Scene Twenty-Five

"I can drive us to Eros."

I shake my holographic head at Orion. "So can I. You need to rest."

Orion groans, but doesn't seem able to fight when Shipping and Wayta tug him out of his seat.

Then Shipping turns to me. "Do we really need to dock at Eros, though? I mean, half of our journey is already gone?"

"We'll be suspended in space before we can reach Mars if we don't dock for fuel at Eros."

Shipping sighs. "And then we'll be easy pickings for pirates again."

Wayta laughs at that. "If we should be so lucky. Most people just die of starvation or exposure long before their bodies are found."

The good reverend frowns. "If it's the only way, then."

Orion sighs wearily. "It is."

Without another word, Shipping and Wayta carry him halfway to his room. Where they are intercepted by Killa and Nicholas.

"Orion!" Killa cries, hurrying to take Shipping's place without him even noticing. "Why didn't you call us to arms?"

"You needed your rest," he answers, his eyes barely open, but a smile on his face.

Nicholas crosses his arms and leans against the wall. "How come you say that now when you're exhausted and never when I complain about the early and/or late drills."

Orion ignores him as I open his bedroom door before him.

Nicholas frowns as he sees the Reverend standing beside him now, looking confused, and then turns back to see the two women maneuver Orion toward his cot. "And, how come when you're tired, you get almost every female on the ship to assist you?"

Despite his exhaustion, Orion still manages half a grin. "Some of us just got it, I guess."

Muttering to himself, Nicholas walks away.

And the two females in question help to lay Orion down on his cot. Wayta moves to remove Orion's boots. And Killa clutches Orion's hand.

"Are you sure you're okay?" she asks him.

I approach them. "His system is stable. He just needs to sleep off the effects."

Nodding slowly, Killa releases Orion's head and steps back.

Wayta, however, moves further undress Orion.

I turn to Killa. "Please escort her back to her room in the brig."

The Venetian stiffens. "After all I've done-"

Killa finds no problem taking Wayta's arm despite all that.

"Alicia Ivy," Orion begins weakly.

"And then get her a new set of clothes," I order Killa, analyzing the droop of Orion's outfit on Wayta. "Something more her real size."

Killa nods. "Yes, ma'am."

Orion groans. "Will that really be necessary?"

I silence him with a Look I upgraded for just such a time as this. "While you are out of action, I am assuming command of this ship, this crew, and the prisoner. You just rest, captain."

Groaning, Orion plants his hand over his eyes. "Aye, aye, Hal."

Smiling because I know it'll cheer him up, I leave Orion to rest in peace.

-Banner by cannibalisticnecro

-Signature by -krystalite