And I'd Do It Again

By NeneJPhilly

Mercedes Jones is a college freshman just trying to survive her first year of university but when her childho... More

In the Beginning
Thanks Shall Be Givin
It Feels a Lot Like Slapsgiving
Going Back to the Beginning
Lust is Your New Best Friend
What's Your Truth?
Laying Foundation
First Date Jitters
Operation: Quick Part I
Operation: Quick Part II
Cheater, Cheater, Pumpkin Eater
The Prodigal Child Returns
Backpacking Across Europe but Not Really
Trial Separation
Shop Around
Graduates Please Stand Up
Shh! We're Hunting Apartments
This is Our Breakup Song
Mi Familia
Dance Party
Days are Just Pages on a Calendar
Smashing Glasses
Lake Day Part I
Lake Day Part II
Not Interchangeable
Double Dating
Everybody Talks
Martie: Boo Thang and RT
Realizations
Dinner
Love is for Suckas Part I
Love is for Suckas Part II
Wallowing
Birthday Song
The Storm & the Aftermath
Can We Talk?
Friday is Funday
The Magic's All Run Out
Try, Try Again
Picture Day
We're Moving On Up
In Your Darkest Nights
We Can't Stop
About Last Friday Night
Graduation
Family Togetherness
Maddie Day
We Bought a Zoo
Camera Ready
She Knows
Goldfish Part I
Goldfish Part II
Hang On, We're Going Home
In the End

Kung Fu Fighting

64 3 0
By NeneJPhilly

Karou hugged Marcy tightly. "I'm going to miss you, CC!"

"Stay the summer, genius!" She couldn't breathe.

"I will! Let me know when you go home."

"I'll call you." Marcy pried her off.

"Can't wait to have you, Cuz!" Joey slapped hands with Marc.

"You'll see me soon!" Marc laughed.

India hugged Mercedes. "I'm coming to visit you this summer!"

"Good! Christmas was so long ago!" Mercedes squeezed her tight.

The departing trio got in the taxi and took off to the airport.

Marc shut the door. "Who's sick of pizza?"

"Me!" Marcy, Mercedes and Rose raised their hands.

He nodded once. "Agreed! I don't want to see another pizza for at least a few weeks!"

Rose clapped her hands. "Okay, you three go clean while I pack the picnic basket! Do you want your usuals?"

"Yep!" Marc went to clean the living room.

"Yes." Mercedes went to clean the den.

Marcy turned to go clean the dining room but Rose stopped her first. "Wait! What do the twins eat for lunch?"

"I can make it."

"No, no. You're cleaning. I'm making lunch."

Marcy shrugged. "Ham with Swiss on wheat. Mally likes string cheese. I don't give them chips yet. Mally eats oranges and Mickey likes bananas."

Rose went down the list of things she'd bought at the store the day before. "I have all that. What do they like on their bread?"

"Mally likes plain Miracle Whip but Mickey likes it and Dijon mustard."

"Okay. You go clean and I'll do this."

Marcy went to the dining room.

Rose was happy with the lack of attitude. Maybe Marcy was lightening up? Either way, Rose went to the kitchen and turned on the stereo. She could hear different music coming from the other rooms and knew her musically inclined children were doing what she was; using music to make the work go faster.

She used the CD portion to listen to one of her mother's albums and went to the fridge. She stored pear, apple, orange, cranberry apple and strawberry juices in the freezer. Then she grabbed meats, cheeses, condiments, lettuce and tomatoes from the refrigerator.

She grabbed chicken from the freezer and put it on to boil before washing her hands. Then she grabbed wheat bread and put a thin layer of Miracle Whip on two slices. She piled on ham and Swiss cheese before closing the sandwich. She cut it in half then stuffed it in a sandwich bag.

She decided to make Marcy's sandwich next. She grabbed four pieces of seven grain bread and spread Miracle Whip on all four. Then she layered on turkey and Havarti cheese with buttercrunch lettuce. She squirted on a dollop of honey mustard then closed the sandwiches and cutting them into triangles. She stuffed them into two sandwich bags and set them aside.

She went to check on the chicken and found it nearly done so she went back to making the other sandwiches. She decided to make her husband's favorite sandwich for him. A Reuben. She quickly built two sandwiches and stuffed them in sandwich bags.

She went back to the chicken and turned off the burner before going to the refrigerator and pulling out grapes, celery and onions. She chopped all three and left them in a bowl with curry powder.

Gingerly, she forked apart the chicken; burning her fingers from the steam. Finally getting it all shredded, she put it in the bowl with the chopped ingredients and added Miracle Whip.

She mixed it together before spreading a bit of Miracle Whip on ciabatta bread. She used bib lettuce to hold the chicken salad. She poured half on the lettuce before topping it with the another piece of lettuce and the top. She cut it in half and stuffed it in a sandwich bag.

She quickly made the other sandwich and cleaned up her mess before making two of Marc's favorite sandwich. Then she made Mickey's.

She made her own ham sandwich with cheddar cheese and tomato. She sliced it in half before doing it again. With the sandwiches made, she packed them in the basket.

She stored string cheese, pickles, Laughing Cow Swiss cheese and Mini Babybel cheese inside the basket.

She grabbed the graham crackers and broke them into twos and stored them in snack baggies. She poured square cheese crackers in snack baggies before doing the same with tiny pretzel twists.

She stored all three in the basket before pulling fruit from the refrigerator. She washed off piles of grapes before putting them in sandwich bags and storing them in the freezer with the juice. Then she hulled strawberries and repeated the process. She threw pears, oranges and bananas in the basket.

She grabbed celery from the refrigerator and chopped it into uniform sticks. She stuffed them into sandwich bags. Then she grabbed radishes from the fridge and washed them off before pouring them into sandwich bags. She put both the celery sticks and radishes in the refrigerator.

She cleaned up her mess and stored the basket in the fridge. She turned the music off then went to see how the cleaning went. She checked the living room first and saw it was picture perfect.

She went to the den next and saw it was as clean as it was Sunday. She checked the dining room and saw that it was spic and span, too.

She checked everywhere downstairs then went up to see where her children and grandchildren were. She found them in her older daughter's room, on the floor playing Duck, Duck, Goose.

She stood in the doorway with a smile as Mally went around the small circle, patting everyone's head and saying "duck". He went around a few times before he hit his uncle. "Goose!"

Marc stood up slowly as Mally ran around the circle. He took deliberate footsteps and let Mally find his space. "Aww man! Guess I'm it."

Mercedes tickled Mally. "Good job. sweet boy!"

Mally giggled as he squirmed to get away.

Rose smiled serenely at the picture.

Marc went around the circle before poking Mickey. "Goose!"

Mickey stood up and chased him down. He stayed a finger's width from her until he came upon his spot then stopped. She ran into him and clutched his legs. "I got you, Tio!"

"Yeah, you got me." He picked her up.

Marcy climbed to her feet. "Okay, it's time to play Let's Get Dressed. Ready?"

Mally climbed to his feet and ran out the room, giggling.

Marcy groaned. "Now I gotta find a way to not want to drown him when I catch him."

"That's not funny, Marcy!" Mercedes was appalled.

"I'm not joking." Marcy went to Rose. "Excuse me."

Rose moved.

Marc jostled Mickey. "Is Mommy really going to get Mally?"

Mickey nodded.

"Wanna go see?"

"Marc!" Mercedes set her hands on her hips.

Mickey grinned and nodded.

"Come on, let's go!" Marc left the room.

Mercedes got up. "I guess I have to go save my nephew!"

Rose found it amusing as she shut the door behind herself and followed behind.

M&MC

Marcy frowned at her reflection as she wiped away steam from her bathroom mirror. The hot air was making her hair curl. She finished drying off before leaving the tiny bathroom connected to her room.

She really missed her bathroom back in Italy...

She dressed quickly in her new underwear, which she had to admit, she really liked. Then she went to her closet, where all her new purchases sat in their bags.

She felt like dressing like a girly girl today. She'd been wearing jean shorts all week. She went through the bags until she found a tiny black A-line skirt with matching lace petticoats and had a wide black band across the top.

She went through another bag that she knew had tops in it and found a lacy peach colored top with bell sleeves, buttons and a tie hem. The collar was as sheer as the sleeves.

She didn't feel like explaining her tattoos to the other people at the park so she grabbed black tights on her way to finding shoes. She chose black heeled booties with silver zippers and buckles.

She found black dress socks because the shoes were a little big.

She quickly got dressed before brushing out her hair and finding a black skull and crossbones hairband to put in her hair. She chose music note earrings, her moon necklace and wrapped her rosary around her wrist.

Then she applied minimum foundation, pinched her cheeks for a natural blush, applied black eyeliner, peach eyeshadow and peach lipstick. She put away her makeup case and finally unlocked her bedroom door. The twins had a habit of barging in. They'd learned to do it as soon as they could reach the doorknob.

She opened the door and went downstairs to find her children. "Mally?! Mickey?!"

Footsteps echoed as the two ran from the den. "Mommy!"

"What are you doing?" She put her hands on her knees to look into their faces.

"Tia Mercy movie." Mally said.

"What kind of movie?"

"Bears." Mickey piped up.

"Bears?" Marcy was confused. "Let me see."

They each took a hand and led her to the den, where Mercedes was sitting.

Marcy looked at the screen. "The Carebears?"

"I figured they'd like it." Mercedes shrugged.

"How into it were they?"

"They were paying attention."

Marcy set the kids on the couch to let them continue watching TV. "How into it are you?"

"They used to be so cute. What happened?!"

Marcy chuckled. "We were kids."

"This is crap now."

Marcy smiled. "Where's Marc?"

"I think he's in his room on the phone."

"You think it's with Laura?" Ever since Laura (Jessie) announced her divorce, Marc had been flying around her, making jokes and flirting big time.

"We'd hear more fighting if it was. He'd have gone too far and she'd of course get angry and it'd go from there."

"True. They fight a lot."

"So do you and Mal."

"Do you want me to leave?" She hooked a thumb behind her.

"I'm just saying. You fight like cats and dogs."

"I resent that. I'm no cat."

"Uh huh. So I see you can't keep your lips off him. What's that about and you're with someone else?"

"He keeps ambushing me."

"Why don't you push him away?"

"I do."

"Why don't you push him away before the ten minute mark?"

Marcy twisted her lips as she looked away.

"I know you still have feelings for him..." Mercedes said quietly. "It's okay."

"They'll go away."

"Do you want them to?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"That's the way it needs to be. We shouldn't be together and we're not. Having feelings is stupid."

"Having feelings is not stupid. You don't have to be brave all the time."

"If I don't protect myself, no one else will."

Mercedes looked at her closely. That was as close to weakness as Marcy ever admitted. "Mal wouldn't hurt you."

"He already did."

"Well maybe instead of us telling you not to be mad, we should give you tips on dealing with your anger? You're right. You don't hold grudges and you're going to forgive him eventually. If you're managing your anger, your life will be happier. Being so angry at so many people is going to harm you."

"I do feel like I'm going to get an ulcer."

"Every time you think about what he did, remind yourself that he gave you two wonderful children that will always love you."

"Thanks, Sis."

Mercedes smiled. "Can I get a hug?"

"And you ruined it."

Mercedes turned around and put her knees in the couch to lean against the back. "Come on! Give me a hug!"

"I'm going to go get some juice."

"Is it straight juice?"

"What? You think I'm going to put some vodka in my apple juice? What kind of responsible mother do you take me for?" Marcy played innocent as she walked out.

Mercedes giggled. "You're not slick!"

M&MC

Rose took the basket out of the fridge and set it on the counter. She took everything out before going back to the fridge to get the now frozen juices out of the freezer. She packed them at the bottom of the basket and placed the sandwiches on top. She took the fruit out of the freezer and put them on top of the sandwiches with the celery sticks and radishes.

Then she added the cheese, pickles and crackers before going for the new bags of Doritos she'd bought the day before. She packed them away with napkins.

She checked to make sure she hadn't forgotten anything when she noticed she'd left the pretzels out. She packed them away and left the basket on the counter before going to find her children.

She checked the den first and found them watching a movie with the twins. "What are you watching?"

"Strawberry Shortcake." Marc looked glazed over.

"You don't seem too into it."

"How many names for pie is there?"

Rose wrote him off as being gone so she turned to Marcy, who was on her phone. "Is it for the kids?"

"Yep." Marcy monotoned.

"So you don't like it?"

"Nope."

Rose pursed her lips. She would not be getting any more out of her so she turned to Mercedes. "Are you ready to spend time together? It's going to be fun."

Mercedes smiled at her mother's attempt. "Yeah."

"Well come on. It's time to go. We will have to take Travis because our cars are too small. Your father is going to meet us there."

"Okay." Mercedes turned the movie off (amidst Mickey's and Mally's groans). "Come on, guys."

"Where we going?" Mickey asked.

"To the park. Isn't that great?" Rose smiled at her.

Mickey grinned. "Yay!"

Rose was so happy to have someone actually excited about something she'd done. "Come on. Go get your coats."

Mickey and Mally slid off the couch and ran out to put on the jackets they couldn't actually reach on the hooks.

Marc blinked as his faculties came rushing back. He shook his head. "What happened?"

"The movie's over, dingbat." Marcy stood and walked out.

"She's a bitter little thing." He stood up.

"I heard that!"

"With the hearing of a bat!" He walked out.

Rose reached for the giggling Mercedes' hand. "You're my little helper."

"Helping you do what?" Mercedes was suspicious.

"Anything. You're always there for me. Thank you."

"I love you, Momma." Mercedes was unused to saying it but it was the truth. Their family wasn't big on affection. Or words. But they always knew they loved each other. She hoped.

"I love you, too. Stay my sweet girl." Rose squeezed her hand before tugging Mercedes out. She led her to the foyer where the others were waiting with their jackets on. "Marc? Will you grab the basket out of the kitchen? It's on the island."

"Okay." Marc headed to the kitchen.

"Mercy? Can you get the blanket from the hall closet?"

"Yes, Momma." Mercedes went down the hall.

Rose wanted to talk to Marcy but didn't want to get shot down. "Do you remember how you'd sing the Golden Girls theme?"

Marcy raised an eyebrow. "Where did that come from?"

"I was just thinking about when you were their age and you and your sister would sing and dance to anything."

Marcy grinned.
"Thank you for being a friend
Traveled down the road and back again
Your heart is true
You're a pal and a confidante
And if you threw a party
And invited everyone you knew
You would see
The biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
Thank you for being a friend"

Rose giggled. "That's the one!"

"Man, I haven't thought about that show in years!" Marcy was in awe that she remembered the words.

"Got it!" Marc returned with the picnic basket.

"Did I hear you singing?" Mercedes came back with the large checkered blanket.

"Yes. The Golden Girls song." Marcy grinned. "Remember it?"

"Thank you for being a friend"

Marcy joined in.
"Traveled down the road and back again
Your heart is true
You're a pal and a confidante
And if you threw a party
And invited everyone you knew
You would see
The biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
Thank you for being a friend"

"Ha!" Marc bent over at the waist and laughed. "You're so old!"

"Hey! You're the old man!" Marcy snapped.

"You do the same exact things day in and day out and you golf!" Mercedes added.

"Alright! But you're both old, too!" Marc straightened.

"That's a good comeback." Marcy snarked.

"Come on, let's go." Rose didn't want them to start fighting.

Mickey pulled on her mother's skirt. "We going now?"

"Yes. Yes, we are." Marcy opened the door. The little girl and her twin ran out onto the porch. "Go to the car!"

The two ran for the Lincoln and stood at the backdoors as they waited for their elders to catch up.

Rose, Marc, Mercedes and Marcy walked to the car. Rose and Marc buckled the twins in their car-seats before getting in. Mercedes got in the front with Marcy.

The teenaged mother drove not far from their house to the library. She parked in their parking lot and got out. The family walked across the street to the park. They saw the Changs were already there.

"Hello!" Jeanette waved.

"Hi!" Rose waved back.

"Mommy, swings?" Mickey asked.

"Don't you want to see Daddy?" Marcy teased.

"Oh yeah!" Mickey giggled. She held the ends of her dress up. "Like my dress?"

"I'm sure he will. Go ask him."

Mickey ran the rest of the way and crashed into Mal. "Daddy!"

He picked her up and spun her around before holding her close. "My little princess! How'd you sleep?!"

"Good!" She wrapped her arms around his head. "Like my dress?"

He pried her arms from his head and looked at her dress seriously. "I like it. You look so beautiful. What shop did you get this dress from? The royal dress shop?"

She giggled. "No!"

"Pretty girl!" He bragged.

She blushed and ducked her head.

Mally went up to his father and tugged on his pants. "Hi, Daddy."

Mal rubbed his head. "Hey, son."

Marcy walked over and crossed her arms. "Mickey wants to go on the swings."

"I'll take her." He leaned forward to kiss her but she ran her hand down his face. "Okay?"

She shrugged.

He wrapped the arm that had previously been around his son around her waist and brought her in for a kiss. She tried to avoid him but it didn't work.

Maddie giggled. "Maybe your breath stinks, Mal?!"

"It does not!" He blushed slightly.

"Look at her face. I think it does." Mike taunted.

Marcy wiped her face clean. "Don't put me in your mess."

Mercedes sank to her knees beside Mike. "Be a good big brother for once in your life."

He leaned over and kissed her. "I can't. See, Mal? This is how you kiss your girl without her gagging."

"Stop it." She narrowed her eyes.

"She didn't gag, you jerk." Mal did, too.

"Boys." Jeanette refused to smile. "Malcolm, go play with your daughter. Michael, stop teasing your little brother."

Maddie climbed to her feet and went to pick up Mally. "Come on, baby. Let's go play."

He squeezed her neck. "Otay!"

Mal took Mickey to the swings and set her in the baby swing. He pushed her gently.

Marc had spread out the blanket and set the picnic basket on it. "I'm going to help Mad."

"Hello! Hello!"

He sighed. He knew that voice anywhere. "Laura!"

Laura smirked from behind him. "Are you sad to give up a Saturday of debauchery to spend time with your family?"

"I'm not debauched." He turned around.

"So much that I don't know how you don't burst into flames when you go to church."

"Not everyone can fail at being married."

"I didn't fail, I decided to be honest. You wouldn't know anything about that, now would you?"

Puck leaned over to Mike. "Do they always fight like this?"

"Always." Mike uttered.

Judy sat on their blanket. "Stop bickering."

"It's unbecoming." Rose added.

"Just screw and stop buggin us." Marcy dropped her purse on the blanket and walked over to Maddie and Mally.

"I would never!" Laura gasped in moral outrage.

"You used to." Mike couldn't help himself.

Puck clapped both hands over his mouth as Laura turned a look so dark on the dancer, he could only smile sunnily. "Shut! up!"

"You're not going to be good, are you?" Mercedes asked Mike.

"Let's go to the merry-go-round." He suggested instead.

"Anything to keep you good." She stood and pulled him to the playground equipment.

Quinn pulled Puck up. "He's going to get bored soon and cause more trouble."

"Come sit, Marc." Rose patted the spot next to her on the blanket.

"She bugs me, Ma." Marc crashed onto the checkered blanket.

"Mother!" Laura yelled. "He's so annoying!"

"You two shouldn't fight." Michael told them. "Someone's going to think you like each other."

Both scoffed.

Jeanette twisted her lips to keep from smiling. "Oh! I see Marcus!"

Marcus walked over. "Hello all."

They greeted him.

He sat down on his family's blanket. "How long have you been here?"

"Not long." Jeanette said sunnily. "How was work?"

"Work!" He sighed. "And I have to go back by two."

"I have to go in later, too." Michael said. "I had to reschedule some things to be here right now."

"It's a hassle, right?!"

"Completely!"

Marc was bored immediately so he stood up and walked to see how his niece was doing. "Hi, Mickey!"

"Hi, Tio Marc!" She waved.

"Want to go higher? Your daddy can't push for nothing."

She giggled. Mal scowled. "I can so!"

"Move over, pipsqueak." Marc pushed Mal out of the way. "Let me show you how it's done."

Mal fumed. "Don't call me that!"

Marc just pushed Mickey higher.

"I'm telling Laura."

Marc started. "No! I don't wanna hear her mouth!"

"I'm going!" Mal stopped the swing and lifted Mickey out.

Marc watched him walk over to the blankets. "Aww c'mon, you big baby!"

M&MC

"Kids! Come eat!" Judy yelled to the spread out teens (and kids). They walked over in droves and sat on the blankets. The moms started passing out food.

Mal, who was sitting next to Marcy, looked at her. "Can I have some of your juice?"

She looked at him slowly. "What?"

"Come on. Mine's still frozen." He pleaded.

"What's that got to do with me?!"

"C'mon! Let me have some!"

"No!"

He reached for the bottle but she leaned away from him. "Marce!"

"Get away from me!"

He reached again but she twisted away from him. He wrapped his arms around her. "Let me have a little sip!"

"No!" She fought him off.

Puck was perplexed. "So you're just going to ignore her deathgrip on that bottle?"

"Marcy doesn't share apple juice." Quinn bit into a carrot stick.

"Ever." Mike intoned. "All apple juice is hers."

"I once asked her for some and she told me no." Marcus pouted.

Puck was blown away. "No way!"

"She was four."

"Marcy will share most anything with anybody but there's five things she won't ever share and her apple juice is number one." Mercedes explained.

"Dang. I didn't know it was that serious." Puck watched as Mal and Marcy fought.

"I don't know why he's trying. She will never give it up." Marc bit into a pickle.

"Ow!" Mal recoiled. "You bit me!"

"Not hard enough!" Marcy spat.

Michael and Marcus burst out laughing.

"Marcy, don't bite him! Your children are watching!" Jeanette chided.

"Tell him to leave me alone!" Marcy scowled.

"Mal. Just wait until your juice unthaws."

"But I'm thirsty now!" Mal complained. "I'm dyin here!"

"Then ask someone else for their juice!" Marcy snapped bitterly.

"I'm not asking someone else! I'm asking you!"

"And I'm saying no!"

"You're so selfish!"

"Yes! And the sky is blue and water is wet! These are things that are well-known facts!"

Puck fell out laughing.

Mal folded his arms. "Be that way!"

"I will!" Marcy didn't care about him being mad.

"You know I bet the twins have never had apple juice." Marc teased.

Marcy bit into a radish. "Bite me!"

"I'm serious." He turned to Mally. "Have you ever had apple juice?"

The little boy shook his head.

"See? That's a shame."

"Shut up!" She threw her radish at him.

"I'm just dying of thirst here!" Mal complained.

"Here, Mal." Mercedes held out her strawberry juice. "Just have some of mine."

"Thank you, Mercy!"

Marcy mocked him. "Thank you, Mercy!"

"Don't be a sore winner." Judy chided.

"She's just sore." Mal bit off.

"And you're just a loser." Marcy shot back.

Mike and Marc fell out laughing as Quinn, Maddie and Laura giggled.

Puck wisely kept his mouth shut but Mercedes set her hands on her hips. "Marcy, stop it!"

"Of course you're on his side! He's your baby!" Marcy mocked.

"Yes, he is and you're being a pain."

"You're a pain." Marcy pouted.

"Be nice to him. He's the father of your children."

"How is that my fault?!"

Mike, Marc, Quinn and Maddie were laughing up a storm.

"Because you were with him!" Mercedes narrowed her eyes and pursed her lips.

"So I should be punished?!" Marcy snapped.

"Being nice to him is not a punishment!"

"You don't know how it is; you're nice to everyone!"

"Yes, I am and you know why? it's easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar."

"Who just wants flies?!"

"That's not the point!"

"I know the point! I'm not nice. I'm never going to be nice. And you want to know why? It's good to be bad."

"That sounds like a villain speech." Marc said.

"You are nice, Marcy. You're just temperamental." Mercedes found a nice way of saying it.

"Temperamental is a nice way of saying bi-"

"Marcy!" Rose shouted.

"Fine! I'll be nicer to Mal when you start telling people that you don't actually like them." Marcy smirked.

Mercedes narrowed her eyes. "I do actually like people!"

"You don't like everyone. It's impossible to like every single person on this planet. But man, do you fake it! You go out of your way to bend over backwards for undeserving jerkwads that don't even deserve for you to spit on them."

"She has a good point." Marc said as he finished another pickle.

"You are forgiving to a fault." Quinn added.

"You're sweet as sugar." Puck continued.

"You put other peoples' needs ahead of your own." Mike went on quietly.

"And you keep the peace." Maddie finished.

"Those are all good qualities but it makes you seem..." Laura couldn't find the right word.

But Marcy could... "Weak. Foolish. Naïve. And you're none of that. So break character and tell someone to take a flyin leap one time, will ya?"

Mercedes frowned. "Weren't we talking about you being mean to Jr.?"

"But we're talking about your personality and how it could use a little less "everything nice"."

"Momma!"

"You are a very sweet woman." Rose had to admit. "A little sassy but very kind."

Mercedes pouted. "Daddy, make them leave me alone."

Marcus smiled. "Let my Princess be her sweet self. More people in this world need to be kind."

"True. But it's not going to happen so she needs to protect herself." Marcy said.

"I can take care of myself." Mercedes was affronted.

"Physically. You're smart and soulful but you'd rather believe the best of people when the truth is; there is not good in everybody."

"I don't believe that!"

"You don't have to believe the truth. Doesn't stop it from being the truth."

"Why are you so pessimistic?"

"I'm realistic. Take off your rose colored glasses. You'll see better."

"I see fine. You're wrong and I'm going to prove it."

"Don't hurt yourself." Marcy popped a grape into her mouth.

"You'll see. The very next person you meet is going to make you believe in humanity."

M&MC

"What Mack?" Mickey asked.

Mal and Laura clapped a hand over Marcy's and Marc's mouths. "No!"

Mike grinned. "We don't know."

"It's her last name." Mercedes explained. "Like how your last name is Chang?"

"Oh!" Mickey held her hands out. "Play again?"

Mickey was sitting on Mike's lap and learning childhood games from Mercedes. Mercedes clapped her hands together once before touching Mickey's.
"Ms. Mary Mack, Mack, Mack
All dressed in black, black, black
With silver buttons, buttons, buttons
All down her back, back, back
She asked her mother, mother, mother
For fifteen cents, cents, cents
To see the elephants, elephants, elephants
Jump over the fence, fence, fence
She jumped so high, high, high
She touched the sky, sky, sky
And she never came back, back, back
Til the fourth of July, ly, ly"

Mickey giggled. "I like that song!"

"Marcy, are you watching Mally?" Jeanette asked.

"Yeah, he's fine. He has a friend." Marcy was on her phone.

Jeanette looked over to the sandbox, where Mally was indeed playing with another little boy.

"He's fine." Michael checked his watch.

"Do you have to go already?" Maddie pouted.

"Not yet." He patted her head.

She smiled. "Good."

"Who are you texting?" Quinn laid on her side as she talked to Marcy.

"Grandmother. She keeps trying to get me to get a nanny." The dancer chewed on her bottom lip.

"You don't need a nanny." Laura said. "You have us."

"I might need a nanny. I want to get a steady job and they won't let me take the twins with me."

"We'll figure something out." Mercedes was sure.

"And you'll have to have time for yourself." Judy pointed out. "You're young and need to be out in the world."

"She should be home with her children." Michael disagreed.

"She needs a life outside of her children." Jeanette glared. "You men think women should be around the kids all day with no other adult company while holding down a job and being bothered with you."

Michael blinked. "I get it. Your job is hard."

"Very." Rose said primly. "Most men just see their children on the weekends at most. Women see them all day long and crave adult attention to keep from going stir crazy."

"You have your jobs, your clubs and your friends." Judy went on. "And we have to stay home for you to do it? Nope! Not gonna happen!"

"Marcy, take the nanny." Jeanette advised.

"I don't know. I don't want my kids being raised by other people. If they called the nanny "mommy", I think I'd die." Marcy expressed doubt.

"You were raised with nannies. You turned out fine." Rose pointed out.

"No." Marcy said swiftly.

Judy giggled. "Marcy, getting help does not make you weak. And if you want to have a life, you're going to have to let someone help you. You use daycare, don't you?"

"Rarely."

"If you don't want a nanny, use that."

"But they're a bunch of strangers. I worry the whole time they're there."

"Seriously. Trust someone." Laura advised. "You need a life."

"What about your boyfriend?" Quinn shifted her arm under her.

"What about him?" Marcy was lost at this turn.

"How does he take dating a girl who doesn't do anything without her kids?"

"I'm not sure he knows. I do use a babysitter during our dates but they're usually short."

"If you got a nanny, you could hang out with him more and longer."

Marcy considered it as the guys chuckled at Mal's scowl. "You make a compelling case."

"You get to have more fun." Mercedes said. "You're not just a mommy. You're a woman."

"Okay. Okay. I'll think about it."

"Good." Laura said. "In the meantime, I'll watch the kids while we're here. I won't get to see them much so I need to get my time in before they forget me until Christmas."

"Me too!" Maddie didn't want to be left out. "I'll watch them after my lessons."

"You go out and have fun."

Marcy appreciated them but she frowned as something caught her eye. She set her phone down and got up.

"Marce?"

Marcy walked over to the sandbox the children were playing in.

"What is she doing?" Jeanette wondered.

"Looks like she's talking to that other mom." Mike noted.

They couldn't really hear what was going on but they knew the other little boy was crying and the mom was visibly upset. Suddenly, Marcy punched the other woman.

The others recoiled. "Oh!"

Mal stood up quickly as Marcy started kicking the woman. "Hey! What are you doing?!" He ran over quickly and picked her up. "Stop it!"

Marcy struggled against him. "That colorblind strumpet called Mally a bully!"

"And you negate that by hitting her?! Stop!" He set her down and got between the two women. He set his hands on her shoulders and made her look at him. "Stop it!"

Marcy glared at him.

"Your son is watching you." They both looked down to see Mally staring up at her with wide eyes.

"You're right." Marcy pouted.

"Hey!" A big burly man stalked over and helped the woman up. "You hit my wife!"

Mal turned around. "I'm sorry, sir. There was a disagreement-"

"I should kick your ass, kid!"

The woman sobbed on her husband's chest. "Her son pushed Melvin in the sand and was hitting him!"

"Your kid think he can pick on my kid?!" The man barked.

"You named your kid Melvin and wondering why he's getting his ass handed to him?" Marcy crossed her arms.

"Marcy!" Mal hissed. "Not helping! Look sir, I apologize for my son-"

"What?!" Marcy cut him off. "How are you going to apologize for something you didn't do?!"

"We're his parents. We take responsibility for his actions."

"I'm not on the hook for nobody. I refuse to apologize for something I didn't do and didn't even see."

"Oh you're going to apologize, little girl!" The man shouted.

"Kiss my ass, you limp dicked bas-!"

"Marcy!" Mal was shocked at her mouth.

"What is wrong with you?! There are children around!" The wife was shocked. "No wonder you got knocked up early. No doubt you're easy!"

"Easy as you are ugly." Marcy shot back.

The woman growled in anger. "You ignorant child!"

"You tacky, pox ridden spinster."

"We could do without the name calling." Mal said. "We're mature adults, we can act like it."

"Teach your woman some respect, squirt!" The man shoved Mal.

Mal kept his head. "Like I said, we apologize for whatever Mally did to your son-"

"Speak for yourself!" Marcy muttered.

"I've had enough of your mouth, little Missy!" The husband yelled.

Marcy stuck her tongue out. "Like I care. Maybe if you were a better man, your son could fight his own battles on the playground?"

"Don't talk about my husband, hussy!" The woman spat.

"Mealy mouth, worm infested, waspish shrew!" Marcy shot back.

The woman swiped at her but her husband held her back. "You have big talk, little girl!"

"And I can back it up, too tow truck driver!"

"Was that a slam?!"

"Sure was, stupid. I was making fun of your admittedly low IQ."

He growled and reached for her but Mal punched him in the face. "Do not put your hands on my woman!"

The man fell like a ton of bricks as Mal shook out his hand. His wife screamed but Marcy tapped her on the shoulder. When she turned around, Marcy punched her in the face.

Mally raised his hands above his head at the display then turned to his playmate and pushed him in the sand, where he picked up a toy and started hitting him in the head with it.

Mal picked Mally up and threw the toy in the sandbox then took Marcy's hand (as she stuck out her tongue at the abused family) and walked back to their picnic.

Puck had his mouth hanging open wide. "What?!"

"Come on! It's time to go. Before someone calls the police." Rose began packing up. "This is why we're always getting banned from places, Marcy! Your temper!"

"What even happened?!" Marc was confused.

"Less talking, more packing!"

"Rose, calm down." Marcus said. "We could only hear him and a few things that high-strung woman said but I take it things didn't go well?"

"That dude was like three times your size!" Puck sputtered. "He's K.O.'d!"

"Serves him right." Mercedes helped her mother pack up. "I saw him reach for Marcy."

"Men have no business putting their hands on women." Judy sniffed. "What could she have possibly said to make him violate the rules?"

"I called him stupid." Marcy admitted.

"She also might have said he was- he was limp." Mal tried to put delicately.

"He?" Laura tried to understand. "Like his-?"

"His manhood deflated..."

"Oh my!"

Mike and Marc fell out laughing. Puck was lost until Mercedes whispered it in his ear. "Wow, girl! You sure know how to hurt a man!"

"Come on! Let's go!" Rose got up and tried to pull the blanket up from under them.

"Ma! There are no police here!" Marc tried to get his laughter under control.

"But someone must have called! We are not those type of people. We need to go before they show up or those people wake up."

Marcus sighed. "She's right. There are a lot of people here and every one of them are staring. You don't want to go back to jail for assault, do you, Sweetpea?"

"No." Marcy had a serious pout as she played with Mal's fingers.

"Well come on."

The large family quickly exited the fancy park and walked to Travis.

"So what happened?" Marc wanted to know.

"She accused Mally of hurting her son and demanded an apology before calling Mally a bully." Marcy was still upset.

"He wanted an apology, too and I tried to give it but some minx wouldn't let me." Mal squeezed Marcy's fingers.

"He kept calling me little girl and she called me easy!"

"Aren't you?" Marc asked.

Marcy launched herself at him but Mal's hand kept her back. "Shut up!"

"Marcus Donald!" Rose chided.

"You really don't have room to talk." Laura reminded him.

"Sorry, Sis." Marc apologized.

Marcy narrowed her eyes. "Bull!"

"No, I'm really sorry."

"And I'm really calling you a bull."

"What?! Why?!"

"You're smart. You'll figure it out."

Michael waved his hands. "What else happened? After Evie wouldn't apologize?"

"They both were quite rude." Mal admitted. "She called them both names and he broke at stupid."

Marcy gave him her apple juice. "Want some?"

"So you're going to share with me now that I saved you from some loudmouth barbarian?"

"Take it or leave it."

He grinned and let her hand go to take the juice bottle. "Okay."

Marcy took her son from him and put him on her hip. "Are we going home?"

"Might as well." Rose sighed. "Our nice family day is ruined."

"Thanks for the guilt trip." She said flatly.

"You have to address Mally's violent streak. He was hitting that boy pretty hard." Judy pointed out.

"Wasn't she kicking his mom in the head?" Puck wanted to make sure he saw things right.

"So?" Marcy was petulant.

"You cannot kick people in the head. It causes brain damage. Are you trying to go to prison for murder?" Rose admonished.

"Can we just go?"

"I should get to work." Michael sighed.

"Me too. I'll see you later." Marcus said. The two walked off to their cars and left.

"Marcy, you should let Maddie babysit and we can go shopping." Mercedes suggested.

"I don't- no!" Marcy frowned.

"Okay. We'll go to the movies."

"You're trying to trick me!"

Mercedes gasped as the guys started snickering. "No, I am not!"

"Yes, you are! You're going to suggest the movies at the mall and drag me inside!"

"Why are you so smart?!" Quinn set her hands on her hips.

"Girls, don't trick her into shopping." Judy chided.

"Just shoe shopping!" Mercedes begged.

"I hate shoe shopping!" Marcy complained.

"You hate shopping shopping!"

"Come on, we'll go to the book store." Quinn enticed.

"I haven't seen Mr. Herbert in forever." Marcy thought about it. "Fine. But I'm not staying in any one store for more than thirty minutes and I'm not shopping for more than an hour."

"What's with you and these time constrictions?!" Mercedes set her hands on her hips.

"Take it before she changes her mind." Laura advised.

"Fine. You better be glad I want to see Mr. Herbert." Mercedes pouted.

"Baby." Marcy mocked.

Mike turned to Puck. "Want to see what Finn's up to?"

"I'll pick you up and we'll go over there." Puck nodded.

"Want to go play tennis at the club?" Judy suggested to Rose and Jeanette. Both shrugged.

"What am I supposed to do?" Mal complained.

"Don't worry, they left me out, too!" Marc sniped.

"You can entertain yourselves." Laura taunted.

"We don't need them!"

"Just get in the car."

M&MC

Puck banged on the door.

Mike frowned. "Why are you beating on the door like the police?"

Puck frowned, too. "No, I'm not."

"You're seriously heavy-handed."

Puck scowled. "Man, whatever!"

Finn snatched the door open. "Why are you beating on my door?!"

"Told you." Mike said.

Puck gave them both ugly looks. "I am not heavy-handed!"

"There's a dent in the door."

"Shut up! No, it's not! Mama was right; you are a troublemaker!"

Finn snickered. "Mike? No way! You were always getting us in trouble; not the other way around."

"Hey! It wasn't like I got much backtalk from either of you!"

"You're like Marcy. You make it sound good." Mike shrugged.

Puck laughed. "I can't believe she rocked that lady at the park!"

"Who's Marcy?" Finn asked as he held the door open wider for them to come in.

They entered the house as Puck looked at Mike. "Can we tell him? Or does Mama have a rule against that, too?"

"She does." Mike didn't understand it but he wouldn't go against it.

"Well this is a funny story and she'll get over it."

"Don't do it. She will hurt you."

"I'm not scared of her!"

"Yes, you are."

"She just looks at you like she expects better from you!" Puck shuddered.

"Mercedes? Yeah. She looks at you like you're the best person she knows and it just doesn't seem right to disappoint her." Finn said.

"So why go against that and tell a secret?" Mike asked.

"I can keep a secret!" Finn hurried to say. "I'm already keeping the secret about you guys dating. I can keep another one!"

"See?! He can be trusted and I'm sure he'll eventually find out when you two get married." Puck cajoled.

"You think we'll get married?" Mike grinned.

"No doubt. And I'm going to be your best man."

"I do have brothers, ya know."

"But I'm your best bud."

Finn cleared his throat. "Artie and I have a hat in that ring."

"Yeah but Wheels' been trippin and I am dating Q."

"What does Quinn have to do with anything and I dated her first."

"C'mon! Let's just tell him!" Puck pleaded.

"Is Sam here? We should do this in your room." Mike sighed.

"Fine." Finn led them to his room and shut the door behind him. "So tell me already!"

"I want to go on record that I said nothing and I tried to stop you."

Puck rolled his eyes. "Mike and Mama don't want anybody to know that they grew up together. Like sibling grew up. With Q!"

"What?!" Finn was confused.

"Yeah. I don't know the full story but they've known each other since they were like babies! Their families are all mixed together. Mama's brother used to go with Q's sister and Mike's brother knocked up Mama's sister-"

"What?!" Now Finn was shocked.

"Yeah!"

"I thought Quinn's sister was married?!"

"She was." Mike said reluctantly. "She just told us she's divorced."

"Ouch."

"Yeah and Marc has been mean to her ever since. This morning he told her she failed at being married." Puck told.

"That's really mean."

"He's just sore she got married in the first place." Mike explained.

"What happened there?" Puck wanted to know. "All I know is they dated or whatever and that they fight all the time."

Mike made a face. "They used to fight a lot growing up but when puberty hit Marc, he changed. He saw her as a girl he wanted and he made sure to get her. They had this thing that was classic "will they? won't they?" until he was fifteen. I'm not sure of the specifics but all I know is they hooked up. They weren't official or anything and he totally dated (screwed) other girls but they were happy, I guess.

She was the one who wouldn't make them official though and then she graduated McKinley. She went off to college and something happened. Nobody told me what it was but they must have had a falling out. She met Robert and she got engaged. She got married right after her first year and at the wedding, Marc sat in the front row with this mean face. They've been scrapping ever since."

"Like Kurt would say; juicy dirt." Finn sat back.

"But we all know they still like each other. Case in point; a couple Halloweens ago, they hooked up."

"While she was married?!"

"Yup. They got meaner after that. I think it's because neither saw anything like that happening."

"And her husband never knew?" Puck asked.

Mike shrugged. "I don't know."

"So she's divorced now. They can just hook back up?" Finn lifted his shoulders. "They don't have kids, do they?"

Mike shook his head. "No way. She never would have gotten divorced before they all turned eighteen if they did. This way, all that's suffering is the fact that they wasted five years."

"Won't your family miss him?"

"Not even a little bit. No one liked Robert."

"No one?!" Puck was gobsmacked. "There's a ton of people in your family and not one liked him?!"

"They all were polite and stuff but nope. No one. There wasn't anything wrong with him but we always thought Laura would end up with Marc and he was messing that up. Just like Ellen."

"Ellen? Who's Ellen?"

"Mal's girlfriend."

"Your brother?" Finn asked. "The one who supposedly got Mercedes' sister pregnant? I didn't even know Mercedes had a sister. Or brother."

"Mal met Ellen his sophomore year. They just broke up this year. Before Valentine's Day."

"So Ellen was the girlfriend Mal was talking about when he drunk put-his-foot-in-his-mouth?" Puck realized.

"Yep. She was a nice girl but my parents and Maddie didn't like her. She never met anyone else and Mal told me he never explained about our family."

"MadDog didn't like her?! She seems to like everyone! She took to my people easy!"

"She takes after Mercy, who takes after Laura. Literally. Mercy is a mini Laura and Maddie copies every single thing Mercy does. So that's why it seems like Maddie likes everyone. She sees that Mercy is extra nice to everybody and emulates that."

"So why didn't Maddie like Ellen?" Finn asked.

"Because like Marc and Laura are soulmates, so are Mal and Marcy. When Mal first brought Ellen around, he introduced her to us and Maddie told her to her face she didn't like her. Sometimes she emulates Marcy..."

Puck fell out laughing. "She told that girl to her face she didn't like her?"

"Immediately. And my dad likes Marcy more than he does Mal so you know he roots for her better than anyone. He was his naturally cold self to her and even my mom couldn't find her diplomacy."

"Damn! Your whole family gave her the cold shoulder!"

"I tried to be nice but it wasn't enough. Mal never brought her over again."

"I wouldn't either!" Finn was in shock. "If they were so meant to be, why wasn't your brother with Mercedes' sister? And how did he get her pregnant if he had a girlfriend?"

"He cheated." Mike looked at him like he was stupid.

"Yeah. I caught that after I said it."

Puck laughed. "The kids are two."

"Kids?!"

"They're not two. They're a year and a half." Mike corrected.

"Kids?!" Finn waved his hands.

"They're twins. Multiples run in our family."

"They should. It's big enough. I remember those triplets from last week!" Puck snapped.

"They're bad." Mike acknowledged with a grin.

"So back to my question. Why weren't they together?" Finn asked.

"Marcy and Mal are different than Marc and Laura in that we always knew they'd be together. Laura and Marc was something we saw when we got older but those two were always attached to the hip."

"So why weren't they together?"

"Marcy wasn't always home. It's hard to have a relationship with someone who's halfway around the globe."

"Why wasn't she at home? Isn't her sister younger than her?"

"Yeah. That's a family problem but just know that Marcy was gone more often than not. Whenever she was kicked out of a school, she'd come home and Mal would be sitting there with bells and whistles. But she'd go to a new school within the week and he'd be upset again until she got kicked out of it.

We only really got to see her a lot during the summer and Christmas."

"Why did he cheat on his girlfriend again?"

"He really liked Ellen. He might have even loved her. But Marcy is different. No matter where he was or what he was doing, once he got word that Marcy was home, he'd run to wherever she was. It's always been like that.

She's the exception to every rule. Mal's not a cheater. It's not even something we've been taught but like I said, Marcy's the exception. He wanted his cake and to eat it, too. And he did. He cheated on Ellen with Marcy every chance he got."

"Ouch! Did Marcy know about Ellen?"

"Apparently not until the twins were born."

"Was Marcy okay with being the other woman?"

"Marcy wouldn't have cared. She's not really faithful as evidenced by her sleeping with Mal while she has a boyfriend. She might not say it (ever!) but she loves him just as much as he loves her."

"Why aren't they together then? He doesn't have his girlfriend anymore and they have kids."

"I don't know why Marcy didn't break up with her boyfriend but it's not my problem. My girlfriend claims me."

"Wow." Finn breathed deeply. "It's a soap opera!"

"What do you know about a soap opera?!" Puck demanded.

"Shut up! My mom watches them."

Puck rolled his eyes. "So you're all caught up now?"

Finn thought about it. "How many people do you have in your family?"

"About five thousand." Mike replied.

"Damn!" Finn and Puck yelped.

"It's a lot of us. And that's just Allens, Joneses, Changs, Fabrays, Taylors, Seons and Barneses."

"Barneses?" Puck raised an eyebrow. "That's the wine people, right?"

"Wine people?"

"Mama told me you have a winery in your family."

"Oh yeah. Barnes Best."

"Barnes Best?!" Finn had to make sure. "That's expensive wine! My mom could only afford it on her birthday when we were poor!"

"Yeah, my great grandfather started it. They always had a vineyard in their family but he came up with a new recipe that we use to this day."

"Have you ever seen it?"

"Yeah. We worked on it for a summer when we were little. We also worked on the Allen farm."

"Allen farm? Mama didn't tell me about that part." Puck wanted to know.

"Do I have to give a history lesson for our whole family?" Mike didn't feel like talking that long.

"Yes!" Both Finn and Puck shouted.

Mike sucked his teeth. "We'll start with my bio family. My dad's family is a family of doctors and professionals. Everyone has a degree. Most strive for more than one. His father came from some pretty smart people. His mom's people were, too but she went a different route. She was a model."

"Model? That's kinda cool." Finn pursed his lips in approval.

"Was she hot?" Puck asked in all seriousness.

"Ugh!" Mike and Finn looked at him in disgust.

"What?!"

"No, she wasn't hot!" Mike felt sick to his stomach.

"Come on. Let me see a picture."

"Look her up!"

"Okay." Puck took out his phone.

"Don't look her up!"

"I don't even have her name." He shrugged.

Mike huffed. "It's Gertie Chang. She started modeling when she was a kid. She was always pretty so it just made sense. She was already betrothed to my Pappa so she used his name when she started. She still models a bit."

"How do you spell that?" Puck asked.

"You're really doing this?"

"I just want to see how famous she was." Puck lied with a straight face.

And Mike knew it. "G-E-R-T-I-E. C-H-A-N-G."

Puck typed it in. "Okay, so you talked about your dad's people. What about your mom's?"

"Her mother is an art dealer. Her family has professional jobs but they're all a little whimsical like that. They're talent scouts and managers and stuff like that."

"What? no talent?"

Mike gave him a tired look. "Do you want to hear this or not?"

"My bad." He grinned.

"Anyway, Quinn's parents-"

"Quinn?" Finn interrupted. "What about your mom's dad and his family?"

"Forget that! Look at his grandma when she was young!" Puck shoved his phone in Finn's face.

Finn's eyes widened. "That's your grandma?!"

"No. That's my Mamma. My Grandma is someone completely different." Mike didn't like this at all.

"Your Mamma was smokin hot! Did I meet her?!" Puck demanded of Mike.

"No. She and Pappa came Tuesday and left Wednesday."

"Why didn't I come over?!" Puck felt like slapping himself.

"Can you stop ogling my Mamma now?!"

"Why did you say she was a model?" Finn took the phone from Puck. "It says she was a pinup model."

"A model's a model."

"That's like saying a Victoria's Secret model is just a model."

"She didn't start out a pinup!"

"But it's what she did until her late forties." Finn read.

"Can we move on?! I'd rather tell you about my Grandfather and that could get me killed!"

"Ooh! Dirt!" Puck sat up straight.

"You sound like Kurt." Finn gave an amused grin.

"He was the one who never smiled, right? The one who gave Mini Mama and K-Easy cigars?" He ignored him.

"Who the hell are you talking about?! You give people the weirdest names!"

"He's talking about Marcy and our cousin, Karou." Mike explained.

"Mini Mama is like a mini Mama. She looks just like her but she acts nothing like her. She's hella funny and crazy fun. And she can outdrink any man I've ever met. K-Easy is like her twin. They're dirty, sarcastic and do the same things. But where Mini Mama is scary intense, K-Easy is relaxed and laid-back." Puck went in detail as to his thought process.

"Yes. Grandfather was the one to give them cigars."

"Aren't they... seventeen?" Finn mentally counted. "Or younger?"

"No, they're seventeen. For a couple more weeks at least."

"Why'd he give them cigars?"

"He gives all the boys cigars." He held up a hand. "And before you say it, I know Marcy and Karou are girls but Grandfather (and most of the family) treat them like boys. They act like it enough. Plus they're both bi."

Finn's mouth hung open. "Well!"

"Mama said your grandfather never smiled. But at your sister once." Puck told Mike.

"Was that when she dropkicked that boy when we were like five?" Mike asked.

"Yeah. She said some boy liked her and she didn't give a crap."

"She didn't. Marcy isn't big on affection. She considers it weakness and he messed up by letting her know how he felt about her."

"Cold." Finn frowned.

"Oh he was a little twerp."

"Better." Finn chuckled. "So about your grandfather... what does he do?"

"He's a stockbroker."

"What's so bad about that?" Puck demanded, upset at not getting anything meaty.

"Nothing."

"He's the one who founded Lima, isn't he?"

"He didn't found Lima. He just turned it into a city."

"Po Seon is your grandfather?!" Finn gaped.

"Yes."

"He's in the history books!"

"He is."

"Why did you make it seem like you have a big secret about your grandfather when all he is, is a stockbroker? Whatever that is." Puck chided.

"A stockbroker manages money in stocks." Mike frowned.

"You still tricked us!"

"I didn't trick you. I'm just not telling you everything."

"Why not? Don't you trust us?" Finn asked.

"Usually. But you're never going to meet him and Puck most likely will never see him again." Mike rationalized.

"Right." Puck wanted to know.

"He's a mobster. It's why he came to America. He needed to lie low for a while and he built Lima up in the meantime. Once everything died down, he went back home."

Both Finn and Puck had their jaws hanging.

"You can't tell anybody. Most of his family is in the life. It's why they're professionals. As a cover."

"Mobster. Mobster mobster?" Finn whispered.

"Yes."

"Like gunning people down and kissing the ring?" Puck wanted to know.

"Would you stop? He doesn't kiss peoples' rings."

"Is he important?"

"Yeah. He's high up."

"Damn!" Puck whispered. "No wonder he's mean! Who knows about that?!"

"The older kids. The adults." Mike shrugged. "It's not a secret to us but it's not something you brag about unless your life is on the line."

"I think I'm ready to hear about Quinn now." Finn mumbled.

"Short version? She's English and Swedish. Her mom is Swedish and PR is English."

"PR?"

"Her dad." Puck explained. "Mama told me you called him PR."

Mike nodded. "Yup. PR's people are in the aristocracy. All second and third sons are usually professionals so that's why he was a doctor. He came from a family of doctors."

"Aristocracy?" Finn was lost. He looked to Puck, who was just as bewildered.

"Royalty, dude."

"Wait! Quinn's a princess?! Is that why she's so stuck up?!" Puck yelled.

"You're calling your girlfriend stuck up?"

"Don't tell her I said it."

"We'll see."

Puck had to take it. "So she's royal...?"

"Technically but of course she's not a princess. I'm not even sure if she has a title, it's so remote."

"That's still really cool." Finn said.

Mike shrugged. "Anyway, that was his father's people. His mother came from America and could trace her ancestors all the way back to the Mayflower. They made their money doing all kinds of things but G-Ma was a model, too."

"What's her name?" Puck plucked his phone from Finn's listless fingers.

"Caroline Braxton."

Puck looked it up. "Damn!"

"What?!" Finn jumped.

"She's hot!" Puck showed him the phone.

Finn took it. "Wow. Are all the women in your family attractive?"

"None of them are!" Mike sniped.

"That's just cuz you're family." Puck waved a hand.

"Whatever. Ms. Judy is from Sweden, where Laura was born."

"Quinn's sister?" Finn wanted to make sure.

"Yes. Her dad's family are Olympic winners. Everyone's into sports and competitions and are intense."

"Mama said that's why she came to America. To get away from all that stuff." Puck said.

"It's true." Mike shrugged. "Her mom's family has a farm and their family was one of the first to sell recipes and mass produce food."

"Wow." Finn inclined his head.

"Mercy is more mixed than the rest of us. Her dad's dad has a farm in their family but they all went to school for stuff, too. Usually stuff to run the farm better but still."

"I thought your Poppy was a Nazi?" Puck said.

"She told you that? Yeah, he was but his father wanted more than to be a farmer so he came to America, where they changed his name to Jones and he became a farmer."

"He left where to become what he already was?" Finn was confused by that logic.

"Farming was the only thing he knew. He was an eighteen year old kid. He bought a patch of land and farmed it. He struck oil and left it in capable hands. He came home a success. He got married and was having his first child when he was drafted."

"Drafted?"

"Into World War I."

"Heavy!"

"He fought, came home, raised his kids, managed his ranch, died farming." Mike gave the bare rundown. "Poppy fought in World War II."

"Yeah, yeah. I know. He was a "young impressionable kid"." Puck used his fingers to quote Mercedes.

"He was. You've done stupid things as a young person."

"We've different ideas on what's stupid."

"I think it's all stupid. But anyway, Grandma is Native American. Her family is well educated, too and she went to Germany to study. She sold homemade crafts out of her dorm in the sixties. They met, fell in love and the rest is history."

"So Mercedes' dad is German?" Finn tried to follow along.

"Half, yes."

"Can she speak German?"

"No."

"I wouldn't either!" Puck snapped.

Mike rolled his eyes. "Her mom's mom is an Italian singer."

"Give up the name."

Mike blinked hard, trying to avoid rolling his eyes again. "Christina Barnes."

"So she's the wine people?" Finn caught on.

"Yeah, her family's always been rich so most of her family is artistic. They're all artists and musicians and stuff like that."

"That's cool."

"She was an opera singer as a child. When she turned eighteen, she wanted to do something different so she formed a band with some of her brothers and came to America. She met Granddad in New York while on tour; they married and came back to Italy. She had our Aunt Marigold as her first non-opera album released. She's been making music ever since."

"What about your grandfather? Her husband? What does he do?"

"He's like Grandfather. It's the only thing we know about his life before Grandmom. He literally tells us nothing. We don't even know if he's actually black. We assume."

"Wait! You don't know what he is?!"

"Nope. We don't know where he was born, we don't know his family, we don't know anything. He won't answer anything."

"And he's mean like Po Seon?"

"No. Granddad is a total jokester. He's a mobster. The only thing we know is that his father ran with Al Capone."

"That is the single coolest thing I've ever heard." Puck breathed before looking at his phone. "All of your grandmothers are hot!"

"Stop it!"

Puck grinned. "Tell Finn how you're not American."

"He's Japanese. I know that." Finn said.

"No, I mean he's really not American. None of them were born here."

"What?! Explain!"

So Mike did. "That's why when that Biff guy was here, I didn't understand how or why Quinn met him at a table for Republicans."

"So you guys can't vote or anything?"

"Nope."

"What else is different about you guys? You're foreign, together and-! Wait! You're dating your sister!"

Mike didn't think he'd ever get that. "In a way."

Puck snickered. "They drink at different ages." He continued on about their rules.

"We also have lessons. We can play musical instruments, play several sports, speak several languages and know several forms of self-defense. Homework always came first and we all know how to cook and clean, mend and sew, flirt and do the things our dads showed us."

"What things?" Finn's head was spinning.

"My dad taught us how to build things and use tools. Pop taught us how to fix on cars. Rhonda isn't a car I bought, I built her. And PR taught us about computers."

"Your dads showed everyone in the family or just you guys?" Puck asked.

"Just us. But everyone in the family is multi-talented. It's like a rule." Mike tapped his bottom lip. "Oh yeah. We all write letters."

"Write letters?" Finn was lost.

"You know? Old school letters. It's an European thing. We have our own stationary and everything. And G-Ma has made every girl in the family keep a diary since they were two. She says it's a lady thing. They have specialty made diaries with locks, pages and pens. A few guys even have journals. I have one. I almost never used it. When the girls fill up one diary, they order another one. G-Ma says they have to write every single day."

"I could never do that." Finn's eyes were big.

"They do it. That's why they have so much trouble with Mal. He always steals their diaries."

Puck and Finn fell out laughing. "Not true!"

"So true! He's always had this weird fascination with their diaries. He used to just steal them; now he takes them and reads them before putting them back in the same exact spot so they don't know it's been read and wait months to drop information in random conversation."

"Damn!" Puck tried to hold in his chuckles.

"Has he ever told you what was in their diaries?" Finn bit his bottom lip.

"Sometimes but he's not that much of a jerk to tell a secret to anyone other than Marcy." Mike said. "Why? Got some things about Quinn you think she wrote down?"

Not her... Finn blinked. "No."

"I've got to see her diary!" Puck was nosy.

"She's not going to let you read it." Mike told him. "It's private. And she might be like Marcy, who writes hers in Greek."

"Not fun."

"You've been here for like an hour and still haven't told me the funny story of why you're here." Finn pointed out.

Mike and Puck looked at each other before grinning. "We went on a picnic at the park."

Finn raised an eyebrow. "That's funny?"

"Should we tell him about the apple juice fight first-?" Puck asked.

Mike snickered. "If you want."

"So Mal wanted some of Mini Mama's apple juice. It got intense! She wouldn't give it up and he wouldn't stop asking for it."

"Why? It's just apple juice." Finn didn't see the big deal.

"Marcy doesn't share apple juice. With anyone. Ever." Mike explained.

"Why not? It's just apple juice." Finn repeated.

"She just likes it."

"Apple juice?"

"Apple juice. There's five things she won't ever share and apple juice is the first."

"I don't get it." Finn freely admitted.

"Well it was the second funniest fight of the day." Puck said. "He stopped talking to her and everything."

"Over apple juice?!"

"Over apple juice." Mike helped.

"They were so mad; I'm surprised he came to her rescue." Puck was surprised.

"Mal will always be there for her and she'll always be there for him." Mike was used to their volatile relationship.

"Her rescue? What happened?" Finn asked.

"We're all talking and suddenly she gets up and goes to the sandbox, where her son is. There's this mom there, trippin about who knows what and we can't hear them. Out of nowhere, Mini Mama socks the fuck out this lady!" Puck yelled quietly.

Finn's jaw dropped. "Why?!"

"Apparently she called Mally a bully." Mike said. "She says Mally assaulted her son and she wanted an apology."

"His name is Mally?"

"Malcolm Jr." Mike nodded.

"That's cool." Finn realized he said cool a dozen times that day and resolved to find a better compliment.

"Anyway!" Puck rolled his eyes. "Mini Mama starts kickin the lady in the head!"

"What?!" Finn interrupted.

"Marcy has anger issues." Mike said flatly.

"Kicking the woman in the head for calling her son a bully seems like something a bully would do."

"You could probably use that word to describe Marcy... but she'd probably kick you in the chest for calling her one. She kinda hates bullies."

"But she kicked a woman in the head?"

"Anger issues. Like you kicking chairs every time you hear upsetting news." Mike raised an eyebrow.

"Point taken." Finn closed his mouth. "Go on."

"So Mal gets up and goes over there and stops her from becoming a murderer! when the woman's husband flies over!" Puck waved his arms.

Finn grimaced. "How big was he?"

"Huge! Huge guy!" Puck stood up and tried to measure how big the guy looked to him. "All we hear is "You hit my wife!" and Mal telling the guy something. The girls are goin back and forth and the guy pushes Mal but Mal kept talking. Out of absolutely nowhere, Mal decks the guy! He goes down like a ton of bricks! Mini Mama punches the chick in the face and Little Dude pushes their kid in the sand and starts wailing on him with a toy!"

Finn couldn't even formulate a response. His mouth just formed an "O".

"Mal picks up Little Dude and takes Mini Mama by the hand and comes back to us like they didn't just kick a family's ass!" Puck finished. "And Mini Mama even stuck her tongue out at them."

"Oh. My. Damn." Finn breathed, picking up his friend's phrase.

"We had to leave the park right then."

"I wonder if anyone did call the police?" Mike chewed on his bottom lip.

"I bet someone did." Puck said.

"I'm glad we left when we did then."

"The worst part of all this is that they weren't even shocked by this! They were all calm like this was normal!"

"It is." Mike looked at him like he was stupid. "I keep saying she has anger issues."

"They just beat up a family and left?!" Finn finally said.

"I see you're in shock." Mike grinned.

"I can't believe your brother hit someone!"

"Mal has his own anger issues and they mostly center on Marcy."

"And their son hit a little boy?! How crazy are they?!"

"They're not crazy."

"You're right. They're bad. Badder than Puck even."

"Hey!" Puck snapped.

"Marcy's way badder than Puck. She's a fighter with a sailor mouth and a cruel streak." Mike shook his head.

"She sounds kinda scary." Finn admitted.

"She is. She's mean to people she does like and you don't even want to know how it is to people she doesn't. Trust me."

"You mean Moms Jones?" Puck asked. "How is that goin? I haven't seen the two of them together."

"I don't know. I haven't seen them together either. I went home this morning and Marcy was playing cards with Joey."

"She doesn't have a good relationship with her mom?" Finn asked.

"Let's just say no."

"It's normal for girls to have mom issues, right?"

"I don't know. My mom and sister have a great relationship."

"Think about all the girls you know-"

"That's a lot."

Puck laughed. "You don't even get how that sounds! You sound like a player!"

Mike ducked his head. "I was never a monk."

"My man!" Puck raised his hand.

Mike put it down. "No. I'm nothing like you. I respect women."

"I do, too!"

"Now."

Finn laughed. "He's got you there. Hey? You guys hungry?"

"We just ate." Mike blinked.

"Which means yes!" Puck stood up. "Whatcha got?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 214 70
Last year was really tough but it has nothing on this year. Can Mercedes Jones keep her family from imploding when dark secrets come to the light and...
1K 93 41
Puck finding his way and enjoying his life in L.A. after graduating from McKinley - along with unexpected roommates, romances, and revelations. Finn...
26.5K 1.1K 200
Continuing on from my first glee oneshot book because it's full. Each chapter will be a different oneshot. The previous and next chapters are totally...
7.4K 592 200
Continuing on from my first three glee oneshot books because they're full. Each chapter will be a different oneshot. The previous and next chapters a...