FAMILY | on hold

By actorseokjin

Kim Seokjin, 32, is a single father. He works two shifts, seven days a week, as a cook at a small Korean cuis... More

FAMILY
one ✔
two ✔
four✔
five✔
six✔
seven✔
eight✔
nine✔
ten✔
eleven✔
twelve✔
thirteen✔
fourteen✔
fifteen✔
sixteen✔
seventeen✔
please read..?
thank you!!

three ✔

4.3K 326 64
By actorseokjin

NOTE: halmeoni = grandma

The weekend passes by quickly and it's the second Monday of the academic year. Jaemin will be attending Kim College as one of their students today and Seokjin is triple checking everything to make sure that nothing is missing. Seokjin seems more nervous than Jaemin when Jaemin's the one who'll be attending a new school today.

"Appa, calm down. I have everything," Jaemin says for the umpteenth time.

"[Kor] Do you need more food? I can pack you a bigger lunch," Seokjin says, pulling out whatever foods he can find in the cupboard.

"Appa, really, I have everything. We get free lunch from the cafeteria anyway," Jaemin says.

Seokjin is clearly stressed and no words of reassurance will alleviate the pressure on his shoulders so Jaemin embraces his dad warmly. Seokjin's tensed body immediately relaxes and his lips curve into a smile as he wraps his arms around his son. One hug and all is better.

"I just hope they have good food unlike the trash you see at American schools in the movies," Jaemin says, his nose scrunched up in distaste.

"I'm surprised they even have a cafeteria 'cause I've never heard of an Australian school that has one. We only have canteens and they look nothing like the ones you see in Google Images," Eunho says, reading a non-fiction psychological book that he borrowed from the school library.

"Well, it's an independent school," Jaemin says, and gives a small shrug.

Eunho rolls his eyes and returns to reading.

"[Kor] Are you excited?" Seokjin asks Jaemin.

"Excited and nervous. Mr Kim's a bit scary because he never smiles but he seems pretty nice overall," Jaemin says.

Seokjin hums in agreement. "[Kor] He didn't smile but he spoke in a friendly tone. He could have been having a bad day."

"I dunno, appa. I've heard a lot of rumours about him. People call him a robot because he always has a blank face."

"Yah! Don't believe everything you hear," Seokjin says, and gently flicks Jaemin's forehead in a playful manner.

Jaemin pouts slightly and rubs the spot his dad flicked. Seokjin smiles and pinches Jaemin's cheek.

"Appa!" Taeyoung cries out from the toilet.

"[Kor] Yes?" Seokjin shouts in response.

"My poo won't flush!"

Jaemin and Eunho burst out laughing while their dad frustratedly leaves to deal with the blocked toilet.

"Hyung, you're not sad about leaving your friends behind, are you?" Eunho asks his older brother.

Jaemin shrugs. "I'm going to miss them but I'm not going to let sentiments hold me back from going further in life."

Eunho hums in response.

"Friends don't last forever anyway, you know? There's a reason why it has 'end' in it. But family ends with 'i-l-y' which means 'I love you'." Jaemin gives Eunho a finger heart and winks playfully.

Eunho laughs. "You're so cheesy, hyung."

"But it's true, isn't it?" Jaemin asks, serious.

Eunho rolls his eyes and dismisses the conversation with a wave of his hand. Taeyoung soon comes running into the living room in just his underwear and stands there like a statue for a few seconds. Jaemin opens his mouth to ask what Taeyoung wants but Taeyoung is quicker to let out a gross fart and laughs loudly.

"Yah! You pig!" Jaemin yells, and chases his youngest brother.

"[Kor] No name-calling in this house!" Seokjin shouts from the toilet.

Eunho remains unbothered as he continues reading. 

Once everyone's dressed and ready to go, they all catch the early bus and go to Eunho and Taeyoung's school. They drop them off and then Seokjin and Jaemin head to Kim College. Mr Kim had requested in his email for Jaemin to arrive at school at least half an hour early on the first day for a tour so that Jaemin can be familiarised with the environment. Luckily classes at Kim College don't start until nine so Seokjin and Jaemin can get there on time.

About twenty minutes later, they arrive at the school. There are already quite a lot of students who are here and Jaemin's heartbeat increases from nervousness and excitement with every step he takes. Seokjin, too, feels the same. The atmosphere of this school is much different compared to the old school and everything feels so foreign. It's like walking into a whole new world.

"I always thought private schools were... different," Seokjin says, observing the environment and the people in it. 

"I know what you mean, appa. These people look really chill," Jaemin says. 

Seokjin hums in agreement and takes Jaemin's hand in his. They gently swing their arms back and forth as they wait for Mr Kim to arrive. They make some conversation about the buildings and the overall structure of this school until they spot Mr Kim approaching them from a fair distance. 

[Kor] "If I'm being honest, I thought Mr Kim was in his 40s or 50s before we met him because of his position in this school," Seokjin says. "He looks so young."

"Appa, you turned 32 two months ago but you look the same age as me," Jaemin says. "[Kor] Mr Kim looks young but he could be old. That actor from Train to Busan looks really young but he's almost 40."

"You mean Gong Yoo, right? He's so gorgeous," Seokjin says with invisible heart eyes. "[Kor] I'm not crazy about celebrities like Taeyoung is but Gong Yoo is so handsome."

Jaemin laughs. "You always complain about halmeoni and her celebrity crushes but here you are crushing on men who are nearly ten years older than you, appa."

Seokjin squints his eyes with a slight pout and Jaemin grins. 

Mr Kim soon arrives and greets the two. "Good morning," he says to them.

"Good morning, Mr Kim," Jaemin says, smiling brightly.

"Good morning, sir," Seokjin says, a warm smile on his face. "How are you today?"

"I'm fine, thank you. How about you?" Taehyung asks. 

"I'm doing great, thank you," Seokjin says. 

"That's good," Taehyung says, and then looks at Jaemin. "Shall we start the tour now?" 

Jaemin grins. "We shall," he says, very enthusiastic. 

"Will your dad be joining us?" Taehyung asks, and takes a quick glance at Seokjin.

Jaemin looks at Seokjin for an answer. Seokjin wouldn't mind joining the tour but he has to go to work soon. 

"I would love to but unfortunately I'm running short on time," Seokjin says politely. 

"I understand," Taehyung says, and then looks at Jaemin again. "Ready when you are, kid." 

Jaemin quickly says goodbye to Seokjin and hugs Seokjin really tightly. Seokjin leaves a lingering kiss on the top of Jaemin's forehead and whispers a 'Have fun. I love you so much'. Seokjin then wishes Mr Kim a good day before he leaves. 

When Seokjin reaches the front gate, he glances over his shoulder to look at Jaemin who's walking towards a building with Mr Kim. Jaemin looks over his shoulder as well and makes eye contact with Seokjin. They both smile and wave to each other before parting ways. Jaemin looks happy and that's all that matters to Seokjin.

-

[All dialogue in this scene spoken in Korean, unless specified otherwise]

It's almost closing time and Seokjin is washing the dishes while the other workers attend other duties. Some of them are making small preparations for the evening/night shift. Donghyun is chilling in the kitchen and bickering with Minsoo, as always.

"Sunbae is making this job a living hell for me. I should find a new one," Minsoo mutters.

"Those others jobs won't pay you as good as I do, you brat. They won't even have half the tolerance I have with you," Donghyun states matter-of-factly.

Seokjin chuckles lightly because it may or may not be true.

"The wage is the same but they won't bully me like you do!" Minsoo complains.

"Who's the one who always calls me a grandpa, huh?" Donghyun says, a challenging look on his face.

That surely makes Minsoo seal his lips and Seokjin cracks up.

"Yah, you laugh a lot," Donghyun says.

"Seokjin sunbae has a strange laugh," Minsoo says.

Seokjin scowls. "Minsoo-yah, why are you attacking me now?! I have never been mean to you like hyung!"

"I'm not attacking you, Seokjin sunbae. I'm commenting on your laugh. It sounds like this," Minsoo says, and imitates Seokjin's cute laugh that everyone loves to make fun of.

"[Eng] Stop it!" Seokjin whines, his ears red from embarrassment.

The kitchen's filled with laughter as the workers clean up. Minsoo leaves early because he has some errands to run and the other workers also leave one after the other. It's just Seokjin and Donghyun now.

"Jin-ah, I want to ask you something," Donghyun suddenly says.

"Hmm?"

"Have you thought about a second marriage?" Donghyun asks.

Seokjin shakes his head no.

"Why not?" Donghyun asks.

Seokjin shrugs. "I don't have the time for relationships, hyung. My kids are my priority."

"This isn't about romance," Donghyun says. "I think you should find a woman who's well off and marry her so you don't have to carry so much pressure on your shoulders. It's okay to ask for help."

"I don't like to use people. Also, I still manage to settle all the bills, don't I? So you don't need to worry about me, hyung. I'm doing fine. I don't need a partner," Seokjin says.

"You won't be using her if you make it clear that you're marrying her to support the boys. If she loves them as well, then it won't be a problem. Hopefully one day you two will fall in love."

Donghyun has made many failed attempts to convince Seokjin to get married again but nothing seems to be working. Seokjin's determined about being an independent father and providing for his kids on his own. Donghyun admires Seokjin's independence but sometimes, especially if you're struggling financially, you need someone you can lean on.

"Jin-ah, listen—"

"I'll see you later, hyung. Take care," Seokjin says, and leaves in a hurry to prevent this conversation from extending.

Donghyun sighs heavily and watches as Seokjin leaves. He loves Seokjin so much and he respects Seokjin's decisions but sometimes he truly worries that one day Seokjin will collapse from exhaustion. That guy doesn't know when to rest and he's so, so stubborn. 

-

Jaemin is home by the time Seokjin and the other two boys arrive. Mrs Nguyen had called Seokjin earlier and informed him that Jaemin has been registered to travel by school bus. It's free of charge because it's included in the fees (in this case, Jaemin's scholarship) but Jaemin will need to manage his own transport if he's to enrol in extracurricular classes which are usually held before or after school hours.

"[Kor] Jaeminie, how was school?" Seokjin asks.

"It was so fun, appa! The teachers are really kind and welcoming and my classmates are really nice too! I even made a new friend! His name is Yousef and he's also new," Jaemin says, the happiness clearly evident in his tone. "He said he came late last year and he's an international student from Lebanon. We have Philosophy and Texts & Traditions together. He's really smart and he's funny too!"

Seokjin's lips curve into a broad smile because Jaemin is glowing with happiness. 

"And the classes... are pretty intense. We do most of our work on the computer because there's this program we use to do quizzes and all this other stuff. I already have an assignment due next week for one of my classes but it's just a 500 word summary on the first chapter in the text book so it shouldn't be too hard. But besides all that, the school's awesome! The cafeteria food was really good too! They even have vegan and vegetarian options. Mr Kim went all out with this school."

Jaemin's tone, facial expression, and little hand gestures only prove how happy he is and Seokjin couldn't ask for anything more. Hearing Jaemin talk so highly of this school is even pushing Seokjin towards enrolling Eunho and Taeyoung at Kim College as well. Seokjin's going to wait until this week is over and if Jaemin continues attending this school with enthusiasm, Seokjin will enrol his other two sons there. He definitely can't afford it but he'll try to speak to Mr Kim and discuss some payment plans so that Eunho and Taeyoung can also go to a good school and receive the best education with facilities of high quality. Seokjin wants the best for his sons and he's willing to make more sacrifices. Hell, he'll even look for a second job and work from night to morning.

"What food did they have in the cafeteria?" Taeyoung asks out of curiosity.

"They had different types of pastas today. They packed the leftovers in takeaway containers and let us take a few home so that the food's not going to waste," Jaemin says, and then points towards the kitchen. "I brought some for us, by the way."

Taeyoung squeals loudly and dashes into the kitchen. He opens up one of the containers and picks up a piece of pasta with his fingers. Seokjin scolds Taeyoung for having poor hygiene so Taeyoung washes his hands and grabs a fork. Eunho joins in the kitchen because he's quite hungry too.

"[Kor] I'm so happy you're enjoying this school, Jaeminie. Accepting that scholarship was the best decision you could have ever made," Seokjin says, gently stroking Jaemin's hair.

"Thank you for encouraging me to accept it and for stopping me from making a decision I would regret later on," Jaemin says, looking up at his dad with the utmost adoration in his eyes.

Seokjin smiles and kisses Jaemin's forehead lovingly.

"I won't disappoint you, appa. I'm going to work really hard and make you proud of me," Jaemin says with determination.

Tears prick Seokjin's eyes because his son's words are really getting to him. "You've never disappointed me, baby. I'm already proud of you for growing into a beautiful man with a heart of diamond. I just want you to be happy. That's the only way I can be happy," he says with sincerity.

Jaemin doesn't hesitate to wrap his arms around his dad's waist and Seokjin puts his arms around Jaemin. They hold each other close and Seokjin blinks back his unshed tears before he attaches his lips to the top of Jaemin's head. He inhales deeply and then scrunches his nose up.

"[Kor] Yah! Go wash your hair!" Seokjin complains as he slowly pulls away.

"Appa, why did you have to ruin the moment?" Jaemin whines.

"I didn't ruin anything. Now go wash your hair, silly boy," Seokjin says in a teasing manner. 

Jaemin pouts but gives his dad a quick peck on the cheek before running into the bathroom. Seokjin smiles from ear to ear and watches as Jaemin disappears. He then looks at Taeyoung who's scoffing the pasta, and then at Eunho who's sitting behind the computer and scrolling away. Eunho's eyes suddenly widen in horror as he stares at something on the screen and Seokjin raises a brow.

"Eunie, what are you looking at?" Seokjin asks as he approaches Eunho.

Eunho quickly closes the window and gets up from the seat. He just searched for the PDF file on Kim College fees and... he really doesn't know if his dad would be able to afford it even with a 50% discount. It's extremely expensive for a low income family like his. The fees may be much lower compared to most other independent schools but it's still unaffordable for the Kim family.

"Appa, is it okay if I apply for a job?" Eunho suddenly asks.

Seokjin sighs heavily. "[Kor] Eunho-yah, we've talked about this before and my answer stays the same. I want you to focus on your education until you graduate high school. When you start university, you can apply for a casual job and work on the weekends. Nothing more."

"But appa—"

"No buts, okay? Nothing is more important than school at this age," Seokjin says sternly.

Seokjin messed around and ended up dropping out of university because he couldn't tackle studying and finally taking responsibilities as a father. If it wasn't for his bad habits and destructive ways, he would be a doctor today. But life had other plans and he had to give up on his dream. Now, his dream is for his sons to have the life that he wished he had. He wants his boys to be successful but most importantly, happy.

Eunho knows this. He knows his dad only wants the best for him and his brothers but he can't just sit around at home while his dad is suffering silently. He wants to work a casual job while going to school because he wants to support his dad. They need all the money they can get.

"Appa, please listen to me," Eunho says with pleading eyes. "You're always working and you barely have the time to rest. I know you tell us not to worry about the money but we see right through you just like you see through us. You're stressed and you're exhausted because it's a lot for you to handle. Just let us carry that burden with you. We're supposed to be in this together, aren't we? You don't have to do this alone."

Seokjin has lost count of the amount of times his sons have spoken words that strike his heart and bring tears to his eyes. They're always worrying about him and checking on him to ensure he's okay. They look after him just like he looks after them. They're his strength and happiness just like he is theirs. They're his home and he is theirs.

"[Kor] What is it with you and your hyung always making me so emotional with your speeches?" Seokjin says, and laughs lightly through teary eyes. "Sometimes I feel like I'm the son."

Eunho bursts out laughing and Seokjin's lips curve into the broadest smile because of the melodic sound. Leave it to Seokjin to bring a bit of light to a deep conversation because he refuses to cry in front of his sons. He tells them that it's okay to cry and that tears are a sign of strength rather than weakness but he's also the one who holds back his tears and cries only when he's alone because he wants to be strong for his sons. Sometimes you just need to take your own advice but Seokjin has always been bad at that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.7K 2K 43
Jin lived a hard life, one where misunderstandings surrounded him always. His parents didn't understand him and his brother never helped him but it g...
19.2K 1.6K 36
Namjoon had it all-wealth, influence, a loving family, and everything else. At 35 he is the most successful self made businessman in his country, the...
62.4K 3.5K 41
You and Jin knew each other in high school. You both graduate and assume you'll never see him again. A few months later, during freshman year of coll...
41.7K 1.7K 37
25 years old cold CEO of Min Industries, Min Yoongi fell in love with his adopted brother Kim Seokjin (26 years old) * Top - Min Yoongi * Bottom - K...