What If

By shaylamariam

Book 1 | Completed | "Lydia, what if there's a reason I was on the bridge that night?" Two strangers. One cro... More

Introduction (Read Me!)
1. Crazy Amy
2. Fishing With No Pole
3. A Flip of the Eggs
4. 24K
5. Red 23
6. Weekend at Bernie's
7. Miso Soup
8. Three Hours
9. Calling All Psychos
10. I Smell Bullsh*t
11. The Cat's Meow
12. Inhibitions
13. Operation: Fake Date
14. Memory Lane
15. Bottoms Up
16. Payback
17. Butterflies
18. Slimy...Yet Satisfying
19. Marshmallows and Chocolate
20. Like Ice
21. Fight or Flight
22. Houdini
24. Confessions Part 1
25. Confessions Part 2
26. Sunshine and Disappointment
27. July 22nd
28. The Other Shoe
29. Tahlia
30. Daddy Dearest
31. Five Large
32. Breadcrumbs
33. Five Minutes
34. The Call
35. Promises
36. Two Shots
37. V-TACH
38. The Letter
39. Fate
Epilogue
What Now (Book 2)
What's Next (Book 3)
The Stella I Remember

23. Karma

4.8K 195 56
By shaylamariam

Crowne Plaza Hotel Downtown
4:23pm Seattle, WA

"Take your head out of your ass and get me some answers!"

I stopped trying to pretend like this wasn't the funniest thing I've seen today. I was sitting on my bed in my current hotel room while I watched Lydia pace back and forth. She's been on the phone with multiple sources trying to find her mother. After she was released from the hospital, her brother gave us the last known address he had for her. Which, unfortunately, was Schick Shadel Hospital. Lydia was able to find out her mother was here on a court order five years ago. She was supposed to attend a ninety-day treatment plan and left after five days.

Since her mother disregarded the court order, there was a warrant out for her arrest. Like many others who were wanted by the police, they tried to stay under the radar. Since her last check-in at the rehab hospital, there is no known address or phone number.

Which brings us to this precise moment. I've been sitting here patiently, watching this beautiful woman argue with countless operators, police officers, and doctors. No sightings or anything. I had to admit, I was proud of Lydia. After all, we were back in her hometown. Not only that, but we were ten minutes from her childhood home. Her childhood home where she was beaten, starved, and...taken advantage of.

I will never forget that day when I heard her arguing with her brother. I had just found her and was walking up behind her to take her back to the hospital. Well, first I wanted to throat punch her brother for talking to her like he was. Then I was going to drag her back to the hospital. Kicking and screaming if necessary. I was just about to reach her when I heard it: "That sick bastard deserves to rot in hell! He almost killed our mother that night. Or what about the multiple times he snuck into my bedroom and assaulted me!"

Her words were like a knife to the gut. I froze where I stood. I couldn't move, I couldn't breathe...nothing. The anguish that was in her voice paralyzed me. That was until she came barreling into me.

After we left the hospital, she seemed in better spirits. I don't know if it was because of the new level ground she formed with her brother or the sudden urge to find her mom. I've honestly been a little worried about her obsession. But, I promised I would help her and that's what I'm doing. Well, that's what I was trying to do, anyway. Apparently, there was a limit.

"Babe, please let me call Anne. She can get--"

"No," Lydia interrupted me, yet again. "I want to do this my way. I know I asked for your help but with all the legal stuff going on in-- Yes? Hello? No, I'm here."

I groaned and fell back on the bed as the operator returned to the line and Lydia started her normal rant. One thing I really enjoyed these past two days was that Lydia and I have gotten closer. Closer as in, she's been opening up to me more. She's more honest about her feelings. We also decided to make this "official". After my little tirade in the hospital, it seemed to come down to are we or aren't we? But, the one thing I won't do is rush her into anything she doesn't want to do. Which is why, here in Seattle, we have two separate rooms. As usual. There is an adjoining door though, which I enjoyed when I snuck up on her.

"Assholes!" She yelled and I heard her throw the phone on the floor.

I let out a long breath as I sat up on the bed and met her stare. "What's the matter, beautiful?" She didn't seem to mind that pet name; and for some reason, I couldn't stop saying it.

"Nothing. We've been here for over a day and we don't have any leads."

I gave her that same knowing look and she crossed her arms over her chest. "No, Sean," she said because she knew what I was thinking. "Give me one more day of trying it my way. Then, if it doesn't work, we can call in the big guns."

"And why do we have to wait a day?" This woman was so damn stubborn sometimes. Which I found a little sexy. But I wasn't going to tell her that.

"Because," she said with an arched brow, "I know that you are either going to probably have to pay someone a lot of money or something to get information."

I scoffed and let out a little laugh. "I'm not in the mob, Lydia."

She threw up her arms in frustration. "You what I mean!"

Damn, she was so cute. "Hey," I called, and she finally met my gaze. "Come here."

She walked towards me and I stood up, pulling her close. I lifted her chin and pressed my lips against hers. When I deepened the kiss, she relaxed against me and let out a little sigh. "That's better," I said, pulling back to look at her. "How about you and I go to dinner tonight?"

"Sean, we need to find-"

"Your mother. I know and we will. You're still waiting to hear back from the other messages you left, right?"

"Yes," she mumbled.

"And you asked me to give you the day, right?"

She nodded.

"So, instead of sitting here stewing, let me take you to dinner tonight."

She looked up at me and couldn't hold back her smile. "Yes, dinner sounds nice," she replied as she wrapped her arms around my neck.

"Good. Then I will pick you up at 6:30, milady," I whispered against her lips as I gave her one last kiss.

Canlis Restaurant
7:03pm Seattle, WA

I sat across from Lydia at Canlis and couldn't hold back my laugh as she told me a joke. We got to our table about five minutes ago. She seemed in a better mood since we left the apartment. She was smiling and laughing. She also looked irresistible in the long dark red satin dress she had on.

"Hi, I'm Ally. What can I get started for you tonight?"

When I looked at the server, she was facing me and had her back to Lydia. There was also no mistaking the batting if her eyelashes at me. Tonight is going to go well, I thought. "Hi, can I get a Scotch, please?"

"Absolutely, and for your friend?"

She still kept her eyes on me and it was starting to piss me off. I glanced to Lydia who was clearly uncomfortable with the situation.

"She's my girlfriend. Babe? Do you want some wine?" I made sure to put emphasis on the word 'babe'.

The waitress finally met Lydia's gaze and the girl sucked in a breath. "Lydia? Lydia Preston?"

I noticed the color drain from Lydia's and got a sick feeling.

"Ally Samuels. You...work here?" Lydia said through her teeth with an obvious fake smile.

"Yeah! For two years now." Ally the waitress looked from Lydia to me. "So, you two are together?"

"Yes," I answered automatically. "How do you know Lydia?"

Lydia shot me a look, letting me know I shouldn't have asked that.

"Oh, we went to high school together. She was such a loner. She would always be throwing up-"

"Actually Ally, do you mind going to get our drinks?" I interjected.

She gave me an unwanted sultry smile as she answered, "I'm on it."

After she left, I reached across the table and took Lydia's hand. "Baby, I'm so sorry. Do you want to leave?"

Lydia held my gaze as she pondered my question. "No. If I could survive high school with Ally Samuels, I can get through dinner."

"That's my girl." I leaned across the table and gave her a kiss.

The rest of our meal went by pretty decently. We didn't have much interaction with Ally thankfully and Lydia seemed to be enjoying herself.

"Have I told you how beautiful you look tonight?"

Her cheeks heated as she took a sip of her wine. "Yes, but I like hearing it."

When I went to reach for her hand this time, Ally came and dropped our dessert in the middle of the table. Clearly, it was an attempt at stopping the connection.

"Oops! Sorry about that," she said as she smirked at me and started cleaning the table. "Would you like me to bring you another?"

I glanced from Lydia to the waitress, who was still staring at me. "No, thank you. Just the check, please."

Lydia leaned back in her chair. "Wow, she really has a thing for you."

I gave her a side smile. "Maybe. Too bad I really have a thing for a stubborn brunette who feeds me cheesecake and loves old Jim Carrey movies."

She smiled at me, taking her bottom lip in her mouth. "Oh, yeah?"

My side smile turned into full on. "Most definitely."

"Here's your bill. It's been my pleasure serving you." She gave Lydia a snotty look. "Lydia," she said shortly before walking off.

I looked at the bill and I got an idea. "Lydia? How about you meet me outside? I'm going to settle the bill."

She had an odd look on her face but agreed and made her way to the exit. I looked at the bill again, getting even more pissed when I saw Ally had put her phone number on it.

Letting out a deep breath, I thought about what Ally had said earlier. She tried to humiliate Lydia in this restaurant. In front of me. Deciding she needed to learn her lesson, I left the check and walked away from the table. Karma's a bitch, I thought.

Lydia was waiting outside, and she seemed to relax a little when I took her hand and started walking to the car.

"Did everything go okay?" She asked and I knew she was worried. I couldn't blame her after her history.

I brought her hand to my lips and kissed it. "It went perfectly. I didn't even see her after you left."

"I'm sorry about her, Sean. She ruined our night."

"Hey," I said as we stopped next to the car. "She didn't ruin anything. Besides, our night isn't over, yet. I've got a surprise for you." I gave her a hot onceover as I walked to the driver's side.

"What's the surprise?" She asked excitedly over the top of the car.

"I'm not telling you, beautiful. But...you're going to get wet."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Kidnapped Love By CLB321

General Fiction

180K 4K 30
Akila moves her life across the country in hopes of rebuilding a fractured relationship with her mother. But as the days unfold like delicate petals...
17.4K 1.2K 14
[NOW TRADITIONALLY PUBLISHED WORLDWIDE] "A life of happiness would be hell on earth." β€’ When Grace finally decided to end her life, the last thing sh...
The Pursuit By Allison

General Fiction

950K 25.9K 33
Bethany Bridges leaves the town she grew up in Washington to pursue her dreams of becoming an architect in the big city of Seattle. An internship pos...
135K 10.6K 64
✬ 𝕋𝕙𝕖 π”»π•’π•£π•œ οΌ† π•ƒπ•šπ•˜π•™π•₯ π•Šπ•–π•£π•šπ•–π•€ ✬ There is a crucial moment in one's life that determines the outcome of everything; well, as books and m...