The Gifted Hybrid

By gifted_nerd

BOOK 1 in The Hybrid Series After the tragic lost of her mom, 17 year-old Zoe Hyland has to deal with being a... More

Just A Hunch
A Long Bus Route
Camp Spirit
Protection
Powerless
I'm Sorry
First Gift
Your Special
Fast Learner
No Way In
First Attempt
Second Gift
Flashback
Full Moon
Just Try
Its You
Thank You
Book 66
A Sign
Darkness
Our Secret
The Dream
Believe Me
Bad Manners
Questions
See The Truth
You'll See
Relation
An Idea
Good Poison
Practice Makes Perfect
A Favor
Instinct vs Reflex
Just Talk
Triggered
Settled In
A Leader
Metal Eyes
Feelings
Nervous Is Good
Powerful
Marked
Real Deal
A Choice
Author's Note
Next Book Reveal
ITS TIME!!!
Checking in...
THANK YOU!

Visions Told Truth

850 34 4
By gifted_nerd

There is nothing I can see as far as my eyes go.

Why am I stuck here again? Where am I?
I have no idea.

I don't want to see Mom again, I can't it would be too much to bear now. Just the memory of it causes my head to ring only it doesn't feel like a dream or a memory. It was never that, it was real and it happened.

Just like the things I've been seeing in my head, like visions that keep coming to me. Like something trying to warn me. Mom was the one, she was the one trying to warn me.

"Zoe?"

She called to me, I heard her but I couldn't see her and I couldn't feel the emotion in my soul. All I could feel was the vibration of her voice, the way she called my name and the warning feel of it.

The darkness around me was safe yet it still brought on something so powerful and heartfelt, the vision. My friends, each one of them fighting against these dark people, these creatures who have powers beyond our measures. And Dad, he was hurt. He had gotten hurt and it was all my fault. They all were killed and it was all my fault.

"Zoe!"

I opened my eyes and turned to the voice, seeing and feeling nothing but cold air around my body and the dark that surrounds my form. I trying walking but I can't, there's a transparent wall that blocks me in from the outside world. At least that's what it felt like and everytime Mom would call she would sound closer.

"Zoe..." she's coming.

"Mom?" I called to her, my voice echoing through the empty frosty air.

She didn't answer, my breathing was steady and I hadn't felt a thing until my head began to ring again. The sound in my ear, high and out of focus. Its happening again, I flinch from the pain but it isn't unbearable.

"Hey Zo" an unnatural, evil felt laugh echoes after the mention of my name and my heart begins to speed. I squeeze my eyes together, first instinct and don't open them hoping to drown out the sounds of multiple voices that began to call me.

"Zoe"

It's not her Zoe, don't listen.

"Zoee...."  theres another. Then another and maybe ten other voices and I don't listen, the voices being drowned out by the shield in my mind. Until the right one. Until Mom.

"Zoe!"

My eyes shot open. That's her, I turn around wishing to see her face just for a minute. A minute is all I need. And then I see her. I draw in a sharp breath.

She stands there, her face filled with warning and fear and something else I can't put my finger on. Her hand comes out in front of us both and just by closing it, she quiets the voices around us.

She looks alive, her crystal blue eyes stand out against her long curled cherry red hair.

"Mom?" I say and her eyes meet mine.

"They're coming!"

I shoot up off the softness I lay on, my eyes open wide and full of danger. My breathing is quick and I look at my arms and feel my face. The sweat makes my skin glisten.

I swallow before, "they're coming" falls from my lips.

"Zoe?" Susan says, I look to my left at her. She sits on a small cushioned chair in front of the couch I lay on. Right, we are in her living room but I can't put my finger on what happened and how I ended up here.

"Its okay Zo" someone else comes over, or maybe more than one person. Mia and Xander, than Jake comes striding over quickly with Marg and John on his heels.

"What happened?" I asked before using my arms to sit my body up straight. I put a hand to my forehead, the head aching begins to subside just a little.

"You fainted, when you and Jake came in through the door you didn't move and then you just fell to the floor"

"Mom" I say, "I saw Mom, no no I heard her she was-"

"Zoe what are you talking about? Your Mom's not here, you know that" Susan moves the chair closer and Stacey flops on the empty space to my right.

I shake my head, "yes of course but I heard her...her voice warning me and-"

I stopped talking and looked around at all my friends faces, how worried they looked and how tired and confused their energy had been just by looking at the auras that surround them. I swallowed thinking maybe it was time, time to put all the pieces together and tell them all the truth that I know.

"Is that what you meant by they're coming?" Marg stepped toward me, her arms folded and eyebrows together.

I nodded, "I need to tell you guys something" I tried meeting everyone's eyes.

I used my arms and stood up slowly, worried about the pain I would feel and the weakness going through my body. Jake stepped forward the same time Xander did and to my surprise, so did Dylan. I held out my hands to them signaling I was okay and they nodded.

"You all need to know these things so I think it's best if we move to the dining table and I explain everything I know and I think I know, maybe you guys have answers"

Everyone took note, sitting one by one around the table in each chair leaving only one empty wooden chair left. I was scared and anxious, they needed to know what's been going on with me. Everything I knew and they deserved to know now.

"Zo, you shouldn't hold so much information in your brain. I think you should've told us already" Stacey looks to me and then her Mom. I nod.

"I agree with you, trust me it's not always easy telling you guys things you probably won't understand" I say.

"But you don't know that" John leans his hard arms on the table.

"I know, just please hear me out for a second"

And that's when I start talking about all the things I've known, all the knowledge I've grown to know and learn on my own. All the things that this special power has brung.

"It started with a book" I looked up at them. All their eyes were stuck on me.

"It wasn't just any book, everytime I'd touch it or open it and read what was inside weird things would happen" I started.

"And what book was it? It was from the library at the camp, yes?" Susan asked and I nodded.

"There was no title, all I know is that it had the same familiar design on it in each corner"

I looked around the table for something, my eyes scanned the empty area for something to write with. Why didn't I already have the design written down?

"Do you have the book with you now?" I look up at Margaret. I can't tell them I do, it won't work. If I show them, they will think I'm crazy and say I'm making things up about it. It'll end up being the only object I have that's changed me in many ways and I can't risk losing that, not now.

I shake my head, the lie falling from my lips "no, I don't"

"And when you say weird things, you mean what exactly?"

"I mean, time changes and things that appear that aren't really there" I tell them.

Someone fidgets in there chair, the only sound in the room. Out of the corner of my eyes I see Margaret sneak a glance John's way and Stace does the same to Susan.

"I know this sounds false but I'd never make this up. Why do you guys think I came back to late during the full moon here? There was a time change"

"But how is that even possible?" Ava asks and I shrug my shoulders.

"Continue" Susan nods her head to me. Her face filled with concern and I suddenly see the same face Mom would make until it flashes away.

"Then there was this dream. Of Mom" I looked to Susan and she swallowed. Her head fell and her face grew pale-ish.

"I saw her death and it was terrible, it's almost like I can see it play out in my head right now. And right before she was stabbed she looked right at me and said she was sorry"

"Wait you were there?" Madison sat up in her seat.

I nodded, "yes, and she saw me. Do you still hear things from her Maddy? Cause I do. I hear her voice so many times and it replays in my head as if she's right here"

"Well maybe she is, hell we don't know how the spirit realm works. Have you tried talking to her?"

"Yes, of course. It's like I can hear her but she can't hear me"

"A one way tunnel" Madison speaks up again, "I've heard about those and to answer your question, no I have not heard or seen her or anything from her in a while. I kinda like when she's around, her aura is so bright" she gives a small smile and I want to reach out and hug her and kiss her cheek but I don't.

"Your freaking us out Mads" Chelsea cuts through my thoughts.

She shakes her head, "sorry"

"Anything else Zo?" Margaret leans her arms on the table and I see John look down at her hands, his own fidget like he wants to reach out and grab hers. He doesn't.

"Yes, there was another book contact I had with the same book. It showed me a poem and-" I stopped, thinking about the girl that stood in front of me that day.

"And?" Xander said before anyone else.

"And a girl. She had red hair, she wore a white gown with white shoes and her eyes were purple like mine until they turned black and then she turned into me. I saw a mirror image of myself and she showed me the poem again" I stopped for a minute, taking a breath.

"So a girl appeared out of nowhere and she turned into you and showed you a poem?" Susan repeated.

I nod, "that's completely absurd, how could she have purple eyes when your the only person I've seen with them? I mean...your the only hybrid right?" Chelsea says and the corner of my mouth lifts, she didn't hear anything but the purple eyes part.

"In this lifetime yes, she is the only hybrid but not years ago. There used to be many, more then many" Susan's voice echos across the table.

I look to the very end of the table. Everyone is still focused on me but not everyone has spoken aloud.

"So what about the poem Zoe? What did it say?" Grace asked, her green eyes piercing across the table into mine.

I nod and everyone looks to me as I recite the words I remember from the book with my eyes closed. When I finish, I open them.

"That wasn't the only poem, there was another when we left the camp completely"

"Sounds like a you poem Zoe, pain and sorrow awakened her spark? Midnight was in her blood and she was the only one?" Chelsea folded her arms, lifting one of her eyebrows.

"I know, but the book part throws everything off" I think to myself for a minute. Would the book disappearing really tell me when my time was done? What does it mean, will my powers go away?

Susan moves to the kitchen and opens the fridge, she pulls out a pitcher of something and looks in the cabinet for some cups before she rushes back over not wanting to miss anything. I smile to myself, she really does remind me of Mom.

"Yes, something to mix my blood with" Christian says and Dylan smiles before doing the same, they pull out a bag of red liquid and pour it into there cup of lemonade.

"Ew" Emily gags and Mia laughs at her.

"Can I have some?" Grace asks her cousin. He rolls his eyes and pours some into her glass. Her face brightens after taking a sip and Will says something to her. She slides the glass over to him and he puts his nose to it, smelling before he backs over and shakes his head.

"How does it taste?" I ask them from the other end of the table.

"Want to try some?" Christian offers.

I chuckle, "no, thanks. I've tried some before, its okay"

He shrugs.

"Zoe" Susan calls and I meet her blue snow eyes, "you wanna finish what you were saying?"

"Sure" I shift in my seat and face her.

"You guys remember when the lights went out in the building?" I chide a random thought, focusing on my nails.

"That was you?" Margaret blurted

I nod, "I knew it!"

Everyone looks at Stacey. The only sound my laugh before she shakes her head and sits in her seat, hiding her face. Alex joins in on the laugh.

"Yeah I did that. Only it wasn't really me"

"What do you mean?" John mumbled.

"Well see theres this name that I can't get out of my head and I have no idea how to go about it. And theres these metal eyes and a dark souless creature that haunts me even though it doesn't scare me. It's like a nightmare that I can't wake from, and I don't want too" I explain to them.

"What's the name?" Mia's face wondered.

"Hades"

Susan and I say at the same time. I look at her and she forces a smile before her head falls. My heart race picks up a bit.

"Who is Hades?" Xander calls out.

"I have no idea only I feel like I do. Every since I saw it, I kept thinking of it"

"Awakening the goddess within" Everyone looks at Susan when she retorts the line from the first poem I told them about.

"What?" I ask.

"Awakening the goddess within Zoe, you- you've seen Hades?" She steps closer to me and takes the empty seat to my right.

"What?"  I ask again, not quite getting what she's putting down.

"Zoe, the poem said Awakening the goddess within. Hades is a God, you could be-" a hand comes up to her mouth.

"You've figured it out haven't you?" I say in a low voice. She blinks.

"You could be a goddess, controlling power only you can control. You'll become stronger yes, that's it. He could be the one giving you these powers. He's the God of darkness, metal and the underworld, death basically. Is there anything else you've been getting?"

I open my mouth to speak, "so you're saying Hades is a God and I could be getting these powers from a God which makes me a half goddess. And your saying that I've been seeing a god with my own eyes this entire time?" I finish, trying to wrap my head around all the information she just figured out on her own. If I wasn't sitting in a chair, I'd probably faint again.

"Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying" she says.

"Wait, so my cousin is a half goddess?" Stacey's face lights up, her hands out in front of her.

"Goddess?"
"Cousin?" Mia says the second word and I shoot her a look.

"Long story short, we're related and if anyone of you tries anything I'll have no other choice but to have my cousin banish you from this house-"

"I was here first, and we are like sisters so-" Mia rolls her eyes.

"Well, that's a load. Technically, we were all here first and we are all close friends so now what?" Will folds his arms and glares at them both.

They finish arguing and I shake my head, let out a breath and turn back to Susan whose to busy in thought.

"Susan?"

She looks up at me, "Zoe, I'd never think it would come to this. If your really such a special person, how come your here and not somewhere being a goddess?"

"Because I'm not, I'm just a normal hybrid with friends who are my family and who I'd do anything to protect that's why"

She begins to relax in her seat, her fingers wrap around the cool glass in front of her on the table. She sends me a smile and puts her hand to my arm.

"Alright guys, let's get back to this" she shouts over everyone and they settle in their seats.

"I've seen him more than once, maybe twice but that's it" I say.

"Is he beautiful? I hear he's so dark yet so beautiful"

"Yes he is and his eyes are like metal, hes dark and scary but everytime I see him it's like he doesn't want to be seen"

"True and great identities such as a God can not be revealed to human eyes, they have to keep a distance. They are so big and so powerful, they are what creates and destroys"

I agree, nodding my head. It's crazy to think about the unknown and the known. Some things we have seen and some we are not able too because it's in our nature not too. And I get the privilege to see the sight of a God. Now he knows, I can feel him. He speaks through the power he gave me, the darkness under my skin that screams to be freed. Its him and now I don't know when I'll ever be able to see him or thank him again.

My thoughts change to something different, thinking about the other poem I hadn't said anything about.

"They left a poem on my bed before we left the camp" I say in a low voice and everyone goes quiet.

"One of the Dhampyrs?"

I nod, before closing my eyes and remembering what it said.

"Those who hunt, shall be hunted. Those who kill, shall be killed. Those who are powerful, shall be powerless" I finish and someone gasped.

"Sounds like a huge threat to me" Jake announced.

I nod again before continuing, "and that leads me to one last thing" I start again.

"I've been seeing visions, in my head. First it felt like a dream but then it wasn't. When I was asleep, I saw it and then again when I was awake after I fainted at the door. And I heard Mom both times, she was warning me" my eyes meet Madison's and her face saddens.

"Before I woke up, she said they're coming and-"

"And then you woke up and said the same thing, everyone heard you" John nodded. I forced a reassuring smile toward him.

"So does that mean, they'll all attack soon?" James finally speaks. I look to him and he's clenching his jawline and balling his fists.

"That's what it sounds like and if they want to try they can" Margaret looks frustrated and ready for a fight at the same time. I swallow, thinking of the actual vision.

"What if I can't protect you all? This is my fight and I don't want anything happening to you" I say, looking around the table.

"Zoe, we are all strong enough to stand by you. I'm sure everything will be okay" Susan squeezes my arm.

Everyone begins to move at the moment. Talking and figuring out what to do next, as much as I don't want to tell them what the vision is I have no other choice. They need to know, maybe it'll allow them to becoming stronger just by possibly knowing what they can prevent from happening themselves.

"Guys.." I stand from my seat and everyones is scattered, looking back at me.

"I need to tell you what the vision is, why Mom was warning me" Mia takes a step closer to me.

"This isn't just some fight, you guys need to be ready for anything. They could be stronger, faster than any of us"

"So what's the vision?" Someones asks.

I look up and meet all the faces I'll always consider family to me even in the biggest ways, no matter what happens.

"Its all of you and my Dad. You guys are all dead, and I'm the last standing" I sniff, and the room grows so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

"There's one more thing" I meet Susan's eyes, "Dad isn't answering his phone, I'm worried and I think it's almost time. Time for them to attack"

"We understand" John stands straight and I see everyone do the same.

"We love you Zoe, we will stand by your side no matter what happens. We will fight with you" Margaret announces more to everyone then just to me.

I nod, "okay, training starts tomorrow. I expect everyone to be up early ready. And we use my powers this time"

A/N: thanks so much for 2.29k reads! And all the votes, I adore you guys. Please vote for me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 30.4K 33
A secret hybrid. A charming Alpha. Mates. What could go wrong? ************************************** Brooklyn Jones is a hybrid. Her mother was the...
58.6K 3.9K 38
Not knowing who she was...what she was, caused; lets say, problems for Kaliska. Kaliska life changed dramatically when she discovered she was more t...
152 10 23
[ WATTYS SHORTLIST 2021 ] She's always assumed werewolves was a fantasy, but on her 16th birthday, she learns everything she ever believed in was a l...
144K 7.8K 41
Meredith had always known about magic. Her family was magic, one of the most powerful mage lines out there. Having lost her parents to all the fighti...