That Smile (Dave East Fanfict...

By DaveIsFave

Faith and Dave both want a relationship, but aren't eager in taking that step with anyone. Faith feels she is... More

Introduction
One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.
Six.
Seven.
Eight.
Nine.
Ten.
Eleven.
Twelve.
Thirteen.
Fourteen.
Fifteen.
Sixteen.
Seventeen.
Eighteen.
Nineteen.
Twenty.
Twenty One.
Twenty Two.
Twenty Three.
Twenty Four.
Twenty Five.
Twenty Six.
Twenty Seven.
Twenty Eight.
Twenty Nine.
Thirty.
Thirty One.
Thirty Two.
Thirty Three.
Thirty Four.
Thirty Five.
Thirty Six.
Thirty Seven.
Thirty Eight
Thirty Nine.
Forty.
Forty One.
Forty Two.
Forty Four.
Forty Five.
Forty Six.
Forty Seven.
Forty Eight.
That Smile II Is Up!

Forty Three.

27K 769 428
By DaveIsFave

Excuse any mistakes. Enjoy.

Faith's POV

I'm slowly putting away the dishes from the dishwasher and I'm getting tired. Being twenty seven weeks hasn't been the best experience in my life. I'm super tired all of the time and the sickness that most pregnant women experience during their first trimester hasn't left. I can honestly say, I'm not enjoying being pregnant.

I believe this is still my punishment for stepping out on Dave. Terrible sickness and not knowing who the father of my child is. Everything is just bad and I'm not feeling none of this. Don't even get me started on the crying that I do randomly everyday. I could have had the best day and I'll just start crying. I'm not a cryer. I don't cry, but this kid says otherwise.

I heard the front door open and I knew it was Dave, but I'm in too much pain to jet to greet him. I've been having some cramping pains and the baby has been kicking all day. They're very active today. I honestly should be sitting down, but guys I'm so tired of sitting and laying around. I get bored easily.

"Bae!" He yelled out.

"I'm in the kitchen!" I tiredly yelled out.

"Hey- what's wrong?" He came over to me and placed his hands on my face. "You ain't lookin good, mama. Come on." He took the dish out of my hand and led me to the guest room. He pulled the covers back and helped me lay down. He sat down and grabbed one of my feet to start giving me a massage. "Faith you gotta lay down and rest. Your feet are way too swollen to keep walking around and pretending like they aren't. I know they hurt too."

"They do." I admitted and he shook his head. "How was your trip?" I asked changing the subject.

"Great. I got a lot of work done. I got some things in the works. I think you'll like it." He nodded.

"I'm sure I will. You know I like your music."

"How you been feeling since I talked to you last night?"

"To be completely honest, I haven't been feeling good today. Last night was restless. She's been kicking all day and night which keeps me up, and so does my belly since I can't sleep the way I want. I'm just over this whole thing. I love my child, no doubt about that, it's just the changes that my body is going through haven't been the most enjoyable or best experience." I admitted. "BUT positive vibes only. I'm good. I need to turn this around and embrace the changes and not complain about them. Positivity." I said while rubbing my stomach.

"I'm sorry baby." He said and kissed my belly while rubbing it. I slightly tugged at his hand and gestured him to lay beside me and he did.

We laid there for a minute before I decided to say something. "I'm sorry about how I was acting while you were away."

"Whatchu mean?" He looked down at me.

"About the whole marriage thing."

He smacked his lips. "Girl you know I ain't trippin off that. I know it was the hormones talkin." He said, waving me off.

"Yeah, but babe I want to apologize. Actually I want to apologize for a lot of things. There have been times that I've known you during our relationship that I've played victim and done some other things. Imma keep it real, I was difficult in the beginning. I gave you a hard time, initially and I want to apologize for that, so I'm sorry." I looked up at him and said. This has been weighing heavily on my heart for a minute now. I felt it was time to do that.

"I accept it. Let me say sorry too then. I was a dickhead in the beginning of our relationship. Many times I was disrespectful to you and that's not right. I don't like how I treated you, so I'm sorry too."

"Look at us. Maturing. We done came a long way kid." I smiled and kissed his neck since I was laid up under him.

"Facts."

"What time is it?" I asked and tried to get as close as I could despite our child being between us.

"Uhhh it is," he grabbed his phone and looked at the time. "10:05."

"Oh babe we have to go. I ain't know it was that late." I sat up, but stopped because I got dizzy.

"Where we gotta go?" He asked and helped me up, slowly.

"My doctor's appointment. It's at 10:30. Today we get to see her in 3d." I cheesed. I'm super excited.

We made it with five minutes to spare and we got settled in the room shortly after. Now the doctor is measuring my stomach. "Hmm. Alright let's see this little one." My doctor said and turned out the light to start the ultrasound.

She did the usual stuff and moved the wand around. "You still don't want to know what you're having?" She questioned and looked over at me.

I looked up at Dave and he shrugged and gestured towards me to say it's up to me. Deep down I know he wants to know. "Alright. Lay it on us. What are we having?"

"Finally." She joked and laughed. "Let me switch over." She switched it over to 3d and my baby popped up and I started to cry. "She's cute isn't she?"

"OMG babe it's a girl." I continued to cry and he bent down to give me a kiss.

"Everybody already told you what you were havin." He was cheesing so big. He really wanted another girl.

I looked back over to the screen and smiled too. I'm really excited now. "I don't know why she acting all innocent. Acting like she sleep knowing she was just kicking me a few minutes before we came in here. Such a faker." I chuckled, joking.

"Just like her moms." Dave said.

"You tried it." I playfully glared at him.

"It could have been her," she nodded and moved the wand around some more. "Or it could have been this little one."

"Wait what? Where did the second baby come from?" I asked very shocked.

While I'm being genuinely confused, Dave is laughing his ass off. "Now that is my kid." He continued to laugh at the monitor at our baby covering their face and throwing up a bird.

"Baby B has been hiding. I always knew that there was a second baby in there by how you were measuring. You're twenty seven weeks and measuring at thirty five, so yeah. Red flag there. I just didn't know for sure since every time we checked, they weren't in the picture, but there they are." The doctor smiled.

"So what does all this mean?" I asked.

"Well everything is fine. You've been doing everything great, your due date will just be moved up, of course. This explains why you haven't been enjoying your pregnancy. Why you've been so tired and why you may have been a lot sicker. Now that we know, we can try to find something to help you out."

"When would I deliver?"

"So instead of the usual full term at forty weeks, you'll deliver around thirty six. Give or take. We'll follow their lead on this one."

I nodded taking everything in. I'm happy since I've always wanted twins, but I'm also nervous. Two newborns with a toddler and a seven year old. That's a lot if Dave ever has to go out of town to take care of business.

"What's the gender of this one?" Dave asked.

"I'm trying to see, but they don't want to show us. Faith let's try laying on your side." They helped me to my side and she checked again. "Looks like this is a....another little girl."

"Oh it's lit." Dave clasped his hands together.

I playfully rolled my eyes and smiled. "Will I still be able to do a water birth?"

"Actually you can. You'll just have to inform the midwife then they will just go about everything a little differently, but you should be all set to do your at home water birth." She nodded.

"Okay great." I sighed with a smile.

"If those are all the questions you have for me, you are free to go. You know what to do, go to the front and set up your next appointment." I nodded and she said goodbye then left.

"I guess we're having two more girls. I don't know how Kaiden is going to react to all these girls in the house." I said and looked up at Dave.

"He gone be fine. My lil man actually wanted a little sister." He said and helped me clean myself up and get down from the little table.

"He does? He told you that?"

"Yeah. I asked him some months back and that's what he said." He shrugged.

"Awww my baby boy." I cooed and laughed then started to cry.

"Why are you crying?" Dave asked and pulled me into his chest.

"I don't want Kaiden to grow up." I cried as he rubbed my back to soothe me. "I want him to be my little baby forever."

"Mama he gotta grow up, but you got some time before he does." He laughed at me.

"It's not funny." I punched his chest.

"Ow whatchu hit me for?" He rubbed the spot I hit.

"Because you laughing at me." I pouted and folded my arms.

"I'm not laughing at you. Now come on so I can feed all tree of y'all." He slapped my butt and walked out in front of me. He plays entirely too much and now I want sex. See. I'm all over the place.

After I scheduled my appointment for two weeks, Dave stopped at Chick Fil A to get me something to eat, which I'm very glad about. Now we are on our way to his parent's house to get the kids and to tell everyone about the news.

Dave's POV

"Baby." I called out and nudged Faith. "You fell asleep that fast?" She finished eating five minutes ago and fell asleep right after. "Faith." I called out again.

"What?" She whined and turned her head the other way without opening her eyes.

"Come on. We here." I got out and walked to her side to open the door. We walked up to the front door and I rung the doorbell. Errol came to the door a few seconds later.

"Damn girl you big as hell." Is the first thing he said when he opened the door. Why? Why? Why? Why would he say that...to a pregnant woman?

"Really?" Faith asked sadly and looked down at her belly. Of course, she started to cry.

"Come on, E. The hell wrong with you?" I mugged him and walked passed him, pulling Faith with me. "Don't listen to him baby. You look good." I pulled her into my side.

"No he's right. I look terrible. I'm surprised you still want to be with me."

"Why is she crying David Jr.?" My moms came out of the kitchen with a frown on her face. She already ready to get in my ass.

"I ain't do it. Your other son did it. Nigga said she was big."

"Errol!" She yelled and he came where we were.

"I ain't mean it momma. It just slipped out." He said to my mom and then turned to Faith. "I really didn't mean nothin by it sis. You know I don't think before I speak."

"No it's fine. You were being honest. Why did I have to carry twins?" She sobbed and "ran" off towards the downstairs bathroom. "Watch out. Big whale lady coming through!" I heard her dramatic ass cry out. I couldn't help but to bust out laughing. She been funny as hell through this whole pregnancy. I wouldn't laugh in front of her though. Never.

"Twins?" Momma and Errol asked at the same time.

"Oh yeah." My laughing died down. "That's what we came over here for. To get the kids and inform you and pops that we're having twin. Two girls."

"I knew it! I knew it. Do you see how big she is at twenty seven weeks? It was impossible for her not to be having twins." My mom yelled out in excitement.

"Two more girls. Well let me go load two more of my guns." Errol crazy ass said and walked out of the kitchen. Now he know damn well I done loaded about five. Two more for backup, but ion ever shoot to miss.

"I'm so excited. Have you two came up with any names?"

"Actually we have not. After the whole name thing with the other girl, I think she's trying to figure out some more options. She has more boy names than girls."

"I still can't believe you did that." She shook her head at me in disapproval.

"I know ma. I know. It's in the past now and we moving on from that. I can't take it back."

"Mm." She eyed me. "Let me go check on her. Y'all gone stop doing my baby wrong too." She said while walking off, talking about me and Errol.

I went to search for the kids and found them in my parent's room, taking a nap with they pop pop. I was about to take a picture of them and his voice scared the shit out of me.

"Put that damn camera down." He said with his eyes still closed.

"Dang man. How you know?" I smacked my lips and put it back in my pocket.

"I'm your father. My senses had to always be at an all time high for your bad ass." He said and slowly got out of the bed so he wouldn't wake them. "Why you at my house?" Is what he said when he got in front of me.

"Technically this is my house, but continue."

"Technically I can still beat yo ass." He said and pushed me out of the way which caused me to trip and fall. Luckily I didn't wake them up with how loud my fall was.

"Damn pops. Why you always so mean to a nigga?" I rubbed my hip that was now hurting.

"I'm not. Now what brings you by?" We sat down in the loft area upstairs.

"Me and Faith came over to tell y'all about the baby."

"Oh how is my granddaughter?" He smiled. See everyone was on the same page with the gender except Faith until now.

"She's good. Her and her sister are both good." I smiled, hoping he would catch on.

"Oh I already knew she was having twins. She's big as hell son. Wasn't no way there was only one baby living in there." He shrugged.

"That's what ma said, and don't say that around Faith please pops. She's a little sensitive about her weight right now."

"I know that. I'm not stupid."

"Well I'm just making sure. E slipped up earlier and she went to the bathroom crying."

"Well I dropped him a few times when he was little. I think he's a little challenged in some areas. Hold it to his head and not his heart." We laughed because there really is something wrong with my brother. The nigga got issues.

We stayed over there for another hour and decided to leave. Faith was tired and ready to lay down. It's Thanksgiving break and the kids are out for a week, so we decided to spend Thanksgiving with her family this year. Their last day for this week is tomorrow and when they get out we'll be on our way to North Carolina.

Am I nervous? Actually, I kind of am. I've never met all of her family and the way she talks about them, she doesn't really want to introduce me to them. I had to really convince her to even visit. If it was up to her, we'd stay here. I don't know why she's like this towards her family, but I need to ask. The main purpose of this trip is me proposing.

I got a custom ring made for her. Faith always told me way back, towards the middle of our relationship, she always told me she wanted something unique. She really liked the idea of her birthstone being incorporated, so I made it happen. That's what I'm really nervous about. I'm not sure if she will say yes. Yeah I know what she was saying over the phone, but she's really not like that. She's never pushed marriage on me, she's never made it a big deal. She's always allowing me to lead and I think, nah I know I'm ready to make this shit super official.

——————

Faith's POV

"Babe did you really have to roll that right now?" I chuckled and shook my head.

"Yes ma'am. Now stay over there." He said as he lit it up and started to smoke from it.

"You're supposed to be helping me." I put my hands on my hips.

"I am helping. I'm here ain't I?" He was so dead ass.

Right now we are looking at some houses, well we're supposed to be looking at some houses. After we dropped the kids off to school, we came straight to our first showing and we have to finish seeing them before noon when Kaiden has to be picked up.

"I'll be inside. Can you hurry up though? Please?"

"Yeah I'll be right in. I'm not gone take long." He said and blew me a kiss.

I laughed and walked into the house where our realtor was waiting. "Hi Faith. How are you?"

"I'm good Max. How are you?" I smiled at him.

"Fantastic. You look really good. You're glowing." He complimented.

"That's what a pregnancy can bring and I'm not complaining. You're glowing too." I eyed him.

"Am I?" He looked in a nearby mirror then rubbed over his face, in a cocky way. "I'm finally seeing someone."

"See I knew you wouldn't be down for too long. Now look at you. Looking all happy." I complimented.

Max is a realtor that I met through Alexis. He helped her find her penthouse in the city and he was highly recommended. We happened to become friends in the process and boom. Here we are. He's black, first and foremost, and he's gay, I had to work with him. Help a brotha out who is a minority times two.

"Thank you, thank you. Alright now let's get to business. I know you have stuff to do." I nodded because he is definitely right. "What did you think of the outside?"

"Eh. It was okay. Not much curb appeal, but it wasn't terrible."

He nodded. "This house is four bedrooms, three baths, 2,400 square feet-"

"How much is this?" I questioned because I'm not liking how this is sounding and I know they about to be trippin on the price. This shit small as fuck too.

"It's $2.5."

"No sir. Now I know I didn't have the max that high."

"You didn't. I did." Dave said coming inside. "I'd go higher, but you a money pincher. That lil $1.5 budget you go ain't gone cut it."

"How much you want to bet?" I looked at him with my eyebrows scrunched together. I turned back around to Max. "We can look at the next house."

"You don't want to look around?"

"No it's okay. We're not throwing out unnecessary money for a four bedroom, three bathroom house, with only 2,400 square feet. The house is too small in size to accommodate our growing family. Plus there's no backyard. My son is too energetic to play in the house 24/7."

"I mean seeing as I make more than you, I doubt you'll be paying for anything baby." He chuckled.

"I understands well if you're ready then we can drive to the next house." Max said awkwardly because you could feel my energy shift.

Dave and I got into our vehicle and followed behind Max. "Why'd you have to say all that? As if I'm not going to be on the deed of the house as well. Tuh. You will not be kicking me out if it doesn't work out. We splitting that bitch down the middle."

"I'm just saying. I got more money than you, you're kind of a struggling artist right now." He shrugged while driving.

"Struggling artist? And that is where you are wrong, my brotha. You really think I'd quit my high paying job if I wasn't prepared and set? Like I would really put myself and my family in a predicament like that? I'm very smart with my money and I could definitely split the payments of the house with you."

"My ba-"

"Yeah I don't want to hear you talk to me right now. You're very annoying." I turned the radio up more so I could hear my thoughts. He really tried it. After I said no to three more houses, we came to the last house for the day.

I'm not being difficult either. I'm very good at managing money and being wise with it. I'd be a fool to say yes to the first house I see. This is a forever home for our family and we have to make a smart decision. Dave doesn't mind spending extra money and I'd agree if the house was perfect and that hasn't been the case this far. If I can find a $900,000 house with five bedrooms and bathrooms then I know I can find one bigger for our $1.5 budget. I will not be bamboozled.

"This is a six bedroom, seven bath home, 5,600 square feet, and falls right at your budget of $1.5."

"And that is what I like to hear. You see that babe? That's how you house hunt. Take notes." I smiled looking around the house. Very spacious and the backyard is amazing for the kids. I really like. "I'm feeling it. We're definitely going to do some more talking, but I really like this one."

"Dave?" Max looked over at him.

"Whatever the Queen wants." He gestured his hand toward me.

"Makes sense." Max laughed. We wrapped up with him and headed to Kaiden's school to pick him up.

Ugh I don't want to go back to North Carolina. The vibe there is terrible and I don't want to be around all those people. I haven't even told anyone down there that I'm pregnant again. Not even my mother. Why haven't I told my mother? Well-

"Hey I'm sorry about earlier. I ain't mean to do all that. I just didn't want you to stress over the price of the house. You know I always got you." Dave said which took me away from my own thoughts.

"Yeah I know. I just don't want you spending extra money that you don't have to. As you can see I'm good at my job." I smiled and grabbed his hand.

"Yeah." He chuckled and leaned over for a kiss, of course I met him halfway. "You talk to ya moms?" He asked afterwards.

"No." I sighed and sat back in my seat.

"Why not? What's wrong?" He looked at me concerned.

I sighed again. I should just tell him. I honestly should have been told him, but it's a not so great moment of my life. "Can I be honest?"

"You know you can always keep it a buck wit me."

"Okay so my mom and I-" I was interrupted again by my phone ringing. It was actually my mom. "This is her calling." I announced and picked it up. "Hello?" We made it to Kaiden's school and Dave jumped out to get him while I had my phone conversation.

My mom was speaking so fast that I could barely understand her. She was in distress and sobbing over the phone and all I could make out was "nana" and "the hospital". I was scared and I could feel my breath being snatched away from me. My vision was blurry from my own tears forming and the car felt like it was spinning. I dropped my phone and opened the passenger door quickly so I could throw up. Why is this happening? Why right now?

—————

Dave's POV

We rushed to the hospital as soon as we touched down in Charlotte, where Faith's grandmother lived. I came back to the car after getting Kaiden and saw her freaking out. She told me what was wrong after it took me five minutes to calm her down. She explained that her grandmother was in the hospital and shit wasn't too good. We picked Kairi up and took a flight straight here.

It's real quiet in here. Her mom and a few other family members were in here including Ella and her mom. Of course Kairi and Ella were excited to finally see each other and they have been chillin with each other since we got here a few hours ago. Kaiden decided to be the annoying lil nigga he is and bother them so that's what he's been doing. Faith is zoned out and rubbing her stomach. Her grandmother being in here is really hitting her hard. I guess they are really close although she's never really talked about her with me.

"Hey baby we're about to head to the house. It's getting late. I think you should come to the house and get some rest. I know you and the babies are tired." I told her we were expecting twins when she saw us come in since Faith hasn't said a word.

"I'm okay." She finally spoke and continued to look off into space.

Her mom was about to say something else, but I spoke before she could. "It's alright, Ms. Henderson. I'll be here with her."

"I already told you to call me mom." She patted my shoulder and warmly smiled even thought it was a very small smile. "I'll take the grandkids with me and we'll see you guys at the house." Everybody walked out together after we gave our children kisses and it was just Faith and I.

"Tell me what's up. I know you over there thinking bout something." I rubbed her thigh softly and she leaned her head on my shoulder. I kissed her forehead while we sat there.

"The reason why I haven't talked to my mom lately is because we're a work in progress." She finally said after a little bit of silence.

"Whatchu mean?"

"I mean that we were never close. We were trying some years back, around the time I met you, and every time we get somewhere, I pull back because of the past." I didn't say anything because I wanted to give her the opportunity to talk. "Truth is we didn't really start talking until about six years ago and that was because my nana forced me to. I was holding onto a grudge."

"Which was?"

"Remember how I told you my dad died?"

"Yeah?"

"Well after that happened, my mother had to raise me on her own, but it was hard for her. She was very depressed and it caused her to drop the ball on raising me the right way. She was heartbroken. That was her first love and to have him snatched away from her was a lot to deal with. Especially since she said I reminded her of him so much. It broke her heart looking at me everyday. She eventually turned to drugs and it winded her up into some trouble. I think that's why I have a problem with substance abuse when you and I go through our shit." She chuckled while wiping her face.

"But um I was taken away from my biological mother and my nana, my dad's mom, raised me for most of my life. From two years old up until I was seventeen. That's why I'm so hurt right now. That woman back there is my mom. She raised me and did a hell of a job."

"Damn Faith. I'm so sorry." I pulled her more into me and just held her. I know she needed it and I'm glad I can be here for her. I'm also thankful for her opening up to me. After all these years of us kickin it, I never knew any of this about her. It makes sense why she is the way she is. She's had trouble with her own mother and that's why she was nervous about becoming one. She didn't want our child to grow up like her. She didn't want to fail.

The doctor came up to us and let us know that we could go and see the woman that raised her. We walked in and she was hooked up to a lot of machines. Faith wobbled over to the chair beside her bed to sit down and started to stroke her hair softly. The dark skin woman slowly opened her eyes and weakly smiled at Faith.

"Hey dumpling." Her voice came out weak.

"Hey ma." Faith sniffled and smiled back.

"I haven't seen you in a while."

"I know ma. I'm sorry." She continued to sniffle. I know she's trying to hold back her tears.

"Why you crying girl? Wipe your face."

Faith quickly did and straighten up. "What happened ma?"

"I'm getting old, baby. I'm not working like I used to." That's all it took for Faith to place her head on the bed and start crying. "It's gone be alright, baby. It's gone be alright." The woman pulled her hand up and rubbed the back of Faith's head that was resting by her side. "This your husband? Very sexy young man." She asked without even looking over at me.

"Oh hi. I'm David. The boyfriend." I walked over. I was trying to give them their moment.

"Boyfriend and you gave my baby some babies?" She finally looked over at me. She looked serious and scary as hell.

"Uh I..." I trailed off. The hell do I say to that. I definitely did do that.

"We've been together for a while ma." Faith got herself together and said.

"I'm just messin. Let me see my great grandson and that beautiful baby girl."

"He's getting so big. He gone be just as tall as that boy." She said referring to me.

(Definitely not Kairi, but our lil sis had to grow up a little bit.)

"She is so precious. Look at all that hair. This your payback for having me do all that hair on your head." She laughed. The two of them started to reminisce about old stories of when Faith was younger. Her grandmother told me all about how little Faith was growing up and it gave me a better understanding of her and it was good to see her smiling so brightly.

As they were laughing she started to cough shortly after. Faith jumped up and was about to get her water, but I told her to have a seat. I helped her grandmother drink some of the water and she rested her head back down. I didn't know she knew about Kairi. Faith's family is very accepting of me and my daughter and I'm thankful for that. "How far along are you?"

"Twenty seven weeks." Faith lightly smiled and rubbed her stomach.

"My great grand babies. They gone be pretty just like they nana." She smiled.

"Ma how you know they're twins and girls?" Faith asked shocked.

"You know I always knew things before you. You could never get nothing by me, chile. Now I want you to get out of here and get some rest. I'm gone be alright. You know I love you and my grandchildren with all my heart."

"I love you too ma." Faith stood up and hugged her for a few minutes. "I'm going to come back and see you tomorrow morning."

"What did I say? Rest. Don't worry about me." She scolded her. "Now wait outside while I talk to this young man."

"Yes ma'am." She made her way to the door.

"Faith." Her nana called out to her and she turned around. "Stop giving the boy a hard time."

"Yes ma'am. I'll be right outside when you're done babe." She said and left out.

"Have a seat." She said once the door closed and I obeyed. She studied me for a minute before she spoke. "You remind me of my son." I didn't speak because I didn't know what to say to that. "He wasn't a perfect man, but he was a loving man. I can see that you love my little girl very much and I know you two go through some things, I know you two have gone through some things, but I know that this is something that will last. I've never seen her so happy and vulnerable. She was completely closed off until recent years when I found out about you." She paused to cough.

"All I'm saying is that, I know Faith can be difficult. I know that, but bare with her. You have to get her in line when you feel disrespected. At times she turns into a very overbearing person and it can be a lot to handle, but I know that you are the one for her. Thank you for saving my dumpling from herself."

I nodded taking everything in that she was saying. She's very wise and she might be dropping keys so I need to pay attention. "David. I'm so weak. I'm trying to fight, but it's getting hard. I'm going to be with my father in heaven and I'm going to need you to be there for her. She feels that I'm all that she has and I need you to reassure her that she has you." She coughed again. "In that drawer over there is a letter. I wrote it for her last week with what little strength I had. It took me three hours to write is and to make it perfect for her. She's always been one to please." She laughed. "I want you to give it to her a week after I go and be there when she reads it. She going to need you."

"Yes ma'am." I stood up and grabbed the letter out of the drawer. I placed it in the inside of my coat in the pocket.

"Thanks again David. You are a good man. A little rough just like my dumpling, but a good man." She smiled. "You take care and although I don't know you that well, I love you for loving my baby and I can't wait until you propose. I'll be watching." Yo how did she know that?

"When should I do it?" I asked referring to the proposal.

"I can't tell you that, but you'll know son. You'll know."

I lightly smiled and hugged her. I felt a airy feeling when I hugged her and stood back up. I don't know what it was, but this woman is different. "Take care Ms..." I trailed off because I didn't know her name.

"Call me Nana Lena."

"Alright Nana Lena. I'll see you later."

"David." She called out before I could walk out the door. "Lela is a nice name don't you think?"

I thought for a second. "Yeah Lela is a nice name." I lightly smiled and walked out. (Pronounced Layla, but different spelling.)

Faith and I left the hospital and went to her mom's house to get some rest. It was a little after nine in the evening, but we were so tired that we we showered and went straight to sleep. A little past four in the morning Faith got the call that her grandmother passed away. It was a peaceful death, but of course she distraught. All I can do is be here for her like Nana Lena told me to do.

Her grandmother already knew that she was going to die in the early mornings and I'm so thankful that God allowed them to sit and converse with each other one last time. I guess this was really the reason why we needed to be here for Thanksgiving.

—————

Thoughts?

Sorry it took me so long. I was being lazy and then I'm also preparing to move back on campus on Saturday, so I've been kind of busy these last couple days.

Anyways thanks for reading 💙

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121K 3K 69
Dave east falls in love with a Amaria! They get to know each other for a little bit before she friend zones him. Dave is not able to resist Amaria an...
48.7K 2.4K 19
short story!
196K 5.8K 24
Lani meets Dave East, a guy who changes her whole life and saves her from herself. *Warning: Sexual Content* *Photos included* *Written in first per...