FAMILY | on hold

By actorseokjin

Kim Seokjin, 32, is a single father. He works two shifts, seven days a week, as a cook at a small Korean cuis... More

FAMILY
one ✔
two ✔
three ✔
four✔
six✔
seven✔
eight✔
nine✔
ten✔
eleven✔
twelve✔
thirteen✔
fourteen✔
fifteen✔
sixteen✔
seventeen✔
please read..?
thank you!!

five✔

4K 311 98
By actorseokjin

there's a long interaction between jin and kriti in the last few pages but i just want to show how their friendship develops. i havent forgotten that this is a taejin fic! ;)

NOTE: "samchon" = uncle

At 2PM the next day, Seokjin is back in Mr Kim's office. He was quite confused when he received an email from Mr Kim asking him if he's able to return tomorrow (which is today) at the same time to discuss something important. It was sent just minutes after their meeting ended yesterday.

"Good afternoon, Mr Kim," Taehyung says, and gestures to the chair in front of his desk. "Please take a seat."

"Thank you," Seokjin murmurs as he sits down.

"I don't want to waste your time so I'll get straight to the point," Taehyung says. He grabs a plastic sleeve that contains some papers that are stapled together and he slides it over to Seokjin. "You asked for an extension with the payment due date and I said it's not possible because it's a fixed date; however, I have an alternative. If you don't mind and if you have time, please give this a quick read."

The cover page says 'CONFIDENTIAL'. Seokjin takes the form out and flips to the first page. The first thing he sees is 'COOKING & HOUSEKEEPING CONTRACT' at the top. He has an idea of what this is about but he still skims through the pages to make sense of this. There's a brief description/explanation of the purpose of this contract, a list of tasks that must be completed during every shift, a consent form, and a confidentiality agreement. By the time he's done reading, he's sitting there in disbelief because this is a lot to process.

Mr Kim has offered free schooling for the boys in exchange for cooking and housekeeping services on weekdays. Seokjin can't tell if there are any hidden intentions behind this contract but even if the intentions are pure, he can't agree to this. It's complete madness.

"Well? Are you interested?" Taehyung asks, quite hopeful. He's not the best at reading emotions or making predictions but there's no way that Seokjin would reject this offer. It has a bunch of benefits and it's so worth it. If someone was to reject this then they deserve the title 'World's Biggest Idiot'.

"I'm sorry, sir, but I have to say no," Seokjin says as he puts the form down.

Taehyung blinks a few times because he can't believe this. He can't believe what he's hearing. "May I ask why?" he asks. "I know it's very sudden and unexpected considering our conversation yesterday but I do think this is a good offer. Please think twice before you make a decision."

"Sir, with all due respect, you have to be much less demanding if you would like someone to consider an offer like this. I will admit that it's very tempting and it's very generous of you to provide free schooling for all three of my sons but you haven't taken into consideration that I can not start working tomorrow morning when I have a shift at my current job."

Taehyung's face heats up slightly because he only now realises that he was, in deed, quite demanding with his terms and conditions.

"My employer will need a two weeks' notice about any significant changes to my availabilities. Dropping my day shift is like resigning and I don't want to inconvenience my employer or co-workers," Seokjin says. "You also haven't taken into consideration that I'll be losing nearly 50% of my income. I want my sons to attend a good school but I also have to pay bills and make enough money to feed them." He slips the contract back in the plastic sleeve and hands it to Mr Kim. "Like I said: I have to say no."

Taehyung is speechless because Seokjin didn't hesitate to turn down this offer. Criticising the contract due to one too many inconveniences is one thing, but ultimately rejecting it? Seokjin's brain must not be functioning properly today. There's a thing called negotiation.

"Would you reconsider signing this if I apply some changes which will be more convenient for you, your current employer, and your family?" Taehyung asks. He's not ready to give up because he needs things to work in accordance with his wishes. That includes peoples' decisions. "I'm happy to provide financial assistance as well so that you won't lose 50% of your income, and I can reschedule the commencement date so that you're able to give your current employer a two weeks' notice."

It's so tempting but Seokjin can't accept it no matter the amount of changes. "I'm really sorry but nothing will change my mind, sir," he says.

Now, Taehyung is getting quite annoyed. "Please explain why," he says.

At the end of the day, it really comes down to Seokjin's peace of mind. Cooking and housekeeping for five hours every weekday is most definitely not equivalent to thousands of dollars of school fees plus financial assistance. Seokjin can't take more than he gives without the guilt endlessly crawling through his veins. Taking that into account, Mr Kim surely has hidden intentions and Seokjin will not fall for it. Why would a person give so much for so little in return? Unless there's more to gain later on, but it's not guaranteed? Whatever it is, Mr Kim clearly hasn't stated all of the benefits that he will and may receive from this. There's no way it's merely because he's 'overloaded with school management work'.

"It's not worth it," Seokjin says, not knowing what else to say.

Taehyung is... shocked. "I'm sorry?" he says, brows furrowed. "It's not worth it?"

"You're offering too much for 25 hours a week," Seokjin says. "Plus, I'll still work at the restaurant on weeknights and weekends so that's 25 hours there and 25 hours for you. That's 50 hours a week in total. That's 12 hours overtime."

"How many hours a week do you work at the restaurant?" Taehyung asks.

"I don't think you have the right to know, sir," Seokjin says. He works 40 hours a week at the restaurant so that's 2 hours overtime but Mr Kim isn't entitled to know.

Taehyung inhales deeply, his patience running thin. "You get time-and-a-half pay if you work overtime," he says. Reasoning with this Seokjin is only getting more and more difficult. "Instead of providing financial assistance, I'll just pay the rent, water, electricity, and gas bills for you. How does that sound?"

"No thank you, but thank you for your time. I have to go now but I hope you have a great day," Seokjin says. He stands up, bows with respect, and walks towards the door.

Taehyung's eye is twitching because this Seokjin is not just strange but he's also really difficult. Seokjin is like a challenge that Taehyung constantly fails. Seokjin is like a game that Taehyung doesn't know how to win.

Wait... That's it! All Taehyung has to do is treat this like a game. Games have rounds or levels and they get harder as you go higher. Round 1 was approaching Seokjin (which was already hard because Seokjin was crying), Round 2 is persuading Seokjin to sign the contract, Round 3 is Seokjin actually showing up to work, Round 4 is Seokjin completing all the required tasks during his shifts, and Round 5 is the final which is Seokjin falling in love with Kriti and asking for her hand in marriage. This is perfect!

But how will Taehyung win Round 2?

By cheating, of course!

Seokjin would do anything for his family, right? Taehyung will just have to resort to manipulation. It's cruel but it gets the job done, just like how cheating [almost] always works.

"Mr Kim," Taehyung says as he stands up. "You might want to reconsider your decision."

Seokjin lets go of the door handle and turns around to face Mr Kim. "Why, sir?" he asks.

Taehyung already feels guilty but if it's the only way to get this done, so be it. "Your son has a scholarship, right?" he says, walking over to Seokjin. His heart is beating fast because he's incredibly nervous but he remains cool, calm, and collected. "I can take it away just as quick as I gave it."

Seokjin's eyes widen because he's absolutely horrified. He can't believe that the principal, of all people, is using coercion. This is unlawful, unprofessional, and outright cruel. If he had known that Mr Kim is one of those authority figures who abuse their power then he would have declined the scholarship. He knows the scholarship brought so much happiness for Jaemin but safety is just as important as happiness.

"Go ahead, sir. Take the scholarship away. I'll withdraw my son from this school and I'll file a report to the police saying that Kim College's principal tried to coerce me into signing a contract," Seokjin says, not the slightest bit impressed.

Taehyung mentally smacks himself multiple times for his own stupidity and also because he's really ashamed. Cheating [almost] always works. Almost.

"I don't know you personally so I didn't have any expectations of you but it's really disappointing to know that a principal is abusing his power. I hope you take some time to rethink your decisions and words," Seokjin says. He's about to open the door but Mr Kim doesn't let him.

"You can report me to the police but they can't do anything if they don't have sufficient evidence. I can destroy all evidence and act like nothing happened. The only 'evidence' they'll have is your words and that's not very valid," Taehyung says. He's not going to back down just yet because he doesn't have a Plan B. "Sign the contract. I'll adjust it according to your conditions."

Seokjin grits his teeth because he's extremely frustrated. Not only is Mr Kim really selfish and demanding, but he's also so damn confusing. Seokjin is tempted to report this to the police but he can't find the strength to do that because Mr Kim is still willing to change the terms and conditions for him. And, well, he doesn't want to go through another court case. It's like Mr Kim is taking away his freedom of choice but not entirely. It's so conflicting.

"Look," Taehyung says, and exhales deeply. "This agreement is mutually beneficial. You have no reason to turn it down because I'm not asking for much. If you—"

"Not asking for much?" Seokjin says, a blank expression on his face. "This housekeeper job requires me to drop all my weekday shifts at my current job."

"So?"

"I like my job at the restaurant."

"Okay. And?"

Seokjin huffs, in disbelief. He's at a loss for words. He feels like he's going to lose his mind because this guy is really persistent and annoying. Disagreeing and arguing are so not going to get him anywhere because talking to Mr Kim is like talking to a damn wall. This is a dead end. 

How the hell did this guy become a principal in the first place?

Well... If Mr Kim was really a bad person then this school wouldn't be doing so well. The students and staff look really happy. Jaemin's also happy and there's no way Seokjin can take that away without solid evidence that Mr Kim is evil. It would break Jaemin's heart.

There's no other choice, right? Seokjin will have to sign the contract. But only after the terms and conditions have been updated, and only if it will give him the freedom to back out of this whenever he wants to. He's not stupid.

"Fine. I'll do it. But I want to make a request first," Seokjin says, and folds his arms.

"I'm listening."

"You have to explicitly state in the terms and conditions that I have the right to terminate the contract at any moment."

Taehyung's glad Seokjin has verbally agreed to this deal but what happens after the contract is terminated? Does he stop paying for Seokjin's bills? Does Seokjin withdraw his sons from this school? What happens?

As if reading Taehyung's mind, Seokjin continues. "We can discuss what happens after we terminate the contract when it actually happens, but my kids can't get involved," he says. His expression is so serious that it's quite terrifying to say the least. "If you have a problem with me then deal with me but don't bring my sons into it. They have nothing to do with this."

"Deal," Taehyung says. He's worried that Seokjin will terminate the contract before the first shift but it's a risk he's willing to take if it means that Seokjin won't report him to the police. "Anything else?"

"No, but I won't sign it until it's updated. I'd also like a copy for myself once it's signed."

Taehyung nods. "I can do that. Are you able to return tomorrow to sign it? Same time?"

"Yes," Seokjin says. "I have to go now. Thank you for your time."

Taehyung nods and opens the door for Seokjin. He bids Seokjin a good day and shuts the door. He lets out a deep breath that he didn't know he was holding before he sits behind his desk to update the contract. He's glad this worked out but he's annoyed because things didn't go as planned. He hates when things don't go as planned even if he achieves his desired result because it makes him feel like he doesn't have control of the situation. He's even more annoyed because he has to wait two more weeks, but it's whatever. He can do it.

Seokjin wishes the office receptionists a great day on his way out of the main office. He can't help but sigh heavily because that was one weird and exhausting meeting. All he knows is that all men in power are the same. They abuse their power in every way possible and it doesn't matter what their profession is. Even the ones you don't expect happen to slip up at some point. It makes him ashamed to be a man because even though not all men are like that, most of them are.

It doesn't matter anymore. What's done has been done and what must happen will happen. Seokjin wanted to send his sons to this school and he's able to do that now. He's still doubtful of Mr Kim's intentions but as long as he's given the right to withdraw from this at any moment, he's safe. He just has to play his cards right.

-

"We're what?!"

Seokjin just told Eunho and Taeyoung that they'll be attending Kim College next week. All the three kids are shocked by this news because they never expected their dad to make such a decision—especially not this soon. They're also worried because Eunho and Taeyoung don't have any scholarships so their dad will need to cover the fees in full.

Eunho frowns. "I... I don't know."

"[Kor] You don't know what? I've completed the online enrolment forms and emailed it to the school. [Eng] It's too late to take anything back now," Seokjin says. He went to the school earlier today, carefully read the new contract to make sure that Mr Kim kept his word, signed it, and got a copy. Now he just needs to inform Donghyun about the changes to his availability.

The boys glance at each other. They're all excited because Kim College seems like a great school—judging by all the positive reviews on Google, Jaemin's perspective, and just the appearance of the place—but it's too much money. They just can't afford it.

Seokjin sighs heavily, knowing why his boys are worried. "Yes, I've seen the fees, but I've spoken to the principal and he was kind enough to extend the payment deadline for me. I've also found another job and it pays well."

Mr Kim may have asked Seokjin to sign a confidentiality agreement but it said nothing about twisting the truth.

"Appa, are you giving up your job at Donghyun samchon's restaurant?" Taeyoung asks.

"No, no. I'm still working with Donghyun samchon, Taeyoungie. I'm only going to this new job on weekdays," Seokjin says.

"What's this job, appa?" Jaemin asks.

"Babysitting," Seokjin answers, his ears reddening a little.

The boys don't fail to notice their dad's red ears and they instantly figure that he's lying.

"Babysitting?" Jaemin asks, unconvinced.

"Mhmm." Seokjin's voice is high-pitched and his ears are only getting redder.

"[Kor] Appa, tell the truth," Eunho whines.

"[Kor] I'm telling the truth! I'm going to work as a part-time babysitter. They're a rich family and they have two little kids. I saw the ad on Gumtree and applied for the job because I have a lot of experience with children."

The boys don't believe it but they won't push it. They'll find out sooner or later because their dad is horrible at keeping secrets. Their dad is good at everything except for one thing—lying to them.

"Do you trust me?" Seokjin asks his boys.

The three kids nod in response.

"Then trust me when I tell you that everything's going to be okay. We've survived for this long, haven't we?"

It's not going to be easy but they can make it through. If the kids could survive through their dad's terrible parenting some years ago, the entire family can survive through this personal financial crisis. Their dad has earned their trust and if he says that everything's going to be fine, they won't doubt him. They trust him.

There was a time when the boys only had each other because their dad... well, he wasn't much of a dad. They couldn't call him a father either because he didn't even do the bare minimum. They suffered in silence and comforted each other while he was absent due to reasons that only he knows (which definitely wasn't just work). They tried to justify his actions and behaviour but how could they when their so-called "dad" was neglecting them? It's like they didn't even exist to him.

But things have changed drastically over the years—almost as if life made a 180° rotation—and the boys couldn't ask for a better dad because there's none like Kim Seokjin.

The four Kims soon have lunch which includes the food that Seokjin cooked and stored in the fridge this morning and also some leftover mini pizzas that Jaemin brought from school. They make light conversation over lunch and share a few laughs and giggles. It's mostly Jaemin talking about what happened at school today and the happiness in his eyes is so evident that Seokjin can't help but be glad about his decision. Mr Kim may have done something very questionable yesterday but overall he's harmless so Seokjin doesn't regret signing the contract.

After lunch, Seokjin decides to give his mum a call. He tries to talk to her at least once every few days but she's always busy just like him since she's a nurse so they can go for weeks without speaking. He misses her a lot and he hopes to see her soon.

"[Kor] Yah! Kim Seokjin! Did you finally remember your mother?! Don't forget who raised you, you little rascal!" Seokjin's mum, Kim Hyesoo, yells over the phone as soon as she picks up.

Seokjin giggles. "Hello, eomma."

"Halmeoni!" the boys shout in unison by hearing their dad address their grandma.

"[Kor] Let me speak to my favourite boys!" Hyesoo orders in a playful tone.

"[Kor] I thought I was your favourite boy, eomma," Seokjin whines.

"[Kor] Not anymore. Now put me on speaker."

Seokjin sighs and puts his Nokia on speaker. "It's on."

"Hi, boys!" Hyesoo says loudly to her grandchildren.

The boys greet their grandma. Seokjin just stands there and listens to the conversation between his mum and kids. He called her to tell her about transferring the boys to Kim College but they're quicker to reveal the news to her. The boys always tell their grandma everything their dad was going to say but their dad never runs out of topics for a conversation with his mum. Once they were talking on the phone for at least an hour.

[Kor] "Jin-ah, is Kim College that school that is owned by a Korean? I think his name is Kim Taehyung?" Hyesoo asks her son, who hums in response. "How much are the fees?"

"It's cheap compared to most private schools. Families who have more than one child attending get discounts and concession holders get an extra 10% off. The principal said he'll take off another $400 from the total since Eunho and Taeyoung are going to miss the first two weeks of the term," Seokjin says. He says it in English so that his boys understand everything. "[Kor] It's very cheap for a private school close to the city."

Hyesoo hums, very happy to hear that the principal offered a lot of discounts. The last thing she needs is her son working 24 hours a day to afford tuition fees. "[Kor] How is the education? Do they teach well?" she asks.

"[Kor] Jaeminie said the education is at a high standard. The course structures are similar to a unit in university."

"[Kor] That's good. Send my best wishes to the boys. I'll visit during school holidays. If you need help with the fees, I will give you some money," Hyesoo says.

"Eomma..." Seokjin says, frowning. He has told his mum not to offer any financial help because he wants to be independent but she still does it.

[Kor] "Don't argue with me," Hyesoo says sternly, and then her tone softens as she says, "I love you, Seokjinnie."

Seokjin sighs. "[Kor] I love you too, eomma. Take care."

"[Kor] Take care," Hyesoo says. She also bids her grandsons goodbye and reminds them that they're her universe before she hangs up.

-

*All dialogue in this scene is spoken in Korean unless mentioned otherwise*

Seokjin takes the trash out at the end of the night. He holds his breath as he opens the waste bin and throws the garbage bag in. He continues to hold his breath and he exhales deeply once he's far away from the bins. Everyone's ready to leave by the time he's back in the restaurant so he grabs his belongings and follows Donghyun out.

Seokjin used to have a car but he sold it because there were too many financial responsibilities such as registration, insurance, maintenance, fuel, and so on. He started using public transport on the daily but he only travelled alone at night once. The boys were blowing up his phone that night because they were worried about him and they made him stay on the phone with them throughout his entire journey back home from work. He wasn't allowed to hang up until he was inside the house and in the boys' sight. They hugged him so tightly once he got home and he had to make a verbal agreement to take at least one of them with him to work every night. He took one son every night and they all took turns.

They did that for a few months but then Donghyun offered to take Seokjin home after work every night because it was just a lot safer and easier. Seokjin declined multiple times because he felt like he was troubling Donghyun but Donghyun is very persuasive so Seokjin eventually agreed. Since then, Donghyun has been driving Seokjin home after work every night.

"Jin-ah, you said you wanted to tell me something," Donghyun says as he and Seokjin walk to his car.

It takes a while for Seokjin to remember that he has to speak with Donghyun about dropping his morning shifts because of the other job. He's quite nervous because he doesn't know how to bring it up but he has to inform Donghyun about it.

"Yes, hyung," Seokjin says. "I'll tell you when we get inside."

They reach the car and hop inside. Donghyun plays some old Korean music before he starts driving. He turns the volume down a little so that he can talk to Seokjin.

"What did you want to tell me?" Donghyun asks.

Seokjin is really nervous but he takes a deep breath and answers. "Hyung, I was offered a job," he says.

Donghyun's eyebrows arch upwards in surprise but then a frown forms on his face because he's worried that Seokjin will be leaving the restaurant.

"It's a babysitting job for a rich family. They want me to babysit their kids during weekdays. They wanted me to start today but I said I have to speak with you first and give you a two weeks' notice," Seokjin says. He's going to tell the same lie to everyone.

Donghyun doesn't know how to feel. He knows he should be happy for Seokjin for being offered a job that will most likely pay better than this one but he doesn't want Seokjin to resign. Seokjin is not just his best employee but also one of his closest friends, and Seokjin is the only person at this restaurant who keeps the team spirit up. The employees used to have many disagreements and arguments but then Kim Seokjin came along and helped establish a camaraderie among the workers. The workplace is just so much more fun and lively when Seokjin is there.

"Are you going to leave the restaurant?" Donghyun asks, quite upset.

"No, hyung. I can still work weeknights and weekends. I love my job at your restaurant so I will never leave," Seokjin says, a smile on his face.

Relief washes over Donghyun because he definitely was not and never will be ready to say goodbye to Seokjin. "I'm happy for you," he says, and he truly means it. "Is the family nice?"

"Yes. They're really nice people. I think the kids will be a challenge but the parents are very kind," Seokjin says. He doesn't want to make everything seem perfect because perfect is fake, but he wants everyone to know that things will be okay.

Donghyun chuckles. "Kids are always a challenge."

Seokjin laughs lightly. "Yes. That's true."

Donghyun smiles in response and makes a turn at an intersection. There's a peaceful silence between him and Seokjin but that's only because he's thinking. He's thinking about what's best for Seokjin and he feels like he should give Seokjin the choice to start this new job sooner than later. If that job can pay better than this one then it's best for Seokjin to start as soon as possible.

"Seokjin-ah, you don't have to answer this if you can't, but will that new job pay well?" Donghyun asks.

"Yes, hyung," Seokjin says.

Donghyun purses his lips. He's reluctant but he has to put Seokjin's interests above his own. "If you want to start babysitting tomorrow then I will ask someone to cover for you," he says.

Seokjin isn't surprised because Donghyun has always been very lenient about his shift cancellations but this isn't just one shift—it's all future weekday shifts. "Are you sure, hyung? They said I can start in two weeks," he says.

"If they asked you to start today then it must be urgent, so I can let you start tomorrow if they need you," Donghyun says. "We have a lot of staff who want to work so it won't be a problem if you cancel your morning shifts. I wouldn't have let you cancel last minute if there's no one to cover for you."

That's true. That's probably one of the reasons why Donghyun has always been lenient about shift cancellations. There are quite a few employees who work at the restaurant so there's always someone available. It may be a small restaurant but it's incredibly busy so the more staff, the better.

"Thank you, hyung," Seokjin says. He'd rather not start tomorrow but since Donghyun is encouraging him to, he can't say no. "You have always been so kind to me. I'm really happy that you're my boss."

"That's why you should never leave me, okay? You're stuck with me forever," Donghyun says in a teasing tone, but he really does hope Seokjin will work with him for a long time.

They soon arrive at Seokjin's apartment and Seokjin wishes Donghyun a good night before getting out. Seokjin waits for Donghyun's car to leave his sight before he walks towards the entrance. He's about to head inside but he decides to send Mr Kim a text about the sudden change of plans.

Oh, right. He exchanged numbers with Mr Kim today so that they can contact each other closer to the commencement date. Who would've thought that the commencement date would be tomorrow?

SJ: Hello Sir
This is Seokjin
I am available to start work tomorrow if you need me to but I will need to finish before 3 because I have to pick my sons up from school
Thanks and Good Night

It takes a while for Seokjin to type the text since he has a feature phone. Once it's sent, he doesn't wait for a reply and heads to his apartment. He's just about to unlock the front door when he receives a text notification. He checks it and sees that it's from Mr Kim.

TH: See you tomorrow. Night.

Seokjin inhales deeply, rolls his eyes, and shoves his phone back in his pocket before he heads inside. The boys are playing Monopoly by the time he gets home and he takes a shower before he spends some time with them. They all have dinner together and then the boys head to bed since they have school tomorrow. Seokjin stays awake for a little longer and uses the computer to plan tomorrow's travel using the journey planner on the Public Transport Victoria website. Once he's done, he turns off the computer and goes to bed.

-

It takes about forty five minutes to get to Mr Kim's house by public transport and Seokjin has about another ten minutes to spare before his shift begins at 10AM. He observes the exterior of the two-storey house and he's mesmerised by the design and structure. The walls are of an achromatic colour scheme (black, greys, and white) and it's complemented by the synthetic green turf. Maybe Seokjin's overanalysing everything but he feels like there's always some kind of object that a person has which represents them or a part of them. In this case he feels like the achromatic colour scheme of the house's exterior represents Mr Kim's persona while the vibrant green of the synthetic turf could represent the very depths of his heart and mind.

The thing is, Seokjin knows that Mr Kim isn't a bad person. He had many doubts and he still has doubts but if Mr Kim had bad intentions then he wouldn't have applied changes to the contract or agreed to give Seokjin the right to withdraw at any moment. Mr Kim surely has hidden intentions but there's no way those intentions could be bad.

... Right?

Seokjin shakes any negative thoughts out of his head and walks up to the front door. Mr Kim said he'd be here to give Seokjin a small tour of the house and go through the basics.

Seokjin takes a deep breath and knocks on the door. It takes a while but Mr Kim opens it. Mr Kim is in his usual office attire—probably because he came from work or is about to leave to work.

"Good morning," Seokjin says.

"Morning," Taehyung mumbles, opening the door wider. He motions Seokjin to come in.

Seokjin walks inside and glances around as he observes the interior of the house. Similar to the exterior colour scheme, the interior is also achromatic. The walls are plain white, the furniture is black, and the tiles are grey.

"I'll show you around and then we'll go through the tasks," Taehyung says.

So, Taehyung shows Seokjin around the house. The first floor is an open-plan living room, kitchen, and dining area. The living room has only an L-shaped sofa, a coffee table, and a wall-mounted TV with no TV unit. The dining room has a small round dining table with just one chair. The kitchen is just a kitchen but it looks so empty because there's literally nothing besides a glass next to the sink, the microwave, and a dustbin. The first floor also has an empty guest bedroom with no furniture, a toilet, a bathroom, and a laundry room with a storage cupboard. The only 'decoration' the first floor has is a clock but it doesn't even work.

They then go to the backyard and there's a locked shed, a swimming pool, and more synthetic grass. There are no plants or flowers at all. It's simple and neat yet so plain. It doesn't even require any gardening.

And then they head upstairs. It's even worse. There are four bedrooms but two of the doors are locked because they're occupied (one by Mr Kim and the other by—according to Mr Kim—his family friend?), and the other two are empty like the guest bedroom. There's also a bathroom and a toilet but they look like they haven't been used in months. This house is like a ghost town.

Seokjin is tempted to ask why Mr Kim bought a 5-bedroom house if only two people occupy it but it's none of his business and he doesn't really care. His job is going to be way too easy, though. He feels like it won't be worth the free schooling and the assistance with utility bills but Mr Kim insisted so he did this to himself. Seokjin won't feel bad for something that was out of his control. 

That's a lie. He'll feel bad regardless. 

They head back downstairs once the tour's done and Taehyung grabs a folded paper out of his pocket. He hands it to Seokjin and Seokjin goes through it. It's a list of duties that he's required to do like stated in the contract but this one has been elaborated. It also includes preparing a grocery list and he has to purse his lips to suppress a laugh. He can't help but wonder how this guy functioned for so long if he can't even create a grocery list. 

"These are your jobs for today. I expect them to be done and you to be gone before 3PM," Taehyung says.

"I'll get them done and I'll be gone before three," Seokjin says.

"Good. I'm going to work now but my family friend will be home in a few hours. Don't let her do any work because I pay you—not her. Make sure the house is spotless but don't go into my room. You won't be able to go in anyway because the door's always locked. You can eat and drink all you want and you're allowed to take home food for your family. If you have nothing to do then find something to do. There are cameras installed so I'll know if you're slacking. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, sir," Seokjin says. He hasn't even started working but having to listen to Mr Kim repeating himself over and over again is exhausting.

"Good," Taehyung says, and leaves without another word.

Seokjin waits for the door to shut before he lets out a deep breath. This house is huge for two people and there's barely anything in it but there's so much dust and spider webs that need removing so that will take at least half of his shift. First, however, he checks the fridge to see what ingredients there are. There's barely anything inside aside from some frozen meals and vegetables so he'll just have to combine the two and make something simple. He can't make anything new with what's in the fridge (which is almost nothing).

Cooking won't take any longer than an hour and Mr Kim clearly stated that he needs the food fresh by the time he gets home so Seokjin leaves cooking to last. He decides to do the cleaning first as he grabs a reusable mask from his bag and puts it on. He then looks for some cleaning equipment in the storage cupboard. There's an extendable cobweb duster so he grabs that and begins removing spiderwebs. And, heck, there is a lot.

-

It's around 1:30PM and Seokjin's combining a frozen meal with some fresh vegetables when he hears the front door opening. He turns around and he finds a gorgeous lady with brown skin walking in. The lady is taken aback by the sight of Seokjin but she instantly recognises him as Seokjin Kim, the new "housekeeper", and she gives him a warm smile.

"Hi! You must be Seokjin?" Kriti asks as she approaches him slowly.

"That's me!" Seokjin says with a grin, and holds out a hand for a handshake. "It's really nice to meet you, ma'am."

"It's nice to meet you too, and please call me Kriti."

Kriti smiles broadly as she exchanges a gentle handshake with Seokjin. She feels so relaxed and at peace with a lively person standing under this roof. Seokjin, on the other hand, can't help but wonder how someone like Mr Kim is living with someone like Kriti. They're the complete opposite and it only took one greeting for Seokjin to recognise that.

"Taehyung told me that you'll be starting work today. I hope he's not being too hard on you," Kriti says, genuinely concerned and worried.

"No, no. It's a piece of cake. I personally think cleaning is therapeutic," Seokjin says, and gives a warm smile.

"Same! It's really relaxing, don't you think? I used to hate cleaning because my mum always nagged me to do it but I've grown to enjoy it."

Seokjin chuckles. "My mum was like that too when I lived with her but now I clean voluntarily. I don't really have a choice, anyway."

Kriti laughs lightly and Seokjin smiles. They only just met but they both feel comfortable around each other already. Kriti enjoys Seokjin's presence because he brings positive energy into this dull house and Seokjin enjoys Kriti's presence because she just seems like a wonderful person to be around.

"How about I make you some tea or coffee?" Kriti asks.

"Oh, that's okay! I don't want to trouble you, but thank you so much," Seokjin says, declining politely.

But Kriti is persistent. "Have you ever tried masala chai? It's an Indian tea that has some spices and herbs. I'm not a big tea fan but my mum makes the best chai, I swear."

"I've tried those chai latte packets you find in grocery shops but I've never tried homemade chai," Seokjin says. He's tempted to try some proper masala chai now.

"Then can I make you some? I won't take no for an answer!"

Seokjin chuckles. "Oh, alright. If you insist," he says. He could use a light refreshment.

Kriti grins happily and grabs out the necessary ingredients such as tea leaves, cardamom, ginger, and so on. Seokjin watches with fascination as Kriti makes some homemade chai. He makes a mental note on the ingredients and such so that he can make some chai at home for his boys. He enjoys Indian food so he has no doubt that Indian beverages are just as delicious. He's always looking to try dishes from all over the world.

"Taehyung said you have three sons. What are their names?" Kriti asks while making the chai.

Seokjin's eyes light up and the broadest smile forms on his face at the mention of his boys. Kriti doesn't fail to notice this. It's almost as if Seokjin's eyes have transformed into two diamonds.

"There's Jaemin, Eunho, and Taeyoung. 15, 14, and 12 respectively. Well, Jaemin's birthday has passed so he's already 15 but the other two are going to be turning 14 and 12 this year," Seokjin answers.

"Aw! That's cute! That means they're all in high school this year, right?" Kriti asks.

"Yep," Seokjin says, popping the p. "But they're still babies to me."

Kriti smiles, in awe. She loves kids but she doesn't want her own because they're a huge responsibility. Maybe someday she'll be ready to have them but that someday definitely isn't today because raising a kid doesn't look easy. Raising three, though, has got to be a nightmare—especially if they're around the same age.

"Hey, what kind of food do you like?" Seokjin asks. "There's not much I can do today with what's in the fridge but I'll make something of your choice next time."

Kriti's feels a warmth spread along her chest because Seokjin is just so sweet. Usually it takes her a long time to trust men but Seokjin is an exception. He's one of the very few men who don't have her on high alert when they're around. She feels comfortable in his presence and that's not something that happens very often.

Taehyung, too, actually. Taehyung's a jerk but he has never made Kriti feel uneasy in his presence. He often picks fights over trivial things but otherwise, he minds his own business. Most of the time it's like he's not even there anyway. He's the world's biggest dᎥckhead but he's not malicious otherwise.

"How about I bring some groceries from IGA and we can make lunch together?" Kriti suggests.

"I don't know... I don't want to trouble you," Seokjin says, feeling bad.

"It's seriously fine. I'm sure Taehyung would appreciate it too because he always complains when he eats that stuff," Kriti says, and laughs lightly.

Seokjin looks at the frozen meal he's been preparing and decides that maybe it really is best to get some groceries so that he can make a fresh meal from scratch. He's getting paid generously to do this job so he may as well do it right.

"Come on. Tell me what you need and I'll go bring them," Kriti says.

And so, after some convincing, Seokjin and Kriti make lunch together.

thank you to everyone who supports this and im so glad you all dont mind the slow-paced development <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

111K 5.6K 75
[completed] When Jeon Jungkook, a college student moves into an apartment, he isn't expecting to run into Kim Taehyung, a famous model, who owns the...
62.4K 3.5K 41
You and Jin knew each other in high school. You both graduate and assume you'll never see him again. A few months later, during freshman year of coll...
11.9K 852 35
"I should be hating you, for the things you do to break people apart, but in this process of hating you, when did I fell in love with you!!!" "Can s...
33K 2K 43
Jin lived a hard life, one where misunderstandings surrounded him always. His parents didn't understand him and his brother never helped him but it g...