Percy Jackson One Shots and S...

By unsureavenger

Short stories, in no particular order, of the beloved characters from the universe of Percy Jackson and the H... More

Percy Jackson: One-Shots & Short Stories
#1 - A Study Session Gone Awry
#2 - Your Secret Admirer
#3 - Beach Surprise
#4 - The Blackout (Part I)
#5 - The Blackout (Part II)
#6 - The Dreaded Day
#7 - Let's Go Camping! (Part I)
#8 - Let's Go Camping! (Part II)
#9 - Game Night
#10 - Flash From the Past
#11 - Montauk
#12 - The Accident
#13 - The Proposal
#14 - A Fateful Football Game
#15 - Lost Campers
#16 - The Blofis Wedding
#17 - Stalemate
#18 - Gold and White
#19 - Housewarming
#20 - Mistletoe (Part I)
#21 - Mistletoe (Part II)
#22 - New Year's Eve
#23 - Cheeseburgers and Fries
#24 - By the Beach
#25 - End of the Line (AU)
#26 - The Mission
#27 - Out of Touch
#28 - Nico the Babysitter
#29 - Night Out
#30 - A "Safe", "Calm" College Frat Party
#31 - Something Special (AU)
#32 - The College of New Rome
#33 - The Makeover
#34 - The Hot Lifeguard
#35 - Thanksgiving
#36 - Talent Searcher
#37 - A Goode Surprise
#38 - Acceptance Letters
#39 - Break My Heart Again (AU)
#40 - Ask Me, I Dare You
#41 - She's With Me
#42 - Don't Call Me Angel
#43 - The City of London
#44 - Just Be Here (AU)
#45 - Rule Number Four (AU) (Part I)
#46 - Rule Number Four (AU) (Part II)
#48 - Just Stay
#49 - The Library Book (AU)
#50 - Fake It Till You Make It (AU) (Part I)
#51 - Fake It Till You Make It (AU) (Part II)
#52 - Fake It Till You Make It (AU) (Part III)
#53 - Stuck With U (Part I)
#54 - Stuck With U (Part II)
#55 - Territory (Part I)
#56 - Territory (Part II)
#57 - Territory (Part III)
#58 - Territory (Part IV)
#59 - Territory (Part V)
#60 - The Avengers (AU) (Part I)
#61 - The Avengers (AU) (Part II)
#62 - The Avengers (AU) (Part III)
#63 - The Avengers (AU) (Part IV)
#64 - The Avengers (AU) (Part V)
#65 - The Avengers (AU) (Part VI)
#66 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part I)
#67 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part II)
#68 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part III)
#69 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part IV)
#70 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part V)
#71 - Parrot It Back
#72 - On What Grounds? Coffee. (AU)
#73 - What Happened After Happily Ever After (AU)
#74 - The Lonely Hearts Club (AU)
#75 - Oh, How The Turn Tables (AU)
#76 - Etched on Skin (AU) (Part I)
#77 - Etched On Skin (AU) (Part II)
#78 - Etched On Skin (AU) (Part III)
#79 - Etched on Skin (AU) ( Part IV)
#80 - Etched on Skin (AU) (Bonus)

#47 - Annabeth's Work Trip

3.4K 73 52
By unsureavenger

Chapter 47 - Annabeth's Work Trip
published: Wednesday, 25 December 2019

Time Frame: the Christmas season, when Athena and Charlie are around two years old

Synopsis: When her conference ends early, Annabeth makes a daring trip across the globe to make it back to Percy, Athena and Charlie before Christmas Day is over. Along the way, she reminisces about other happy moments she shared with them.

Contains: a cameo from our favourite satyr (GROVER) and Dan in #43; wholesome family themes; Annabeth-centric plot; and Christmas fluff for the holiday season!

—*—

"I can't believe you're going to be away on Christmas," came the whine through the phone. "It's not the same without you."

Annabeth winced. "I know, I'm gonna miss everyone so much."

Grover's annoyed bleats rang once more. "You're back for New Year's Eve, right?"

Annabeth clicked her tongue. "I think so."

"Okay, good, because if you're not at camp for the fireworks, I will gallop all the way to drag you back to Long Island."

A groan escaped Annabeth's lips.

"What?" Grover's questioned over the phone.

"I love Percy," Annabeth sighed. "I really do." She slammed the empty box shut. "But the next time he eats the last bagel I swear I will throw him in the River Styx!"

Grover chuckled lowly. "Alright, get a room."

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Call me sooner next time," she told him sternly. "And come visit. Percy misses you. We all do."

"I'll try," Grover promised. "Juniper doesn't like the kids coming out to the city. She thinks the forest fires will kill them." Grover hummed thoughtfully. "I don't think she understands that fire doesn't burn up satyrs."

"Okay," Annabeth drew out the last syllable. "Bye, Grover."

There was another laugh before the line clicked off and Annabeth set down her phone with a long exhale. One of the problems with her and Percy choosing the mortal route in life was that she hardly ever got to see her old friends from camp.

The soft padding of feet on the ground followed by a yawn caught her attention. Annabeth glanced up to see Percy sleepily stumble out of the corridor.

"Hey, sleepyhead," she teased, walking up and slipping her hand in his. Annabeth kissed him softly, trying to hold in her laughter at his bed head.

"Don't go," Percy mumbled. "Stay."

Annabeth gave his hand a squeeze before she pulled hers out of his and turned back to her suitcase. As she pulled on her boots and checked on the Uber, Annabeth frowned. "You know I have to."

There was a pause. "Yeah, I know," he said defeatedly.

"I'll be back in Boxing Day," she promised. "We'll spend the rest of the week together."

"Charlie wants to see the goats at the zoo again," Percy noted. He was wearing an old hoodie and sweatpants, and his eyes were bleary with exhaustion.

"He'll have a blast when he realises Grover's actually part-goat," Annabeth told him.

She silently studied his face for a few moments. "I'm sorry I have to go," she murmured as she wrapped Percy in a tight embrace.

Percy hugged her back like he'd never let go. "Love you," he mumbled.

Annabeth kissed him one more time. "I love you too." She grabbed her suitcase and pulled the front door open. "Try not to do anything too stupid."

The last she saw of him was Percy flashing her a dorky thumbs up and small smile before the door closed on him.

To explain, Annabeth had to attend an architecture conference over the Christmas holidays. It was tough, because this was the twins' third Christmas, but she couldn't exactly blow off work.

There were notable names in her sector who were expected to be present. It wasn't an opportunity she could give up, or risk her job to stay with Percy and their children.

The flight to London was long and exhausting, but when Annabeth finally got there, she was escorted quickly to the hotel. She couldn't help admiring the old buildings and stone walls of London.

It really was a magnificent city.

Annabeth wondered if, one day, she could live here for a year. One thing at a time.

"Jeremy!" Annabeth said cheerfully as she gave her boss a firm handshake. "How are you?"

The brunet shrugged. "As well I can be, I guess."

"Sharon and the kids unhappy that you have to work over the holidays?" Annabeth guessed.

Jeremy winced. "Yeah, she wasn't the most excited. But they're flying out here so we can at least spend Christmas Day together."

Annabeth stopped in her tracks, her luggage coming to a screeching halt at her heel. "What? Jeremy, we're working on Christmas Day."

Jeremy frowned. "No, the conference ends on Christmas Eve."

"What?" Annabeth demanded. "I-So I could be back in New York by Christmas morning?"

He shook his head. "The flights are ridiculously expensive, and probably completely full, on Christmas Day."

"But I have a whole day to make it back," Annabeth protested.

"You could try?" Jeremy said warily. He knew the best person on his team well enough to know that once Annabeth set her mind on something, nothing could dissuade her.

"Oh my Gods," Annabeth muttered as she pulled out her phone and possible paths back to America started forming in her head.

"See you at the conference...?" Jeremy trailed off questioningly, knowing that her attention was now off him.

Annabeth spent the next three days torn between her work and trying to organise the journey back home. She could practically imagine it in her head.

The fundamentals of the plan were that she could take the train to Paris, then catch a plane to Boston. From Boston, it was a 4-hour drive back to Manhattan.

As the days counting down toward Christmas came and went, Annabeth could hardly contain her excitement. Everything was going right for once. She had forged many important connections at this conference, and she could still spend Christmas with her family.

"Safe flight," Jeremy told her with a chuckle as they parted ways. He'd told her multiple times that she was insane. It was Christmas Eve night, and there was no way she'd make it back to Manhattan in time.

"I'll make it," Annabeth promised him.

Jeremy purses his lips. "Twenty bucks says you don't."

Annabeth smirked. "I'll take that action." She turned her back on him and raced towards the taxi.

Everything started going wrong about ten minutes into the drive.

The horns of surrounding cars were deafening and made Annabeth wince. She'd underestimated the sheer amount of traffic on London roads, and

One thing was certain; there was no way she was going to make her train.

"What?" Annabeth groaned, yanking frustratedly at the hem of her sweater.

She was at the ticketing desk at St. Pancras' Train Station, and she'd missed her train by just ten minutes. Annabeth swore furiously under her breath.

"I'm sorry, ma'am," the man at the desk apologised, slightly afraid of the near-hysterical woman in front of him.

"Is there another train?" Annabeth begged. "Get me on it; I'm trying to make a flight to Boston at 11."

The man frowned. "Miss, I don't think—"

"I don't care," Annabeth hissed. She took a deep breath. She didn't want to be one of those customers. "Look, when's the next train?"

"10 o'clock," the man said with a trembling voice. "But we're full on that one."

Annabeth gritted her teeth. "Damn," she whispered.

So much for her glorious plans to surprise Percy.

"There is a train at midnight—"

Annabeth's eyes widened. "Can I get on it?" she clamoured breathlessly. If she could get to Paris, maybe the plane would be delayed, and she could just make it or catch another flight.

"One ticket to Paris," the man nodded shakily as he slid over the ticket and booking receipt to her.

Annabeth sighed in relief as she inserted her credit card and pressed in her PIN code.

Okay, so this was a minor setback.

Annabeth checked her watch. 9.27pm. So, she had a few hours to kill.

Within half an hour, Annabeth found herself at a pub just outside the station.

"Hey," Annabeth murmured as the bartender slid her half a pint of beer.

"You look like you needed some," she said comfortingly. "It's on the house."

Annabeth gave her a weak smile as she ordered a plate of fries as a thank you. As she scrolled through work emails, Annabeth heard the screeching of the bar chair beside her as someone pushed up next to her.

"One shot, please," came a male voice. "And another for the beautiful lady over here."

Annabeth glanced up in amusement to see a blonde-haired man, around her age, with a smile and a questioning look.

"Dan?" Annabeth gasped.

"Annabeth!" he chuckled brightly. "I thought I recognised you!"

They shared a reunion hug before he slid into the seat beside her.

"I haven't seen you in forever," Annabeth demanded. "How've you been?"

Dan shrugged. "Same as usual, I suppose."

Annabeth had met Daniel Russell while doing her Master's in Architecture at Brown. He'd been in most of her classes and they'd bonded when she realised that he could see through the Mist.

He was especially great because he'd helped her collect project instructions when she was off fighting monsters during lectures.

Dan was a born-and-raised Londoner. His parents were from Liverpool, but they moved to the big city and never looked back.

Dan was also a hopeless romantic. All she remembered from university was him pining after various girls who were obviously just playing his feelings.

He was always on the look-out for 'the one', and had always envied Annabeth and Percy's easy love story. Annabeth had long explained to him that they'd nearly died multiple times along this 'magical love story', but he didn't really seem to get that bit.

"I'm really sorry things didn't work out between you and Reyna," Annabeth said apologetically. She'd set them up ages ago when Reyna had travelled to London for demigod business.

Dan waved a hand dismissively. "Don't worry about it. She was lovely, and we're still in touch. Besides, it was a good ending altogether."

They chatted about everything they were doing.  Annabeth updated him on Athena and Charlie, while Dan explained to her the new architectural firm he had started — Russell Holdings.

The clock ticked by more quickly than she'd expected, and soon, she was off to her flight.

"It was great seeing you," Annabeth admitted as she gave him a one-armed hug. "And thanks for helping me pass the time." 

Dan gave her a mock salute.

"Keep looking for her!" Annabeth called to him as she headed towards the door. "She's somewhere out there, I promise."

After that nice experience, Annabeth got to the train with ten minutes to spare. She was at a comfortable time and prayed to all the gods that the flight would be delayed just enough for her to get on it.

"Come on," Annabeth muttered to herself. It didn't matter what happened; she was going to make it back on Christmas Day to see her family.

^^^^^

Unfortunately, the Olympians apparently weren't on her side today. The plane took off right on time — no delay or anything.

Annabeth seethed as she cursed under her breath. Was she a bad mother? Well, technically, her kids couldn't hear her.

"Hi, I'm trying to make it back to Manhattan," Annabeth said sweetly as she approached the ticketing counter. A strange sense of déjà vu ran through her. Of course, she'd just been in this exact situation a few hours ago. "Is there another flight to Boston?"

The attendant gave her an apologetic look that made Annabeth's heart sink. "Sorry, miss. That was our last flight to Boston."

"Anything else to America?" Annabeth asked hopefully.

There were a few seconds where Annabeth waited with bated breath as the woman clicked away at her computer.

"Actually," she said kindly. "We have a flight to Ohio leaving in an hour."

Annabeth opened and closed her mouth. "Ohio?" she said warily. With minimal traffic, that was at least an 8 hour drive away from New York. "There's really nothing else?"

"It's Christmas Day," the woman reasoned. "All our other flights are fully booked."

Annabeth sighed as she fiddled with her hands. "Yeah, okay. I'll have one ticket to Ohio, please."

Her eyes sidled to the giant clock.

4.21am.

The flight to Ohio was 12 hours, but including the time difference, Annabeth expected to arrive around 10am local time.

"Hi, yes, can I please rent a car?" Annabeth asked. She was on the plane, on the phone with a rental car company in Ohio. They were an international brand, so all she had to do was return it in New York. "I'll arrive at around 10 in the morning. Name? Oh, Annabeth Chase, thank you. See you."

She leaned back in her seat and closed her eyes. Annabeth had had no idea the journey she'd be setting off on when she left the hotel.

Was it even worth it? 

The images of Percy's grin, Athena's delighted cries of 'Mummy!', and Charlie's toothy smiles gave her the answer.

Yeah, it definitely was.

Annabeth his a smile. That reminded her of Athena's first words.

"Movie night!" Percy sang as he waltzed into the living room and torpedoed onto the couch.

"Shark attack!" Annabeth yelled as she picked up either twin in her arms and let them down on Percy's torso.

He pretended to faint from the attack as the kids giggled uncontrollably and swiped harmlessly at him.

"What do you want to watch?" Annabeth questioned through a mouthful of popcorn. "Marvel?"

"Too violent," Percy covered Athena's ears. "Don't want her first word to be 'bomb'."

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Yeah, but ''Batman' is plausible."

"You'll regret it if that's true," Percy told her. "It's not like your choices are that much better." He pointed to the whiteboard they'd pinned up on the wall beside the TV.

It had their names at the top, and under them, the words either was betting would be one of their kids' first words.

Annabeth had placed her bet on sensible options like 'Mama' or 'Dada', while Percy was being his usual dumb self.

Percy's list included but was not limited to; camp, Batman (as aforementioned), Elmo, dagger, and Hera's a bitch (that was a joke). 

Their bets were wagered on the idea that the loser got the winner's chores for the next month.

Annabeth was pretty confident in her chances.

"Come on, 'Transformers'," Percy pleaded, pointing at the television.

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "No. Paw Patrol. You know they love it."

Percy pulled a face. "What? Transformers are classics."

"Okay," Annabeth interrupted, rolling her eyes. "Let's ask them, shall we?" she said sarcastically. "Athena, what would you like to see? Bright colours? Moving shapes?"

She gave Percy one of her famous eye-rolls.

"Bah-mah."

Annabeth's heart skipped a beat.

"No," she choked, her world crumbling.

"Bah-mah," Athena insisted.

"NO!" Annabeth shrieked, leaping off the couch.

"YES!" Percy yelled, cheering as he flailed his arms around, executing the worst victory dance in history. "YES! YES! YES!"

"NO!" Annabeth cried as she collapsed to her knees next to Charlie.

Percy hopped around gleefully. "YES!"

Annabeth nearly cried that afternoon. It was one of her stupidest memories, but, in hindsight, it had been a pretty hilarious day.

<<< >>>

Annabeth spent most of the first few hours fidgeting in her seat. Her brain was in overdrive, pondering over every last detail in her path.

If she could make it through Tartarus, she could make it across the globe in under 24 hours.

The moment the plan touched down, Annabeth was on the edge of her seat. Her mind was numb with exhaustion and no sleep in over 24 hours, but there was one thing she focused on: New York City.

"Hey," she panted as she ran up to the counter of the car rental shop. "Annabeth Chase? I called you a few hours ago?"

The man raked her from head to toe with a bored expression before tossing a set of keys over the counter.

"Thanks," she muttered as she pulled out her credit card to pay.

It was an old Toyota with a manual driving system. Annabeth winced as she realised that she hadn't actually driven a manual car since attaining her license.

"Focus," she whispered repeatedly as a mantra as she reversed out of the driveway and onto the highway.

Music played softly out of her phone. It was an hour before Annabeth realised that it was playing nursery rhymes.

"Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream..."

Annabeth blinked suddenly. Wait, what?

Percy must've used their Spotify account last for the kids when he drove them to school. A smile grew on her face as she imagined Percy trying to deliver two crying babies to their preschool.

She switched to her Christmas playlist — Maria Carey, Frosty the Snowman — which lifted her spirits immediately. Humming the tune under her breath, Annabeth tapped the steering wheel along to the rhythm.

She wondered what Percy and the kids were doing. Well, considering it was noon, they were probably having Christmas lunch with Sally, Paul and Estelle.

Annabeth made a mental note to take Estelle to the ice skating rink again. It had been awhile since they'd hung out, just them.

She took in a deep breath. 6 more hours to go.

The sign for Pennsylvania breezed by and put a smile on her face.  

"Annabeth," Percy whined. He jabbed a finger at the tourist guide 'Top 10s in Pennsylvania'.

It had been one of their first holidays with the twins as a family. Athena and Charlie were only 2, and Annabeth and Percy couldn't afford more than a road trip.

"Shouldn't we immerse our children in culture?" Annabeth pointed out. "Instead of..." She frowned. "...Hersheypark?"

Percy gave her an unconvinced look. "Culture? Annabeth — how are you even American? Hersheypark would be great for the kids!"

"Oh, don't use the kids as an excuse," Annabeth laughed.

Percy blushed. "Fine. The rides are supposed to be phenomenal."

Annabeth gave him an accusatory eyebrow-raise. "You copied that from the pamphlet."

"How'd you know?" Percy demanded.

"Spell 'phenomenal', Seaweed Brain," Annabeth teased.

A loud cry interrupted them. Annabeth sighed as she picked Charlie up into her arms. "Oh gods, it's a number two."

"Again?" Percy complained. "Is he eating Indian food when we're not looking?"

Annabeth snorted. "This one's yours, by the way."

Percy groaned. "What?" Hé begrudgingly took Charlie into his arms

"I got up when Athena cried in the morning," Annabeth reminded defensively. "Sucker," she crowed triumphantly as Percy gave her a dirty look on his way to the bathroom. 

<<<>>>

Beep.

Beep.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"AH!" Annabeth's eyes sprang open as her hands gripped the steering wheel even tighter. The car horns blaring at her from behind nearly made her fall off her seat.

"Oh, Hades," she hissed under her breath, her heart racing rapidly.

Creak. Creaaaaak. Creeeeak.

"No," she whispered. "No, no, no, no, no," Annabeth groaned, slamming her hand on the windshield. "Come on! Don't do this!"

It was past 7pm just outside New York when Annabeth's car broke down.

A string of curses flew out of her mouth. Annabeth forced herself to swerve to the side, blinking away the blurry tears welling in her eyes.

There she was, by the sidewalk, having made it halfway across the world, and a broken engine was stopping her.

Annabeth slumped back in her seat, her hands muffling her soft gasps. "Come on," she whispered frustratedly, brushing her tears away furiously.

She'd made it so far. So damn far.

And still, she wouldn't make it back in time.

Her eyes flickered to the dark sky and the sheets of snow blanketing the road.

"I'm dreaming of a white christmas..." came the song on the radio.

Annabeth closed her eyes. She would do anything to be with her family. Anything at all.

"Anything?"

Annabeth shrieked as her fist reared back and socked the man sitting next to her in the face.

"Ow!" Hermes yelled out, grabbing his injured nose. "Annabeth!"

Annabeth's hands flew to her mouth. "Lord Hermes!" she shrieked. "I'm so sorry! What are you—Why are you—"

"A simple 'hello' would do," Hermes said, his voice muffled by his hand. He glared at her.

She pointedly ignored him. "What are you doing here?"

Hermes moves his hands away from his bloodied nose. "I'm here as a favour to your mother. A long standing debt I owed her," he said dismissively. "I'm here to bring you back to Manhattan."

Annabeth's mouth fell open. "Manhattan?" she stammered. "Me?"

"Yes," Hermes said impatiently. "Chop, chop. Zeus has a wonderful Christmas feast I plan to attend."

Annabeth instantly reached out to grab his forearm. "Hermes, I—thank—"

She was cut off by the world disappearing around her and dizziness overwhelming her senses.

"Woah," escaped her once they landed. Annabeth lurched momentarily.

Don't throw up, don't throw up, don't throw up.

"Please don't," Hermes muttered.

Annabeth reached out and found a wall to steady herself upon. When the world stopped turning, she was in her apartment.

"Thank you," she said breathlessly. "How can I—?"

"Say a little prayer for us." Hermes winked and disappeared into thin air.

Annabeth sat down suddenly on the futon. A moment ago, she'd been in her car. Too far away from anyone she loved.

"Percy," she called out timidly as she flicked on the light switch.

No answer.

Annabeth frowned. It was too quiet. She had two toddlers — no way could the house ever be this silent.

Something was wrong.

Annabeth's heart sank as she picked up the notepad by the phone.

13 Rubyfield Place.

It was Percy's handwriting, but Piper's address.

Annabeth leaned back against the wall with a miserable sigh. So, she missed her train, missed her flight, drove across the country, air-travelled with a god, for nothing?

They must've gone over to Piper's house to spend Christmas.

Annabeth closed her eyes. Piper's house was outside of New York City. It was at least a half-an-hour drive, even more considering the snowstorm.

"Shit," Annabeth whispered.

Then she had the strangest recollection.

"Mama!" Athena complained, followed by a stream of unintelligible gibberish that Percy had classed as "Ewok language".

"Yes, yes, I know you want the pretzels," Annabeth sighed, picking the packet off of the shelves. She tossed it into their piling groceries in the trolley. Athena waved her shiny arms excitedly from where she was sitting inside the trolley.

"What about you, buddy?" Percy cooed as he walked by her side, Charlie on his shoulders. "Biscuits? Candy?"

Six months ago, both of them would have waited with bated breath to hear him speak his first words. After Athena started speaking at nine months old, Annabeth had expected her son to do the same.

Unfortunately, it didn't seem like it was a trait they shared. Not a single pip out of Charlie. Some crying, some random noises, but he never spoke. Annabeth assumed it was because he never found the need to — Percy and herself always understood him exactly.

Instead..."No," Annabeth interjected firmly, glaring at her husband.

"Mummy's the fun police," Percy murmured to his son.

"You need to get the cereal," Annabeth told him. "Put Charlie down and get on with it."

Percy groaned, but he put Charlie down on the floor next to Annabeth and slinked into the next aisle. Annabeth debated between bending down to grasp Charlie's hand or letting him totter around by himself.

She decided to watch him stagger around like a drunkard.

"Okay, just formula and we're done," Annabeth murmured to herself, mentally checking it off the shopping list in her head.

She stood on her tiptoes to reach the can of milk powder on the top shelf. Her fingers just brushed the can before it was sent sprawling over. The heavy can rolled off the shelf and fell slap-bang on Annabeth's head.

"Ah, shit!" Annabeth cursed involuntarily, rubbing the back of her head with a pained expression. "Ow!"

As she hissed painfully and picked the can up off the floor, Charlie skipped up to her enthusiastically and said, "Shit."

To be fair, it sounded more like "it", but for Annabeth, she nearly passed out from the sheer astonishment.

"You have got to be kidding me," she groaned.

"It."

"No!" she yelped in alarm, sweeping her one-and-half-year-old potty-mouthed son up into her arms. "No, don't say that!"

"It."

Annabeth wanted to slap herself. Percy was never going to let her live this down. She'd been the one to make sure that no swear words were said around the kids so that they didn't pick any of them up.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear. Percy rounded the corner and feigned running to catch Athena, who giggled and cheered in amusement.

"Hey, Percy," Annabeth said nervously. "Got the-uh formula. Let's go pay, I guess."

Percy gave her a strange look. "You okay?"

Annabeth flushed. "Yeah, yeah. Fine. Great. I'm awesome."

"It."

Percy's eyes flickered between Charlie, who was insistently repeating his first word, and Annabeth's guilty features. "Oh. My. Gods."

Percy burst into peals of laughter, nearly stumbling into a stack of Doritos. "You-you-," he managed before laughing at her again.

"You suck," Annabeth said sullenly as she crossed her arms.

"You have to the dishes for the next month!" Percy said triumphantly. "And you told me not to put swear words on the board!"

Annabeth glared at him. She'd completely forgotten about the board of potential first words. Percy had put swear words on as a joke, but he'd won both bets so far.

"Shut up," Annabeth complained as she pushed the trolley forward, refusing to look at him. "I knew I shouldn't have married you."

Percy pecked her on the cheek before picking up Athena and dancing her around the supermarket gleeful. "Aw, you'd die without me."

<<< >>>

Annabeth sprang up from the futon and rushed out the door. Yes, she'd felt like a terrible mother after that day. Yes, it was nearing nighttime and the end of Christmas Day. But in the end, it was all worth it.

Frankly, she'd walk through Tartarus again for her family.

"Hey! Hi! Rubyfield, please," Annabeth told the cab driver as she waved him down.

She slid into the seat and watched as the apartment door retreated into the distance. Annabeth thanked her mother and the other Olympians as they drove, because they reached Piper's house in under thirty minutes.

Annabeth pulled the spare key Piper had given her out of her pocket and jimmied the door open.

She stepped into a cozy wonderland of Christmas spirit. Laughs echoed down the hallway, and the warm glow of a fireplace and lights lit the house. The wooden floorboards creaked with footsteps and the smell of Jason's signature cookies could've made her drool.

This was what Christmas was all about.

Annabeth slid off her heels and dropped her coat off at the front. Her corduroy skirt, stockings, and turtleneck sweater weren't the most holiday-appropriate, but she was here, and that in itself was unbelievable.

You made it, she told herself. Give yourself some credit for that.

Annabeth hesitated in front of the door to the living room. A long journey had brought her to this moment. Annabeth hoped it was worth it.

And it was.

When she pushed the door open, all heads turned to look at her as she stepped inside.

The slack of astonishment in Percy's features made a bubble of warmth explode in Annabeth's chest. In a moment, he was at her side, arms wrapped around her tightly as they kissed in a passionate embrace.

"You're here," he murmured feverishly, when they drew apart, hot breaths fanning on each other.

"I love you too much to stay away," she whispered back.

"Mummy!" Two small cannonballs of weight trampled their ways over, smashing into Annabeth's legs.

"I missed you," Annabeth sighed happily as she knelt down and shared a group hug with the twins. Athena's hair was in two braids — Percy had to learnt how to do her hair when she was born — and they were in matching Christmas sweaters of a pop-up reindeer and a snowman.

Annabeth stood up with one twin in either arm. "Oh, you've grown since I last saw you," she groaned as she whisked them over to the other kids.

As she set them down, Annabeth was attacked by a flurry of her other friends.

Nico, Will, Thalia, and the rest of the Seven were all there. Annabeth couldn't believe how much she'd missed them.

"I can't believe you're here," Percy told her after all greetings had been exchanged. "I thought you were working Christmas Day?"

She shook her head. "No, turns out that I had it wrong."

"Was it difficult to get back here in time?" Percy asked.

Annabeth smiled. "Not at all. It was worth it."

She kissed him once more as she settled into the armchair.

It was 8pm on Christmas night and Annabeth was right at home.

—*—

merry christmas 🎅🏻🎄❤️ !!! 'tis the season to be thankful for my readers, and how happy you all have made me time and time again 🥰 whether you celebrate this holiday or not, have a wonderful day and winter !

i decided to post this week's chapter today — on Christmas Day — instead of on Monday, and I hope you enjoyed it!

thank you for sticking around to here the rest of Percy and Annabeth's stories, and wishing everyone a great christmas!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9K 98 27
(mostly) One part stories about the characters of Percy Jackson and the Olympians and Heroes of Olympus. Some are AUs, which means it isn't based in...
18.3K 276 42
This entire book is just going to be Solangelo and Percabeth fluff, oneshots, and headcannons. Of course, the boys will be doing dumb things together...
123K 1.3K 39
Mortals meeting Percabeth (and some others). Prepare to want to kill some of these OCs. And please don't make hate comments. Think before you speak (...
54.9K 586 14
We all know the classic mortals meet demigods stories, and well, that's exactly what it is. One shot stories of mortals and (spoiler alert!) a couple...