Out of The Blue

Od pseudoannie

(Complete) When Tim Burke meets Julie at a party, she isn't impressed. When they see each other again, Julie... Více

1990s
1 - Julie Dempsey
2 - Tim Burke
3 - Which Mother?
4 - Ice Cream
5 - A Date
6 - Run Away
7 - A Girlfriend
8 - Maine
9 - Heart and Soul
10 - Upta Camp
11 - Garden Party
12 - All American
13 - It wasn't you
14 - The Nurses
15 - Sleeping Arrangements
16 - Women
Author's note
18 - Think what you want
19 - He's gone
20 - Family
21 - Sleepless
22 - Laugh at my jokes
23 - Goodbye
24 - Perfect
2000s
25 - A-minus
26 - Matched
27 - Commencement
28 - All work
29 - Benefits
30 - Not like home?
31 - The way life should be
32 - My dog
33 - The dinner guest
34 - Dr. Muscles
35 - A shoulder
36 - Calling in a favor
37 - Home
38 - A New Year
39 - Gone
40 - Chapped lips
41 - A Housewife
42 - Wanna Bet?
43 - Doctor, doctor, doctor
44 - Tame her
45 - Cali
46 - Later

17 - Some Vacation

2.2K 192 22
Od pseudoannie

Bernie didn't come back until almost noon. When he arrived, he was with the waitress who wore shorts and a bikini top.

Clare watched them get out of the car. "What's Tammy doing here?"

Tim looked at his little sister. "Do you know her?"

"She watched us a couple of summers ago."

Every summer, his parents hired a babysitter to watch the kids when mum worked. They usually chose a college kid. Nick ran over to her calling. "Tammy!"

Tim had thought she looked familiar.

"Small town." Artie looked amused.

Kate said, "Looks like Julie has some competition."

Tim looked for Julie, but she was in the cabin. She had been quiet all morning. He felt like they had a fight but didn't know why. Clare stared at Tammy, who was draped over Bernie. Her look and the fact that she asked where Bernie was first thing led him to believe his little sister had fallen for his charm, too.

Nick had a crush on Jules and Clare had one on Bernie. Julie was giving him the cold shoulder and the other two couples were acting like they were in heat with his siblings looking on. His vacation was going downhill fast.

He had mentioned to his mother he would bring the kids home in exchange for a meal. His intention was to bring Julie but only if she wanted to go. He went to find her to ask.

She was reading on the sofa. "Jules, are you all right?"

"Fine."

He sat down beside her and took her hand and brought it to his lips. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I just need a break from being with everyone."

"Everyone or just me?" His heart hurt like he was losing her.

"Everyone."

Was he part of everyone?

"Bernie's back. The waitress used to babysit for the kids."

She nodded but was staring at her book.

"Do you want me to leave you so you can read?"

She nodded and he reluctantly left and joined the others. He wanted to take the boat out again but wasn't sure about anything. What did he do? Was he losing her?

She watched Tim leave. She didn't want him to, but she was afraid that he was going to finally realize she wasn't in his league and leave her.

When he kissed her hand, it sent shivers down her arm. She felt butterflies any time they were close. Not the nervous kind but the exciting ones which made her feel in places in her body she shouldn't. Maybe her father was right - men, like Tim, don't marry girls like her.

She kept to herself most of the day. Oddly, the only person who noticed beside Tim was Clare.

"Nick's busy with his new girlfriend, but he needs to fight Bernie."

Julie felt sorry for Clare because Bernie's name came out like a sigh. Poor Clare. She knew about unrequited love since she had it with Danny through high school.

Her conversation with Tim the night before somehow brought her back to Kevin and Danny. She wanted to talk to her brother about her confusion. She depended on him and had her whole life much like Clare and Nick always depended on Tim. The difference was Kevin would not always be there for her.

She wanted to call him, but even if it wasn't long distance, he was at work. She was glad Clare went back outside to moon over Bernie because the tears started and she wasn't sure they'd stop. She was crying about her brother.

She tried to hide her face from Tim when he came in to check on her. He sat down on the edge of the sofa. He didn't ask why she was crying. Instead, he stretched out and spooned her on the narrow sofa as he had in the bed. His strong arms felt comforting. He kissed her head and tried to soothe her.

She gained control of her tears. "Jules, will you come home with me for dinner tonight. If you want, we can stay over or you could if you want space from me."

"I need you, but I know you'll leave me."

"Jules, why would I leave you? I love you."

"But I'm not like your other girl and you'll get tired of waiting for me."

"I'll wait two years for you until I'm done with school."

"Two years is a long time, you'll find..."

"I won't find anyone else!" He was adamant, as if he was angry.

"If something happened before I'd be everything my father thinks I am."

This time his voice was angry. "Julie, I'm sorry but your father is a jerk. You will never be what he says. He's a miserable bag of hot air. Come home with me and my parents will remind you that you belong. They love you. I love you. We both know Nick loves you. Clare does too."

"Clare loves Bernie."

Tim groaned. "You noticed. How about you turn and face me? Maybe if you let me kiss you, you'll see how much I love you."

Julie turned to face him. She needed his kiss. "Do you mean how much I love you?"

"Both is fine with me."

He kissed her gently, but she longed for more she felt passion rise and the kiss intensified. It ended only with the slam of the screen door.

Kate said, "Don't mind me. Keep making out. I'll be in the bathroom."

Julie laughed while burying her face in Tim's neck.

"I love your laugh." He went back to kissing her.

Julie went home with Tim. She didn't mind coming back to sleep in the bunk room. The beds were comfortable enough.

It didn't take long before Mrs. Burke turned to Julie. "Julie, you look tired. I'd never guess you were on vacation."

Julie smiled but felt tears because Tim's mother cared enough to pick up her lackluster mood.

"Come sit in the living room with me and maybe later we'll get Tim to play the piano."

Julie followed her, but went to the piano to study the pictures. "Do you have any pictures of Tim's old girlfriends?"

She chuckled. "Tim never brought any other girl home. He fancied a few in high school. He even took one to the prom, but they were never a couple."

"Really?"

She nodded. "I'm sure if you ask Tim he'll tell you. He's been in Boston for a lot of years, so there have probably been others, but no one he wanted to bring home. What's this really about?"

Julie shrugged. "I don't belong here."

She laughed. Julie didn't think it was funny.

"Darling, we all took a vote and have decided you do."

"But."

"But nothing. You and Tim remind me of when John and I fell in love. You have a real connection. You have so much more than butterflies and passion. Your relationship isn't only based on physical things like your friends."

"How do you know?"

"What? That my son is respecting you? Because you are happy holding hands unlike your friends who are always touching in ways that make others feel like they're intruding."

Julie was at a loss for words. The older woman was very astute. "My father says awful things to me, I don't want to become a..." Whore, slut, unworthy of a white dress.

"Oh darling, I'm not encouraging you, but it's the nineties now. Most couples get to know each other before marriage. There is no shame in it. Tim has two more years."

How could she be saying it would be all right when her father thought the opposite? Maybe because Tim was her son. "Would you say the same thing if I were Clare?"

"Of course. I know you have had a lot to deal with this summer, but you're not alone. Tim would do anything for you as would John and I."

Julie found herself in a comforting embrace. When they walked into the other room, she walked over to Tim and put her arms around him.

He whispered. "Do you feel better?" She smiled at him and he said, "Want to play piano?"

When Julie woke in her own bed on Sunday morning, she was glad. Her vacation week had not gone as planned. First, she was overly emotional and then she had the embarrassment of sharing a bathroom with three men when she had her period. The fact they were called doctor didn't matter to her.

Tim had more patience than Julie deserved. She had her emotional tirades, and he was kind even though she didn't deserve it. He never made fun of her but tried to make her laugh.

It surprised her to see Kate up when she went to make her tea.

"Are you in a better mood?" Kate asked.

"I'm fine."

"You haven't been yourself for weeks... not just at the lake. If you don't like Tim then dump him like you did Jim."

"I don't want to dump Tim. I love him."

Kate looked shocked. "Does he know you love him?"

"Yes, of course he does. Doesn't Arthur know you love him?"

"Yes, but we've been together longer and you haven't even..."

"No, but we still love each other."

"So why aren't you my happy friend if you're in love with your boyfriend?"

Julie sighed. "I just have a lot on my mind?"

"Is one of those guys at work annoying you?"

Julie smiled. "They all annoy me, but it's no different from normal."

"Is it because your father doesn't like Tim? He doesn't like me and we're friends. He calls me names and I ignore him, because I love you."

Hearing Kate loved her felt good. Kate was her best friend. "There are some things going on with Kev."

"What things?"

Julie shut her eyes. "Just some things that worry me."

"Did you find out he's gay?"

Julie was shocked. "Why'd you say that?"

"Because you told me you suspected him the night we drank sangria."

Julie groaned. She had thought sangria was a wine cooler or a wine spritzer, but it had liquor in it. Julie had never been so drunk and never wanted to drink ever again.

"What did I tell you?" Julie was hesitant to have this discussion.

"That you thought he might be and every time you turn on the news they talk about AIDS."

"Well, they do!"

"So is he?" Julie nodded. "I guess I'd worry too, if he's out picking up guys."

Julie knew she should tell Kate the whole truth. It was embarrassing to admit that Danny never liked her but was in love with her brother. Kate went off on the obvious issue - Julie's father. Thankfully, the need to go to the laundromat ended Kate's tirade over Charlie Dempsey.

Tim had mixed feelings about his week at camp. It might not have been a good idea to invite his friends. The week would have been better for Jules if they had just gone to visit his family. Somehow Kate and Arthur made Julie feel more uncomfortable than when they acted like rabbits in her apartment. Bernie and the waitress just added to it.

Tim was educated in many things, including the female body so he had a pretty good idea what had helped fuel Julie's insecurities. He marked his calendar and planned to be prepared.

Bernie stumbled out of his bedroom. "So how d'you leave it with Tammy?"

Bernie looked at him like he was crazy. "Um... 'It was fun'. What else would I say?"

"I sure as hell hope she doesn't end up in my father's office with symptoms of nausea and tender..."

"Jesus, Burke don't even think of it. Of course, I asked. She's on the pill."

"Probably prescribed by my father. If she took you home she's taken others. You might have thought about safe sex."

"Come on. She's from the woods in Maine. You really think she slept with a man who slept with a man."

They both gave blood regularly and knew the standard screening questions.

"When are you going to actually have a relationship with a girl?"

"Why so I won't have sex?" Bernie's response mocked him.

"Hey, that's not fair. Julie's father did a number on her. I guarantee we will eventually."

Bernie laughed. "Yeah, on your wedding night."

"If that's what it takes." Tim was serious in his response.

"You're crazy, man."

"I think you are. Sex without love is just exercise."

Bernie laughed. "Beats the treadmill any day. Besides, I think I'll wait ten years and marry your sister."

Tim rolled his eyes and decided not to encourage him.

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

37.7K 7.2K 58
(Complete) After decades, it's the end of an era on The Point. Change is inevitable and Will Drake doesn't like it. Will has the career he always dre...
41.4K 7.9K 65
(Completed) For years couples have fallen in love on The Point. Sam and Rory are no different. Bonded by the loss of their mothers, the couple has gr...
6.3K 681 23
Mallory finds herself brokenhearted when she loses the love of her life in a tragic accident. She's left to pick up the pieces of her life with the h...
12K 282 11
When Taylor Burke met Bucky Barnes during their sophomore year. He basically kept their tutoring arrangement a secret he was less than thrilled about...