Dreamville music label

By i_am_music_criticism

Dreamville Records is an American record label founded by American hip-hop artist J.Cole and his Sudanese-Ame... More

Background of Dreamville Records
Background information about Dreamville artists
Facts about Dreamville Records
Ibrahim Hamad
CHRONICLES OF REVENGE OF THE DREAMERS I,II AND III.
Revenge of the Dreamers III:Director's cut
The Come Up
The Warm Up
Friday Night Lights
Cole World : The Sideline Story
Was the song "Lost One's" by J Cole based on someone's personal experience?
Truly Yours and Truly Yours 2
Born Sinner
2014 Forest Hills Drive by J Cole
Forest Hills Drive : Live
KOD
MIDDLE CHILD
Snow On Tha Bluff
Lewis Street
Elephant Eyes
Important facts about Omen and J. Cole
Quarter Water Raised Me Volume II
Two Weeks Notice
Last Winter
Too High to Riot
Milky Way
Spilled Milk 1 (EP)
Cozz & Effect
Nothin Personal
Effected
West 1996 and West 1996 pt 2
GED (Gettin Every Dolla)
Life
Pho
How did "Shea Butter Baby" album by Ari Lennox help her to her rise of success?
Shea Butter Baby Remix EP
If You Want Me To Stay
Chocolate Pomegranate
The Never Story
DiCaprio and DiCaprio 2
Trilogy of EP's:Rags,Robots and Royalty
The album "Mirrorland" by EarthGang is unique in nature.
Pretty Little Fears
A lot
Dreamville moments 2019
Author's note
Spillage Village : End of Daze
Podcast about Dreamville Records
EarthGang and Lute
Announcement
The Off Season by J. Cole
Gold Mouf
Goodbye

4 Your Eyes Only

84 11 39
By i_am_music_criticism

Is the album 4 Your Eyez Only by J.Cole based on J.Cole's personal experience.?
Most likely it is. According to Wikipedia it states that Genius reached out to a source close to Dreamville,who confirmed that the story line is about a real friend of Cole's and that he changed the name to James for the sake of privacy.

4 Your Eyes Only album cover

Fron the statement above,this album is mainly talking about death and suffering. Moreover,the fact that J.Cole changed the name of his late friend to James for the sake of privacy shows that despite talking about his friend on the album 4 Your Eyez Only he is still mourning and suffering about James death. This shows that J.Cole is the true definition of "low-key". Therefore,we can say that the title, 4 Your Eyez Only is more like telling a story about J.Cole's personal life hence the album is special.

The title of the album 4 Your Eyez Only shows that it is based on J.Cole's personal experience. According to other sources on the internet,the title of the track 4 Your Eyez Only serves as a message to both J.Cole's newborn little boy and Nina the daughter of a deceased childhood friend,whom the rapper calls James McMillian, Jr.
However there is a different interpretation to the album 4 Your Eyez Only. According to other sources on the internet,the album cover is by photographer Anthony Supreme. The photographer toured with the Dreamville founder for two weeks documenting Cole's writing sessions and spontaneous outings. He has a different interpretation regarding the album,telling Genius it is:"Cole Speaking to the youth-this is for your eyes only-for the black youth and how we are all are kids at some point and we really don't know nothing about the reality that we live on".

From my point of view,I believe that 4 Your Eyez Only by J.Cole is based on his personal experience. For example,according to songfacts,Cole repeats the phrase, "for your eyes" throughout the song emphasising it is a message to his friend's daughter and his little boy.Moreover, if we look at the background information by Wikipedia it states that 4 Your Eyez Only is the fourth studio album by American rapper J.Cole. It was released on December 9 2016 by Dreamville Records ,Roc Nation and Interscope Records which was released exactly two years after Cole's previous studio album 2014 Forest Hills Drive. The album explores a variety of topics concerning the African-American community including mass incarceration,racial discrimination,gang violence and depression. The album also touches other topics such as love and fatherhood.

The title of the track 4 Your Eyez Only mainly talks about death,love,gang violence and fatherhood.
At the beginning of the song [Verse 1] Cole explains the life challenges his late friend James faced.

"...I try to find employment even if it's wiping toilets
But these felonies be making life the hardest
Resisting the temptation to run up and swipe a wallet
Or run up on your yard,snatch your daughter bike and pawn it
That's why I write this sonnet
If the pressure get too much for me to take and I break
Play this tape for my daughter and let her know my life is on it
(For your eyes)Let her know my life is on it
(For your eyes)For your eyes only..."

From the lyrics above,we can see that James lived in poverty because he was willing to find any job even if it meant cleaning the toilets.Moreover where it says,"Let her know my life is on it" clearly shows that J.Cole's late friend James knew that his life was in danger but he wanted to let his daughter know that he will always be there for her even when he dies. This shows one of the important topics found in the track which is love and fatherhood. The fact that J.Cole is speaking on behalf of his late friend clearly shows that they had a close relationship hence when it comes to friends,to Cole they are more like family.

The final verse of the track, 4 Your Eyez Only clearly supports the point that the album is based on J.Cole's personal experience. This is shown where it says:

"..Jermaine,I knew you since we was children
I never asked for nothing,when times was hard
I never had discussions with you,begging you to help me
I dealt with the repercussions of my actions
I know you tried to steer me 'way from that shit
But that shit was in my blood,you know my life..."

From the lyrics above,the use of the word,"Jermaine" is J.Cole's first name hence he is a messenger between his late friend James and his daughter Nina.Moreover,James was living a life of crime and Cole tried to stop him but it was in James blood. This is why James approached to Cole to send a message to his daughter because he knew he would die some day.
Moreover where it says:
"..I dedicate these words to you and all the other children
Affected by the mass incarceration of this nation
That sent your pops to prison when he needed education..."
supports Anthony Supreme' s point of view about Cole speaking to the youth hence the album is addressing to James daughter and other youth affected by the mass incarceration.

The title of the track 4 Your Eyez Only is a story about the challenges faced by James,his love for his daughter and Cole being a messenger between James and his daughter Nina. This is why the album is based onJ.Cole's personal experience because he clearly explains his friends experience and how it affected his friend and him to the extent he decided to write the song, 4 Your Eyez Only.

According to Wikipedia it states that many critics praised Cole's songwriting and called it his best and most mature album to date. On January 12, 2017 4 Your Eyez Only was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America and was certified Platinum on April 7,2017.This shows that this album is special to the extent it wad certified Gold because of Cole making reference to his friend's death.

Track list

As stated by Genius:Here's The Deeper Meaning Behind J Cole's New Album 4 Your Eyez Only Dec 09 2016 by Chris Mench he states that on the song "Change" Cole reenacts his funeral and raps about seeing his murder reported on the news.

Another point which shows that the album, 4 Your Eyez Only is based on J.Cole's personal experience is shown through the song track "Change".As stated by Songfacts J.Cole raps here about the changes he is going through as he grows older and gains wisdom and maturity.

"I know you desperate for a change let the pen glide
But the only real change come from inside"

As stated by Songfacts, his change from being in a singular state of mind to more socially responsible adult has come from inside.
Moreover,according to other internet sources they show us the lessons we can learn from J.Cole's "Change".Despite the pain Cole experienced in previous tracks,there is something inside him that tells him there will be better days that gives him a reason to keep moving forward. Cole calls this intuition,but the Bible calls it hope.

According to the source Genius by Chris Mench it states that a few of the album tracks -like "Foldin Clothes" and the two "She's Mine" songs focus on love,fatherhood and their ability to make a man reconsider his priorities in life.This is a theme likely applies to Cole's own life but also fits in the McMillan narrative. This supports the view that the album is based on J.Cole's personal experience.
According to Billboard "J.Cole Contemplates Life & Death on 4 Your Eyez Only " it states that following his 2015 marriage to longtime girlfriend Mellisa,Cole gives us a peek into his domestic life .

"I wanna fold clothes for you
I wanna make you feel good"

He now enjoys doing mundane,domestic chores like folding laundry,watching Netflix and eating Raisin Bran hence showing that the album is based on J.Cole's personal experience.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 375 31
Have you ever laid down with a man and wasn't sure if you'd ever get back up? Tossed the sheets with a bone knocking fear only a cold blooded killer...
114K 5.7K 33
Finding Happiness Spinoff - Jordan (Cole's best friend) My past haunts me. I don't do relationships because of it. I hook up, one night no feelings...
earbuds By cosmo

Fanfiction

104K 3.4K 23
Everyone at age 18 gets shipped a pair of earbuds. These earbuds help you hear and talk to your soulmate. Your soulmate can also do the same, talk to...
470 103 16
[2x Featured] The moment you meet your soulmate, you feel it like the wind brushing against your skin when time stops. »»...