One Week Older: Turning Pages

By AyaBethly

"Today, however can change things for better or worse. The outcome depends on you." When a marriage fails the... More

The Day I Rise
When Memories Hurt
Is This A Rescue
We Are All Hurt
Little Problems
What Have We Become
I Couldn't Stop
It's a New Day
Real and True
I Got You
Clouds in the Sky
Won't You Help Me
The Role We Play
Day In, Day Out
Living in Denial
A Cacophony
Inner Thoughts
Shattering Glass
Last a Lifetime
The Cold Light of Day
Put Things Into Perspective
I Can't Have You
Both Of Us
The Girl Gang
New Life Motto
It Went Downhill
Our Day Will Come
Red Light, Green Light
Bewilderment
The Broken Flaws
My Sunshine
The Traits You Instilled
#Winning
Wild and Free
Let's Play a Game
Make My Day
Eternity With You
Do or Die
The Sound of a Door
Misplaced Faith
Motherly Advice
Nighttime Conversations
How Do You Feel About Love?
The Day of Our Lives
Four Little Hands
A Christmas Tree Farm
This is a Reaffirmation
An Overwhelming Party
The End of The Day
Full Cast
Covers

She's an Angel

126 62 127
By AyaBethly

********

I almost dozed back off to dreamland with Banks when I heard movement and voices outside of my door. My phone light appeared to show me that it charged enough to come back on. The time said 9:17 in the morning. Still too early to be awake in my opinion, apparently not for my brother. "Denny," I shouted because I was still too tired to get out of bed and drained from my morning dreaming.

He opened the door to my room, "What is it, Little Miss?"

"It's such a beautiful morning," I cooed.

"Who are you talking to?" I tried to sound casual but I couldn't hide the knowing smile from my face. "You sound really happy," I accused.

"It's a friend, why are you worrying about it?" I could see a smile trying to creep onto his face. "It has to be more than that; I can hear you giggling from in here," I laughed.

"Daya, instead of bothering me go make some breakfast or something," he moved to close the door.

"Love you," I said through the crack before it sealed.

A part of me couldn't believe that out of all the things I could've dreamed of that is what arrived in my mind. I didn't know if I should mention it to him or not. How would he react? I pulled myself out of my covers, and I sat on my daybed. From one bed right to another. The glass was frosty as I laid a hand on it. I looked at the tree beside the small sliver of a roof that I had there. I should have known it was a dream. I've never been able to climb up it. I put on the same sweats from yesterday before I headed to the bathroom.

When I looked in the mirror, I saw that the bruises that were once on my neck had become almost nonexistent. As I went downstairs, I saw my mom sitting on the living room couch. I walked behind her and squeezed her shoulders.

"Good morning, mom," I kissed her cheek.

"You seem perky today Daya." I swayed my arms, "I woke up in a good mood."

She rotated around, "Well, I hope it stays for a while."

I smiled into my words, "I'm making breakfast. I am thinking muffins, assorted fruits, and milk or maybe a smoothie. What do you think?"

"It sounds good as long as you're making it. I was out gardening this morning and I am worn-out." I thought it was weird that she was gardening in the snow, but whatever takes her mind off her situation was fine with me.

"It'll be ready soon. I bet the garden looks beautiful; you could be on HGTV," I pointed at her with a giggle.

"You flatter me," she said as I walked into the kitchen. I made a variety of muffins: blueberry, chocolate chip, plain, and banana. It was a bit of an overhaul, but they were so easy to make. I chopped up strawberries and banana slices before I made everyone's plate.

"Breakfast is served," I hollered loud enough so Denny could hear me upstairs.

"It smells divine," my mom said as she sat at the table.

"We are going to have enough for two weeks," Denny stated.

"I see you moved from talking to texting with your new best friend," I taunted.

"What are we drinking with it?" He deflected and I discerned that I forgot to make the smoothies.

"I will go pour glasses of milk for everyone since I am treating to your breakfast." I had trouble bringing the three glasses in the dining area at one time, but I managed.

"A drink for you, you, and me," I said as I placed the glasses in front of everyone.

"Thank you Daya, this is really sweet," my mom gushed at my new change in attitude.

"She's an angel," Dennis ridiculed. Everyone had one of each on the plate and fruits beside it. The extra muffins were sat in the middle of the table in a big wicker basket.

"Perhaps, you can take some to your dad," mom said quietly.

I brushed by the topic, "He is a bit of a way out, but if he comes by, I will be sure to."

"What do you have planned to do today? I'm guessing it's not staying home with your old mom," she looked down at her hands that were laid in her lap.

Denny and I exchanged a quick look, "All three of us could go somewhere. I don't think you have been passed the garden or anywhere in a while," Denny stated.

"It would be nice to spend quality time my two favorite people in the world. Where would you like to go?" Dennis and I both looked at her with confused eyes and then at each other.

Neither Denny nor I said anything. "Well, we can decide later." I gulped, "I guess I don't know what you like to do anymore. Is there anything you have wanted to do?"

"Nothing in particular. I've been thinking about going back to work at the hospital. Would the two of you be okay with that?" It took me back that she would think that we would ever have a problem with that.

I nodded, "That would be great for you. You need to get out of the house more."

Denny added, "Do you think you're ready for that? I mean, it would be great but," he drifted off.

She contiued where he left off. "It will take some warming up to, but I loved being a nurse and now that you are older you don't need me around as much."

I sighed, "We will always need you, no matter how old we get." Denny nodded in agreement. "Plus, it wasn't just taking care of us that was keeping you from work," I mumbled.

She replied by saying, "We should keep the atmosphere joyful. It's been a good morning so far and we should keep it that way."

After breakfast, I headed back upstairs and into my room. I sat on the side of my bed closest to my phone that was left on the charger. I had a missed call from Banks and a good morning text. It could be deemed weird for him to be calling when it feels like he was just here fewer than thirty minutes ago.

First, I sent a text message to Jay. He is going through something intense right now, and the least I could do was text him, 'Good morning. How are you feeling?' Then, I called Banks, "Merry morning, Banksy," I said as soon as the phone stopped ringing.

"It's not Christmas yet," he sounded like he was moving around. "What are you up to this early in the morning?"

"I took my little brothers to the park, so they could start their careers as pirates before I go to work," he laughed.

"That is the cutest thing I have heard today. Are you just saying that to impress me?" I batted my eyelashes even though he couldn't see me.

"No, I am really at the park and it is one hundred percent adorable. And before you ask, it's not the park by your house," I giggled at his nature. "Do you want to stop by," he asked.

"I have no way to get there, but I would love too if I could." I knew that I could make a plan, but I just wanted to see what he would say.

"Be careful, Jude," I heard him yell in the distance. "We could come by and pick you up."

"Not if it's too far out of your way," I drew out the word way.

"That isn't a problem. We'll be on our way." I appreciated his determination and will to see me.

I held my stomach, "Okay, do they like muffins? I made muffins for breakfast."

"Well, they had cereal for breakfast, but I am sure they'll like that. I'll call you when I am in the yard." I grinned the whole time he was talking.

I looked out my window, "I will be ready. See you then."

Before he hung up, he said, "I will see you soon."

Immediately, I tried to change into something cuter. I decided on wearing a leather skirt, stockings, a striped long sleeve turtleneck, and a teddy coat. I brushed my hair and threw it into a low ponytail. Denny's door was opened, so I decided to peek in.

"Where are you going all dressed up," he looked up at me from his phone.

"Banks wants to hang out at the park," he grimaced when I said his name.

I innocently said, "Dennis, I like him. Please just accept that, for my sake."

He shook his head, "I'm not okay with it. He's going after my little sister and you're supposed to be off-limits."

"That's not your choice to make." I sat on the end of his bed.

"Different circumstances, I guess. Mark says he's a good friend, but I know how he treats the girls he is with." I reached out and held his casted hand.

"How does he treat them? He's been perfectly sweet to me." He scoffed when I said that.

"Because he's trying to sleep with you. He knows what he's doing, and I don't want you to become another one of conquest," he clenched his jaw.

"What if you're wrong about him? What if it's a big misunderstanding?" I wanted to believe in Banks fully, but Dennis' opinion was so important to me that it clouded my judgement.

He shook his head, "It isn't Daya. He hasn't been in a serious relationship for a while. He hooks up with girls and then leaves him. That is all he wants with you and he has broken our agreement by doing this."

I twisted my leg into his covers. "He hasn't asked me to do anything with him. Do you even know why he hasn't been in a serious relationship?"

"Yeah, he's scared of commitment. What makes you think you can change that?" I could feel the water welling up in my eyes, but I wouldn't let any tears fall. That would only validate Denny's feelings about him.

"I don't, but he told me he would be open to devotion. I just want to take my time and get to know him better. You shouldn't have told him that I'm off-limits. That's my decision to make, not yours," I looked at him with sad eyes. "If this is a mistake, let me make it. You can't protect me at the cost of me living my life. In a short time, I have known him he has made a meaningful impression. I will be careful and make sure that he knows my boundaries. If he messes up, you will be the first person I tell, but until then, let me have this, Denny."

He nodded, "Go ahead, but watch him."

"Like a hawk," I winked at him. "But... um, there was something else that he said that I want to ask you about," I fiddled with my thumbs.

I knew he was just as nervous to talk about this as I was, probably even more nervous. "You told him about our conversation about Michy, didn't you?"

Promptly, I denied that after I observed the disconcerted expression on his face. "No, no, but he told me a little bit about... you and... Mark." I tried to say everything slowly and carefully.

His eyes became beady and turned his phone so the screen was down and laid it on the bed. "Whatever he said... it's a lie."

I shook my head, "I don't think it is. And that's okay Dennis. I want you to be able to talk to me and mom about this. You shouldn't have to hide a part of who you are. I will always accept you. And with everything I've heard about Mark, he seems like a nice guy. And I support whatever relationship you decide to be in."

He wiped his eye with the back of his hand and sniffled. "That means a lot to me, Little Miss. I just... don't know if I'm ready to be out. It's not easy."

I shifted closer to him so I could wrap him up in a hug. "You don't have to worry about me. I won't tell anyone. And I know Banks... he only told me because I'm related to you. He hasn't told anyone else. I love you, big brother."

"I love you too, little sister," he reciprocated my embrace and we stayed like that for a moment and understood each other for once.

Sauntering off his mattress, I gave him a little wave as I stood by the door about to leave. "Day, wait up," he stood up. "We were supposed to go out with mom."

Hastily, I said, "I forgot that quickly. Okay, I won't be out long. I'll give you enough time to figure out where we should go."

He sighed, "You have to tell her that you're leaving. I'm tired of doing it for you," he sat back down. I nodded and walked backward out of his room.

My mom was cleaning up in the kitchen when I walked down the stairs. "Hey," I curtly said.

"Aww, you look nice. I wasn't ready to leave just yet," she smiled over her shoulder.

I wiggled a little, "That's great because I was going to hang out with some friends."

I grabbed a smaller basket and placed a few muffins in it. She said, "Oh, well try to come back in a timely manner. Can you tell me where you are going to be?"

Examining one of the strawberry muffins, I said, "The park, not the one down the street, but the one on near 6th street." Banks didn't exactly clarify to me which park, but that was the one I assumed he was at.

"Have fun then. Tell the girls I said hello." It stung a little because I knew that they weren't the ones coming and they wouldn't come even if it was true.

I could feel my phone buzzing in my pocket. "They're here. I will be back soon," and I headed out the front door.

*We are nearing the end and I'm sad that it's almost over.

How do y'all feel about Dennis coming out to Daya?

What are your predictions for the end of the book?

Please remember to comment, follow, and share the story because it means so much to me!*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 513 29
Highest ranking: #128 in Teen Fiction. Best Cover Award by Fight to Survive Awards. Life was easy for Olivia till her mother decided to go on a road...
416 59 12
Camilla is given a new life... a life away from her past...she believes. Despite her odds, this time, she manages to conceal it. But until when?.... ...
115K 3.1K 54
Change is not so easy. Mackenzie learns that the hard way when she has to move to a new school the second semester of her senior year of High School...
99.3K 4.4K 34
Everyone knew Lorraine was perfect. She had the perfect plans, the perfect boyfriend, and the perfect aspirations. That is until one day, her plans c...