Take Me Back To Paddington (S...

By KimEdwood

Bearing a famous resemblance of the modern Sherlock Holmes, Lisa Isaac never fails to uncover murder and suic... More

Author's Note
Copyright
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12 - The Death
Chapter 13 - The Reports
Chapter 14 - The Interrogation
Chapter 15 - The Push
Chapter 16 - The Search
Chapter 17 - The Talk
Chapter 18 - The God She Loves
Chapter 19 - The Post Mortem of Chae R.
Chapter 20 - The Dark Fog
Chapter 21 - The Psychic
Chapter 22 - The Psychic 2
Chapter 23 - The Believers
Chapter 24 - The Soul Seller
Chapter 25 - The Soul Buyer
Chapter 26 - The Warnings
Chapter 27 - The First Night
Chapter 28 - The First Night 2
Chapter 29 - The Chae
Chapter 30 - The Opposite
Chapter 31 - The Opposite 2
Chapter 32 - The Date
Chapter 33 - The Date 2
Chapter 34 - The Night Stroll
Chapter 35 - The Glass Wall
Chapter 36 - The Notebook
Chapter 37 - The Seeker
Chapter 38 - The Encounter
Chapter 39 - The Lost Souls
Chapter 40 - The Sweats
Chapter 41 - The Chae
Chapter 42 - The Soul Travellers
Chapter 43 - The Lisa
Chapter 44 - The Plan
Chapter 45 - The Cross ✝️
Chapter 46 - The Cross II ✝️
Chapter 47 - The Church
Chapter 48 - The Angel's Grace
Chapter 49 - The Encounter II
Chapter 50 - EPILOGUE
BOOK TWO (Coming Soon)
Chapter 1 - The Beginning
Chapter 2 - The Heating
Chapter 3 - The Decision
Chapter 4 - The News
Chapter 5 - The Drink
Chapter 6 - The Options
Chapter 7 - The Takeaway
Chapter 8 - The Last Customer
Chapter 9 - The Last Customer II
Chapter 10 - The Way Back Home
Chapter 11 - The Way Back Home II
Chapter 12 - The Father
Chapter 13 - The Father II
Chapter 14 - The Child
Chapter 15 - The Jealousy
Chapter 16 - The New Deal
Chapter 17 - The New Journey
Chapter 18 - The Approaches
Chapter 19 - The Message
Chapter 20 - The Call
Chapter 21 - The Lunch
Chapter 22: The Lunch II
Chapter 23 - The Chase
Chapter 24 - The Ride
Chapter 25 - The Confessions
Chapter 26 - The Conditions
Chapter 27 - The Friends
Chapter 28 - The Friends II
Chapter 29 - The Request
Chapter 30 - The Breakfast
Chapter 31 - The Envelope
Chapter 32 - The Temptation
Chapter 33 - The Friday Night
Chapter 34 - The Fall
Chapter 35 - The Doe Eyes
Chapter 36 - The Shower ✝️
Chapter 37 - The Awakening
Chapter 38 - The Answers
Chapter 39 - The Journey I
Chapter 40 - The Journey II
Chapter 41 - The Last Fight
Chapter 42 - The Deceit
EPILOGUE - The Angel's Grace II
END SCENE

Chapter 8

2.4K 174 64
By KimEdwood

I walked under the crossing tape after reporting myself at the policeman, heading towards the front door of a two storey townhouse that had crime scene investigators coming in and out from it.

I pushed my breath out with a strong force as if it was heavy, thinking of how desperate I was to get these things done so that I could go home before Chae went to work at 11a.m. But I knew it was impossible since the procedures weren't that simple. Collecting and gathering all information together were best done within the first 48 hours when everything was still fresh especially the memories of possible witnesses.

'I can't remember' was my most hated answer to hear whenever I asked them about how they found the dead body, or how was the condition etcetera.

I needed every information to be clear and well remembered in order for me to dig out clues, plot initial theories before crime scene investigation team provided me with processed evidences, and of course find out the modus operandi in the whole murder plan.

Those steps were crucial for me, which made the 'first 48 hours' was the main goal to run after for any homicide detective.

Taking a very careful step into the house, I brought myself to the primary crime scene, which was where the body was found while my eyes were scanning the living room along the way. I noticed red plastic cups everywhere and how messy the area was; sofa cushions scattered around, an out of position coffee table, other furnitures, and leftovers in plastic plates that created bad smells.

I definitely knew that this murder was committed for at least 48 hours already based on the rotten food.

But seeing how those crime scene investigators being so committed to their jobs; collecting physical evidences, reminded me again that I worked with one of the best teams in England. They would definitely give me something important than just a theory I created in my mind.

And looking at another best detective in this crime scene as I entered the kitchen, I was certain that he got my back at any time to solve this mess.

"Baxter" I greeted a man who had a digital camera hanging around his neck.

"Isaac" He turned his attention to me. "Are you alright?"

I almost smiled when I heard a questionable tone in the way he spoke. He obviously couldn't suppress how baffled he was when the 'always early' Lisa Isaac arrived late for the first time ever.

"Sorry, buddy" I gave a few taps on his back. "Did I trouble you working alone?"

"Not really," He responded. "Everything is good so far"

I scanned around shortly after, looking for a dead body that I expected to see as soon as I entered the room. But I didn't. That was because the body wasn't lying on the floor or sitting at a table.

It was already unlucky for me to get a call out, and then I had to see a freezer box at the corner of the kitchen that had blood stains on its white body.

"What have you got, Baxter?"

I asked, walking away from him to follow the blood drops on the floor that were already marked by the crime scene investigators before, which led me to the freezer box and my heart began to pound against my chest when I finally saw what was inside it.

"21 year old university student, Samantha Young," Nick Baxter read the information he managed to collect before I arrived. "She was found by one of her housemates, Laila Hussain, who just came back from summer holiday in Paris"

"What about her other housemates?" I asked, staring at the victim's face since her head was the only part of her body that I could see at the moment.

"The other 2 are out of the UK, also for summer holiday" He answered. "By the way, Miss Hussain is with the police outside if you want to talk to her?"

"Later," I sighed. "I want to know about Samantha first"

"Her body was folded and shoved inside that clear garbage bag. M.E suspected that she was wounded and bled. The freezer was set to the lowest temperature-"

"And the blood froze with her" I cut him off, eyes looking at a block of thick ice made out from Samantha Young's blood that secured in the garbage bag.

"Yes. The CSI team had to hammer the frozen blood so that the M.E could have the access to her head"

"Time of death can't be determined yet, am I right?"

"Her body temperature is cold, obviously. M.E couldn't record that" He said. "They will transfer the body shortly. As for now, we can only rely on post mortem"

"Which will take time, Baxter. We don't have the time" I responded, starting to examine the kitchen. "It would take at least 48 hours for a -18° freezer to freeze 1.2 gallons of blood" I took my voice recorder device out from my jacket. "She was dead at least 2 days ago"

"That's what I thought too"

"We need to assess Samantha's bedroom later and after that I need you to check the entire row of the opposite houses. Look for any residence that has CCTV at front and request for a warrant as soon as possible" I used my leadership skills to make sure the investigation flow was carried out the way it must be. "I'll take over Laila Hussain in the meantime"

Baxter nodded.

So I pressed the record button on my device, taking it closer to my mouth.

"Detective Lisa Isaac, MIT. Date 15 June 2018-" I paused, glancing at the watch around my wrist. "Time three fifteen a.m., crime scene address 9177 Park Lane, London, WC65 7WD" I continued to speak. "Detectives at the crime scene, myself, Detective Lisa Isaac and Detective Nick Baxter, MIT for homicide case of Samantha Young"

My sharp eyes travelled at one place at a time, taking a careful, precise look at every evidence in the room.

"Back door is in perfect condition, windows are all intact. No signs of force entry so far" I breathed out. "Leftovers are found in the kitchen and also in the living room" I made my way out from the kitchen to have a more detailed observation. "My first theory is Samantha Young threw a party at least 2 days ago," I said. "...with at least 5 guests according to the number of plastic cups found in the living room"

The rest of the investigation continued as a team, giving my undivided attention to the entire crime scene and getting the information I needed from one of the people who rented this townhouse, Laila Hussain, before I cleared the girl to leave with police officers escorting her to a hotel.

I still needed her to be at the police station for thorough interrogation in the afternoon later.

Closing the driver's door, I saw Nick took a cigarette box out from his pocket and he rested his arms on the window frame.

"You know the rules, Baxter" I warned him. "No smoking near me"

"The window is opened-"

"It's the same thing" I cut him off, refusing to accept his ways of tricking me. "The air is already polluted enough. I don't need you to blow that bloody smoke to me"

Chuckling, he opened the box and take one cigarette out. "I'm sleepy, Isaac. I got the call out at 2 a.m. and now it's-" He paused, checking his watch for a second. "11a.m. already"

"What time do you think I got the call?" I huffed. "I came in late but I woke up as early as you did"

I grabbed my cell phone in hurry when he mentioned the time, reminding me about my girlfriend who was alone at my place.

"Everything's alright at home?" He placed the cigarette in between his lips, taking a few steps away from my car window.

"Yeah, it was just Chae" I answered as I unlocked the phone. "She made me coffee"

"What?!" He pressed his voice. "Since when you drink coffee?!"

I chuckled because of his reaction, and also because of the text messages I received.

From: Baby Cheetah

10:55 a.m. : Hey Jaguar, I just left for work and I washed your clothes. Please don't get mad at me. I love you!

10:57 a.m. : Also, I did lock the door, turn off the lights and switches. Bye Jag!

"Since Chae made it for me?" I smiled, thinking of what to reply to Chae.

"No wonder" He laughed. "You finally got distracted"

I brought my eyes to Baxter who was slowly killing himself with the cigarette.

"I'm really sorry, Nick" I apologised. "For earlier"

"That's alright, don't worry about it. It's all settled right?"

"You should have requested for other detectives on call. They would be sent to help you out much faster"

"Do you know who's on call too?"

"Who?"

"Your 'boyfriend if you said yes', John Hopkins"

"Goddamn it!" I almost threw my phone at Nick in response. "Don't address him that!"

Baxter really knew how to get into my nerve, which was teasing me about a man who once tried to woo me back then.

And everyone in the police station knew Hopkins and I weren't in a good terms ever since I rejected him. He would always try drag me down in front of the investigation teams, badmouthing and spreading about how amateur my investigation skills were.

But action always speaks louder than words.

It was still me who had the title 'The female version of Sherlock Holmes'. It was me who held the best case solved records among all detectives in the MIT. The false news he spread would never break me in any way he could possibly think of.

I was lucky though that I didn't have to work with him in the same case so far.

That would be a disaster.

"It's true, right?" Baxter still laughed at me. "So that's why I didn't call for assistance, I'd rather wait for you-" He smoked and breathed out shortly after. "...than working with that bastard"

I understood him at that point of time. I once worked with John Hopkins, and I was sure even Baxter had too. We all knew how hard and complicated it was to work with an arrogant, big headed person like Hopkins.

And it wasn't a surprise anymore if Nick or other detectives were more comfortable working with Lisa Isaac.

I guessed the imprinted idea of working under a female leader could be very difficult or absolute nightmare had failed to be proven in my case.

"Don't forget tomorrow night!" I changed the subject, reminding Baxter about our dinner plan at my place on Saturday night.

"I'll try to," He responded, making me frowned immediately. "My boys invited me for a beer at the club"

"Come on, Baxter" I sighed, turning my head away from him. "Don't do that to Chae, she's expecting you"

"To be honest, I actually forgot about the dinner"

"I knew it!" I pushed out my voice a little louder.

"Can't you just tell her I can't come?"

Sighing, I gave my attention back to the text messages. "You promised her, Nick. She even asked me what your favourite food is so she can cook it"

I saw his figure moved, coming closer to the car window from the corner of my eye.

"I was just joking," He chuckled. "You should have seen your face, Isaac" Nick began to laugh this time. "You really don't want to hurt her feelings!"

"Of course!" I connected my eyes back with his. "You know how Chae is!"

"I know, she's just lovely"

"So," I paused. "What's your favourite food? I need to buy groceries later"

He killed his own laughter as soon as I finished speaking.

"Are you serious, Lisa?" He furrowed his eyebrows. "We have been friends for years, having lunch together" Nick complained, starting to pull my hair playfully. "You don't even know what my favourite food is?!"

I laughed, pushing his hands away. "You eat so many food!" I protested. "Give me a specific one!"

"You are unbelievable" He shook his head. "I love that red sauce chicken slices she cooked for me last time"

"Just that?"

"I can order a whole restaurant menu if you want?"

I chuckled, looking at my phone screen as I was about to reply Chae's messages.

To: Baby Cheetah

11:06 a.m. : I just settled the crime
scene. Will go to the station now.
Please be careful and thank you
so much for washing my clothes.

11:06 a.m. : How do I live without you?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.9K 1.5K 37
It takes a lot to heal a broken heart, but it takes a lot more to trust that it won't be broken again. Jennie's parents died in an accident 14 years...
3.7M 102K 68
Jennie said she's 100% straight, but she's not homophobic either. It's just that she has been inlove with a guy for almost 5yrs now. But, what if one...
279K 8.5K 51
After the accident happened over 10 years ago that killed both of her parents, Lalisa Manoban, a Lead Inspector of the Korean Police Department, her...
9.1K 214 25
~DARK ROMANCE~ The first time I saw her, she was trembling with fear. She was terrified of me, but now that I've found her, there's no way I'm lettin...