Intergallactic Witness Protec...

By DrewJes

In space, you still have your rights... Alicia Ivy, the AI affectionately named by Orion- her creator, captai... More

Author's Note
Character List
Scene One
Scene One II
Scene Two
Scene Three
Scene Four
Scene Five I
Scene Five II
Scene Six
Scene Seven I
Scene Seven II
Scene Seven III
Scene Eight
Scene Nine II
Scene Ten
Scene Eleven I
Scene Eleven II
Scene Eleven III
Scene Eleven IV
Scene Twelve
Scene Twelve II
Scene Twelve III
Scene Twelve IV
Scene Twelve V
Scene Twelve VI
Scene Twelve VII
Scene Twelve VIII
Scene Thirteen
Scene Thirteen I
Scene Thirteen II
Scene Fourteen
Scene Fifteen
Nicholas's Dream
Rose's Dream
Reverend Shipping's Dream
Killa's Dream
Silas's Dream
Orion's Dream
Scene Sixteen
Scene Sixteen II
Scene Seventeen
Scene Seventeen II
Scene Seventeen III
Scene Seventeen IV
Scene Seventeen V
Scene Eighteen
Scene Eighteen II
Scene Nineteen
Scene Nineteen II
Scene Nineteen III
Scene Nineteen IV
Scene Twenty
Scene Twenty II
Scene Twenty III
Scene Twenty IV
Scene Twenty V
Scene Twenty-One
Scene Twenty-One II
Scene Twenty-Two
Scene Twenty-Two II
Scene Twenty-Two III
Scene Twenty-Three
Scene Twenty-Four
Scene Twenty-Five
Scene Twenty-Five II
Scene Twenty-Six
Scene Twenty-Six II
Scene Twenty-Seven
Scene Twenty-Eight
Scene Twenty-Eight II
Scene Twenty-Eight III
Scene Twenty-Eight IV
Chapter Twenty-Eight V
Scene Twenty-Nine
Scene Thirty
Scene Thirty-One
Scene Thirty-Two
Scene Thirty-Three
Scene Thirty-Four
Scene Thirty-Five
Scene Thirty-Six
Scene Thirty-Six II
Scene Thirty-Seven
Scene Thirty-Eight
Scene Thirty-Nine
Scene Forty

Scene Nine I

10 4 0
By DrewJes

I stand behind my captain as he uses his tele-binoculars to peer out of a glass-less window, wrapped in a dusty, dark curtain.

"Do you see the hospital?" I ask.

Orion gestures at me. "Could you dim yourself down a bit?"

"I'm sorry if I'm too brilliant for you."

"You'll make us an easy target for snipers."

"I know." I don't point out that I dimmed down the moment he opened his mouth. "I'm just trying to lighten the mood."

He sighs heavily and adjusts the tele-binoculars. "I'm fine, Alicia Ivy."

"You're not, but I know you can compartmentalize, so I'll save it for once we're in the ship again."

"Thank you." He adjusts the tele-binoculars again. "Now tell me what readings you have?"

"I'm reading a high level of anxiety, a low level of self-esteem, an increasing tenor of dread, but also a general permeation of determination and willpower."

Orion groans this time and holds out the tele-binoculars to me. "Not. What. I. Meant."

"I know." I peer through the tele-binoculars as I sync with them, going into the electronic controls of the device and pushing them to the maximum capacity to peer through them. Unfortunately, this isn't an x-ray model, so I have to make do with making out the floor plan by peering through the glass-less windows. Then I turn on my own heat vision abilities, channeling them through the tele-binoculars.

The hospital has several life forms on each of its apparently three floors. Many of them are lying down, patients I assume, and others are standing upright. But which one is our Reverend?

"How many individuals are we looking at?" Orion asks.

"It looks like somewhere around fifty-nine patients and thirty-one orderlies and/or visitors."

"Well, that's just wonderful."

"It is a good thing you upgraded me to be capable of noticing and interpreting sarcasm."

"I'm pretty sure that was some sarcasm you just employed yourself, Alicia Ivy."

If I were mortal, I would smile at the warmth spreading my body. But some things can't be learned, like warmth at a funny comment. For me, I can only sense that such things can be so and manipulate reactions based on my observations of others.

"I don't suppose you can make out any kind of weapons they may be waiting to use against us," Orion adds.

"No, just the number of people present in the hospital, which I already gave you."

"Right, so our best strategy would be the Ninja Cowboy."

I turn the tele-binoculars to Orion and do my best to mimic Killa's Look so I can give it to him properly. "Orion, how many times do we have to go through this, the Ninja Cowboy is not a cover-all strategy. It's not even a good for one time strategy."

Orion frowns. "Don't slander the Ninja Cowboy strategy. Remember the mission with the Europan princess mission?"

"You mean the debacle where you almost got executed because everyone thought you were trying to assassinate the very person you were protecting?"

His frown twists upward. "But I did protect her."

 "And almost died for it! I had to perform the reverse Ninja Cowboy."

"Lies," he mutters jokingly. "Lies and calumny."

-Banner by CannibalisticNecro

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 303 7
*Featured on Wattpad Explorer's Near Future Visions reading list!* A century ago, our AI benefactor, Moses, disappeared, taking mankind's...
6.6K 1K 37
❖ Interstellar pilot and ex-adventurer Alex Gallegos must keep their team safe on an icy moon as sentient storms threaten to repeat the tragedy that...
377K 21.6K 67
Four women - a lawyer, a teacher, an athlete and a soldier - are abducted by four alien men. The aliens, far from being bug-eyed monsters, have 90%...
34.7K 3.1K 28
Unjustly accused of murder, the Demon of Wrath joins forces with the Archangel of Justice to find the true culprit. ____ Sannarah lives from one dead...