The Gifted Hybrid

By gifted_nerd

BOOK 1 in The Hybrid Series After the tragic lost of her mom, 17 year-old Zoe Hyland has to deal with being a... More

Just A Hunch
A Long Bus Route
Camp Spirit
Protection
Powerless
I'm Sorry
First Gift
Your Special
Fast Learner
No Way In
First Attempt
Second Gift
Flashback
Full Moon
Just Try
Its You
Thank You
Book 66
A Sign
Darkness
Our Secret
The Dream
Believe Me
Bad Manners
Questions
See The Truth
You'll See
Relation
An Idea
Good Poison
Practice Makes Perfect
Instinct vs Reflex
Just Talk
Triggered
Settled In
A Leader
Metal Eyes
Feelings
Visions Told Truth
Nervous Is Good
Powerful
Marked
Real Deal
A Choice
Author's Note
Next Book Reveal
ITS TIME!!!
Checking in...
THANK YOU!

A Favor

1.1K 39 5
By gifted_nerd

Monday

The next morning everyone was up and ready. Margaret asked us all to meet in the classroom and I had a feeling I knew exactly why. My mind began to come up with all types of questions that needed answering and it knew exactly who to ask. Susan and Stacey were coming today and I needed to get as much questions answered as I possibly could.

As if on cue, I stepped out of the cold room into the even colder hallway and everyone else came walking down the hall toward the steps.

"Hey Zo" My eyes widened as Chelsea came speed walking up too me. Her hair held tight curls and she wore glossy pinkish lipstick, it made her bright blue eyes pop even more along with the mascara.

"Hey, what's up?" I ask her but her face reads paranoia, "what's wrong?"

She looks back, "can you somehow take away the mating season of werewolves?" She gives a nervous laugh.

"What?" I cough, nearly choking on air.

We all head down the steps, we reach the bottom and I look back. Walking close behind is Xan, Alex and James. James whispers something to Alex and they all start laughing put loud. I squint my eyes, their top fangs show even more in their mouths and they seem to have grown longer since coming here. Maybe it is mating season. Hope that type of thing doesn't affect me. But what would mating have to do with growing?

"Your talking about James" I laugh.

"Its not funny, he wants- you know" her face redens

"What, you don't?" I look back at them and my eyes meet Xanders. He smiles and I return the same.

He's not yours Zoe, Mia likes him you know? Your best friend? I shake my head to rid my thoughts.

"Um no I do, I mean no I don't. I just- not right now that's all. This is definitely not a place for that type of commitment and plus we just met" her eyes scan the empty space in front of us. Who would've thought Chelsea would get nervous over something like this?

We head into the class and my eyes scan the room and land on Susan's, her face brightens and she stands up from her seat. Stacey stays put in her seat to her left.

Before I take my usual seat on the left of the room, "well Chels your the girl, your in control so whatever you say goes. Just tell him how you really feel" I say before I take my seat.

To my surprise, she takes the empty seat next to me.

She nods, "okay"

"Hey Chels" James calls to her and waves her over. I look at her and she forces a small smile and shakes her head before she gets up and slowly trudges over to sit next to him. She gets comfortable in the seat and folds her arms while he wastes no time in stretching his arm across the back of her seat. He leans over and tells her something in her ear and she bites her lip before pushing him away.

"Lovebirds huh?" Mia says, she sits in the seat next to me. I nod

"Where were you this morning?" I ask her. She had left before I even woke up.

"I was just, in the media room again looking up some things" she explains not making any eye contact with me.

I don't remove my eyes from her face, "are you sure?"

She turns her head so fast I think it just might fall from her body, "what do you mean? Yes I'm sure"

"Okay" I look toward the front of the class, I don't want to get on her bad side right now so I just leave it alone for now. Besides, I don't know if Xan was in the room with her or if anyone else was there either.

After everyone makes there way to the room and sits in there intented seat, Marg begins to explain today's routine. Which means, I have no intentions of practicing by myself anymore. Well....not today. Ava and Madison sit to the left along with Mia and I. Everyone else crowds to the right of the room as always.

"As you guys can see, Susan is here today and she will be here for a day or two this week" Marg begins, her eyes scan the room and land on me before she continues.

"We are going out to practice and Susan will do the same thing she did before with you guys if you don't mind"

"How many times do we have to have this body examination?" Grace asks from the back of the room.

"Well, it's just a safety measure. I just want to make sure you guys are in perfect condition to practice and things" she looks at me again.

"We will not be using Zoe's gifts yet until I know for sure it's safe for her and for you guys"

"Use her blood?" Susan speaks up.

"Yes, they came up with the idea to use her special powers to test their limits and go beyond to get stronger and practice more" Marg explains to her. By the end of her sentence, Susan looks like she just saw a ghost.

"Is that safe?" She asks.

"I'm sure it won't get as out of hand as you may see it Susan, trust me. I won't let it" she turns back to the class, "now let's head out to practice, everyone will work together. Understood?"

Everyone says yes in unison before they get up from their seats. The chairs and talking causes a fit of small noises before they head toward the door. I get up and so does Mia, she heads straight toward the crowd and I see she starts talking to Grace and Will.

"Hey Zo" I turn to Stacey, she smiles and pulls me in for a hug. Then Susan comes over and does the same.

She pulls away, "how are you?"

"I'm okay, I spoke to my Dad the other day also" I told her.

"That's good, listen I really want to talk to you-"

"I know" she closes her mouth, "I need to talk to you also. Its okay, just save me for last" I nod.

She gives a bright smile, "alright Zoe"

"Besides, there really isn't anything to examine anyway right?" I say to her and she agrees.

I leave the room and head for the back door to the courtyard.

"James I'm not playing with you, no fornication in this building on anywhere in the woods or outside behind the building, no where and you can let your buddies know also" Marg tells him and he chuckles

"Its a joke Marg" he wraps an arm around her shoulder. John comes walking up to them and removes his arm from her. He holds up his hands in surrender and backs away, smiling before he heads out into the yard.

"He's ridiculous, we may need to split them up by gender" she shakes her head.

I have not a say so when it comes to werewolves during mating season. I am part wolf and I have no idea if I'll go through the same thing. I don't even know if my parents did. Well of course, that's how I got here but they come from two completely different species. Marg should've expected this from the beginning, I guess it never occurred to her since she's only Fairy. But then what happens to me? Who will be the one to choose me as their mate?

"I'm heading out" I smile to them before I hand for the door handle.

"Hey Zo, I need a favor" she looks from me to Joh and back to me, "it's about your friends. Help them get their mind off of some things"

"What do you mean?"

"Give them a challenge, I know I said not to use your powers but they need a change that's all I ask" she bites her lip, nervousness runs across her expression.

"Mm, I'll try" I mumble before heading out the door to the yard where everyone else is crowded. They all spread out and some hold conversations with another. I stand and think for a second, an idea for what I could do but nothing came to me. I wish it could come easy just as it did yesterday.

I look to my right, at Will over by his self on the grass. My feet began to move toward him, my mind not knowing where I could be going with his.

"Hey" I look down at him, he opens one eye then the other and they stretch wide.

"Zo, wassup?" He moves back and I plop down on the grass in front of him.

"I want you to see if you can read me" I tell him and he opens his mouth but closes it back. He stares at me for minutes too long and I wonder if he'll say no.

"Alright" he shrugs and I breath.

"What should I do?" I ask him. His dark blue eyes sparkle for a minute. He runs a hand through his dark brown hair and over the back of his neck.

He chuckles, "nothing, just try not to kill me with your special gift"

I shrug, "fair enough" he leans forward. Almost too close and my eyes widen before he places his hands on my shoulders. I don't close my eyes, his face inches from mine now. He gives my shoulders the lightest squeeze and his eyebrows come together. I don't know what he's doing but I can't feel a thing, all I can feel is my powers trying to surface. It wants me to use it, too release it of its will but I can't. Not right now.

"Zoe, everything is blurry its kind of unreadable maybe because your powers" he opens his eyes and leans back on his palms.

"Yeah, can you see anything at all?" I ask him, hoping for a yes or even a maybe.

"Um yeah, I can see your Mom and Dad" he sits up straight and looks me dead in the eyes, "I can see how much they love each other and how much they cared and loved you"

I nod and look out into the distance, between the tree lines. The breeze picks up just a little and the sun shines down on us all giving a bright light which cause me to shield my eyes before the light is gone. Hiding away behind a cloud.

"That's all Zo, your gift is blocking me from seeing anything else" he finishes but doesn't move.

"Alright" I smile at him and begin to stand

"Will!" Grace calls to him but he falls back onto the grass and spreads out his arms like the clouds are coming down toward the ground to hug him like they do the sun.

I head over to everyone else. My eyes caught Madison as she slowly walks toward Ava. So I go to her, hoping to catch her before she reaches her best friend.

"Hey Maddy" I cheese.

She laughs, "let me guess, you want a spell or something. Or no maybe you want to know if I've seen your Mom which I'm totally okay with telling you" she finishes, waiting for my response.

I bite my lip, "have you?"

She shakes her head, "not since the day of the attack with that stupid annoying device" she rolls her eyes.

I smile at her, it's so nice to see that she's in her comfort zone now. Shes comfortable enough to talk to everyone, especially since the first day we came here.

"And what exactly happened? Did she want to tell me something important?" I asks.

She looks to the ground, her eyebrows together in thought. I wait patiently for her to answer.

"I think it was like a warning, I could kind of feel it" she finally looks up at me.

"A warning? A warning for what exactly?" I'm curious now.

Was it for the incident that happened before she rushed outside to me? Or is it for something else?

"I have no idea, but I knew it was her Zo. I could feel it, like every time she comes around I know it's her and she wants to be able to communicate with you but she doesn't know how" she explains.

"Madison!" Margaret calls to her for the exam. She smiles before she jogs toward her and they head into the building.

I stand there by myself and think about Mom. She wants to communicate with me but she doesn't know how? Why couldn't I be gifted with the power of communication with the passed? It would make sense since I lost her. The only other person who took care of me beside my Dad. Maybe it was Mom trying to get my attention with the book in the media room. No, it couldn't be. It just doesn't feel like her.

I can feel the heat in my palms and I close them tight. The darkness in my veins wants to be used more and more the closer we get to the full moon and even though I have no idea when the next one is, I can feel that its soon.

I close my eyes and breath, the voices in my head will drive me insane if I don't do what the powers want. My eyes snap open and I spot Dylan and Christian talking to Jake. I swallow before making my way over to them.

When I reach them, they stop talking. I let out a breath.

"Hi" I look from Dylan, to Christian and to Jake.

"Hey Zoe, you okay?" Jake speaks and Dylan looks from Christian to me.

"Race me" I say out of the clear blue.

"What?" Dylan steps closer and I fidget where I stand.

"Let's race, me against you guys" I point from myself to them.

"And what's racing going to determine?" Christian folds his arms and smiles.

"Nothing, it'll just be practice" I tell them. I turn to head all the way down to the far right end of the giant yard. Someone comes up behind me.

"You feeling okay Zo?" Jake asks me.

"I'm fine, I just want to race that's all" I tell him.

"And how exactly will it be fair for three guys to race a girl?" Dylan asks, him and Christian come up behind me.

I shake my head and we reach the end of the lawn. The rest of the students are so far away from us now.

"Why does gender matter? If I lose, then I lose" I roll my eyes, maybe this was a bad idea.

"I'm not doing this" Jake says before he starts walking away.

"Why? It'll be fun" Dylan holds his arms out and Christian laughs leaning over to tighten his shoes.

"Because I have a feeling that you guys are going to lose" he winks at me and I smile, "plus I'm going to tell everyone to get out of the way and I'll be at the end when you guys get there" he storms away in a hurry, almost like a flash. His black clothes look like dark smoke around his body, almost like a Dhampyr.

"So you plan on using your powers?" Christian asks me.

I nod, "why you guys scared?"

They don't say anything after that. They stand about five feet away from me on each side. We all stretch before we get into the racing stance on the ground.

"You guys ready?" I can hear Jake say from the other end of the grass now. He looks so small and everyone else stands off to the side waiting for us to finish.

On your mark

I close my eyes. Its silent, theres not an animal or leaf or the slightest bit of breeze that comes into my hearing. I allow the midnight blood to come to me, I let it work it's way all over my body.

Get set

It reaches my heart and the beat of it speeds. My palms are hot and my body is ready to go. My eyes snap open and everything comes to me. The sounds around me, and the guys to my right and to my left. I smirk to myself.

Go!

We all take off, the wind courses through my every body part, my hair blows behind me. Every things goes by me in a blur. The trees create a brown wall to my right against the green grass. My breath is steady and I don't feel tired. A smile forms at my lips, the energy I felt yesterday has returned. Jake draws closer, only he isn't moving, I am. We are, as I look to my left and my right, Dylan and Christian struggle to keep up and I'm not even the slightest bit of tired. I haven't even gone at my fastest speed yet so I do. And the faster I go, the more things disappear in my peripheral vision.

I reach the end of the grass and my body comes to a complete stop on its own. I've passed Jake and stopped at the trees that line the other end of the forest. I let out a breath and turn around.

"Jesus Zoe" Jake face is all white. He looks shocked and surprised at the same time and I smile before turning to Christian and Dylan who just made it to the end at the same time.

They lean over, trying to catch their breaths.

"What the hell Zo!" Dylan yells. I walk toward them and he falls back on the ground and crawl away from me.

Christian finally catches his breath, he has his hands on his waist and his shoulders move up and down as he stares at me.

"Zoe" Jake comes to me and puts a hand on my shoulder.

I close my eyes and the darkness goes away quickly with so much as a laugh because it won. I allowed it too win.

"Zoe!" John calls from about twenty feet away. It's my turn to get the exam.

I turn and look over at Christian and Dylan, "still think it's not fair to race a girl?" I give them my best smile.

Dylan shakes his head and sits on the grass.

"That was pretty cool I have to admit" Christian chuckles to himself.

I shake my head before I head toward John. He waits for me by the stairs. I can hear Jake laugh at his friends as I'm walking father away from them. I see that everyone else is sitting at the tables and eating something.

"That was amazing Zo" Madison said

"When did you guys get the snacks?" I ask.

"Margaret brung them out when I was finished my exam" she says.

I nod, "how did you do that Zoe?" Mia asked.

Everyone at the table looks at me, "the running? That was nothing, you guys should see what I can really do" I stick my hands into Mia's chips and pull out a couple before stuffing them into my mouth. If it's one thing I've learned, that after using my gift it makes me really hungry.

"Thanks Mia" I say before heading to the building. I see that John has already disappeared and Susan waits for me at the doors.

"Hey Zo, how was practice?" She holds the door open for me and I walk through.

"It was okay" I tell her and she nods.

We head toward the same classroom she was in last time. I hold the door open for her this time, we step into the room and I make my way to the table again to sit. She comes over and pushes the rolling chair toward the table.

"What should we do Zoe? I see you've gained alot of confidence since first coming here. You were shy the first time I came here to do this" she explains.

"Yeah" I chuckle, "guess that time has passed now" I run a hand through my hair.

She sits back in the seat she's in and folds her arms, looking at me.

"You want to try this thing again Zo? The exam?"

"Sure" I say, preparing myself to let her in as much as I can.

She rolls in front of me and I scoot to the edge of the table. I hold out my hands for her and she gives me a reassuring smile before she touches me and closes her eyes. I do the same, I don't know why but I do and I try to keep myself calm enough so that the blood that runs through my veins doesn't pressurize itself and reaches the most important parts of me that could block anyone else out.

She removes her hands, opens her eyes and looks at me.

"Well Zoe, there's definitely nothing wrong with you like I've said before" she rolls away from me again leaning back in the chair and rubbing her hands against her thighs.

"Zoe tell me, what does this gift feel like? Does it feel bad or good? Does it hurt?" She questions.

I sit up straight, "no it feels good actually. Like I was always meant to have this power, it's like freedom only it wishes to be freed even when I will it not too"

"Well your not wrong about that Zo, you were meant to have this power" she says.

"What does, pain and sorrow awakened my spark means?" I ask her even though I have the perfect idea of what it means.

"You should know Zo, your the one with the spark. The pain and sorrow your Mom caused you when she passed has aloud you to gain such a powerful gift"

"And what about other people? They could have these gifts can't they?"

"They aren't hybrid Zoe" she finishes.

I was the one to open my mouth and close it back this time not knowing what to say.

"Can you show me how strong you can get Zoe?" She asks out of the clear blue.

"What?"

"How strong can you get? Show me" she stands and walks to stand right in front of me.

"No, I can't hurt you Susan. I could never-"

"Not the answer I'm looking for" she tells me.

"Well I can't show you how strong I can get because I grow stronger. It doesn't stop" I tell her and a smile plays at her lips.

"It will, and that was the answer I was looking for" I smile, "anything else Zo?"

I think about the poem and the book in the media room. I think about what Madison told me about Mom, and about the dream I had of her killing also thinking that maybe I should save those for another time.

"No I don't think so" I hop off the table and fix my clothes before I head for the door alongside my childhood other Mom, I smile remembering the memory she gave me.

"Okay"

"Wait, there is one thing" I feel my pockets and remember I brought the knife down with me but I hadn't used it. I pull it out my pocket and hold it in my hands.

"What is it?"

I hold it out in my hand so she can see it, "it's a dagger, it was a Dhampyrs dagger as a weapon and now I use it as my weapon"

She closely examines it and her eyes widen in shock, "Zo, this is rare"

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"I've seen this type of knife before. It was their weapon and its original color is red. I've seen the design and-" she stops

"No one has ever done this before, it's rare. You can take someone else weapon and turn it to your own" she smiles, "that's incredible and powerful"

A/N: this chapter probably sucks but I love you guys so here it is :)) thank you for almost 1.3k views.

I just want to know who do you guys see Zoe with? Who do you think would choose her as their mate? Doesn't have to be a werewolf

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

220K 8.3K 60
[COMPLETED] BOOK ONE of the LACKING HUMANITY SERIES * * * In a cold and damped cell lies a young she-wolf whose life is controlled by scientists. All...
144K 7.8K 41
Meredith had always known about magic. Her family was magic, one of the most powerful mage lines out there. Having lost her parents to all the fighti...
4.5K 253 34
Quirky, Ricky Vera is unexpectedly sent to Durango, Colorado to spend the summer with his uncle. The fourteen-year-old's last-minute trip does nothi...
9.5K 583 54
On the day I turned 18 I was pulled out of the foster program I had been in since age 3. I was told by my foster parents, Chuck and Courtney that m...