Bittersweet [ Haikyuu ]

By hqstings

Various haikyuu characters x reader one shots (mostly soulmate aus) i'm bad at writing descriptions but not t... More

"wOrm?" [Iwaizumi Hajime]
Senpai [Nishinoya Yuu]
Doodles [Kozume Kenma]
Hurt [Akaashi Keji]
Lost & Found [Akaashi Keiji]
Insecurities & Flowers [Kozume Kenma]
Talented [Oikawa Tooru]
An unconventional place to meet your soulmate. [ Kageyama Tobio ]
9 times I said I love you, and the 1 time I didn't [Tsukishima Kei]

Goodbye [Kageyama Tobio]

7.2K 122 164
By hqstings

Kageyama soulmate au

Everyone has a timer on their non dominant hand's wrist to when they'll first talk to their soulmate. When the timer ends they'll meet them, if it stops abruptly signifies that their soulmate died.

don't worry you won't die.

yet.

———

You went to the same school with Kageyama even back when the two of you were in Kitagawa Daichi middle school. You knew who he was, yet you never thought to approach him. Back then you merely thought of him as any other school mate you had, simply some back ground character in your life. You never thought to talk to him, or anyone for that matter, you would rather be a loner than know a lot of fake someones.

Even so, you would still have a couple of friends, a lot of acquaintances and people you didnt really know how you met but you would wave at them. You were perceived as an all rounder, you weren't really hated by anybody nor was anyone exactly close to you, or at least that's what you claim. There were the few of those loud and extroverted kids that would be a little bit too friendly and tell you that you were their bestest friendliest friend in the world. You never really liked those kids.

Even back in middle school, everyone around you would start talking about meeting their soulmates, some of them had already found them and most of them would find their soulmates in high school, yours included. You had three more years to go, which would make you eighteen then, your last year of high school. You dreaded at the very thought of meeting them, a system that would arrange who you would eventually love? That was hilarious.

You would sometimes speak your mind on the topic of soulmates and people around you would just look at you funny. You also liked observing things, people and mainly sceneries and objects, back in Kitagawa Daichi no one really caught your attention, except maybe that one kinda tall kid who you've heard was Kageyama. At the time he intrigued you due to all the things you heard your one classmate you was in the same team as Kageyama say about him. He was an arrogant king or something and every time you walked by him you'd give him a little annoyed glare, you doubted he realised you were doing so as you noticed he never realised your presence.

———

Going in your first day of high school at Karasuno, you had the biggest shock of your life when you realised someone from your middle school was there. Part of you hoped that you wouldn't meet anyone you knew from your old school. You stared at him while he was putting in his shoe in his shoe box, your expression was blank like you were daydreaming. Scrunching your brows millions of thoughts were running through your head specifically the thought of "why was he here?" You didn't want someone you knew back in middle school to be here, let alone the king of the court.

School life in Karasuno was fun, you enjoyed your club activities, you were doing great in your studies, heck! You even made friends that you genuinely liked, they were your classmates, one was Tsukishima and the other was Yamaguci. On your fist week of school you befriended Yamaguchi since he was sitting next to you, he asked you for a pencil and you lent him and the two of you started talking and eventually he told you about his friend, Tsukishima, you heard the two of them were in the volleyball team and Tsukishima ranted to you about the idiots in the volleyball club.

When he mentioned Kageyama's name you told him you kinda knew him back in middle school. He smirked and told you everything about his bossy attitude and you learnt to dislike the raven haired boy even more.

But as time gradually passed to the end of your first year, you heard he was no longer the arrogant king people said he was, although Tsukishima would still call him that to provoke Kageyama. You started to take interest in hearing your two friend's stories about their volleyball club experience.

———

"Who do you think my soulmate would be?" You asked out of them blue one day, during recess with Yamaguchi and Tsukishima. You stared down on your wrist and started to ponder, not bothering with the fact that you didn't bring anything with you to eat nor buying anything. "Who knows?" Tsukishima said, picking up a piece of chicken from his bento.

You sighed and continued staring at the two boys. Yamaguchi took notice and asked," (y/n)-chan, where's your lunch?" You shrugged, you didn't really have an answer for that you simply were too lazy to make your own and bring it to school, resulting in you starving yourself —if you could say that, you weren't even hungry. The topic of your lunch seemed to die off as they ate while you watched.

"It says that I have about two more years before I meet them..." you started as the two boys stared at you. "Do you think it's possible that one's soulmate could be someone they've already met or heard about but never spoke to?" You asked, you didn't expect an answer it was more of a rhetorical question than anything. Tsukishima jibed in with a surprised expression and said," Theoretically, yes. The timer only counts down until the time the two of you would talk to each other, not see each other for the first time."

"But then if their soulmate was mute... then how?" Yamaguchi asked. Tsukishima simply shrugged and went off continuing his meal.

Both Tsukishima and Yamaguchi had found their soulmates during their first years, how would anyone even like Tsukki was a conspiracy in its own. You were a little envious when Yamaguchi came back and told you that the two of them found their soulmates while they were off during summer break by you were also glad they were happy, though none of their soulmates were in this school so they tend to not bother about it.

The day continued as usual but you were still pondering about your little theory about the soulmate system. Two more years felt so long, a lot can be done in those years, one of you could die and the timer would just stop leaving their significant other confused and depressed.

During Maths, Yamaguchi took notice of your little antics and asked if you were fine to which you simply said you were thinking. 'But thinking about what?' The freckled teen wondered. The thought didn't last long as the teacher scolded Yamaguchi and you for talking in class. You had to apologise to him after Maths for acting odd.

During volleyball practice, Yamaguchi decided to have a talk with Tsukishima about you, you were definitely acting odd today and you seemed so out of it, was it because of the soulmate talk the three of you had? Were you jealous that your friends found their soulmates but you didn't? Thoughts circulated the freckled boy's head as he voiced out his worries to his bespectacled friend.

Tsukishima sighed and told Yamaguchi, "It's fine, (y/n)-chan is like that, she's probably just worried she would never find her soulmate." Yamaguchi took a deep breath and agreed with Tsukki as they continued on with their practice.

Kageyama was yelling at Hinata about how he had delayed his jump and that it made his spikes a little of, resulting in being blocked and so on when he took notice of the two other first years seemingly having a conversation during practice. To his surprise, he saw that Tsukishima looked a bit worried ? Sure Yamaguchi looking worried was normal but the seemingly snarky and salty blonde? It was as if the world had been flipped upside down or that Kageyama was having a fever dream. Before he was able to walk over and ask what the ordeal was, Hinata decided to hit him with a volleyball on accident while he was trying to do a serve just as the two other first years decided to continue their practice. Kageyama turned around to face his dumbass ass friend and gave him a scolding he was sure Hinata would etch it i to his memory. This resulted in the raven haired boy to forget all about what Tsukishima and Yamaguchi were talking about.

———

Third year came faster than the time you tried to run away from an angry Tsukki from that one time you forgot to bring the homework he oh-so graciously lent you —by that you mean, you begged. Your thought somehow always fell to a certain setter a few classes behind you due to all the time your two friends would complain about them. Three years of bonding with the volleyball club and you found it funny on how they —mostly Tsukki— were still able to be annoyed by their teammates.

You would sometimes hear about Kageyama when you were sitting with some of your classmates who were mostly girls. Like that one time when you were writing down little bullet points for your next story you planned on writing, the girls you were sitting with suddenly turned to you and asked you about yourself, three years with them and you realised how little you've got to know one another. You told them you were from Kitagawa Daichi middle school and that you wanted to study abroad after high school.

They were astonished to find out that you used to go to the same school as the start setter of Karasuno and were about bombard you with questions if you hadn't quickly said you never even once spoke to him. The girls were rather disappointed as they told you that they thought the two of you might look cute together and you froze.

"What?" You asked, dumbfounded by their sudden statement. "Just because we went to the same middle school?" You asked again. They nodded and gave you a cheeky grin. "Oh, come on. Not even a part of you hope that he's your soulmate? Not even a little think he's handsome?" You shrugged and thought long and hard.

"Kinda...?" You told them. They all started giggling and telling you about your school's volleyball team and their achievements, to which you already knew from Tsukki and Yamaguchi. But you were hearing from a third party or Kageyama fans or at least you thought they were. They were always gushing about boys and sports clubs. Like that one time during your first years with them, you would over hear them talking about Oikawa. The name to you was really familiar and you couldn't point your finger at it. It took you a solid three days before you remembered who he was, you were in your bed at two in the morning, using your phone in the dark as the realisation hit you and you yelled out an "oH!" You were then told to shut up by your sibling who was sleeping opposite of your futon.

After that day, you would constantly think about the conversation you had with your classmates and Kageyama, you would stare at him whenever you walked by him in the halls or whenever you were dragged to to gym by Yamaguchi. Although you never mentioned about it to anyone, you assumed your two close friends had already realised but didn't say a thing.

Perhaps part of them knew that Kageyama was also thinking about you, whenever you were there for practice he would be quieter, whenever you walked by in the halls he would avert his eyes to the floor. Even Hinata took notice but he just didn't know why his friend was being like that.

———

Graduation came and you were going to leave for the country to study abroad to further your education. Your life was planned out but what wasn't planned was Kageyama confessing to you on the day of your graduation. You knew your timer would run out on graduation day when they announced the date, you knew it was someone from your school, what you didn't know was that your soulmate would be Kageyama, the boy whom you've known for more than six years but never spoke to.

He confessed just as your timer ran out, you had been so absorbed with the fact that you were graduating and then leaving, you forgot about your whole soulmate ordeal. You remembered being hyped up for graduation, the day you said goodbye to high school life and hello to studying abroad.

"(Y/n), someone wants to talk to you," Yamaguchi and Tsukki tapper your shoulder during the little photo session before everyone left. "Hm?" You hummed in response. "Who?"

"Kageyama" Yamaguchi meekly said. You widened your eyes, him? Of all people? On the last day of school? On graduation? Frankly, you were confused. You nodded and followed Yamaguchi as he led you to the volleyball gym where you assumed Kageyama would be.

Opening the doors, you stood close to it as Yamaguchi closed the doors, leaving you confused. You turned around and saw him in all his glory, the person whom you've sorta known since middle school. It felt odd, 'why were you doing this again?' You asked yourself.

That's when the two of your timers went off as you spoke/ inquired, "uhhh... Kageyama-san, why are you here and why did you call for me?" Swallowing the lump in his throat he realised that you were there, with a stoic expression he replied, "I didn't-" he didn't finish his sentence as he started to connect the little dots. They were set up.

Tsukishima, Yamaguchi and Hinata all knew that you and Kageyama were soulmates, it was such an obvious thing! Tsukishima and Yamaguchi knew when the timer ends for you back when the three of you were still first years, you showed it to them one day out of boredom. Whereas, Kageyama, it was because of Hinata. How did that happen? Well...:

"Kageyama, did you find your soulmate yet?" Hinata smugly asked one day while they were practicing spikes. "No," the raven haired setter replied indifferently. "Woah! I cant believe you still haven't met them yet!" Hinata squealed, "When will you meet them? Let me see , let me see!" He lunged towards the setter, mid practice, trying to uncover his wrist as the now second year Tsukishima and Yamaguchi stared.

"AHA! One-ish more year left! Ha, Kageyama! I beat you to it! Mine is in six months!" Hinata proclaimed. Tsukishima sighed as Yamaguchi widened his eyes, nudging his blonde friend, he told him about this wild theory about how you could possibly be Kageyama's soulmate. That earned a scoff from Tsukishima.

Kageyama glared at the short middle blocker and warned him that if he were to speak on it again, no balls would be sent to his direction. This made Hinata freeze on spot and apologise profusely.

Later that day, after practice, Tsukishima decided to tell Hinata about his little theory and they decided that it was best if they didn't tell anyone about it, it was best to let nature take its course.

Back to the current timeline, you stared at him as he did the same to you. You thought about the times you would stare at him and how you hoped that he would notice you, you thought about how many years had passed since you first 'met' him and how he had grown over the years. You thought about how you were leaving the country in a few days and wouldn't be back for another few years and how you might lose connection with your friends.

You thought about how you were going to leave your soulmate.

Six years, this whole time, the two of you were so close yet so far from each other. If only either one of you initiated a conversation or if someone found out. O-or...

Kageyama gave you a warm yet awkward smile from suddenly finding out that you were his soulmate, he thought about you quite a lot from back when the two of you were still in middle school, yet he never once spoke to you. Part of him cursed himself for doing so. But you were there now, in front of him. Finally. Part of him longed for you and the other part somehow knew that it wouldn't last long.

You started sobbing, wiping away the tears as you looked at him in the eyes. You gave him a weak smile and ushered out, "I-I'll be leaving in a few days, I won't be back for years." He walked closer to you, he had a pitying look on his face, he was devastated, his intuition was right, you would only be there with him for awhile even though the two of you had been in each other's radar for years. Now it was time for goodbye.

"I'm sorry..." you spoke through sobs as you wrapped your arms around him tightly, staining his graduation gown but you assumed he didn't mind, at least he wasn't pushing you away. You felt so terrible for leaving, soulmates were supposed to be together forever and yet you would be leaving for who knows how long, to study, for years.

Time can change people, the perfect example was standing right in front of you. You hoped it would turn out for the better.

"I'll wait for you" Kageyama finally spoke, wrapping you in his arms tightly like you would be gone if he made a slip up.

———

You left for the airport a few hours ago, you had already said goodbye to everyone close to you, including Kageyama. It was fine though, probably. Your cellphone wouldn't be working in another country nor did you have any socials but it would be fine, you reassured yourself.

It would be fine. It would only be a few years.

"Goodbye," you said as you waved them off, staring at Kageyama a bit longer.

"Goodbye," You repeated, tears welling up as you saw him mouth the same thing you said, only that he added a little something at the end 'I love you'.

And then you left.

———

Word count: 3058 words
Authors notes:
I tried to write angst ;-; idk if i did well, I was just sad about chapter 369 of the manga so I kinda put my feelings here. I realised my word count gradually gets higher and higher but oh well. Also I kinda wrote it like on different days and it's like so long I kinda don't wanna check for spelling errors skdhdkdhdkdh
Is this sad enough?
Okay
Bye
14 October 2019

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.2K 1K 62
HQ!! x Reader --Oneshots-- Where as (y/n)-you-are paired with many and most HQ!! guys, and girls if you want, just ask in the comments. The scenari...
1.3M 37.8K 74
Leave comments of which Haikyuu!! boy you want to read next! WARNING: I do not write lemons/smuts. Please do not request for them because I do not fe...
32.5K 279 48
There will be: Lemon/Smut 🍋 Fluff☁️ Angst/Sad☔️ Yandere⛓ Started: 10/13/20 - Ended ?/?/?
52.2K 1.1K 16
𝙾𝙸𝙺𝙰𝚆𝙰 𝚃𝙾𝙾𝚁𝚄 X READER ; one shots 「ᴄᴏᴍᴘʟᴇᴛᴇᴅ」 • Note: i wrote some of these back in my junior years, so i apologize if there's hella lot...