Medice Ceres

By wdhenning

In the Realm, a Taint cast years ago by a corrupt Shaman advances slowly but inexorably across the Lands, thr... More

Authors Note
Map of the Realm
The Spirits
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60 - Part 1
Chapter 60 - Part 2
Chapter 61
Epilogue

Chapter 57

124 28 66
By wdhenning

Kori tapped on the cell door bars, accompanied a seamstress with red gown draped over one arm and a suit over the other. Two servants panted as they hefted a wooden stave tub down the hallway. She motioned to one of the guards to unlock the door.

Ceres stood and lifted an eyebrow. "What is this, Kori?"

"My Lady, we are to prepare you for dinner with Lord Scias."

Gazing at the slinky gown, Ceres curled her lip. "I have no want for such fancy dress. I shall not be put on display for him."

Kori dipped her head down and her chin trembled. "I am sorry, my Lady, but Lord Scias insists. He gives you the choice of this dress or naked in chains."

Ceres gulped as she turned toward Waithe, who nodded slowly. "Not much of a choice, have I."

After enjoying the warm scented bath, Ceres pulled on the dress as the seamstress made final adjustments while Kori brushed and styled her hair. In the meantime, Waithe took his turn for a bath and then put on the black suit brought for him. He rubbed his fingers across the fine silk of the shirt and jacket.

Ceres dipped her head and blushed as she stepped out from behind the screen. The silky red dress clung tightly to her curves, flowing down to her ankles. It featured a plunging neckline between her breasts and a high slit up to her thigh. It was not unlike the one Madam Devere had her wear while escaping from the Overlord's prison disguised as a prostitute.

Waithe lifted her chin. "My dear daughter, I know this be uncomfortable. But I tell you truly, this dress does not define you." He turned his head toward Kori. "Would you give us a moment?"

Kori nodded and led the staff of servants out of the door.

As Ceres lifted her eyes to meet his, he whispered, "The dress risks something more important than modesty, it would also reveal that you are no longer Tau. They must not know. Be there a way to cover where the mark would be?"

She tilted her head down to gaze at the clear skin near her right collarbone, where the Tau once resided, and where the dress now left bare. Her eyes shot back up. "It cannot be covered, but we may recreate the mark." She retrieved eye-liner from the kit left by the servants and handed it to Waithe. "Draw it on me."

After a few moments, Ceres examined the mark. A small smile came to her face. "Thank you, father." She stepped back and gazed at him in his suit. "If I may say, you do look quite dashing."

He pivoted back and forth. "Once this all be done, I may acquire such an outfit for my own."

*****

Ceres took hold of Waithe's arm as Kori led them through the palace and up a flight of stone stairs. Two guards followed behind. Their steps echoed off the polished marble floor and the stone block walls. Kori looked back as she came to a massive oak door covered with ornate carvings. After a nod from Waithe, she motioned to the two guards that flanked it.

Stepping first inside, Kori announced, "My Lord, the Lady Ceres and Waithe Rand."

Ceres pulled her lips tight. In another place and time, the lavish dining hall would be truly impressive, but here, like the mansion itself, it seemed an obscene excess. Carved stone arches supported a glimmering golden ceiling, warmly illuminated by three hanging crystal candelabras. A long wooden table dominated the room, the top polished so shiny that it looked wet. A large flower arrangement dazzled with bright colors from the middle of the table. It was large enough to seat dozens, but only three places on one end were set with fine crystal and silver. Two guards stood at attention on both sides of the table.

Lord Scias wore a similar attire as Waithe, but with the addition of an ascot secured by a gold pin. Ceres' grip on Waithe's arm tightened as Scias' eyes scanned her slowly up and down with an unsavory grin on his face.

He approached and took up her hand to place a kiss on it. "Lady Ceres, you are stunningly beautiful, truly a feast for my eyes." He pulled aside the right strap of her red gown to fully reveal the mark. "So this is the sign of Tau, just like Quar described."

Ceres pulled back and frowned. "Would that be why you spent so much money and time to capture me?"

"My dear Lady, you misunderstand. I only mean you well. As the last Tau, you must be protected. Here you would share in a glorious future. It is your destiny."

"Thank you, my Lord, but I shall choose my own destiny."

"Hear me out, my Lady, and I think you will agree." The chime of a small bell interrupted him. "Ah, dinner is ready. Let us take our seats."

Scias pulled out a chair for Ceres. He then took a seat at the head of the table. Waithe took a seat across from Ceres. A formally clad servant entered and poured wine into their crystal stems.

Scias lifted his glass. "Let us drink a toast to our partnership and a prosperous future for the Realm."

Ceres replied, "I would drink only to a prosperous future for the Realm."

Scias grinned. "Very well. That is a start." They tipped back their glasses. The servant refilled them as soon as they touched back down on the table.

Bowls of a creamy seafood chowder appeared before them, along with trays of warm fresh bread.

Scias turned toward Waithe. "My liaison from the Lake Lands remembered you from long ago. It seems one of their young Shaman ran off with you. Quite the scandal at the time. What was her name?"

"Her name was Fera. I married her and we had a daughter." Waithe tipped his head across the table at Ceres.

"Then how be it that Ceres came to grow up all alone?"

"Fera was murdered while I was off to war. I thought my daughter lost as well."

Scias shook his head. "Incredible. And after all these years you find her now?"

Ceres replied as she swirled a spoon in her soup. "Not so incredible. The Spirits brought us together again."

"Fascinating. The Spirits always seemed so erratic, so unreliable."

"Not so for me." She raised a hand, palm up. A green light appeared above her, circling around and then settling just above her hand, pulsing gently. The guards behind Ceres and Waithe stepped forward but stopped as Scias waved them off. Ceres bowed her head. "My Lord, may I introduce to you to the Life Spirit Phy."

She pointed towards the flower arrangement that decorated the table top. "It seems one of the rose stems has begun to wither..." With a twist of her hand a white shimmer of Magic descended on the drooped rose. The red flower slowly lifted its head back up and the frayed petals tightened into a glistening bud. Two more stems emerged beside it, rising from the vase and extending dark green leaves. Singular red buds topped the new stems, each a rival to the beauty of the bud that preceded them.

A smile grew wide on Scias' face. "My Lady, we were right to request you from the Order."

Phy disappeared as Ceres narrowed her eyes. "I think not. Sold like a slave I was."

The servants interrupted the conversation when they carried in three golden roasted pheasants surrounded by potatoes and vegetables, all arranged artfully on silver platters. A delectable aroma filled the room. Portions were carved and scooped onto three silver plates, then placed before the diners.

Scias lifted his chin. "My Lady, I would bring a new era of peace and order to the Realm. You may share in that. As Overlord, I would end the petty squabbling among the Lords and lift the people to prosperity."

Ceres frowned. "Your methods suggest you would bring only suffering and repression."

"Sacrifices be necessary to achieve greatness."

"It seems your people do all the sacrificing while you live in such excessive luxury."

"My dear, like all women, you know little of how to rule. The people need a strong leader to esteem, an example of greatness."

Waithe jumped into the discussion as he noticed Ceres beginning to fume. "You build a huge army. For what purpose, my Lord?"

"Sir, you of all men should know that respect be earned through strength. There are those who would oppose by force my destiny."

"And what part would I play in your quest for greatness?" Her voice was steady, but her fists were clenched at her sides.

Scias stabbed a piece of meat with his fork, but then put it down. "You may continue to heal, of course, but under my direction. Your powers wielded alongside those of Raste would make us invincible. I would grant you rule over the Order of Medice and you may expand its influence across the Realm." A crooked smile came to his face. "And with Raste's seed, you would become the mother of a new generation of powerful Shaman."

Ceres swallowed hard and pushed her plate away. "I seem to have lost my appetite."

"I know this is difficult to process now, my dear Ceres. But think of your grand legacy!"

"A legacy I already have."

He glared at Ceres. "Your actions have undermined my authority in my own lands. I cannot have that."

"I healed the ailing and purged the Darkness. How would that undercut you? It would only do so if the people suffered under your rule. Is there any wonder that they are so disgruntled? You would gain so much more with compassion."

He narrowed his eyes. "Compassion leads to mediocrity. Only a firm hand achieves greatness."

Ceres tightened her lips and creased her brow, but said nothing. Waithe almost blew out an audible breath at her restraint. In this situation, it was not wise to provoke the Lord too far.

The servants eased the tension as they returned with dessert, a fluffy white cake topped with fresh raspberries. Generous slices were cut for each at the table and then doused with fresh cream from a white ceramic pitcher. After refreshing the wine glasses, the servants retreated.

Scias savored a bite of the rich dessert, then put his spoon down. "I have wondered, my Lady, why after evading my soldiers for so long that you show up at my gate? Did you finely see the inevitable?"

Ceres did not touch her dessert. "Nothing is inevitable, my Lord. I came here to warn you."

Scias smirked. "Oh? Do you mean from Lord Gerald, who assembles his army near the border of the Lake Lands? They provoke me. I shall deal decisively with him soon enough. In a way, your interference leads to that."

Ceres eyes shot wide open, but she recomposed herself quickly. "Nay. I speak not of war, but the intentions of your chief Shaman Raste. You know he summons the Darkness?"

"Aye. It is very powerful, and it serves our cause. But that is one reason we sought you, Ceres. As Tau, you give limits to the Darkness, so that Raste may wield it safely."

Ceres shook her head. "Deception and deceit are the ways of Darkness. No desire has Raste to be in your service. Do you remember the stories of the dark Shaman of the North Lands and how he dabbled with the dark arts, killed his Lord, and brought forth the Taint?"

Scias nodded.

She continued. "Sorne was his name. I found his journal at Mt. Grimmur. He intended to bring about the End Times. Did you know he was also Tau? He had the others of Tau murdered, including my mother, but he did not know of me. That is important, the last Tau corrupted by the Darkness would trigger the End Times. My Lord, Raste intends to achieve what Sorne failed by corrupting me. In the End Times, there would be no glory for you nor future for humanity."

Scias' eyes widened as he sat in thought. After a moment he shook his head. "Nay. What would he gain from the End Times?"

"Power. He believes he could control the Darkness, but it would enslave us all."

Scias froze, but then he shook his head with a grin. "Well played, my Lady Ceres. I almost believed your ruse."

Ceres pushed her chair back from the table. "My lord, you are blinded to the truth by your own ego. But regardless, I shall not support your quest for domination."

Scias jumped up. Bending at the waist, he placed his hands on the table edge and glared at her. "Oh, you shall fulfill your destiny, my Lady, whether you desire it or not!" He turned his head. "Guards! Take them back to their cell. Dinner is over!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

488 96 30
(Complete) A princess. An arranged marriage. A missing best friend. And a life changing adventure. Princess Calla is willing to do anything to find...
5.7K 1.1K 61
What happens when you're destined to save the world from utter destruction, but the people trying to manipulate you into fulfilling your destiny are...
1.5K 51 11
This world has always been destined to end, people always try desperately hard to live, Wattpad from the olden days created a world where people coul...
104 11 12
Cyra lives in the City of New York. She is hired by a few and is on the run from all. One night Crya meets Esteria, and everything falls. Esteria bri...