natalia told me!"

"I don't care." Karou poured a cup of coffee.

"You're all gossips." Joey shook his head.

"Tell me! I wanna know!" Quinn frowned.

Mercedes whispered it in her ear.

Quinn's eyes widened. "She didn't!"

"Yes, she did!"

"I still don't care." Karou lifted a brow.

"I wanna know." Greg looked between them.

"You're going to be so mad, Rou." Quinn shook her head.

"I don't care." Karou repeated.

"Look at her. She's bursting to tell." Marcy gestured to Mercedes.

"Of course. The gossip wants to gossip."

Mercedes glared at her. "I fixed you breakfast, you ingrate!"

"I'm very grateful... for breakfast."

"Fine!" Mercedes sat on Mike's lap and put her arms around his neck. "How are you doing?"

He chuckled. "You can tell me and I won't call you a gossip. Anymore."

She whispered in his ear.

His eyes widened. "Yeah, I don't think you should tell her. That'd start a bunch of stuff."

"She should know someone thinks that way about her!"

"Rou doesn't need to be in any more fights."

Karou lifted a brow. "What now?"

"But I gotta tell her." Mercedes whined. "Or you can tell her!"

"I am not." Mike said immediately. "I am minding my own business."

She frowned and turned to Marcy and said it in Greek.

Marcy's brows lifted.

"What'd she say, CC?" Karou demanded.

"I thought she was a gossip?"

"She is."

"I thought you didn't care?"

"I don't."

"Then why do you want to know?"

Karou glared. "Just tell me!"

"Nope." Marcy drained her coffee and stood up.

"Hey, wait!" Mal grabbed her hand. "What else do you remember about last night?"

Marcy shrugged. "Just that my last full memory was having dinner. It was good."

"That's it?"

"What else is there? We couldn't have done anything too crazy. I don't have any new tats." She joked.

"Humph." He grunted and let her go. "I gotta go get ready. Mom's probably worried about us, Mike."

Mike patted Mercedes' bottom. "I need a shower."

"Are you sticky, too?" Marcy asked as she rubbed her throat.

"I got sand everywhere." He stood up when Mercedes let him up.

"I think we all do." Kerani finished his coffee. "How did we end up on the beach anyway?"

"I don't know." Jamie blinked. "I don't think I remember too much from last night either."

"You must have been doing some heavy duty drinking." Marcus smirked.

"Uncle Marcus, I don't remember anything!" Monty swore.

"I'm not going to lie, stuff faded in and out with me, too." Mike admitted lowly.

"We can't drink like that no more." Marc vowed. "I know I destroyed a couple brain cells last night."

"It's a good thing you're a genius." Marcy blinked in pure innocence.

Mercedes looked at the time. "Go on! Go! Graduation starts in less than an hour!"

The room jumped to and ran to different places.

M&MC

Mercedes held a wiggling Mally on her lap. "Look! There's Daddy!"

Mally waved to his father on stage and grinned up at his aunt. "Daddy!"

"Yeah! That's Daddy! He's graduating. Can you say graduating?"

"Granuating?" He tried.

"Yeah." She kissed his cheek then wiped off her muted pink lipstick stain.

Mally turned back to the stage and waved his arms.

Mercedes leaned on Marcy. "He's so cute! He's so excited!"

"He has no idea what's going on." Marcy smirked.

"But he's happy. That's all that matters."

"He usually is. They both are." She gestured to Mickey on her lap.

Mercedes looked at the little girl with a sky blue dress on with matching bonnet. She was staring at the stage in awe. "So cute. They were like this at your graduation. Riveted."

"I don't see what's so riveting. This is boring." Marcy yawned.

"You're just still drunk."

"That may well be true."

"But?"

"No buts."

Mercedes giggled. "Look at Grandfather. He's scowling so hard that the salutatorian is shaking."

"Poor kid."

"Why is he upset anyway?"

"You know that's just his face."

Mercedes giggled hard. "Doesn't mean it isn't frightening."

"Frankenstein's monster usually is."

Mercedes elbowed her sister gently. "He's not a monster."

"Have you heard the talk around Hiroshima?"

Mercedes looked back at Po. "I hope he's being safe at least."

"Always be prepared to die."

Mercedes frowned. "That was creepy. Don't say that."

"Why? It's true. Always be prepared for this to be your last day on Earth."

"You're so morbid."

"I am not."

"Yes, you are. But I love you anyway."

"Lucky me..."

Mercedes elbowed her again. "So you really don't remember anything from last night?"

"Nope. It's just blank. But that's okay. I don't usually act crazy so I shouldn't have last night."

"Are you going to ask anyone what happened?"

"Nah. I don't really care."

"Can you believe what Annabelle said about Karou?"

Marcy blew out a breath. "I know if she had said that about me; it'd be a fight."

"Then I shouldn't tell you that she did."

"What?!" Marcy whipped around to stare at her. People shushed her and she flipped them off. "Say that one more time."

"She said you were two peas in a pod and that you were just alike."

Marcy's teeth clicked as she clenched her jaw.

"You are angry." Mercedes could see the fiery pits of hell in her sister's green eyes.

Marcy unlocked her phone and texted Karou exactly what their cousin had said about her.

Mercedes leaned back to see how Karou was taking it.

It didn't take long. "What?!"

The speaker tapped the microphone and repeated what he said.

Mercedes could see Karou speed texting. "She might be texting her. Do you think it'll be bad?"

Marcy's phone lit up. She looked at it then typed back. "Let's just say I can't wait to get to Italy. I'm beating her until I get tired."

"It was pretty ugly. But you know? I think she wanted Karou to know. Both of you."

"Why do you say that?" Marcy frowned as she texted.

"She told London, who was definitely going to tell Quinn, Natalia or me. Quinn or Natalia would have told me. I was going to tell you and you were going to tell Rou."

"I almost didn't."

"But you did and you're both mad."

"I'm kicking her ass."

Mercedes pursed her lips. "I can't save her. That was really ugly."

"You ain't seen ugly."

Mercedes gulped. It wasn't on her. Annabelle said it. She just hoped blood wouldn't be shed.

M&MC

Mal walked to his family. "Hey, guys. Let's go."

"Don't you want pictures with your friends?" Jeanette asked.

"No, I'm good."

"Are you going to see them at the senior party later?" Judy wanted to know.

"I'm not going."

"Why not?" Rose seemed hurt. "It's going to be the last time you see your friends before you leave. You'll never see them again."

"I'm okay with that."

"These people probably aren't worth knowing." Marcy and Po said in unison. She grinned and he inclined his head.

Mal snorted. "They're okay but I'd rather be with family."

"Family is everything." Victoria hugged him. "I'm proud of you, Mr. Valedictorian."

He grinned. "Thanks."

"Well let's go to the house. I've prepared refreshments." Jeanette clapped.

Mal really just wanted to leave before any of his friends saw his children. He was busy ushering them out and was almost home free when he felt a tap on his back. He cringed, hoping it wasn't Ellen.

Luckily, it was just Chase. "Hey! Where you going?"

"Home. Don't need anybody seeing the twins and leaping to the right conclusions."

His friend's fair brows lifted. "You're right. How about I come over before the senior party?"

"I'm not going."

"What?! Why not?!"

"It's a stupid party with people I've seen every day for four years. I'm good. I just want to spend time with my family."

"Oh ho ho!" Chase elbowed him. "You want to get alone with Marcy. I get ya!"

"I'm not going to be alone with her. Our parents will be there. Our grandparents will be there. Our siblings will be there. Our cousins will be there. Our children will be there. We won't be alone."

"I think you can find some time to be alone." Chase waggled his eyebrows.

"Come over. You'll see. Nothing's going on."

"I'll come over but something better be going on." Chase walked back to his family.

Mal rolled his eyes before getting in the car.

"Who that?" Mickey asked.

"Daddy's boneheaded friend." He touched her hand.

"Bone?"

"Yup. Boneheaded."

M&MC

Mercedes breathed in the fresh air as she walked home. She was going to meet Tina to give her, her present. She saw her house in the distance and strode towards it lazily.

Her life was pretty good. She had a loving family, a supportive boyfriend and great friends. She had her health, her faith and all her teeth and hair. She was good.

Except her loving family was in the middle of a crisis, she was earning back the trust of her supportive boyfriend and her friends had no idea she was dating said boyfriend.

But other than that, she was golden. She stopped on her porch and sighed. Things could always be worse so she should just focus on the good things. Heaven knew it could all go to crap any minute. At the moment, everyone was happy and getting along.

Let's hope it stays that way...

"Mercedes!"

Mercedes turned around and saw Tina getting out of her mom's car. "Hey, T!"

Tina shut the door and waved to her mother before running up the walkway in four inch heels. "Why are you outside?"

"I just came home. You look nice."

"Thank you! You look so good!"

"Well of course." Mercedes teased.

"Where were you? Did Mal's graduation run late or something?"

"No. We're at his house. I didn't know we'd be over there when I told you to come by."

"Oh. So what's my present?"

Mercedes unlocked the door and went inside. "Close your eyes."

"It's out here?" Tina slammed her eyes shut.

Mercedes pulled her inside and took the keys off the hook. "Hold your hands out."

Tina shoved her hands out and wiggled.

Mercedes dropped the keys into her hands. "Happy graduation!"

Tina opened her eyes and screamed. "A car?! You bought me a car?!"

"No!" Mercedes cleared that up immediately. "I'm giving you my car."

"I don't care if it's used! It's a car!" Tina jumped around.

Mercedes giggled. "I hoped you'd like it."

"I love it!" Tina hugged her.

"I also have a surprise for you."

"What else could you give me?"

"You'll see." Mercedes ushered her out and walked her around the corner.

"You're taking me to Mike's house?" Tina was confused.

"Yes."

"To see Mike?"

"No." Mercedes' jealousy rose.

"To see Mal?"

It deflated. "No."

"To see their parents?"

"Stop guessing. You'll ruin the surprise." Mercedes ordered.

"Okay." Tina toddled alongside her as they walked around the corner.

They made it to the house and Mercedes opened the door with her key.

"You have a key? You really are close."

Mercedes smirked. "We all have keys to each other's houses. How else are we supposed to get in?"

"Most people knock."

"We're not most people." Mercedes shut and locked the door behind her. "Come on. I want you to meet somebody."

Tina followed her through the house but stopped at a picture on the wall. "Here it is! The picture of you guys as trees!"

Mercedes walked back to it and studied it. "Yup. It was a play for Earth Day."

"You all look so miserable." Tina smiled.

"That play had problems from start to finish." Mercedes sighed.

"I think I can kinda see where it's you."

"I don't look that different, do I?"

"Looking between you, no. I've just never seen a baby picture of you. You were really cute."

"Thank you!" Mercedes smiled.

"Did Quinn say Mal dyed her hair brown?"

Mercedes chuckled. "He's bad."

"I would have killed him."

"She tried." Mercedes led the way to the kitchen. "Are you thirsty?"

"Uh sure."

Mercedes ladled out two cups of punch. "Marcy made it so be prepared for it to knock you out."

Tina took a sip. "Why do you say that? Oh my! I could blow on a match and start a fire!"

"See? She likes pouring more alcohol than anything else."

"But it's good though." Tina continued to sip.

"She has the magic touch. I'm surprised Joey let her do it though. He's the bartender."

"Of the family?"

"No, he's actually a bartender. He started when he was seventeen."

"Oh! Wow. That's fun. Is it a bar like Coyote Ugly?"

Mercedes laughed. "No way. But I have to make that joke. Come on. I still have to introduce you to somebody."

Tina trailed behind her as she went to the den. She stopped in her tracks when she saw a certain person sitting on a couch, sipping punch.

Mercedes turned and saw her in the doorway. She pulled on her arm. "Don't get shy on me."

"No! I can't talk to Gertie Chang!" Tina whispered with wide eyes.

"Why not?" Mercedes yanked her to the couch. "Mamma?"

Gertie smiled. "Mercy."

"Mamma, meet my friend, Tina. T, meet my Mamma, Gertie Chang."

Gertie looked at Tina's slack expression and her smile deepened. "Hello, Tina."

Tina felt close to fainting. "You're Gertie Chang!"

Gertie chuckled. "I am."

"Another fan, dear?" Michael Sr. lifted a brow.

"Not sure. Are you fan, Tina?"

Tina squeaked.

"She's a fan, Pappa." Mercedes said. "She's just really shy."

"Come. Sit by me, Tina." Gertie patted the cushion next to her.

Tina sat like her legs gave out. "I can't believe I'm sitting next to Gertie Chang."

Mercedes grinned. "You're sitting next to Gertie Chang."

Tina squeaked again.

Gertie chuckled. "You compliment me."

"Oh my goodness, I love you!" It came out as one long word.

"Go on."

"You're the best model to come out of Japan!"

"Keep going."

"You're my inspiration! I went as you for Halloween for years!"

"Yes."

Mercedes swatted her grandmother. "Mamma! Don't sit up there and have her rave about you!"

"But I love it. And I deserve it."

Michael Sr. rolled his eyes. "Models."

"What that mean?!" Gertie set her hand on her hip.

"You angry." He noticed. "You pretty."

"That won't always work."

"I don't need always."

Gertie waved him away. She turned back to a gaping Tina. "You married?"

"Mamma, this is America." Mercedes gave a long suffering sigh. "Nobody gets married."

"Smart." Michael Sr. grunted.

Gertie slapped his arm. "You are a lady. You will marry soon. What is a woman without a man?"

"Mamma, you were there for the seventies!" Mercedes gasped.

"Dreadful times." She tossed her head. "You will marry soon and be beautiful bride."

"I want to get married, yes but it's not going to be for a while."

"Me either." Tina spoke up. "I need to find a man first."

"Mercy has-"

"Mamma!" Mercedes cut Gertie off then switched to Japanese. "She doesn't know about me and Mikey yet. I don't want her to."

"Why?" Gertie asked in English.

Mercedes sighed and rolled her eyes. "She's his ex-girlfriend and one of my best friends."

"Rubbish." Michael Sr. shifted in his seat. "If you were married when you were young like your Mamma and me, you would avoid all this."

Mercedes huffed. "Our parents wanted us to marry for love."

"You would grow to love each other." Gertie said in Japanese.

"Didn't you love Pappa since before you got married?"

"I was a child. I knew nothing of the world." Gertie folded her arms.

Michael Sr. swung around to glare at her. "What does that mean?!"

"I should have married Chen Xiu when I had the chance."

"Who is Chen Xiu?" Mercedes wanted to know.

"Annoying twerp." Michael Sr. sniped. "I had to teach him manners on a number of occasions.

Gertie smiled slyly. "He was very attractive and his family was long standing in the community."

Mercedes saw what her grandmother was doing. She was making her grandfather jealous on purpose. "Mamma."

"He was!" Gertie insisted. "He had charm and was suave."

"He was a snake oil salesman!" Michael Sr. snarled.

"Pappa, your heart!" Mercedes worried.

He clutched his chest as he glared at his wife. "I bet my blood pressure is up!"

"Ask Michael to take your pressure." Gertie wasn't falling for his games.

"He's not a heart doctor!"

"And you never let him forget it."

"Cardiology is a noble profession!"

"So is otolaryngology!"

"Guys!" Mercedes broke in. "Talk to Tina, Mamma. I'll get you a scotch, Pappa."

"I like a good scotch." Michael Sr. nodded to himself and shifted on the couch.

Gertie rolled her eyes hard and turned to a confused Tina. "When you first see me?"

"Um..." Tina stammered. She looked at Mercedes, who made the universal sign for keep going. "I was a little girl. We were visiting Korea and I saw your face on a magazine."

Gertie brightened. "I beautiful?"

"Yes."

"What I wearing?"

Mercedes slipped away to get her grandfather that scotch.

Mike wandered into the kitchen and kissed her bare shoulder. "Hey."

She jumped. "Don't do that!"

"Why? I shaved." He ran a hand over his jaw.

"No. Tina's here."

"T? Why?"

"I gave her the keys to my- her car. Then I wanted her to meet Mamma."

"Oh. She'd love that."

"I think she does but Mamma keeps trying to make Pappa jealous-"

Mike threw his head back and laughed. Loudly.

"That's not funny." She played with his tie. "He got really mad."

"He'll get over it and they'll make up. They always do..."

"Yeah but she's a mess. She almost told T about us then demanded I get married!"

"To who?"

Mercedes stared at him.

"I'm joking. We'll get there. She's just being a Mamma. You know they have to pry and meddle."

"Well it's annoying and I'm ready to leave that old lady forever!"

Mike laughed. "Want me to save you?"

"I was thinking of inviting Mr. Shue over."

Mike raised a brow.

"No, here me out! He really loves Grandmom and she'd love meeting him! He's a superfan! Everything would be perfect for them!"

"If you think so."

"I do." She hugged him.

"Oh, what are you doing? I thought you didn't want her to know? Why are you hugging me?"

"She's in the den and I feel like hugging you." She held him tight.

He hugged her back. "I guess I can indulge you."

She hugged him until she tired of standing still then released him. "I have to get this to Pappa before he thinks I fell in."

Mike picked up the bottle. "You'd be a genie. I could see you in the outfit."

Mercedes blushed. "Shut up."

He grinned. "That's not nice."

"You're not nice."

"I'm not Marcy."

She giggled. "You know she's mad at Annabelle."

"Why'd you tell her that she said that about her, too? She said she sent her a text telling her to get her affairs in order."

"She doesn't waste any time, does she?"

"When has she ever?"

"Where is she now?"

"She's talking to Dad about the shop. He's thinking of investing."

"Oh, that'd be amazing!"

"Pop already did."

"I'm going to have to talk to her about it. She hasn't told me a word. Speaking of. I want to know about last night. Everything you remember."

"Some of it's pretty boring." He leaned his hip against the island.

"Really?" She smiled and her eyes shone.

"I just got lap dance after lap dance."

Her face cracked. "What?!"

"Yeah, all these half naked women were splayed across my body all night." He kept a straight face.

"Michael Patrick Chang the Fourth!" She slammed the tumbler down. "I will kill you!"

He chuckled. "I like jealous on you."

She breathed deeply as her brain told her he was teasing her. "You are definitely not funny!"

"It'll be payback for tonight." He kissed her cheek.

"What's tonight?" She was drawing a blank.

"Dinner with Aaron."

She blinked. "Oh yeah. Well let me go. I still have to call Mr. Shue."

He kissed her quickly and walked out.

She picked up the glass of scotch and walked back to the den. She'd forgotten all about that. What was she gonna do? She couldn't let them meet! Could she? No. She wasn't looking to get rid of both of them.

She needed help.

M&MC

"Hi, Mr. Shue!" Mercedes smiled as she let him in.

"Hello, Mercedes." He smiled back in slight confusion. "So what's up? Why did you need me to come over?"

"You'll see." She took his hand and led him to the living room.

"Where are we going? Are you having a party? Isn't that your brother?"

"Shhh!" Mercedes pulled him to a stop. "Mr. Shue? Meet Christina Barnes. Grandmom, meet Mr. William Schuester."

Mr. Shue frowned in total confusion. "Huh?!"

"Hello." Christina smiled.

"You're- you're- you're-"

"Christina Barnes." Mercedes whispered.

Mr. Shue's eyes rolled back in his head and he hit the floor like he'd been clubbed.

Mercedes gasped. "Mr. Shue!"

M&MC

Mercedes smiled at Tina talking animatedly with Gertie and Mr. Shue gazing at Christina with hearts in his eyes and an ice pack on his head as she talked. She felt like she did a good thing. Now for that goodwill to come back to her...

She went to the kitchen and refilled her cup. Seconds later, her sisters walked in. "Oh good. You're here. I have less than an hour before we leave. What am I going to do?!"

"About what?" Maddie was just glad to be included in a grown up discussion.

"Mikey's meeting Mercy's boyfriend." Marcy said.

Maddie's eyes widened. "You have another boyfriend?! And Mikey's okay with it?!"

"He is not my boyfriend!" Mercedes kissed her teeth.

"Yeah but he wanna be." Marcy played with her cup.

"Because Dominic didn't want to be with you!"

"He didn't know me. He didn't really want to be with me. I was just a new toy." Marcy waved a hand.

"We're going to have to talk about your self-esteem." Laura told her before turning to Mercedes. "Why are they meeting?"

"Mikey said he wanted to meet him when he forgave me but he said yesterday that he was ready." Mercedes huffed. "We're going to Breadstix in an hour."

"Why does he want to meet him? That doesn't make any sense!" Quinn didn't get it.

Marcy did. "He wants to see what's so great about Aaron that caused you to stray."

"You think so?" Mercedes leaned against the counter.

"Of course. He wants to look this dude in his eye and see what it is that he doesn't have enough of."

"He's got more than enough of everything! I don't want Aaron!"

"He has to work through that on his own. He needs to see him and see you together."

"And you think this is a good idea?"

"Hell no! He might have more questions and those will be awkward as all get out to answer!"

Mercedes whined. "How am I going to get out of this?!"

"I think this might just be your cross to bear, Mercy." Laura shook her head. "You did stray and this is your punishment. It's not that steep. You're lucky he forgave you. Be glad this is the only thing he requires."

"Actually he wants to read all our texts messages, he doesn't want us alone or out at night and I can't call him a lot."

"He does not trust you!" Quinn stared in awe.

"Yes, he does." Marcy chewed on her thumb. "He's putting his trust back in her but he's not stupid. He will not be blindsided again."

"I'm never going to do this again." Mercedes shook her head empathically.

"Why'd you cheat in the first place?" Maddie wanted to know. "How can you cheat on Mikey in the first place?"

Mercedes sighed. "It's complicated, Mad." She caught Marcy's face. "What?!"

"That's bull-!" Marcy started.

"Marcy!" Laura chastised.

"Complicated my foot! You met a guy that you liked and you stopped thinking and just reacted. You weren't paying attention and it blew up in your face."

"Thank you!" Mercedes frowned.

"Well it did."

"Didn't it blow up in your face when Jr. got mad at you?"

"Uh... no. Jr.'s not my boyfriend. I didn't care if he knew about Dominic."

"Fine. What about Pierre? Didn't that blow up in your face?"

"Not really because I told on myself and he forgave me without any demands."

"Doesn't that just prove that he doesn't love you?" Quinn asked.

"He doesn't love me! He doesn't know me!"

"Then why in the world did he forgive you?" Laura raised a brow smugly. "I wouldn't forgive a person I just met for cheating on me. And twice at that. We'd be done and I wouldn't look back."

"Like Puck said, he's a sucker." Quinn crowed.

"You cheated on Pierre? Twice?!" Maddie glared at Marcy. "You don't want him! Just be with Mal!"

"Look, little one." Marcy glared back. "Jr. and I are done. We're never getting back together-"

"Isn't that a song?" Quinn quipped dryly.

"Ever!" Marcy encompassed her in that glare as well. "I'm with Pierre now and I'm faithful now. I don't care why he forgave me but he did and I'm going to be the best girlfriend I can to him. Period!"

"Alright." Mercedes rubbed her back. "I think you can do it."

"Just take your lumps and call us when it's over." Marcy walked out.

Laura smoothed Maddie's hair from her upset face. "Are you alright?"

"No! I want them together!" Maddie sulked. "I'm trying to be supportive about her and Pierre but I hate him! Why'd she have to meet him?!"

"I don't know, honey but she did and we have to accept that." She kissed the side of her head. "She just needs a break from Jr. to see how she really feels. When she's comfortable, she'll go back to him. Promise."

"What if he has a girlfriend by then?"

"We can ruin that." Quinn waved a hand.

"Quinn!" Mercedes glared at her.

"What?! He loved Ellen, didn't he and that didn't work out. Any other girl would have to live up to her and we're going to make sure she doesn't."

"We shouldn't interfere in his love life."

"I'm making sure he doesn't fall in love with someone else. I don't have to interfere with Marcy's relationship. He's too much of a pushover and she's going to get bored and cheat again. He cannot keep forgiving her for cheating."

"Logically speaking, it's just a matter of time." Laura pursed her lips thoughtfully.

"And our favorite OTP will be back together by the time school starts." Quinn shrugged victoriously.

"You got this all figured out?" Mercedes lifted her brows.

"Yup!"

Maddie smiled. "What if he cheats on her?"

"What?" Quinn looked at her askance.

"What if he cheats on her back to get even for her cheating on him? It could happen."

"Pierre doesn't seem the type." Mercedes was flabbergasted.

"You know what Marcy says; Everyone's a cheater at heart."

"She's pessimistic and that's not true. Don't go around believing that."

Maddie smirked. "What if he does though? Cheat on her?"

"One of two things." Laura sighed. "Either she won't care or she'll kill him."

"And after all the trouble she's going through to be faithful, she'll kill him." Quinn grinned. "You want him to die, don't you, MadCap?"

"We can just tell her that he did. Who is she going to believe? Her sisters or some man?" Maddie pressed her hands together excitedly.

"Stop that, Maddie!" Mercedes was disappointed in her. "We can't lie on this man just so we can have her go running to Mal! And Jr. might not welcome her after she snubbed him."

Quinn scoffed. "He better! All this talk about loving her and fighting for her is going to amount to something!"

"Men have their pride." Laura pointed out.

"He's going to have to get over that."

Mercedes chuckled. "I can't with you! You two stop plotting! Laura, help me decide if I should change or not."

"No. Mikey will think you're trying to get pretty for Aaron." Laura shook her head.

"Who is Aaron?" Maddie asked.

"I'll tell you later." Quinn patted her hand. "But he's totally cute. Right, Merce?"

Mercedes' eyes widened. "Q!"

M&MC

Mike whistled to himself as he drove to Breadstix. He knew his girlfriend was totally nervous but he was about to meet the guy that stole her attention (if for a little while). That was huge.

He'd attempted small talk but she would only give one and two word answers as she fidgeted and stared out the window. So he'd given up and concentrated on driving.

He pulled into the parking lot and found a spot easily. He parked and turned off the car and looked at her. "Ready?"

"Uh huh." She took off her seatbelt.

"Okay, come on." He got out and went around to open her door. She stepped out stiffly and he put his arm around her and led her inside. "So where is he?"

She scanned the restaurant. "There."

Mike looked over the guy. He didn't look too impressive. "Let's go."

Mercedes tried to be optimistic. Honestly, how bad could this go? She grabbed Mike's hand as they neared the table and saw Aaron's eyes widened at the contact.

They stopped at the table and Aaron stood. "Good evening."

"Hi, Aaron." She smiled. "Aaron, this is Mike. Mikey, this is Aaron."

"Nice... to meet you." Aaron stuck his hand out.

Mike grasped it and shook it twice before letting him go. "Likewise."

They just stood there as Mike looked at Aaron, Aaron looked at Mike and Mercedes looked at Mike.

A waiter cleared his throat. "Excuse me? Are you ready to order?"

Mike looked at him. "Could you give us a moment?"

"Sure." The waiter walked away.

Mike pulled out a chair for Mercedes. She sat down and he pushed her in. He sat next to her.

Aaron sat across from her and picked up a menu.

Mercedes did, too, wondering how soon before they could leave.

Mike picked up the last menu and perused it. He wasn't all that hungry but he was still a bit hungover. He decided to get whatever had the most meat.

Mercedes looked at him out of the corner of her eye. It was like he had no cares. Was he jealous or not?!

The waiter came back. "Are you ready to order?"

"I'm ready. Baby?" Mike turned to Mercedes.

Mercedes picked the first thing that popped into her mind. A salad. She also ordered diet Sierra Mist because she needed something stronger than tea.

Mike ordered then Aaron did. The waiter took their menus and swore to return with their drinks.

"So?" Aaron cleared his throat. "How are you, Ms. Vic?"

"I'm good." Mercedes could read how uncomfortable he was in his face. "You?"

"I'm good. How- how are you, Mike?"

Mike cocked his head before answering. "I'm fine."

Mercedes prayed he wouldn't be in one of his moods. "So have you spoken to your grandmother lately, Aaron?"

"Oh. Yeah." Aaron clapped his eyes on hers. "I talked to her this week. She's good."

"That's good. I know you were telling me that she had a doctor's appointment Tuesday."

"Yeah, she thought she found a lump but it was just hard tissue. The doctor says she's fine."

"That's good. I'd be scared out of my mind if I found a lump."

"My mom was the one to talk her into going. She was too scared."

Mercedes was going to reply when she noticed Mike was staring at her. It wasn't hostile or even uncomfortable. It was just as if he were seeing her for the first time. It made her want to do better. "Aaron's grandmother lives with his parents. Just imagine if our grandparents lived with our parents."

Mike blinked slowly before nodding. "That would be very... thrilling to witness."

She grinned. "You're right. I don't think they could last a week."

"Today is pushing it."

Mercedes turned to Aaron. "My little brother graduated from high school today and our grandparents came to help him celebrate. They'll be going home tonight and tomorrow."

"Oh. What school did he graduate from?" Aaron asked.

"Ridgemoor."

"That's a good school."

"He was valedictorian." She wiggled in her chair.

"You would never know how much you threaten to kill him." Mike smirked.

"He gets on my last nerve but he's my baby."

"Uh huh."

"Just like you're Lady's baby."

He scoffed. "She doesn't like me."

"She loves you."

"I can't tell. She's always yelling at me and threatening to kill me."

"You torture her." She said slowly as if to make it sink in.

"I do not." He was offended.

"Dead frogs, Mikey."

He grinned.

She smirked. He was so cute when he pretended to be good.

"Dead frogs?" Aaron was confused.

A shadow crossed over Mike's face. Mercedes saw. "Yeah. He likes to give her frogs. She's scared of them."

"And this is your sister?"

"Liz." Mercedes confirmed.

"Oh!" Aaron nodded in understanding then shook his head at realizing that no, he did not understand. "Liz is both of your sister?"

"Yes. There's Liz, Marc, Mikey, me, Que, Evie, Mal and Maddie."

"And you're dating? Your brother?" He blinked.

"We're very incestuous." Mike said with a straight face.

Mercedes bumped his arm. "It's complicated."

"How did this even start?" Aaron was so lost.

"Um..." Mercedes didn't know how to explain it. "We uh- it started- I was- and he- but we- um..."

"It started with a tickle fight and sex." Mike watched her flounder.

Aaron's eyebrows rose and Mercedes gasped. "Sonny!"

"What? It did." He felt particularly like being mischievous. "We can do a second take right here."

Her eyes widened dramatically.

He reached out to touch her and she slapped his hand. He tried again. She slapped his hand. He went for a third time but she simply smacked his hand again.

The waiter came back with their food. "Here you go. If you need any refills, let me know."

Aaron watched him go before looking between Mercedes and Mike. "Do your parents know? About you two?"

"Yes." Mercedes nodded.

"And they approve?"

"Yes. They were very happy for us."

"But you were raised together?"

"It helps that Marcy and Mal were fated to be together." Mike blinked as he tried his entree.

"Who?"

"Evie."

Aaron nodded. "So she's dating a brother, too?"

"No but she should."

Mercedes could tell this conversation was too much for Aaron. "Like I said, it's complicated. It's hard to understand if you've known us forever. Our cousin had a hard time adjusting to us."

"It took two minutes." Mike felt like being contrary.

"A long two minutes."

"She hasn't said anything since."

"Others might have issues with it, too. They just haven't told us."

"We don't care what other people say. We're in it for the long haul. We're forever. That's love."

Mercedes stared at him. He was looking at Aaron. "Love is also kind."

"I think love is jealousy."

"Love is selfless."

"Love is petty."

"Love is forgiving."

"We're in love." Mike grabbed her hand.

Here we go!

M&MC

Mercedes stared at Aaron. How should she say goodbye? A hug? A handshake? A wave? "Tonight was... pleasant. I'll talk to you later." A surly Mike grunted. "Goodbye."

"Goodbye." Mike pulled her away.

"Goodbye!" Aaron called out.

Mike ushered her out and into the car before she could do anything. He started Rhonda and started for home. He flexed his hands on the steering wheel and glared at the landscape.

"That was so rude."

He grunted again.

"You're acting like a caveman."

He said nothing.

"Tonight was embarrassing."

"Oh! I'm sorry for embarrassing you in front of your boyfriend!"

She clenched a fist. "He is not my boyfriend!"

"Could have fooled me! You're talking to him about his grandmother?! Really?!"

"He was worried! Friends are there for each other!"

"Oh please! And I know he looked down your dress!"

"I don't like this jealousy, Mikey! It's like you're not you!"

"It's not me! It's you!"

She glared at him. "What is that supposed to mean?!"

"Why him?! What's so special about him?!"

"There's nothing special about him! I chose you!"

"Oh thank you for choosing me!"

"Mike!"

He stewed in silence.

She sighed. "Take me home."

"Where else would we be going?" He bit off.

"I meant my home!" She couldn't stand him.

He mocked her under his breath.

She sat back and folded her arms.

He drove to her street and parked in front of her house. Lights were on inside. He sighed and started to apologize but she got out of the car and slammed the door behind her.

He winced. He made sure she got in the house safely then drove around the corner to his house and parked. He went inside and saw most of the house was dark.

He checked on his parents and saw they were watching a movie with Michael Sr., Gertie, Po and Xhi-Xhi. He bid them a goodnight and went upstairs.

He stopped in Maddie's room and saw what she was up to. "What's going on?"

She looked up. "Just reading. How was dinner?"

"How'd you know I was at dinner?"

"Why else would you leave?"

He lifted a shoulder. "It was okay."

She blinked at him. "Okay, well shut the door behind you."

He knew she was telling him to get out so he closed her door and went to Mal's room. He barged in and saw his brother on his bed, talking on the phone. "Hey?"

"What's up?" Mal sat up.

"What are you doing?"

Mal looked at him as if wondering if he were joking. "I'm on the phone."

"With who?"

"None of your business."

"It's a girl."

"No, it's not." Mal blushed. "I'm not calling you a dirty, filthy boy! Hey! Don't yell at me! I'm offended by that!"

"Tell Marcy I said hey." Mike left. He went to his own room and laid on his bed. He stayed like that for exactly thirty seconds before getting his phone from his pocket and dialing a number. "Hello?"

"Hey." Puck's voice came through loud and clear. "What's up?"

"I think Mercy might be sick of me. I sort of embarrassed her tonight."

It was quiet for a while. "What?"

"We had dinner with that Aaron guy."

He could literally hear Puck sitting up. "No way! How'd it go?!"

"Bad." Mike stressed. "I wasn't exactly nice."

Puck snorted. "When are you ever not nice?"

"Tonight would be a good start..."

"What'd you do?"

"I was passive aggressive."

"What's passive mean?"

"It's what I usually am. I'm a pacifist for goodness sake!"

"And you were aggressive?"

"Passive aggressive. It's not a good look. I'm usually above that stuff but I kept thinking about her and him then somehow I ended up cursing Sam's name."

"Evans?" Puck chuckled. "What's he got to do with this?"

"She said he looked and acted like him. I can see it."

"So you think she's not over him?"

"I don't know what I think. I just know she's pissed at me and I might deserve it."

"Might?"

"Shut up."

M&MC

"Mercy, I'm on the phone! Can you complain about Mikey to yourself or wait until I'm off?!"

"You could listen to me! Instead you're picking a boy over me!" Mercedes scolded.

Marcy rolled her eyes. "Mal's not a boy."

Mercedes could hear Mal exclaiming.

"Shut up, Mal. Look, can I call you back? She won't leave me alone until I pay attention to her. She's like you."

Mercedes almost smiled at the words coming down the line.

"You get offended too easily. Take a breath. Rub one out. Calm down."

Mercedes' eyes widened.

"Ah, cute. Just leave me alone for five minutes. I'll call you back." She hung up and turned a dark look on Mercedes. "What the exact hell do you want?"

Mercedes came forward and moved a sleeping Smith out of the way to sit down. "Mikey was an absolute beast at dinner!"

"What were you expecting? The real Mikey?"

"Yes! Why not?"

"You cheated on that Mikey."

"Is he ever going to get over that?" Mercedes laid her head on Marcy's shoulder.

"Give him a minute!" Marcy snapped. "This is still really new and recent. He needs to dig through all of his emotions and exercise all his demons regarding this. It's going to take time. But he does forgive you and he's rebuilding his trust in you. Go at his pace."

Mercedes blew out a breath. "I did do this, didn't I?"

"We all messed up."

"Why? Why did this happen?"

"Someone out there could be getting their jollies from this whole ordeal. Although you seem to be getting it worse than us."

"I do, don't I?!"

"It'll be okay. You won't even care about this when you're fifty."

"Thanks, Marce." Mercedes kissed her cheek. "How'd you get so smart?"

"From being stupid. Now get out so I can give him attention before he has a heart-attack."

"He does seem to thrive on your attention." Mercedes got up.

"I don't get him. Like him but I don't get him."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.1K 652 200
Continuing on from my first two glee oneshot books because they're full. Each chapter will be a different oneshot. The previous and next chapters are...
7.4K 592 200
Continuing on from my first three glee oneshot books because they're full. Each chapter will be a different oneshot. The previous and next chapters a...
151K 3.6K 76
1K 93 41
Puck finding his way and enjoying his life in L.A. after graduating from McKinley - along with unexpected roommates, romances, and revelations. Finn...