The Tiger King (Chaelisa)

By Dreamofshadows

Fight for glory. Fight for honour. Fight for Love. Flirting expert Lisa is a competitive boxer and reluctant... More

Author's Note
Of Monsters and Men
1| In the Ring
2| Drinks
3| Morning-Afters
4| Bagels
5| Welcome to the Vault
6| Sisters
7| Memories
8| Before
9| Maybe
10| Stiff
11| Chat
12| Fall
13| Disapprove
14| Proxy
15| Plan
16| Decision
17| Upset
18| Neighbour
19| Meet
20| Frustration
21| Almost
22|Stuck
23| Do-over
24| Getting to know you
26| Irene
27| Visitors
28| Progress
29| Monday
30| Still Me
31| Test
32| Fight
33| Proposal
34| Rosé's Meeting
35| Change
36| White Lie
37| Confessions: Part 1
37| Confessions: Part 2
38| Understanding
39| The First Match
40| Late Night Call
41| Bao Bao
42| Ringmaster
43| Mischief and Mayhem: Part 1
44| Mischief and Mayhem: Part 2
45| The Case of the Two Jinyoungs
46| Preparation
47| Party People
48| Monster
Interlude: No Saints, All Sinners
49| Angels
50| Fallout
51| Beneath the Tree
52| Of McDonald's, Movies and Makeouts
53| Waking Up
54| Jjimjilbang Day
55| Conversations
56| Outing
57| Outing Pt. 2
58| Sunlight & Cuddles
59| Curiosity Killed the Cat...
60| ...But Satisfaction Brought It Back
61| Lights Out, Dahyun
62| Phone Calls
63| Beavers and Penguins
64| Omens
65| Trouble in Paradise
66| Pizza Time
67| Freefall
68| Last Girl Standing
69| Spiralling
70| Lost
71| Gone
72| Jennie's Story
73| Playing with Fire
74| The Sins of Our Mothers
75| The Forest of Fear
76| Enemy Of My Enemy
77| A New Deal
:P
78| And They Were Roommates
79| The Gangnam Gambit
80| No Time To Die
81| The Secrets of Our Fathers
82| Die Another Day
83| The Darkest Hour
84| You Only Live Twice
85| You and Me
:P (pt.2)
86| Tell Me (No) Lies
87| Tell Me (No) Lies Pt.2
:P (pt.3)
88| Old Friends, New Faces
89| Son of the Tiger
90| Negotiations
91| Visits

25| Girl Talk

2.3K 149 101
By Dreamofshadows

"Honestly you should slow down," Somi said to Jennie with lips pursed, "or anyone might think you have...energy drinkism."

Jennie merely gave her a tight-lipped smile. She sipped her can of Monster energy and drummed her fingers restlessly as her knee bounced. "This is only my second can. I got plenty left."

"It's not even the weekend. Why are you even drinking that?"

"Nerves, I told you," Jennie said shortly, "if Lisa doesn't get along with that Rosé today, it's all for nothing, I don't know how else to break through that slump of hers. It's the crucial make-or-break chance."

She sipped again, thoughtful. "Not to mention she was still mad at me about her rescheduled match..."

"Well, you could have had water, it's healthier," Somi lectured, "what kind of trainer are you?"

"A bad one, clearly."

"Unnie!"

"I'm a trainer, not a health-freak," Jennie reasoned, "I'm allowed to make bad decisions. You just pretend I'm drinking something healthy to get rid of my nerves."

"Energy drinks don't get rid of your nerves."

"Alcohol doesn't get rid of your problems, yet everyone collectively drinks it to pretend it can do that," Jennie shrugged, "same difference."

"It's making you more tense for heaven's sake, look at you unnie, you're strung up like a rubber band! Chaeyoung, tell her!"

The petite boxer working out on the hanging balloon glanced in their direction at the call of her name. "What?"

"Tell Jennie to stop drinking!" Somi urged.

Chaeyoung shrugged. "Better than biting her nails, I guess. Each to her own. Or is it 'his own'?" Chaeyoung rubbed her chin and frowned. "Why is language always gravitating towards male pronouns to illustrate examples-"

"Not helping, Chae!"

"What?" Chaeyoung defended as she redirected her attention back to Somi, "I'm all in favour of everyone being a free spirit and do whatever the hell they like, you know?"

Somi rounded on the girl doing press-ups nearby. "Dahyun! Knock some sense into Jennie unnie!"

"One sec," Dahyun puffed as she performed three more push-ups before sitting back, sweaty and red in the face. "What sense?"

Somi gestured exasperatedly at Jennie cracking open her third can. Dahyun raised her shoulders.

"Well, if it's her coping method-"

"Ughhhhhh you're all useless!"

"Pipe down little girl, leave Jennie alone and text your boyfriend, he might be missing you," Chaeyoung teased, "he seems to be taking the liberty to hang around you a lot these days, isn't he?"

Jennie smiled as she watched Chaeyoung and Dahyun gang up to tease a protesting Somi.

"Mimi and Daehwi are sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S--"

"Rot in hell!"

"Ladies, ladies! Hold, pause, time out! I forgot my popcorn," Jennie called out, pretending to pull a bowl across her lap and gobbling down a fistful of popcorn with obnoxiously loud noises as she stared fixedly at the three girls in front of her. "Okay, un-pause."

Somi rolled her eyes as the other two laughed. "Real mature of you unnie."

"Oh I'm not an unnie right now, Lisa isn't here," Jennie winked.

"That's where you're wrong!" boomed a voice from the Vault entrance.

All four whipped their heads around to behold Lisa swaggering into the gym with the widest smirk on her face. She spread out her arms in front of her.

"Greetings, my greasy harlots. Having fun without Daddy, are we?" she drawled.

"LISA!" Everyone groaned in disgust, rolling their eyes before dissolving into laughter.

Jennie was the first to recover and stood up to greet her sister. "Seems it went...well?" she said hesitantly, searching for traces of sulkiness on Lisa's face.

But Lisa was still smiling. "Quite well I would say. I'll tell you about it in a minute too, but first..."

She shed her jacket and dropped her knapsack in Jennie's hands before slowly making her way to the nearest punching bag.

Before anyone could register what was happening, Lisa was hammering her forehead into the punching bag, knocking against the fabric with hard dull thuds as she roared. "SOMI!"

Jennie, Dahyun and Chaeyoung glanced at the quaking girl in plaits.

"Y-yeah?" Somi said, mustering all her remaining confidence which had all but evaporated.

Lisa abruptly stopped, turning to the others with the same fixed smile on her face. She took a deep breath.

"Mimi, you seemed like you forgot to mention a detail or two about Rosie..." she began calmly.

Somi's brows furrowed. "Like what?"

"LIKE THE FACT SHE HAS A DAUGHTER MAYBE?" Lisa bellowed. She fell face-first on to the nearest mat and covered her face in embarrassment as she folded up her legs and rolled back and forth on the mat, her voice betraying just how appalled she was.

"...and there I was, flirting and teasing like mad after we made up so nicely BUT TURNS OUT she is a straight Mom with a kid, do you have any idea what that makes me look like?!" Lisa wailed.

"A desperate slut?"

"Chaeyoung, not now," Dahyun warned.

Lisa was still complaining and wallowing in her misery. "Mimi you betrayed me! I thought you were my friend! I am...disgusted." Her lips twitched into a weak smile as she glanced at Somi and the latter shook her head.

"Fine, three chicken buckets, you drama queen."

"Technically it's four but you weren't there for the third, so I'll let it slide..."

"Roseanne...has a kid?" Jennie asked.

"Yeah, Ella's her name. She's sweet," Somi nodded over Lisa's loud grouching and grumbling, "she honestly slipped my mind-she doesn't hang around while her mom is doing the sessions."

"Why are all the hot girls taken? Or they're Moms? Or non-existent?" Lisa groaned.

"Well if it's any consolation, you could be Mommy and Daddy together," Somi laughed but quickly shook her head. "Actually forget I said that, it's too disgusting to think about."

"Must be a really disciplined kid then," Jennie said, impressed. "Toddlers can be quite a handful, barging around-"

"Nah, Ella is eight, unnie," Somi shook her head. She sighed when Jennie's eyes widened.

"Eight? But...but you said her mother is twenty-two!" Jennie gasped.

"Teenage pregnancy," Somi said quietly, "Rosé was only fourteen. And....and she never mentioned Ella's dad, nor did I ever see any sign of anyone living with them..."

"A single Mom..."

"So young, poor thing..."

"Did she go to college?"

"I guess? How else would she be a licensed pilates instructor?"

"Um well now you're making me look bad Mimi, I never had any formal training to be a trainer-"

"Raising a kid at that age, that must take so much guts..."

"Hey!" Lisa said indignantly. The other girls fell silent, turning to the boxer.

They hadn't realised Lisa was quietly listening to Somi's explanation. Her face darkened when the other girls started passing remarks and now she stood up with a fierce expression. "Rosie's doing a magnificent job raising that kid all by herself. Stop pitying her like that, it's so belittling!"

Lisa eyed her audience sternly. "I bet you anything Rosie's a great Mom to Ella. I didn't see much, but it's obvious they're close. And Ella's a bright, sweet kid that will get far in life, I just know it! You can't judge a person without knowing what they went through, now, can you?"

Jennie looked away, shame tinting her face pink. She was fully-aware of the implication laced within Lisa's words, aimed directly at her.

Because Jennie knew better than to judge someone without knowing their story.

"Sorry Lis," Chaeyoung muttered, echoed by Dahyun and Somi. Lisa nodded in approval then turned to her sister expectantly.

"Sorry," Jennie said quietly. Lisa's dark face immediately cleared like the sun peeking from behind dark storm clouds.

"Apology accepted y'all, turn those frowns upside down!" she chuckled, "now, what else? Oh right! Rosie has a cat!"

Dahyun raised an eyebrow. "Okay..."

"No but like, a cat cat! You know? An actual living cat!" Lisa gesticulated wildly. "And it has these gleaming expressive eyes and the softest coat of fur..."

"She loves cats," Jennie explained, smiling as her sister gushed about the feline.

"...and then I held my hand out like this and it just walked over and rubbed its head against my hand! I couldn't believe it! Her name's Bori. She was so friendly, she even let me rub her belly!"

"Oh yeah, that's their cat, seen it a couple times," Somi nodded. "But it usually just lounges in the kitchen."

"That reminds me," Lisa said, "Mimi, come here, I wanna talk to ya, one-on-one. C'mere, come on."

"What?" Somi said warily, not budging an inch from her place next to Jennie. Lisa folded her arms, her eyes taking on an intimidating gleam.

"An interesting thing I learned today," Lisa said conversationally, "is that Rosie had never in her life drunken detox kale juice."

She eyed the squirming girl in front of her closely. "Care to explain your claim of buddy juice drinking sessions then?"

"It was a joke you idiot!" Somi burst out, "because you're so obsessed with that stupid juice thing!"

"YAAAAAHHHHHH!" Lisa roared as she gave chase around the area, "you made me look like an idiot in front of her! Come back here you brat!"

"Ooohhhh someone's worried their crush won't like them!" Somi called out as she nimbly avoided Lisa, "you guys, quick, with me! ROSIE AND LISA-"

"-ARE SITTING IN A TREE!" Chaeyoung and Dahyun picked up immediately. "K-I-S-S-I-N-G! FIRST COMES LOVE, THEN COMES-"

Lisa veered away from Somi and charged at the chanting duo who scarpered, squealing in unison.

"Okay, that's enough," Jennie said at last as she stifled her smirk, deciding to act responsible again. "Quit it."

Jennie's voice was drowned out by Somi and Lisa, currently engaged in a wrestling match while Chaeyoung and Dahyun cheered them on.

"Come on Mimi, take her down!"

"An uppercut, give it her! No a hook! Jab! Jab!"

Jennie walked up to thrashing duo with her two empty cans and chucked one at Lisa's head.

"OW WHAT THE-"

Jennie threw the other can but Lisa quickly dodged it as she released Somi and fell on her back.

"Great, now that you stopped strangling each other, mind telling us what else went on during your session? I will have to leave pretty soon. Jeongyeon will already be miffed as it is that I'm going in late."

"Yeah, what went on with your crush?" Somi grinned, already fully recovered. Lisa gave a tight smile.

"She's...she's not my crush Somi. She's...got Ella. She's...just a friend," Lisa explained in resigned tones, fidgeting with her wrist and making it click repeatedly. Jennie sucked in a breath, recognising her sister's agitation and put out a hand to stop her movements.

Somi rolled her eyes. "Well, aside from your unsuccessful romantic pursuits, what else?"

"My romantic pursuits aren't unsuccessful you brat!" Lisa fired hotly.

"Oh yes, there's an army of your girlfriends fighting at the door, just to come in and see you." Somi shrugged.

"OOOOOOH!" Chaeyoung and Dahyun echoed.

Lisa sighed in defeat. "Okay, okay. Well, like I said, we made-up so we're okay now. Did a few more exercises and I do feel more loose, although still a bit sore. And then we talked about my lifestyle a bit. Rosie's thinking that I should cut back on training so hard and just...go out with people. Even a relaxing walk in a park or something."

She snorted before picking up again. "Huh! Cut back on boxing training? Just because I got a bit of a slump? What am I, a daisy? Pilates will fix me up and we'll hit the ring again before you-"

"Maybe she has a point," Jennie mused.

"What?" Lisa balked, shaking her head furiously. "Oh come on, not you too!"

"I know we've been at it practically non-stop for the past few years," Jennie sighed, "but perhaps, a change will help-I mean, clearly, our method wasn't working much now, was it?"

"I'm fine!" Lisa exclaimed, glaring at the doubtful faces around her. "Okay, I admit, maybe there was mental tension, whatever-but the point is physically I'm okay, I don't need breaks! I can handle it all!" She gazed at Jennie pleadingly. "Look, I just need to work more on technique and start taking my game more seriously, that's all! I don't need to...to power walk and all that sissy stuff!"

"You really talk like a macho guy," Somi sighed. "Lis, we're all just trying to help you."

"Well, find a way to help me without cutting down on my boxing training!" Lisa said petulantly. "Because I can't go without that!"

"Alright, alright, we'll discuss that another time," Jennie said pacifyingly. "Did she say anything about the sessions? Frequency perhaps? Or anything about future sessions?"

"Oh, yeah. She said it would be good to keep them up regularly, like twenty minutes each day something, and an hour something else..." Lisa scratched her head. "Oh seems like I forgot. Welp, better go work out on my punching a bit."

Jennie pursed her lips. "Don't make me call her to find out exactly what she said.."

"You wouldn't."

"Watch me."

"You don't even have credit on the phone."

"I might have topped it when you weren't around."

"You're bluffing."

"Shall we find out?"

"Go right ahead."

"Maybe I will."

"Fine."

"Fine." Jennie took out her phone as Lisa looked on impassively.

Somi, Chaeyoung and Dahyun watched the fiery exchange with interest, their heads flicking left, right, left, right, left, right as though they were in a tennis match.

Jennie raised her phone to her ear and pressed down a button, eyeing Lisa who stared back in challenge.

"You're bluffing," Lisa said again but this time her voice turned hesitant once they heard the dialling tone.

"You still think so?" Jennie smirked. "Let me turn the volume right up."

"Oh jeez this is so tense, pass the popcorn," Somi said excitedly as Lisa scowled.

"Oh whatever, do what the heck you want!" Lisa sulked and went to the nearest punching bag to start on a set of punching and jabbing in rapid succession.

"Stubborn mule..." Jennie sighed before she perked up as soon as a soft "Hello?" reverberated in her ear.

"Ms Park? Lisa Kim's sister here, hello," Jennie said pleasantly, suppressing the growing smirk as Lisa started punching harder.

"Oh, Ms Kim, hi, hello. Anything I can help you with?"

"As a matter of fact yes. If it's not too much trouble, and also because my little sister seems to have the memory of a goldfish, would you mind repeating the information regarding the frequency and intensity of the sessions?"

"Oh of course no problem! So I suggested light core exercises on the mat-with time, she can even start doing them by herself without my help. The routines should last approximately twenty minutes to allow for general tension release. Then and additional two pilates equipment class per week lasting around an hour."

"And that would be the ideal workout?"

"To keep the body healthy and bones strong as well as maintain body alignment, yes," Rosé replied.

"Thank you very much for your time Ms Park, I hope you have a good evening."

"No trouble at all Ms Kim. Have a good evening as well. Bye!"

"Bye," Jennie replied in English as well and the line went dead.

Dahyun and Chaeyoung looked at Jennie curiously.

"You speak English?" they asked in unison.

"Apparently so does Rosie." Lisa's mouth was hanging. "How didn't I notice...Mimi, you never said anything!"

"Jeez, was I supposed to report her bra size too?" Somi retorted. "Yeah she speaks English, because she's an Aussie. I don't know when she moved here."

"I didn't know you know English," Dahyun said to Jennie, who shrugged.

"I lived in New Zealand for five years," she said nonchalantly by way of explanation.

"English is my second language too," Lisa put in, making Dahyun and Chaeyoung turn to her with gawking faces. "What?"

"And how come I never heard you speaking it?" Chaeyoung asked curiously. Lisa rubbed the back of her neck, shy.

"Oh well I don't like to brag uhm...but you did hear me and Somi quote those vines and references."

"Anyone can learn them! It's just bits and pieces of English," Chaeyoung said dismissively, "so, you and Jennie been to New Zealand, how cool! Are there really lots of sheep?"

"Er...I haven't been actually," Lisa mumbled. "I just...knew English...um..."

"You didn't go with your sister?" Dahyun looked from Jennie to Lisa, brow furrowed. "Wait, then how did you learn it? And your parents? What happened-"

"I knew English all my life because I lived in Canada before Dad and I moved here," Somi said loudly, "you know, after the funeral. So yeah, anybody wants an English tutor, I volunteer! I brought Lisa up to speed too because she was a little rusty."

"And may the odds be ever in your favour if you do have the misfortune to be taught by Miss Umbridge here," Lisa said in impeccable English, slapping her thigh in the process as she cackled. "Now that's what I call a double wham combo, Mimi!"

Somi groaned. "Fine. Five chicken buckets. I'll get my payback soon, you'll see," she promised as the others laughed.

"It's karma for tricking me," Lisa winked, "run along now, poor Matt has been honking out there for a while now."

And indeed it had grown quite late- they had barely noticed the blaring car horn outside.

Jennie cursed under her breath and scrambled to gather her belongings in terrible haste. Somi grabbed her bag and rushed out, gabbling a goodbye. Chaeyoung started packing up in haste, muttering incoherently. Dahyun followed suit but her attention was mostly focused on Jennie who was speaking some final words with Lisa.

Jennie joined them as they left the Vault with Chaeyoung insisting on driving her to the diner. Jennie eventually gave in after some weak protesting. She sat shotgun, arm trailing in the breeze out of the rolled-down window.

Dahyun watched the brunette closely in the side-mirror, wondering and wondering.

She had so many questions about Jennie and Lisa now that she was growing closer to them. Although Chaeyoung had been a longer member of the Vault, she knew precious little about them as well.

Dahyun's sharp eyes had noticed the change in demeanour in the Kim siblings when pressed for answers until Somi stepped in. Dahyun's appetite for knowledge was whetted; her interest in Jennie and Lisa and their unorthodox lifestyle grew day by day.

She watched as Chaeyoung drew up to the diner and Jennie stepped out, bidding them thanks and goodnight.

"You okay back there Dubu?" Chaeyoung asked, glancing in the overhead mirror as they drove away. "You're quiet.

"Mmm. Thinking."

"About Jennie?"

Dahyun chuckled. "It's that obvious?"

Chaeyoung shrugged, tapping on the wheel. "You're majoring in journalism, I think it goes without saying that they'd pique your interest. They got the kind of vibe about them that attracts the likes of you."

"Don't they make you the least bit curious? Didn't you see how they reacted when-"

"Jennie and Lisa are nice people," Chaeyoung said quietly, "so I hope your snooping and sniffing won't scare them away."

"I don't mean any harm," Dahyun defended, "Momo is a jerk but yeah, Jennie and Lisa are different from her. I'm just...curious. I can't help myself is all. Don't you wonder just a little bit about their past? About who they really are and how they came to be living in that?"

Chaeyoung gave a little grunt but didn't comment again, knowing well enough there was no stopping her friend when she set her mind to an investigation. Dahyun sat back in her seat and lost herself in thought as they cruised through the dark deserted streets.

"How are you and Momo by the way?" Chaeyoung said at length. Dahyun merely released a quiet sigh and Chaeyoung understood.

******************

another update we're still building folks

i know i know, i'm just as impatient believe me :-P

but we'll get there one day, hopefully

in the mean time, hope you enjoy!

thanks for dropping by to read, vote and comment!

adios and have a good day/night.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.8K 817 56
Lisa hated her. Everything about her. Fucking Miss Perfect. Rich parents, pretty face, good grades and by the way also the schools student representa...
339K 11.4K 52
BEFORE YOU READ - ⚠️Warning: Cringy as AF, I SWEAR THIS BOOK GETS WEIRDER AS IT GOES ON. (You've been warned, seriously) Jennie a CEO of Gucci and...
287K 9.9K 17
Jennie is about to get married in a month as excitement washes all over her mind and body like other brides should have. She spreads the news to eve...
456K 11K 22
Rated 18+ for lesbian sex scenes and crude language. Lisa has been bullied for her size and out of place because she was taller than most boys. Howe...