GAMES BY DIM LIGHT || Mature...

By MireyaZachani

Sixteen years ago, Melanie was supposed to be crashing a party on her birthday with her friend. It was a week... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24.
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
AUTHOR'S NOTE
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
Author's Note
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
Author's Note
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
Note Of Thanks

CHAPTER 70

391 38 8
By MireyaZachani

Song for this chapter:
* Sea Of Lovers
By: Christina Perri
*Best Part Of Me
By: Ed Sheeran ft. Yebba

Derrick's POV

I pulled her into my arms as soon as the song Sea Of Lovers by Christina Perri started.

I smiled at her and she returned end the smile. I know I don't like it when she drinks, but I guess sometimes I have to let her do what she wants.

We stayed that way for a while, swaying to the sound of the music. Her hairspray, going into my nose and filling me up like a drug.

She looked up at me and I felt she wanted to say something.

"What is it?"
I asked.

"I'm getting married."
She said to me.

I waited to process what she said. At first I thought I heard wrong. No, I know I heard wrong.

"What was that?"

"I'm getting married, Derrick."
She repeated. My hearing abilities weren't playing tricks on me. She was indeed getting married.

I looked around the room as lovers paired up to dance to the new song. I remembered this was us few weeks ago, when I asked her to dance during Tammy and Lucas's engagement party.

"What?"
I asked the second time.

She sighed and looked around as if looking for a way to walk out on me. "I said, I'm getting married. I've said that three times already."

No kidding.

"Getting married? And you're just telling me now? Wait. . .How. . .Who?"

She stared at me for a bit, then said, "Henry asked me to marry him. And I said yes."

That was the drop of the final bomb. I paused and nodded. "Okay. You love him?"

She lowered her gaze and then nodded. "Yes, I do. I have learnt to love him, Derrick."

"What happened to us, Melanie? The night we made love, was that. . . Was it all an act? I know I felt something. Didn't you?"

She sighed. "Derrick, I . . . You and I, we might not be meant for each other." She shrugged. I just hope she knew his much that hurt me.

"I'm sorry. That night was. . .wonderful for me. But I just wanted to. . .part with you."

"You wanted to part with me? So, you had to throw yourself at me like that?"

"Excuse me, I didn't throw myself at you."
She looked annoyed all of a sudden.

I sighed. "Melanie. . . I love you. You know that, right? And I will do anything to make you happy. All I want it for you to be happy. If you want to spend the rest of your life with him, I'll let you. Okay?"

She nodded. As much as I wanted to take back those words, I still leaned forward and kissed her forehead.

"And, it's a wrap!"
Someone said beside us. I turned to find AJ closing a camera and then Melanie grinned at her.

"How did we do?"
She asked.

"Perfect. I was close to shedding tears, baby."
AJ said.

I was utterly confused. I turned from my sister to Melanie for an explanation. She smirked, then laughed. Everyone else was still dancing like they were in lala land.

"What is going on?"
I asked.

Melanie laughed.

"You're a great actress, Mel. I think they will love this."
AJ said and laughed all the way to the bar to get a drink.

"Hey, guard it with your life!"
Melanie shouted after her.

She turned to me and smiled. "Come on, let's go outside, shall we?". She said.

I followed because I was determined to get to the root of all this. And I was still confused.
We made it to the terrace. She turned to me and laughed.

" I'm sorry. I think its the alcohol that's getting me in a high. How was my performance? "

"Performance?"

"That was a joke, Derrick. I'm not engaged and I'm not getting married."

What the. . .

"You're not?"

"No. Actually, I talked with Henry. He did propose. But. . . I couldn't do it, Derrick. The universe has a way of bringing people into our lives and she brought you. I can't stay away from you, Derrick. Maya told me to let fate take the lead. And I just had to do it. But how do I ignore the fact that I can't stay away from you. I can't live a moment without you.

"We met in a very wrong note, but it is still fate. I love you, Derrick. Did you actually think that I would get married to him? I liked Henry. He's . . .different. But he's just not you. He doesn't carry the bad ass that comes with being a Jacob. I guess, I didn't know what I wanted until I met you. Until I met all of you."

I won't say I didn't like what I was hearing. And I wrapped my arms around her waist.

The song just changed to Best Part Of Me By Ed Sheeran And Yebba. I smiled down at her.
"You know, Jacobs don't come without drama, right? And you are way too peaceful for that."

She sighed. "Maybe I'm not. Maybe I live the drama." She smirked.

"My eyes are crossed but their still blue
I bite my nails and tell the truth
I go from thin to overweight
Day to day, it fluctuates
My skin is inked, but faded, too

She loves me, she loves me
Why the hell she love me?
She can have anyone else.
Oh, you love me, you love me
Why the hell d'you love me
When I can't even love myself.

I laughed. "I will spend the rest of my life, making it up to you for how I hurt you in the past."

"Mmm. . . You better, Mr. Jacob. Else I will blackmail you will that video."

I laughed. "What was that video about, anyway?"

"I wanted to test my acting skill. And AJ put me up for a dare with you. So, there it is. How did I do?"

"Perfect. I don't know who to beware of. You or AJ?"

"Both." She said and laughed. "What about Gina?"

"Gina? What about her?"

"I thought you both are dating?"

"Seriously? Dating?" He laughed. "Of course not. Gina is married. She lives with her husband in Abuja. Came back to Lagos to see her parents and so we spent time often. She went back few months ago."

"No wonder I haven't been seeing her. Oh my God. I was so fucking jealous of you both! I thought she's your new woman!"

I laughed. Okay, that was amusing.

"Don't laugh." She said, pouting.

"Sorry. Why would I loom else where, when you are always there, filling my eyes?"
I told her. And I saw her blush.

"I over think and still forgive.
I lose my phone and place my bets
And I never catch the train on time, always thirty minutes behind
Your worries ain't seen nothing yet

But you love me, you love me
Why the hell you love me so.
When you could have anyone else.
Yeah, yeah
He loves me, he loves me
And I bet he never lets me go.
And shows me how to love myself.

I lifted her face to mine and planted my lips on hers. She smoked into my mouth, wrapping her arms around me.

. . .lately, everything's making sense too,
Baby, I'm so in love with you.

Melanie's POV

It wasn't just happiness. It was fulfilment. I was beyond happy.

I let the song control me as I swayed to the rhythm. Derrick was the love of my life. And maybe, it wasn't just to help them heal. Maybe, it was to heal as well.

Everyone of us was broken. One way or another, we couldn't find the missing part of ourselves we lost a long time ago. But, then just as Maya would say; The brave aren't those who succeed. They're those who fail and still keep moving.

Doing what's right might not be it all. But giving yourself a chance to live again. To love again.

That could be a start of a new dawn. I smiled up at him and he kissed my forehead. The same man, I hated for ten years. The same man I vowed never to be with.

The love of my life.

~•°•~

AJ's POV

I looked up from my phone when I heard the familiar voice. I smiled up at him.

"Henry. Hi."

"Hi. Is it Ann this time or AJ?"
He said, smiling.

I chuckled. "Whichever suits you best."

"What are you doing here, Ann?"

I smiled up at him. "I'm actually waiting for someone. You?"

"I met up with someone. I'm on my way home now. It's been a while. What? Six months?"

I laughed at how he estimated it. "Actually, it has been a year now."

"Ah, yes. May I?"

"Sure."

I watched him seat opposite me. "How have you been?"

"I should be asking you, Henry. How have you been?"
I asked.

He hesitated for a bit. I knew he was avoiding the main question. And I haven't seen him in a long time. Not since that awful revelation at the beach house.

"How is Melanie doing?"
He asked. "Is she already. . ."

"Yes. She's married now. And heavy too. They say it's twins."

He nodded. "I'm happy for her."

"I'm really sorry things didn't go well between you both. I really am. And I'm sorry for acting the way I did. I just didn't . . ."

"It is fine, Ann. I love Melanie. And I admire her spirit. I'm not holding anything against her for telling me the truth. She's old enough to know what's best for her and it doesn't take a seer to know that she still loves Derrick. I'm glad she's happy."

I smiled at that. Satisfied that he understood. There was a brief silence between us. Then he stood up. "I should get going. See you later."

"Okay. I still have your number anyway. Have an nice day, Henry."

"You too."

I watched him walk out the door and went back to my phone. It chimed, indicating a message.

"Hey. What do you say about dinner sometime?"
It said.

I knew whom that was and Barry never made any sign that he would love to still spend time with me. The fact that he was sending me a message gave me a sweet surprise.

I replied. "Really? Dinner?"

"I want to spend more time with you, Miss Annie Jane. How about a romantic dinner?😅"

"Lemme think about it."

"Urgggh! Don't do this to me. I have had time to gather my wits together to ask you."

"Then, do it properly, Mister.😂😂"

Soon, my cellphone rang and I smiled at the screen. I'm loving this chase.

"I should do it properly, huh? What position would you like?"
His bold voice came into the receiver.

I snorted. "You evil child."

"Come on, babe. You know I'm ready."

"I meant that you should ask me properly, dumdum."
I said and laughed.

"Okay. AJ, will you love to go out with me for dinner?"

"I'll think about it."

"Arrrgh!"

I laughed.

"Don't make me pee in my pant, woman. Do you want to kill me? I've never had to ask a woman this much. Come on."

"Well, that's why I want to think about it."

"Okay, if I have to come over there, I'll do it."

That was enough to make me laugh out loud. Customers turned to look at me. "Okay. Fine. Geez, you are persistent. Dinner it is, Mr. Barry."

"Tomorrow at seven. I'll pick you up. How about that?"

"Sounds like super fun."

THE END!!

Before you start,I have a very important message for you🤗. THE BLACK BIRD is also available on Pabpub and Bambooks with links:
https://pabpub.com/books/893/
& https://bambooks.io/book/share/the-black-bird/14880

After The Engagement is also available on okadabooks, Pabpub and Bambooks with links:
https://bambooks.io/book/share/after-the-engagement/15039
(For Bambooks)
&
https://pabpub.com/books/669/
For Pabpub
We also have a forum for discussion on the book with link:
https://pabpub.com/messages/?b=forum::book::669_book_club

If you are available on these other platforms, please do not hesitate to drop your review on the book after Wattpad. It would mean a lot to me, to know about your thoughts on this book.

Hello, guys! I'm back again after so many months being away. But I came back with another twisted book titled HEIRS! Slid into my profile and you'll find it there waiting patiently for your arrival😊. Here's a sneak peak of what you will be meeting so you get knocked off your feet unexpectedly 😉. . .

"You giving her gbas gbos like that over Dayo. That was harsh, Grace. You just crushed her hopes with that guy."

"Good then. I wish I could smash her hopes with my hands instead and spit on them. I can't stand her puppy crush. Can't she find another guy?"

"You have Gabby. And half the school knows that. His mother is happy about that. What more do you want Dayo for."

"It is none of your business, Celia!" She snapped and walked to the window to watch Dunni's car leave the Mansion. "Dayo is available. Gabby is . . . Sometimes, he acts like I'm not important to him. I'm used to people worshipping me, Celia. And when he gives me the cold shoulder, I have Dayo to run to. He is just a shock absorber, if you know what I mean. That is why, I keep what is mine until it is of no use to me. And that is why I hate Julia."

Celia rolled her eyes. "Julia. Really? It's a wonder why you hate her, since she literally just wants to tear Gabby apart whenever she sees him."

Grace turned to Celia. "I am seventeen years old, Celia, not stupid. And I already know what it means when someone hates someone else that bad. I know how it ends. And I don't want that. I want him to hate her twice as much I do."

I'll see you at HEIRS!😘😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82 0 20
I ran away from my past not because I was afraid of it or because it was ugly. I didn't leave because I wanted to forget my past, I just wanted to fo...
35.6K 7.6K 60
"Jace stop"I murmured in between his lips. "Michelle,It has always been you"Jace whispered. "Please stop,love isn't real in your world so why now...
47 0 7
My dream didn't exist till I was fourteen where I had been through something no one should ever have to go through, something traumatic. But I've gro...
94.9K 2.7K 34
We all know that starting the next stage of Education is hard, things like moving to a new area and being a freshmen in college. Well, that explains...