GAMES BY DIM LIGHT || Mature...

By MireyaZachani

Sixteen years ago, Melanie was supposed to be crashing a party on her birthday with her friend. It was a week... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24.
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
AUTHOR'S NOTE
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
Author's Note
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 61
Author's Note
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
Note Of Thanks

CHAPTER 60

242 49 3
By MireyaZachani

Melanie's POV

"Are we going to see someone special, mum?"
TJ asked me on our way out of the house.

I passed aunt Bertha at the living room watching her favourite reality show and she glanced at us with a brief smile.
"Going already?"
She asked.

"Yes, aunt."

"I wanted to talk to you for a bit. But when you get back then."

I nodded. "Okay." Wondering what it is she wanted to talk to me about, I pushed open the door for TJ who jumped out at once.

"Mum?"

"Yes, sugar?"
I looked down at him.

"You didn't tell me where we are going?"

"Oh! I'm so sorry. We are going to see your dad."

TJ paused. I was forced to stop walking and turn to loom at him. "Is everything okay with you?"

"Why did you dress like that, then?"

Wait. . . what? I took a double check at my outfit which I had actually stayed up during midnight, trying to put together, and then at my son.
"Too much? Not good?"

He was silent.

I got frustrated at once. "Tell me!"

"It is . . . You don't normally dress like this to see daddy. You look like you're going to a party."

I sighed in relief. That means it is good. I actually didn't want to make too much impression, as I wasn't dating Derrick any longer, but I still didn't want it to seem like I'm homeless on my first day meeting his mum.

Well, that wasn't the whole reason though. I dressed this good because I have a feeling that whoever Derrick is dating, will he at the house today. Just a hunch though and when I have these feelings, they never lie.

I just don't want to look too simple to meet her. I guess this is the part where the ex meets the real deal. I have over heard Derrick laughing with her on phone most times and to say the truth, he never laughed that way with me.

She must be too special to make him that happy. Since we broke up, he had been loosening up pretty well.

"Thank you, then. Okay, here's the thing. Daddy's mum is in Nigeria as we speak and he wants you to meet her."

I saw the eyes of my son sparkle as he smiled at me. This would be the first time, he gets to meet a grandma who is actually related to him. Aunt Bertha has been the grandma figure in his life since he was born and don't get me wrong, she spoils him silly, but then he had actually talked about what it would feel like to have two grandmas who would spoil him rotten.

Hmm. I'm jealous.

"Really?"

I grinned at him. "Yes. Really."

He looked up at me as we walked to the end of the street.

"Does she have long dark hair like daddy?"

I chuckled at his definition of long dark hair.  Derrick's hair was just soft and dark and grows fast, most times, they grow past his forehead.

I was about to answer him, when a car stopped beside us and the smiling face of Kendrick came up.
"So, let me get this straight. You both were walking to the bus station on foot to board a bus?"

I nodded.

He chuckled and shook his head. "Get in, Melanie. Honestly, did you really think that Derrick will let you come with a public bus?"

I scoffed and got in after TJ was comfortable at the backseat. "Really, Kendrick. It is not a bad thing to board a bus."

He scoffed and shook his head, turned around and said hi to TJ who didn't hesitate to ask him loads of questions like he was impatiently waiting for me to finish whatever discussion I had with Ken.

~•°•~

"I hope I'm not over dressed for this."
I said to myself but it appears I said it a bit too loud for Kendrick to chuckled and look at my outfit.

"Nah, you look good."
He said to me. I nodded as we stepped into the large hallway with the help of the butler, smiling and opening the door.

We made our way to the parlor in silence. Kendrick turned to me, literally blocking the way to the door and he looked hesitant.

"What's wrong?"

"There's something you should know first. . ."
The door opened, revealing one of the maids who obviously was stepping out. She passed them with a courtesy.

I looked back at Kendrick to explain what he meant earlier, but TJ opened the door and stepped in with confidence, there by revealing the both of us still standing at the door.

Kendrick turned and stepped aside for me to go in.

I was once again, having cold feet and if Kendrick hadn't made a half statement, I won't be thinking of turning around to use the bathroom or simply go home.

I passed a stiff smile as I looked around. There was obviously a discussion going on which had been interrupted by TJ's rather shabby entrance.

I mentally face palmed myself. But then, Derrick lightened it all up, when he introduced TJ as his son. That was when I saw the older version of AJ and Jamal sitting at the other sofa which I hadn't noticed earlier.

"Oh, My God." The lady said with her hand on her chest and a gasp. She looked up at Derrick with a teary smile.

"Told you, this lady is emotional."
AJ said. I turned to look at her, but she was obviously avoiding my gaze, with a glass of wine in one hand and the other on her hip, looking rather bored.

The old lady turned to glare at AJ. "Language, Missy."
She turned to TJ.

"How are you, son?" She asked.

"I'm fine, thank you. Are you my grandma? Mum said we are going to meet my grandma."
TJ said.

And that was my cue to be noticed as pairs of different kinds of eyeballs rested on me.

The lady stared at me for what seemed to be like a long time. I couldn't tell if she was pleased or not. But I could feel her eyes, sweeping from my hair down to my sandals. "Good evening, Mrs. Jacobs."

Thankfully, Derrick must have noticed my nervousness, as he stepped up beside me. Oh, I could kiss him!

Not exactly, though.

"Mum, this is Melanie. TeeJani's mother."

Then a smile broke out of her lips. She stood up and walked to me and Derrick who stepped aside. Her hands on my shoulders, she smiled. "You are beautiful, Darling."

I almost choked on my spit with shock.

Wait, that's it?

"How are you, my dear?" She asked.

"I'm doing good, Mrs. . ."

"Please. Call me Mother. At least since there will be more of you, we should start getting used to it, shouldn't we?"
She ended that confusing statement with a glance at Derrick, who was equally confused as  well.

"Um. . .Mum, what do you mean by. . ."

Her laughter cut him off. "What are you talking about, Derrick? I like her. And she is obviously beautiful. So, if I hadn't come all the way from Canada, I wouldn't know of this lady here. She will be a wonderful daughter in law, don't you think?"
She didn't look at Derrick this time. She turned to her other children.

AJ cleared her throat and looked at the rug. Mayor scratched his head and looked away. Kendrick just shrugged when Derrick looked at him.

"Um, Mum you've got this whole thing. . ."

"Settled?" She completed the statement for him and laughed, literally pulling me with her to the sofa she had occupied earlier. "We have a lot to talk about, Dear. I heard everything this nasty ass son of mine did to you."

I forced a smile and glanced at Derrick.
I watched the while scene among siblings while the Derrick's mum asked TJ some questions which I wasn't listening to at all.

Derrick looked at Mayor this time and the guy mouthed, "I tried to tell her."
And shrugged.

Wait a minute. What is going on here?

The door swung open and in came a happy looking Jenna who ran in to give Maya a hug. Maya laughed with impact of the hug, wrapping her arms around Jenna. I have never seen Jenna look this happy before.

"I can't believe you're here, Maya."

She calls her by her name?

"Yes, I am. And you will get tired of having your godmother her because I will be here for a long time."
Maya said.

Jenna laughed. "I can never get tired of having you around, Maya. I missed you."

"Hmm. You did, huh? And you didn't care to visit."

"Oh, Maya. But I did. You were in Australia then."

"Oh, shush, you little vixen. You came on purpose, knowing that I won't be there at that time."

I was actually watching this shocking movie in front of me with my mouth literally open, that I didn't realised that Heart was standing next to Jenna, smiling too.

How could Jenna be this carefree with Maya all of a sudden and look so cold with everyone else?

"And you don't look bad yourself, Jenna."
Maya was saying. She looked up at Heart. "Oh, I see you've been dating."
She said with her eyes on Heart.

Jenna chuckled. "No, Maya. This is Heart. And he is not my boyfriend."

"But he will be."
She said as Heart stepped forward.

"Good evening, Mrs. Jacobs. It is a pleasure to meet you. Jenna has told me a lot about you."

Maya chuckles. "Good things, I hope?"

"Wonderful things."
Heart said.

~•°•~

Mayor's POV

"Danielle, wait up. Come on, let's talk about this, please."
I said to her as she walked faster to her car.

I was actually begging her to wait and I can't believe I am doing this.

She paused at her cat and turned around. "What do you want us to talk about? You already made your decision, so carry on by all means."

I sighed. The lady is really a pressure pot.

"I'm sorry. I just thought, it would be nice to surprise you."

"Surprise me? How is that a surprise, Mayor? You make drastic plans and I only get to know about it after. How could you invite me to your house and then it appears that your mum is there and all of a sudden, you're telling her that I'm the girl you want to marry? Just like that?"

"I didn't think it was going to tear you up. Is it a crime to want to spend the rest of my life with you?"

"Are you serious right now?! Why didn't you tell me at first that I was going to meet your mother? This is insane, Mayor. I hope you know  that? And I was there like an idiot all along. I'm so over this."

She turned to her car, shoving through her purse furiously to get her keys, I stopped her.

"Wait, Danielle. What's the matter? The fact that I didn't tell you that my mum is here or the fact that I introduced you as my fiancée?"

"Everything!"
She snapped.

"Everything is wrong. The fact that you didn't tell at first and the fact that you never tell me things before you do them. Things that has to do with us. The fact that you took me off guard and made me look like an idiot. Everything, Mayor! Every fucking thing!"

"I'm sorry. It shouldn't have happened. I should have told you. Danielle, I'm really sorry. I don't. . . I'm not used to this. And I obviously sucked at this. But, hang in there for me, babe. I really want this to happen. I want us to happen."

She looked at me and lowered her gaze.
"You keep doing this, Mayor. You travelled without telling me. I was calling and it wasn't going through."

"I'm sorry. I fucked up there. Okay? Could you please stay? The house won't be the same without you, babe."

She sighed. "I have to go. I have surgery tomorrow morning. And it's urgent."

"You can go from here. There are tons of rooms to sleep in. And I'll be spending the night here too."

"No, I can't. I have to go home and get prepared."

I sighed because at this point, it is pointless to persuade her. She will not change her mind. "Alright. I'll call you tomorrow, then. Good luck."

She nodded and turned to her car. I stopped her again. "What?"

"We good?"
I asked.

"That depends." And she got into her car and started the engine.

"I love you."
I called after her as she drove off.

I let out a breath of relief and turned around only to meet Derrick.

"What the hell, man?"
Derrick asked.

I rolled my eyes. "Please, not you this time, Derrick. I just survived a blast, I don't need a tornado."
I said and waked past him.

He pulled me back.

"Really, Derrick. What is it?"

"What is it? What is it with mum? What did you tell her about Melanie?"

I sighed. Oh, that. "I don't know, man. She kept asking me about the lady who got raped by Derrick and I had no choice to tell her. And you know how mum loves details. She didn't let me get to the part where you broke up. I'm sorry, man. I tried to tell her that you and Melanie are no longer together."

"What?"

"That's it."

"How did she know about the rape?"

"I don't know. I swear, I was as mortified as you are right now."

Derrick was silent for a while and so was I. Then the thought crossed my mind and I looked up at him. His expression mirrored mine too.

"Jenna."
We both said.

It is logical that Jenna would be the only one to tell mum about the rape.

~•°•~

Melanie's POV

"Fancy seeing you here, Mel."

I turned around to look at AJ. I was actually walking around the house which was obviously stupidly big, looking for my son when I heard the voice of AJ.

"Yeah, you too."
I said to her.

She smiled. "I have missed you, Melanie."
She said walking towards me.

"I am searching for TJ. Seen him anywhere?"

She shook her head. "So, Jenna finds her way to your heart, I heard. You both been talking well now."

I said nothing.

"She's finally manipulating you to love her, isn't she? That's not what a friend does, Melanie."
She said and smiled.

"What does a friend do? Use people's love to their benefits?"

Her smile vanished.
I really wasn't ready to talk to AJ. That's why I haven't tried to see her since we had an argument. Because I can't trust myself not to talk to her in a harsh way like now.

I sighed. "I'm not in the mood for this, AJ."

"She's not your friend, Mel. . ."

"You know what?"
I cut in. "I don't need friends. If that's what it will take me to stay away from you, then fine. Jenna isn't the big hug kind of friend, but she's honest. I just haven't been able to see that, thanks to you. But now I do. She doesn't see anything in letting you know a piece of her mind. No matter how hurtful it may seem. And we aren't that close, because she's not the comforting kind. But she's honest. That's what counts, AJ."

I saw the hurt in her eyes when I finished. I couldn't stand and watch her break down, so I walked away.

I saw Derrick coming up to me.
"Hey, I've been searching all over for you."
He said.

"I can't find TJ."
I said.

"Oh, he's with my mother. Since they met, it has been hard to tear him off her. Maybe we should wait till she falls asleep before pulling him off her."

I laughed. "I think we will be waiting for him to fall asleep then."

He smiled. "Can I talk to you for a bit?"

I nodded. He led us to study  room and shut the door behind him.

"What is it?"

"About earlier. I hope you're not uncomfortable?"

"Oh, no. Your mum is really wonderful. I didn't expect her to be this nice. Font get me wrong but, I was just nervous and scared at the same time."

He grinned. "Is that even possible?"

I laughed. "I have no idea."

We both laughed at that.

Then he looked up at me, stepped forward and took a deep breath. "There's been some. . . Misunderstanding here."

"What's that?"

"Uh. . . Someone told my mum about the. . . uh. . .About TJ's birth secret. And I'm guessing it could be Jenna. Whatever reason it is.
But, my mum got the impression that you and I are still. . ."
He trailed off but I understood.

"But, didn't you tell her that we broke up?"

"I didn't know. I just wanted to tell her tonight, but she gave her definition. Look, I want to tell her. I don't want you caught up in all this, but I can't tell her."

"Why not?"

"Mum is sick, Melanie. That's why she came. She has Cancer. We just got to find out before you came in. She told us and . . . She feels happy with the thought that we are dating and planning to get married. I font know why, but I can't stand to see her hurting."

What?! Cancer. Of all the things Derrick just said, this is the only thing I could pick out of it. I blinked, trying to wrap my head around the bomb I just received.

I just met her. I just got to know her and she has cancer?

I looked up at Derrick. I wasn't embarrassed this time that I was already blinking back tears.

"Is it bad?"
I asked huskily.

"Worst."

"Oh God."
I whispered. "How could. . . This is bad."

"I know, Melanie. And I don't want to pull you into this while family thing again. But I thought about it and she keeps asking about when we plan on getting married. She wouldn't stop asking. I need you, Melanie."

I looked up at him.
I need you Melanie.
I haven't heard him talk to me like that.

He was staring deep into my eyes.

"For how long?"
I asked. I knew this wouldn't be easy. Because we just got apart and this would probably open up old wounds. But then I thought of his mother.

"I don't know. Till, I'm able to let her know, perhaps."
He said and shrugged.
"It won't be real, Melanie. Just help me act in front of her. Just in front of her."

"Sure. Of course."

He sighed with his eyes closed. "Thank you. I'm really sorry for pulling you into this. . ."

"No, no, it is fine. I want her to be happy too."
That was the truth.

He nodded and planted a kiss on my forehead. I can't say I didn't miss that gesture.  "You are a legend, Mel."
He whispered.

I smiled.
The door opened and a lady waked in. She was obviously beautiful from the looks of it. She smiled, looked from me to Derrick.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were alone. Mayor told me. . ."

"No, it is okay. Come in."

She smiled and stepped in. "Hi."
She said to me.

I nodded at her, carefully looking at her stiletto heels and designers wear to her clearly expensive weave-on.

"This is TJ's mother."
Derrick introduced.

The lady gasped. "Oh, my God. You gave birth to that smartness? It is really nice to finally meet you in person. Derrick has told me a lot about you, Melanie."
She extended her hand for a shake.

I was smiling when she said my son was smartness. I took her hand for a shake, still smiling.

"Melanie, this is Gina."
Derrick introduced.

For some weird reason, my hands fell to my sides making her hands fall back, which was rather rude. But I didn't want to think of that. I kept looking at the lady who smiled at me instead.

Gina? The one who has been calling Derrick nonstop? The one who made him laugh more than he ever did with me?

The Gina.

Took me a while to put that together. So, Gina finally comes out of hiding.
Sweet.

Please, don't forget to vote and comment.
Love,
Mireya💕

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

300K 6.4K 52
Ethan Lane was your typical player. He was smooth, handsome, manly, successful and a total chick magnet. Women loved him and men wanted to be him. He...
5.4K 66 13
Rui's bachelor party was in full swing but his mind was elsewhere, thinking of his impending marriage. When his friends surprised him with a girl fro...
5.3K 300 39
๐™’๐™๐™–๐™ฉ ๐™ฌ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ก๐™™ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™™๐™ค ๐™ž๐™› ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™›๐™š๐™ก๐™ก ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™– ๐™˜๐™ค๐™ข๐™– ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™ฌ๐™ค๐™ ๐™š ๐™ช๐™ฅ ๐™›๐™š๐™š๐™ก๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™—๐™š๐™ฉ๐™ง๐™–๐™ฎ๐™š๐™™ ๐™—๐™ฎ ๐™š๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™š...
94.9K 2.7K 34
We all know that starting the next stage of Education is hard, things like moving to a new area and being a freshmen in college. Well, that explains...