The Fix (SPS Book 1)

By M_Sway_Writes

"Katelyn, you are either going to get out of this car and walk in there like a normal person or I could carry... More

Authors Note
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44

15

261 14 2
By M_Sway_Writes

I stared at my reflection in the mirror, my brown hair cascading down my shoulders in loose waves. The white dress that's been in my suitcase for more than a week now clung around my waist and flared out at the skirt coming to rest above my knees. The bandage was still wound around my hand but not as bulky as the doctor made it. But this person in the mirror felt like a stranger now, I could recall her from memory but she wasn't who I am now, I had changed. In the span of a week given all I had learn, I had changed. My eyes flicked over to the box of letters on the nightstand and my heart race picked up. Two letters in and I could already feel my whole perception shifting and I dreaded reading the rest of them.

There was a part of me that wanted to just rip them open, discover their secrets, but a bigger part of me wanted to take it slow because to me those letters felt like my mom was here, talking to me. I wasn't ready for that to end yet. The letters somehow kept her alive, a tangible part in a world she was no longer a part of.

I took one final glance at my appearance and walked to the main house. Monica was busy clearing the table when I walked in.

"Good morning! You look gorgeous honey!"

I smiled, not quite letting it reach my eyes, "Thank you, Monica. Have you found out anything about Macy?"

Monica sighed, "Not yet honey, it's strange how everyone in this town are loose lipped when they're gossiping but when you try to get information they shut tighter than a clam. But I'll still be looking, okay?"

"Thank you." I said a little deflated.

Macy knew better than anyone what happened and why my mom could never come back, she was also family and some of the only I had left. I heard a car pull into the driveway and a minute later Shay thundered through the house and dive bombed Monica's legs.

Olivia walked in shaking her head at Shay, "What did I say about running Shay?" the little girl smiled up at her mother and Olivia rolled her eyes then turned to me, "You ready to go?"

"Yeah, I'm just going to drive my own car, you okay with that?"

Olivia nodded her head, "Sure!"

We walked out of the house leaving Shay behind with Monica, when we got outside Jackson waved from the front seat of his truck and I hopped into the tiny rental car. I followed Jackson and Olivia a lot easier than I did Liam and I was thankful for that.

We drove further away from town down a small winding snake road up the rocky mountain roads. Set against the cliffs was a large white mansion with a hedges near the entry way, I gawked at the massive building just as Jackson pulled in. I followed and parked my car next to theirs with my heart racing inside my chest. This was the first time I would see Lucas after he was avoiding me for almost three days. I took a few calming breaths to settle my nerves and then got out of the car.

Jackson looked towards the house and then shook his head, "They're probably in the backyard and I'd much rather use the side entrance than try and find my way through that maze."

Olivia laughed, "Scenic route it is!"

Olivia and I followed close behind Jackson down a cobblestone pathway next to the house reaching a wood fenced gate. Jackson pushed the gate open and we all followed through to decked out backyard. A large oak tree stood proudly in the center with a group of guys setting up the grill in the shade. To the left there was a patio that led into the big home with sliding glass doors around it. The lawn was green and freshly cut, the smell of cut grass still lingering in the air mixing with the smell of a hot grill.

It didn't take long for my eyes to spot Lucas, or his to spot me. My breath hitched as I followed Olivia to where everyone was standing under the oak tree. Just as we reached them Lucas turned and walked to the patio grabbing a beer.

Olivia tugged at my arm, "Katelyn you already know Layton and Liam but this is Nathan and Ryan." she pointed out the two guys standing closer off to the back with a gleam in her eyes.

I couldn't help but internally rolling my eyes, Olivia was like Diane always trying to match me up with someone. Little did Olivia know I couldn't care less whether these two guys were just as attractive as the rest of their little group because my stupid heart would only beat louder for one guy.

I tried making small talk but my nerves were shot and my heart wasn't really in it and I wrung my hands together when Lucas came back. He didn't give me so much as a hello and I tried to convince myself that the hurt I was feeling was completely irrational.

"Let me introduce you to Chloe," Olivia said pulling me towards the patio.

The blonde woman lying on one of that patio chairs looked up just as Olivia and I walked over to her.

"Hey Ollie and friend. Too much testosterone for you down there?"

"Way too much!" Olivia laughed, "what's up between Liam and Lucas though?"

Chloe sighed, "You know how Liam gets on everyone's nerves. That guy could make saint contemplate murder."

Olivia and I both laughed when suddenly Olivia gasped, "Oh shoot, where are my manners? Chloe this is Katelyn, Katelyn meet Chloe."

Chloe tipped her head, "So how did you get pulled into all this crazy."

Olivia and I took the seats next to Chloe and I shrugged my shoulders, "Lucas is fixing my house, turns out my mom knew his mom when they were kids."

Chloe nodded her head once, "I take it that's the watered down version?"

"That's the family friendly version!" I joked.

Chloe's lips broke out into a huge grin, "Where's the fun in that?"

We spent the next twenty minutes discussing everything from politics to guys to shoes. I realized that Chloe had been friends with the guys for the last four years and before that she couldn't stand the. There was pain in her eyes that she tried to hide but I could see it. Once you went through something that breaks you, you're able to spot it easily in others. There was dark circles under eyes that her makeup couldn't cover and I saw straight through her tough facade.

Chloe clasped her hands together, "Okay, you girls are going to help me make the sides. These assholes eat way too much for just burgers!"

I laughed as Chloe hopped up from her seat and strutted into the house. Olivia and I followed behind her and when we reached the kitchen I gasped at the sheer size. This looked like a kitchen for an upscale restaurant not something for someone's home! Black marble floors and counter tops, with the cupboards a pristine white, there was an island in the middle of the kitchen that looked big enough to host an entire banquet.

Chloe pulled the fridge door open and pulled out potatoes, onions, eggs and two tubs of mayonnaise. Olivia and I shared a bewildered look but joined Chloe at the island counter. She moved the potatoes to Olivia and gave me the eggs.

"Okay, if we're starting a food fight right now, let me just say being thrown with potatoes really hurt!" Olivia said.

I laughed and Chloe shook her head then she handed Olivia a peeler, "I want you peel them and then boil them. Potato salad is pretty much the only thing I know how to make! Unless one of you has a better idea?"

Both Olivia and I shook our heads and Chloe smiled, "Good, Katelyn your on egg duty."

"Yes mam!"

Olivia giggled and Chloe raised and eyebrow before holding up the onions, "I'll do these little shits!"

We got to work but continued to chat and I actually started to enjoy myself. I let all my thoughts of Lucas, the house and my mom slip away. Before long I was done and set the now boiled, peeled and cut eggs next to Chloe.

"Great! Okay now, I need a bowl for the patties. I can guarantee you not one of those guys thought about that!"

I turned and rummaged through the cupboards until I found a decent sized bowl and held it up for Chloe to see.

"Perfect, will you take that to the guys Katelyn?"

My heart rate doubled and I cursed under my breath but Chloe and Olivia were too busy to notice. So I took the bowl outside with shaky hands and tried to convince myself that this would be just a quick drop off then I can go back inside. So with a brave face I walked outside and climbed down the patio steps onto the soft grass with wobbling legs.

"Come on! Just haggling him a bit, Katelyn's got him in all kinds of knots!" I heard Liam say.

Lucas had his back turned to me and my footsteps faltered as I heard Liam say my name. Liam's eyes met mine and I saw his grin falter and then fall completely.

"You know Liam," Lucas said taking one giant step towards Liam, "I don't like her. I can hardly stand her, she's been a massive fucking pain in my ass for a whole week and I can hardly concentrate on my work because I'm constantly stuck babysitting her. So the only thing going on is me trying not to be a total dick!"

I felt my whole body go numb as a hot embarrassed heat broke out over my face. The guys took notice of me and I don't know who was more shocked, me or them. Then Lucas turned around, his eyes going wide with horror. I tightened my hold on the glass bowl that I now wanted to smash over his head. I tried to tell myself to breathe but the anger in me felt like it was choking me.

"Too late, I already know your a dick but acting like one won't make it grow any bigger and if you ever pulled your head out of your fucking ass you'd be able to concentrate on you work!" I took a few steps forward and tried to shove the bowl into his chest, "Here, Chloe sends this."

I turned and had to fight myself not to make a run for the house and took the patio steps two at a time all the while trying to convince myself not to break out in angry tears. When I came into the kitchen Chloe was the first to look up and she took one look at my face and frowned.

"Hey are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I waved her off and then plastered a smile on my face, "It was great meeting you Chloe but I have to go now."

No matter how hard I tried I couldn't keep the anger from contorting my features and Chloe frowned, "What the hell did those assholes do now?"

I shook my head as tears began to sting my eyes, "I'm sorry, I have to go."

I rushed pass them and didn't stop even when Chloe and Olivia tried calling me back. When I came to a long hallway, I huffed a frustrated breath at the thought of getting lost in this damn maze. Eventually, I found the front door and by some stroke of luck it wasn't locked. I didn't waste anytime and ran to my car before spinning out of the driveway.

Driving through town I got stopped by a red light and then slammed my fist against the steering wheel. I finally pulled into the driveway of Monica's house and cursed when I realized Lucas could be on his way here. This was the main reason why I didn't want to stay here, the thought of calling a hotel for the night seemed appealing but I got a feeling in my gut I wouldn't be able to get out of the house before Lucas came back. At least in the cottage, I could lock the doors.

I snuck through the side gates to avoid Monica and all the questions I knew she would have for me, I had no desire in me to be around anyone now. Once in the cottage I locked the door and sunk down on the couch and tried to take deep calming breaths.

I was pissed, at Lucas for discussing me with people I didn't know, for saying all that about me but mostly, I was pissed at myself for ever even harboring any sort of affection for him. The mortification coursing through me had my whole face feeling like it was on fire. But underneath the rage and the embarrassment, I also felt rejected. My pride had taken a big knock and an even bigger one because I had ran away like a coward with her tail tucked between her legs.

There was a knock at my door and I just grabbed the pillow, hugging it close to my body trying to shut out the sound.

"Katelyn, please open the door, I know your in there." Lucas said on the other side of the door.

"Go away!"

"I'm sorry okay, just open up please."

"Oh, open the door so I can further annoy the living shit out of you," I said reiterating the same words Lucas had used earlier.

"Katelyn, I'm so--"

"Yeah well you can shove that apology up your ass!" I said and jumped off the couch, running for the bedroom.

I slammed the door shut and ignored any further pleas form Lucas. flopping on the bed, I flipped on my side and used the pillow to cover my ears. It wasn't until his begging stopped at the door that I realized tears were streaming down my face. Why the hell was I even disappointed?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 111 40
"What?" He asked, pulling me from my daydream again. I chuckled, biting my lip again. "Are you thinking about me naked?" He asked jokingly. I blushed...
101K 4.1K 55
IMPORTANT: The story contains lots of swooning moments, funny insults, chaotic and HOT situations, staring contests with a couple of intense blue eye...
117K 6.1K 99
Hannah And her Happy Harem After spending her entire life training to become an Olympic level gymnast only to suffer one too many injuries for her bo...
17.7K 1K 49
Book #4 in the Bonds of Fate series. "You left me. For 2 years." Killian's voice shook with the force of his emotion. "You chose to leave me." "Leavi...